Pellet Gun/Rifle

I'm lucky, I live 1/4 mile outside the city limits. And I get coyotes in the back yard occasionally. My .243 won't bother anyone.

I have 6 or 7 cats for the back yard, they keep the mice/moles/snakes in check. The 2 that go in and out of the house are almost useless.

I've lost around 80 or 90 cats to coyotes in the last 15 years. And 5 or 6 to the cars on the back road I live on.

If you think I wouldn't wound a coyote so he could slink off and die somewhere else, you've misjudged me.
I do the same but always make a good faith attempt to dispatch humanely.

zxfan

BAM
Why scare them off?
Just turn them off.
I'm sure your neighbors with household pets would appreciate your efforts.

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
oh i hate you Rocco. I was shopping for a sonos or bose solo 5 sound bar. and i just ordered one of these instead on fucking amazon. im never gonna get a sound bar. why did you post anything10/22? hahahaha

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
I get up at about 4 am, clean the house play with my dog, watch church on tv do my total gym or pyo and my friends atrt calling about 5-5:30am cause we work all day. today i got up at 3:30 smoochie made sure i was up. and good morning darling :) I have to get up early gives me time to get used to the idea of peopleing. Today i'll be at highsides by 8am help her pack her chotsky crap. I have no idea why people have chotskies to clean. meet Scott C at the gun show by 10 be home for naptime by 1. I never miss naptime. its usually the most epic 25 minutes i have all day. :) Im that drive by friend... cant stay long... dont want to. i have shit to do or nothing at all to do. since my house is clean theres nothing demanding my attention or time. after nap time ill sit on the floaties in the pool drink wine and BBQ. but today im doing pot stickers and orange chicken. which wont take long. I got a deep freezer a coupla weeks ago. smoochies farmers dog was taking up the whole freezer. now i dont have to people as often. I'll do some ribs tomorrow in the crock pot then in the air fryer and have floyd over feed him some baked mac n cheese and ribs. send his ass home . because im like that. cant stay long. i dont let folks come over unless i know what time they are leaving hahahaha

Last edited:

JustTom

BAM
I think a lot of you are under the impression that a pellet gun is just a "stinger".
Whack the coyote harmlessly in the ass.

Pellets don't bounce off like bb's from a Daisy air rifle.
They penetrate.

I took one of my dogs to the vet once to be treated after being hit by a car.
While being xrayed, it was pointed out that she had 9 pellets in her.
They were not shotgun load, you could clearly see the size and shape, including the conical point and the flat point.

She did love to jump the fence to raid garbage cans, so I wasn't real surprised that she was shot up.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
I think a lot of you are under the impression that a pellet gun is just a "stinger".
Whack the coyote harmlessly in the ass.

Pellets don't bounce off like bb's from a Daisy air rifle.
They penetrate.

I took one of my dogs to the vet once to be treated after being hit by a car.
While being xrayed, it was pointed out that she had 9 pellets in her.
They were not shotgun load, you could clearly see the size and shape, including the conical point and the flat point.

She did love to jump the fence to raid garbage cans, so I wasn't real surprised that she was shot up.
Depends on the ammo amd the power. Scott isn’t looking for a hunting weapon. He’s looking for a cheap but accurate bb/pellet gun.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
If you really just want to "sting" it, get a multi-pump gun. The multi pump lets you choose the power level. You don't want .177 caliber, it will penetrate easier than .22 I just noticed that all of the ones in the link are .177 It's possible that they don't make a multi-pump in .22
Here's a Link to some at Pyramid. I can't recommend any particular one, as I have not shot any of these.
Generally, the cheaper, the less accurate.
You didn't state distance or budget.

Last edited:

Red

BAMF
Website
www.WestCoastSportbikes.oRg
Unfortunately
I do not think
the sound of
my AR will go
over well with
the neighbors
and we are
technically
within city
limits . . .

:ak:

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org

He hasn’t lived in Cali for years Red

• Red
Reactions: Red

LMR

BAMF
Go to airgunnation.com and there usually are some nice pellet guns for sale used.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
One thing I failed to think about/mention.
When you turn down the power to reduce the impact on target, you are also reducing the accuracy due to the ballistics of the projectile. Where you might be dead-on at 1000 fps, at 400 fps (muzzle velocity) the pellet will drop ~17 inches at the same distance (50 yds). Makes it much harder to hit the coyote in the ass. The reduction in energy from 1000 to 400 fps is 14.9 fpe to ~2.6 at 50 yds (1.3 @ 100 yds) using a 14.3 grain .22 pellet.
It takes 1-2 fpe to break human skin.

Last edited:
  • Red
This is what I use for unwanted animals that I don't want to injure.

American classic model P1322, 22 cal. Benjamin 14.3 grain pellets.

Is a pistol with the add on stock, combo purchase.

• WTF
One thing I failed to think about/mention.
When you turn down the power to reduce the impact on target, you are also reducing the accuracy due to the ballistics of the projectile. Where you might be dead-on at 1000 fps, at 400 fps (muzzle velocity) the pellet will drop ~17 inches at the same distance (50 yds). Makes it much harder to hit the coyote in the ass. The reduction in energy from 1000 to 400 fps is 14.9 fpe to ~2.6 at 50 yds (1.3 @ 100 yds) using a 14.3 grain .22 pellet.
It takes 1-2 fpe to break human skin.
You are correct first with the drop due to reduced velocity and I think your intent was to state that the POI will be much different due to time of flight exposure for wind deflection due to exposure time also the lower velocity will make for a rainbow trajectory -"Makes it much harder to hit the coyote in the ass.".... The accuracy is not known until it is determined at each velocity level and it is possible that it could be better who knows but for a moving target the higher velocity is much more desirable. Improves greatly ones odds for a accurate shot the faster the projectile is travelling All Other Things Being Equal.

We do not even want to get into attempting to hit a running target with a very low velocity round. :biggrin: That is tough.

How do you figure that the accuracy could be better at lower velocity??
Speed does not necessarily have anything to do with accuracy. Yes there are lower and upper limits however, the individual projectiles, bullets are what I am very familiar with are designed specifically to perform within a given velocity range. Additionally as you may be aware, the BC of any projectile changes with velocity.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
3" mag with 00 buckshot gives them manners.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Speed does not necessarily have anything to do with accuracy. Yes there are lower and upper limits however, the individual projectiles, bullets are what I am very familiar with are designed specifically to perform within a given velocity range. Additionally as you may be aware, the BC of any projectile changes with velocity.
I guarantee that an airgun that is accurate at 1000 fps is much less accurate at 400 fps, all other factors being equal.

• Red
I guarantee that an airgun that is accurate at 1000 fps is much less accurate at 400 fps, all other factors being equal.
That is why I said above----"Yes there are lower and upper limits".. Not real good with pellets because I do not use that often and then it is for full power rifles but bullets specifically copper jackets over lead cores I have some experience with. 👍

Billy V

BAMF
Unfortunately I don’t think the sound of my AR will go over well with the neighbors and we are technically within city limits
Edgun Leshiy 2 - in 30 cal. W/ Tacticam Thor4 thermal scope. shoot in complete darkness.
Fully Suppressed.

The night vision tactical scopes are also very good. - but nothing can hide from Thermal.

Last edited:
Stick with what you know.
Ballistics are ballistics. Let me be blunt as I am from time to time. With respect to ballistics it is all about math. Does not matter if you are pushing a .177 pellet or sending a 16" Mark 7 shell down range. Pellet guns are for kids for the most part. So if you want to get into finite detail about ballistics, Coriolis effect, leading a moving target, why ballistic coefficients are not constant and change with velocity as the projectile goes down range, effect of temperature and humidity on the projectile and TOF, why it is necessary to assign values at different ranges as they relate to the target along with the condition changes ie. 6 o'clock at muzzle, 8 o'clock at 600 yards and 9 o'clock at the 1k berm, just as a few examples let me know. Please don't get uppity about shooting an air rifle at a short range to hit a large target because an 8 year old with very minimal instruction can do that with relative ease unless he or she has a disability.

For many years used to shoot snapping turtles in the head when they popped up in the largest pond we had (about an acre) with a RWS 48 using the Meisterkugeln .177 flat nose, hit a lot more than I missed out to 75 yards. Eyes were much better then and did not have to use a scope. My first lessons in learning how critical range and wind were came shooting pellet rifles. I have probably pushed out over 50k pellet's and bb's out of various air/bb guns in my earlier years.

zxfan

BAM
Pellet guns are for kids for the most part.
The cheap box store stuff may be bought by kids.
Ask Pyramid Air, Utah Air Guns, Airgun Depot, Airguns of Arizona who their customers are.
It sure isn't kids.
With the price of an FX Impact ( a very popular high end air rifle) over $2000.00 kids aren't their customer base.
Quit with the BS Dave. You never hit snapping turtles open sighted with a .177 at 75 yards.

The cheap box store stuff may be bought by kids.
Ask Pyramid Air, Utah Air Guns, Airgun Depot, Airguns of Arizona who their customers are.
It sure isn't kids.
With the price of an FX Impact ( a very popular high end air rifle) over $2000.00 kids aren't their customer base.
Quit with the BS Dave. You never hit snapping turtles open sighted with a .177 at 75 yards.
Sorry but I do not lie and do not appreciate being called one. Just because you do not have the skills to do the things I discuss with open sights is not my fault. Blame whoever trained you. Yes I am aware of the advancements that have been made in air rifle technology however, for the average person who is going to do what was discussed above it is pretty silly to have the specialty rifles you have to agree. Personally if the air rifle is what you like then fine however, they are a step backwards for some of us who do not have a need for the limited capability the air rifle albeit much cheaper. The primary reason I even used the pellet rifles in the first place is the .22 would due to the slight angles involved almost always always ricochet especially with a miss on the water. The pellet rifle was much safer in this environment due to the flat nose of the pellet used and lighter weight projectile did not ricochet or travel near as far nor have the energy to harm something if it were to strike it as a .22lr would at the time.

Now I only have one good built .22 lr rifle and one pistol just not much of a need for them any longer.

Shakespeare said it better than me.
"You doth protest too much."
Hey if the shoe fits this one is appropriate for you.

"Envy is a gun with a faulty breech-lock which flares back and burns the gunner. Austin O'Malley

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Ballistics are ballistics.
Ballistics will tell you that for a given pellet, the projectile will drop more at lesser velocities.
You are arguing this point but your argument is flawed.

You stated above "...accuracy is not known until it is determined at each velocity level and it is possible that it could be better"

Ballistics says otherwise.

• Red
Top Bottom