Porsche Taycan

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/pro...602.html#4c8cffdd-b8d6-4a50-b994-31e137ce9d8e

The name can be roughly translated as “lively young horse”, referencing the imagery at the heart of the Porsche crest, which has featured a leaping steed since 1952. “Our new electric sports car is strong and dependable; it’s a vehicle that can consistently cover long distances and that epitomises freedom”, explains Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG. The oriental name also signifies the launch of the first electric sports car with the soul of a Porsche. Porsche announced the name for its first purely electric series as part of the “70 years of sports cars” ceremony.

Two permanently excited synchronous motors (PSM) with a system output of over 600 hp (440 kW) accelerate the electric sports car to 100 km/h in well under 3.5 seconds and to 200 km/h in under twelve seconds. This performance is in addition to a continuous power level that is unprecedented among electric vehicles: Multiple jump starts are possible in succession without loss of performance, and the vehicle’s maximum range is over 500 km in accordance with the NEDC.

Attachments

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
That's the best looking four door sports car I've ever seen.
A little bland for a two door.
But great for a four door, as far as that goes.

BigHock

BAMF
I like how it’s very up to date looking for an electric car, but the genius in the design, is it looks like a Porsche. The front is a bit sharp, but the windows and the rear fenders over the wheels are all Porsche 911. The wheels might be Bruce Jennering up the look. These days, I’m not too sure.

Brokenfly

BAMF
maybe one of these to charge with.

[video=youtube;GlrcPrzuPMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlrcPrzuPMM[/video]

Last edited:

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Turbo S

• 21-inch wheels
  • System torque - 774 lb-ft
  • Overboost - 560 kW (750hp)
  • 0-60 - 2.6s (with launch control)
  • 162 mph top speed
  • Range - 388 - 412 km
  • Charging time - 5-80% in 22.5 min

Turbo

• 20-inch wheels
  • System torque - 626 lb-ft
  • Overboost- 500 kW (670hp)
  • 0-60 - 3.0s
  • 162 mph top speed
  • Range - 381- 450 km
  • Charging time - 5-80% in 22.5 min

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Cockpit looks busy compared to the Model 3

I figure they steered away from a central touchscreen since they can't match Tesla in the UI/X and software space

Good move sticking to a traditional switch gear layout, it's what they're better at

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Still no word on launch date

The only milestone here is the press reveal

They'll sell every copy

Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla follows up with Roadster teasers in the coming weeks

Last edited:

Austin_F

BAMF+
Porsche will still be in business if Tesla gets dismantled.

Let's hope not.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'm still wait on Westinghouse's version of an electric automocar.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
That's the best looking four door sports car I've ever seen.
Too bad its the prototype that will never see the light of day.

The reality is much more muted (as usual for cookie cutter autos).

Porsche Taycan revealed: This is not the early adopter’s EV

Some interesting notes from that article...

They are calling them "Turbo" and "Turbo S" as a naming convention to indicate performance despite the fact that neither model has a turbo. Odd, but whatever works for them. My notes below in bold.

1) Both cars have a top speed of 162 mph (260 kph); 0-60 mph takes 3.0 seconds for the Taycan Turbo and just 2.6 seconds for the Taycan Turbo S (Tesla P100D is rated at 2.4 seconds, but actual is 2.28 seconds). Porsche says the cars will run a quarter-mile in 11.1 and 10.8 seconds, respectively. And this is repeatable over 10 times in a row, Porsche promises.

2) This is impressive even before you consider that the Taycan Turbo weighs -- per Germany’s DIN standards -- 2,305 kilograms, or nearly 5,082 pounds. The Turbo S weighs 2,295 kilograms, or 5,060 pounds (Tesla P100D is 4941 pounds). Expect a U.S. curb weight around 5,121 pounds because all of the Taycans we’re getting will be equipped with a glass roof. That’s loaded Cayenne territory. Fortunately, the Taycan has the lowest center of gravity of any vehicle Porsche has built; putting a whole bunch of batteries way down low will help with that.

3) Porsche has not released EPA figures for the Taycan yet, but according to WLTP, the Taycan Turbo will go between 237 and 280 miles (381-450 kilometers) per charge, and the Turbo S between 241 and 256 miles (388-412 kilometers) (Tesla P100D is 285 miles).

Porsche looks like they are targeting the P100D specifically.

Friend of mine has had one on reserve for a couple months. Once he gets it, I'll post my experience here.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Not my numbers, just trying to sift through all the noise out there

It does appear the Tycan is coming up short, though

I imagine the fit and finish will be superior to anything Tesla is producing and there will be a market for the Taycan

But my gut tells me the vast majority of EV buyers won't care, and the Porsche faithful will stick to their ICE cars. The EV market will be dominated by those who see cars as a utility, and software will rule

Last week the VW CEO caused a stir saying he'd love to buy Tesla, but not for the cars but to acquire the software talent

So Tesla for the win

Not my numbers, just trying to sift through all the noise out there

It does appear the Tycan is coming up short, though

I imagine the fit and finish will be superior to anything Tesla is producing and there will be a market for the Taycan

But my gut tells me the vast majority of EV buyers won't care, and the Porsche faithful will stick to their ICE cars. The EV market will be dominated by those who see cars as a utility, and software will rule

Last week the VW CEO caused a stir saying he'd love to buy Tesla, but not for the cars but to acquire the software talent

So Tesla for the win
Porsche is notorious for being conservative for their performance figures. I would wait to see what kind of times they are when tested independently.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
I've been closely watching all the youtubes being released about the car

The journos and Porsche are making a big deal out of the 800V platform

But it seams to me that Porsche is still very guarded about the specifics of the car

Sure, the fit and finish will be well beyond anything Tesla makes, and Porsche will sell every copy

But, I think they might have missed the mark, though. Given they are Porsche, I would've thought they'd release something that would've smashed every Tesla P100D #, but they didn't

And given that the Tesla roadster with SpaceX sourced cold air thrusters is due end of 2020, Porsche's fanfare may be short lived

Last edited:

Austin_F

BAMF+
It's possible the capability is there, to be later unveiled with a software update.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
It's possible the capability is there, to be later unveiled with a software update.
So far anything to do with over-the-air software updates or any autopilot capabilities are just speculation

I'm thinking software updates will have to be done at a dealer, which is lame in this day and age

I'm also thinking the Taycan autopilot will be prehistoric compared to the Tesla implementation

BigGar

high on placebo
Beautiful blend of a Fisker Karma and Model 3. Shame the biggest car company on the planet can't come up with something faster, with more range than Tesla's seven passenger pig. At least it's only about twice the price of the Tesla and can probably get more fast starts and stops in a row, which is super important in the real world because everyone tracks their four door sedans. I thought these big car companies were going to bury Elon & Co?

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
So far anything to do with over-the-air software updates or any autopilot capabilities are just speculation
Maybe slightly Tesla-fanboy-ish, but the article is sighting facts (opinions about "better interior" are of course subjective)...

Porsche Taycan demonstrates difficulty launching performance EV on Tesla turf - Electrek

I'm thinking software updates will have to be done at a dealer, which is lame in this day and age
Porsche (and others) are way behind... 7+ years to be more precise. They have a lot of ground to cover. I think a lot of the manufacturers are still in the mindset of "we need to make our cars into EV's". Wrong. Tesla started with that mindset in the original Roadster and quickly realized the whole concept needs to be re-thought, re-designed and re-engineered.

The journos and Porsche are making a big deal out of the 800V platform But it seams to me that Porsche is still very guarded about the specifics of the car
If it is truly released as an 800v system, it will be a performance dynamo. Range is going to suffer. You can have power or range... hard to have both with current battery technology. Batteries in series or in parallel.

Sure, the fit and finish will be well beyond anything Tesla makes, and Porsche will sell every copy
Likely yes, but the Porsche is twice the price. Elon wants his cars in the hands of everyone, not just the elite wealthy.

Given they are Porsche, I would've thought they'd release something that would've smashed every Tesla P100D #, but they didn't
Actually, they did.
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia
It was just made of unobtainium.

And given that the Tesla roadster with SpaceX sourced cold air thrusters is due end of 2020, Porsche's fanfare may be short lived
The Roadster (if it ever releases with the teaser specs) will silence the car industry. It will be the mic drop of performance for the next decade. You can quote that.

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Since no one seems to be acknowledging the more likely release design, let me just drop it here...

Nothing revolutionary. Not as slick as the prototype. Porsche playing it safe. A half-ass commitment to EV's which will likely generate half-ass response and they will take it as "see, no one is interested in EV's". No! No one is interested in the same ol' designs with a few tweaks here and there.

They would have gotten a better response had they unveiled something that looked like the prototype.

Personally, I think I prefer the look of the Panamera.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
The 'turbo' S looks a bit better

1568069196686.png

" I think a lot of the manufacturers are still in the mindset of "we need to make our cars into EV's". Wrong. Tesla started with that mindset in the original Roadster and quickly realized the whole concept needs to be re-thought, re-designed and re-engineered "

I've said before, Tesla is a software company first, and a car maker a distant second

The old guard has no tradition in software and yah, if they try to compete thinking Tesla a car company, they will lose just like traditional retailers don't get that Amazon is a software company that happens to ply their trade in retailing

It's a brave new world

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The things look as though the design was farmed out to Toyota. :puke:
When I win lotto, I'll buy one as a yardstick because I really shouldn't ever own a ferrari.*

*being here doesn't mean you belong here, in action

LuxPride

BAM
The 800V system is going to reduce charging times among other things. But there isn't an 800V charging system available, anywhere. So it's kinda like 5G (it'll get here eventually). Lamborghini is going in a different direction with its new hybrid EV Super Car. NA V12 and a small electric motor charged with a capacitor for slow-speed driving. It's something like 34hp, lol.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
funny thing...you dont need all 800 horsepowers or however many lb ft of torks to tool around town. Imagine Lambo or Ferrari making a prototype with a bazillion horses... but the end user would have to qualify to be able to purchase the max hp or demonstrate the ability to handle such a ride...lol

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
sweet... evrryone hangs off left side want to see right side drifts

Website
www.snoopdogg.com
Now this thread is getting cool!

Motards make,me,happy..

As far as leaning to the right...

When I first started rifing I felt more comfy leaning to the right..
When I got into more advanced rear braking the left felt better because I could scrub my speed in corner and on lean with a gentle push on the pedal... Going into right handers my foot feels cumbersome and I feel awkward... Hence left handers I feel way better about... And I'm probably riding 10 percent faster through them.

I like having access to both brakes and use both while entering, in the middle and exiting corners when I feel like I got into it to hot...

I dont like the feel of slippimg,the clutch or letting off the gas... When i can use my rear to my advantage... Its weird that I feel more connected to my rear brake than to my front.

Ive also owned 2 bikes that had no front brakes... Lol I learned about hills with dead ends and inertia and sliding.

luckystrike

Anhela el dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Some of you may know that Porsche is in a clash of titans struggle against Tesla at the Nurburgring

So far we've established a stock Model S has better range, is quicker with a higher top speed, and we're not even talking about the superior software...

Reports are now coming out that the 'modified' model S that Musk & Co. brought to the 'ring to throw cold water on Porsche's marketing engine just lapped the 'ring 20 seconds quicker than the Taycan (although don't know from the postings if it's the base Taycan or the 'Turbo S')

7:23 to be exact

It'll all come out soon...

Top Bottom