Per Maui's Request - Bike Topic - H2rr Project Bike

gsxrian

BAMF
Does anyone have experience with proper venting of crankcases on a boosted bike at Vmax?

My H2rr Project Bike has a habit of puking oil into the air box and after 5 or 6 Vmax runs i have to dismantle the air box to remove approx. 0.5 quart of oil, and refill the crankcase.

This has been an ongoing issue for two years and i have yet to find a solution..... all the fast Turbo Busa guys appear to be on the West Coast or waaay up North.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Still haven't dealt with the issue?

Well for one thing don't run your breather hose into the airbox, that's for emissions and you seem to be past that.
Run it to a catch can or bottle, not a fancy one or a small one, those are not "dump cans"
I am aware you have very little extra room.
Of course the higher and longer your crankcase vent hose is, the less likely the oil reaches the end too.

OP

gsxrian

BAMF
Still haven't dealt with the issue?

Well for one thing don't run your breather hose into the airbox, that's for emissions and you seem to be past that.
Run it to a catch can or bottle, not a fancy one or a small one, those are not "dump cans"
I am aware you have very little extra room.
Of course the higher and longer your crankcase vent hose is, the less likely the oil reaches the end too.
Not yet.

I was at the drag strip last weekend, just spectating, and some of the race vehicles vented into the exhaust from the oil filler cap, which seemed like an interesting idea.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Not yet.

I was at the drag strip last weekend, just spectating, and some of the race vehicles vented into the exhaust from the oil filler cap, which seemed like an interesting idea.
Yep..... Saw that as far back as 50 years ago at Carlsbad Raceway.

• Red
Reactions: Red

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
vented into the exhaust from the oil filler cap, which seemed like an interesting idea.
Yep..... Saw that as far back as 50 years ago.
Why catch it when you can burn it?
I had a 5/16" (I think) tube brazed into the top of the megaphone on the Kerker header I had on my Z-1 street / strip bike back in the early 80's for this purpose... with a hose connecting it to the crankcase breather. Tube was angled for scavenging effect.

Overall I was happy with it. But a lot more oil dripped into the pipe than I expected when the bike was parked. Residual from the inside of the hose. So there was exhaust smoke until it burned off, which took a while. And it never did fully burn off; there was always residue, capable of producing smoke.

But it sure did run good! :wink2::up:

edit: another issue I just remembered is that I used Neoprene hose, which was not happy with the combination of oil and high heat from the pipe.

Top Bottom