Pellet Gun/Rifle

Ballistics will tell you that for a given pellet, the projectile will drop more at lesser velocities.
You are arguing this point but your argument is flawed.

You stated above "...accuracy is not known until it is determined at each velocity level and it is possible that it could be better"

Ballistics says otherwise.
:biggrin: Ahh I get it now. You do not understand the meaning of the term "accuracy". That is ok many do not. The trajectory arc has nothing to do with the meaning of the term accurate as long as it is Consistent. Let me help you a little here if I may. You have your favorite 9mm pistol and I am using a S&W 52 using HB 148 gr full wadcutters that you can, if the light is reflecting just right and you are at the right angle actually see them streak across in flight they are travelling so slow (can do this with target .45 acp loads as well 3.2 gr of bullseye with a 200gr HG #48 in a mil case commercial case needs 3.5 to function because of less case capacity it is a pressure thing). Yet, they will shoot virtually one hole even if the trajectory arc is a Rainbow compared to your 9mm +p+ loads going twice as fast.

All of that said-----with longer ranges it is more apparent the wind becomes a Huge factor. Why? The longer the wind has to bear on a projectile the more it will move. Shooters that do not have the ability to read the wind correctly will often call a load less accurate just because they do not have the required skill to judge the wind. Best way and I am a 1k br score shooter not a group shooter is to wait for the condition to return or to make an adjustment which is difficult as well. The other thing that hurts "accuracy" is the inconsistent shot to shot velocity of your pellet or bullet. All things being equal which they are not because of barrel harmonics, the bullet will string vertically causing you to not win wood as we say or miss the target. At shorter ranges this still happens just not to the apparent magnitude at long range.

Now will freely admit that in this example and if you ever saw the movie Quigley Down Under he was using a 45-120 which fired a heavy slow lead bullet. If you are able to judge the wind and know your range drop they can put the round on target. Now take a 338 Lapua 250gr for example same distance the TOF is much much shorter (not going to do the math but have charts I use when hunting for the 338) so shooting at a moving target is much much more problematic, also the wind has longer to bear on the bigger much lower BC bullet. To many they would assume incorrectly that the old former BP rifle is too inaccurate to make a long shot at a target moving at 2 mph when it would be "accurate" to say the shooter does not have the required skillset. It is much more difficult with the big slow bullet granted because the lead will be much greater hence the skill of the shooter be much greater due to less margin of error available than when using the 338 Lapua with a 250gr bullet.

Hope this helped you some because the term accuracy is not always easy to understand.

Jezzus Christ.
Are we having a conversation or writing a doctural thesis?
Maybe to you it seems that way but for people who shoot and like to do it a higher level this stuff is easy might just say it is 2nd nature. There is nothing wrong with going out and going bang bang just for fun. I have been known on a few occasions to do just that.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Fuck pelet guns.

Keep one of these around and at the moment you hear and see a coyote, you start blasting.
30 rounds will do. You won t see them again

• WTF
Reactions: Red

zxfan

BAM
I just looked it up.
It would be hard to find a rifle that fired a projectile at less velocity.
350 feet per second and a maximum firing range of 195 yards.
Although I think you'd be hard-pressed to hit anything at 25 yards it should administer a nice sting upon impact.
Perfect for light coyote work!

A question
Time of flight is important, how about rotation?
BiggerDanno mentioned dropping from 1000 fps to 400 fps. I'm guessing that would increase tof by 150% but also nearly remove rotational stability.

Austin_F

BAMF+
2 paintballs. One frozen to send the message, the other room temp to paint the fur

zxfan

BAM
Even cheaper.
Maybe we'll convert a few of these folks to the fun of actual cheap shooting with practically no noise (with the right gun).

zxfan

BAM
Just put a new Element Helix 6 X 24 scope on my Avenger. Zeroed at 20 yards. Will make a doping table and do turret adjustments for longer yardages.
Hole in friggen hole.
I love when that happens.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Turtle head is about 2-3 inches
Unless it s ADs turtle head...that would be much bigger as he takes it up da ass like a champ

zxfan

BAM
Oh, I guess because of how close they are to the window they looked much bigger.

• Red
I could shoot a turtle s head from my window, but i wouldn t...

View attachment 63010

View attachment 63011
Typical of an idiot who knows nothing about firearms safety or very little about firearms for that matter... No backstops and will kill the trees behind the targets. SMH but not surprised in the least.

This is the berm I did with the dozer. Behind it is a very small hill as well if something does get over it. This is in the middle of nowhere as well no houses for at least 20 miles in this direction.

Last edited:
  • Red

Hapo

Dog Boy
...too close to house too...could sustain damage...a lot of people are indifferent to the trees...

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
1st of all..those trees are going down. Cutting a perimeter of about 20 yrds around the back yard
Hundreds of trees will be cut, so that s that argument
Secondly, those plates are a tad over 40 yrds from the house and they move when shot. All bullets drop and nothing bounces back.

Thirdly and this is for Turtle sniper extraordinare, lick my balls.

Lastly, look at the closest house in the direction that im shooting....the back of the house faces North...do you see it? No? That s cause there ain t any houses.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...say what you will that is some red neck shit...

...when I shoot out of the windows it is always into a proper back stop...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I'm just letting it go...it's not like I will be in range...

...anyone with any sense can see it for what it is and what has been plainly stated...

...might as well try and explain the new vaccines to him or some such...

...some people are a bit stupid...flash came over and was shooting up some nice old trees right on the river and got pissed off when I asked him to stop...

...I was like WTF, they MY trees...!!!...

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
...I'm just letting it go...it's not like I will be in range...

...anyone with any sense can see it for what it is and what has been plainly stated...

...might as well try and explain the new vaccines to him or some such...

...some people are a bit stupid...flash came over and was shooting up some nice old trees right on the river and got pissed off when I asked him to stop...

...I was like WTF, they MY trees...!!!...

Yea. Don t worry about THESE trees.

BigGar

high on placebo
A Daisy Red Ryder won't likely penetrate skin but will sting, and deter, if you can get close enough. I used to shoot my own dog, and others for getting into the trash when I was a kid.
If you want more than that, go all the way and get the best (barely) subsonic air rifle you can afford and shoot every on of those fuckers in the head until you don't hear coyotes at night.

Oh you've surveyed the area with your Turtle killer scope?
Lol...
:biggrin: Poor buffoon cannot even get that correct. Did not use a scope on the pellet rifle. If I do a survey it is from a distance with the APO 77 or some of the spare scopes.:biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Red
Top Bottom