Pork Belly

rumble phish

BAMF+
I've tried it before, but never cooked any. Not talking about bacon. Just plain, very thick sliced, uncured pork belly. Picked some up at the local Costco and tried a couple of variations. Used my standard, homemade pulled pork rub on it the first time. Turned out extremely well. Sweet and a little savory, with plenty of sticky brown sugar. Worked great as bite-size appetizers. Today, I laid some out on a broiling pan and sprinkled with kosher salt (generously), fresh-ground tri-color pepper (generously), a little Cayenne pepper, Cumin, and just a sprinkle of light brown sugar. put it in the oven at 350 degree @ 20 minutes per side, took them out and dumped the rendered fat into a large, deep fry pan and cooked them until just crispy. This batch was amazingly good. Sliced a couple of pieces up into bite size chunks and served it on a bed of freshly cooked sticky white rice with a little pat of butter and a couple of dashes of soy sauce.

Do any of you guys have good pork belly recipes?

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
All the parts of the pig are big here- at some markets, you can find enough stuff to sew a pig back together and bring it to life with some electricity.:lol:

My wife basically makes her own bacon out of pork belly- there are likely a load of recipes on Thai cooking sites that you can look into.

BigHock

BAMF
Again... Just wait until LS sees this. Recipe swapping??? :chef: Poor pigs have no idea how delicious they are.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
holy heart attack, that sounds good, some toasted sour dough bread, sandwich time....

A23

BAMF
Vincent Want some bacon?
Jules No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent Are you Jewish?
Jules Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent Why not?
Jules Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent Yeah, but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.
Jules Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eatin' nothing that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent How about a dog? Dog eats its own feces.
Jules I don't eat dog either.
Vincent Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but they're definitely dirty. A dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules Well, we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfucking pig. I mean, he'd have to be ten times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm saying?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Is pork belly kind of like pork rinds?

I'm on the lookout for some tasty spicy pork rinds.

We process almost 1500 sows a day. The lines I am responsible for put out almost 100,000 pounds of sausage a shift. Our plant puts out 250,000 pounds a day plus the meat we send elsewhere. The bellies get ground into the mix.

Hapo

Dog Boy
We process almost 1500 sows a day. The lines I am responsible for put out almost 100,000 pounds of sausage a shift. Our plant puts out 250,000 pounds a day plus the meat we send elsewhere. The bellies get ground into the mix.
...do you ever eat sausage...???...

Stetson

BAMF
A buddy of mine married a girl when he was in the Philippines and brought her home. Pork belly is kind of hard to find around here. I don't recall ever seeing it in the grocery store. I've picked it up for her a couple times, because my warehouse is near a custom butcher shop. She makes it cut into little pieces and fried, I think.

Can't remember what she called it, but it's like crack. I must have eaten a pound the first time I had it, and it was just an appetizer. I got the impression it was a standard Fillipino snack. I think my sister has the recipe, I'll ask her. I remember thinking, as I was eating it, "This is terrible for me, but I don't give a fuck."

...do you ever eat sausage...???...
Yes I do.

We have USDA inspectors on site whenever we are harvesting and they run a tight ship. USDA makes random inspections in production, and I have seen them walk in as late as 1 am. USDA carries a big hammer and are not the least bit afraid to use it.

We had a floor supervisor get in a dick swinging contest with an inspector over something very minor. We ended up shut down for 3 days and the supervisor lost his job. The USDA will always win.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...if you brown that a little more properly and get some more of the fat rendered it would be even better...

...looks like you even managed to scorch it a bit and still have it come out somewhat under done...lazy limey lout...

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
...if you brown that a little more properly and get some more of the fat rendered it would be even better...

...looks like you even managed to scorch it a bit and still have it come out somewhat under done...lazy limey lout...
None of it was scorched. Fat was rendered. Was liquid under the crackling. I would have sent you some but I ate it all...

BigGar

high on placebo
I find that whatever I do with it, I prefer it cooked far longer than most recipes call for

Top Bottom