Question for Vinnie (BV) or anyone else that knows about metal engraving

RobBase

BAMF
I've got a couple 80% AR-15 lowers I bought a long time ago,........took them out and
noticed they don't have the "FIRE/SAFE" engraving on them.
If possible, what would be the best way to try to engrave/etch/stamp the lettering into their sides.
They're 7075 forged aluminum and the only tools I have that are close are a Dremel and
also a smaller cable run Dremel moto tool.
I don't mind having to buy some carbide burrs, but I can't figure out how to make a stencil for this.

Any ideas?

OP
RobBase

RobBase

BAMF
Rob,

Do you have a trophy house nearby, we use to use them for our 1919A4
side plates.
Thanks T&B, that's an excellent idea. There is a trophy shop 10 minutes from my house I always look at
whenever I drive by. I'll give them a call, hopefully they're 2ndA friendly or perhaps they don't even know
what a 80% lower is.

OP
RobBase

RobBase

BAMF
Can you etch them chemically? Or a dab of red paint for the fire position.
I mean I can always drill a small hole in the Fire and Safe positions and fill them with red and white paint
but my OCD compels me in funny ways.

Cannot speak to the condition of the 7075 and what HT condition it is in but I suspect it is T6. There are lot's of ways to do this but it would involve you buying equipment that cost a lot more than the one time lower marking you want to do.

My choice for a one time cheap as possible solution would be a metal stamp. You will have to practice on surface hardened like hard metal because it is going to want to bounce. To try and hand engrave will look like ass unless done by a professional. My .02.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
At my local gun store, they have a LASER engraver on one of the counters with something usually being cooked in it. You can watch it thru the glass.

OP
RobBase

RobBase

BAMF
Cannot speak to the condition of the 7075 and what HT condition it is in but I suspect it is T6. There are lot's of ways to do this but it would involve you buying equipment that cost a lot more than the one time lower marking you want to do.

My choice for a one time cheap as possible solution would be a metal stamp. You will have to practice on surface hardened like hard metal because it is going to want to bounce. To try and hand engrave will look like ass unless done by a professional. My .02.
You are correct, I didn't specify fully, the lowers are 7075-T6 aluminum.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Rob...
if it can machine/laser engraved... You really don't need me...

i would think you could also stamp them if you can still get some metal behind it for support.

but my engraving skills usually is trying to recreate missing letters on the inside of a worn ring...

wish i could be more helpful

OP
RobBase

RobBase

BAMF
Thanks Vinnie. I wasn't asking you to engrave them for me, just if you had any tips
for a DIY'er. But I'm gonna try the local trophy shop and see what they can do.

Stetson

BAMF
I haven't searched for this, but I would imagine there are places you could send it off to, who could do exactly what you want, for less than you could do it for yourself.

Can totally understand not wanting to mail away gun parts at the moment too, though.

OP
RobBase

RobBase

BAMF
Me either. I was hoping for a cheap way to do it myself at home. I'm not mailing
any gun parts anywhere at times like these.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
This is mind, has SEMI & SMG stamped in it, safety is for pussies!
Actually, the safety is just above the trigger on the right side.

Stetson

BAMF
If I was doing one on a blank receiver, I've always liked the little bullet icons on some of the HKs.

Top Bottom