Pellet Gun/Rifle

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Anyone have any good recommendations on a rifle style pellet gun with a scope?

Lately the coyotes have been sending a shit load of scouts right by our fence.

I don’t want to kill them but I would love to shoot them in the ass and make them associate the area with a memory of getting popped.

I don’t leave our dog out in the back yard, but he does go out there. It will only take once for them to lure him out and he would be a goner.

Do not trust coyotes. 3 on horseback riding by my house, 2 coyotes attacked one horse repeatedly, followed them for one mile.
I used to shoot them in the hip, but found shooting a rock or steel post near them works just as well.
I'll never buy another break barrel with scope, no luck with accuracy. With iron sights is ok. May try bottom lever action next.
I have never had a coyote in my yard although they sneak by day and night.
220 lbs of coyote repellent because I can't go outside every time they need to pee20210123_160856(1).jpg

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
One would lure him out and then all of a sudden hes surrounded by a Pack. And having spent the night at the Stites house i can tell you there is a big (LOUD) pack
Yeah that shit was ridiculous that night

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Maybe rig motion sensors on the outside of your fence that triggers something harmless but annoying.
Like water sprinklers.
Or a high pitched sound that dogs/coyotes won't like. Aimed away from your house, of course.

A23

BAMF+
I shoot 'em with my pump Daisy when necessary...every few months or so.

Seems to keep them away.

They can sure scoot when they get get hit in the ass with a BB...

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
I saw a few always alone in the day time
Night time you can hear the pack

I worry for my cat venturing out in the woods in the daytime...

• WTF
Reactions: Red

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
What is a pellet gun? What does it fire and how does it work. I take it that this type of gun does not have a cartridge filled with gunpowder like a normal gun.

zxfan

BAM
Gamo Maxxim Swarm .22 10 shot rotary magazine break barrel.
From the videos I've seen it seems to be very accurate. Right around $200.

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
how much noise would a proper .22 make? I saw this hand cranked cannon thing the other day... Gaitland gun. It was badass! :D

LE05BUSA

GFY
Scott, do you have .22 bolt gun, single shot, or lever action? If so, use CB caps.

If not, buy a Benjamin Sheridan 20cal, Silver Streak or Blue Streak. I think you can still buy hotrodded ones from Mac1

If you want a cheap noisemaker, just buy a 760 Pumpmaster.

zxfan

BAM
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole with an air rifle get a pre-charged pneumatic.
There is no substitute for power and accuracy in this platform in a pellet gun.
When you end up buying your second, third and fourth gun just remember I warned you.

zxfan

BAM
You didn't say how many yards away you'd be shooting these 'yotes. That's the biggest factor in deciding what weapon to get.

Im serious. Deliberately wounding an animal is not right.
You are spot on --- some people are just cruel idiots. I have killed more feral dogs and coyotes than I can recall. Always even with feral hogs try to dispatch humanely.

Air rifle.

Either spring piston or pump piston
Unfortunately most pellet rifles crack as well it is about the pellets breaking the sound barrier. The subsonic 22lr's work pretty well in the city have used them to dispatch a skunk and a couple of armadillo's in the past that were rooting up my yard.

zxfan

BAM
Unfortunately most pellet rifles crack as well it is about the pellets breaking the sound barrier.
Use heavier pellets.
Most domed pellets have the best accuracy between 850 and 900 feet per second. Well below the sound barrier.
Another reason to buy a gun that you can tune the velocity.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
The only way to deal with nuisance coyots is to kill them. If you try to use deterent strategy they will win. They're smart.

I agree with Paul.. Kill a couple of them and the rest will leave you alone.

I agree with Paul... Kill em and hang their heads on your fence... Vlad style.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
You are spot on --- some people are just cruel idiots. I have killed more feral dogs and coyotes than I can recall. Always even with feral hogs try to dispatch humanely.
Did you read anywhere in my post where I said I wanted to injure the animal? I thought I was very specific in wanting to scare them and have them also associate some small pain to the area

• Red
Reactions: Red

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
What is a pellet gun? What does it fire and how does it work. I take it that this type of gun does not have a cartridge filled with gunpowder like a normal gun.
Lucky, they are air or compressed CO2 fired rifles/pistols. Shooting a projectile (either a copper coated bb or lead pellet)about half the diameter of a pencil eraser. Good for killing rats and squirrels or at lower powers they will just leave a hell of a welt. What Scott wants to do is pop a coyote on the ass to make them stay away. People thinking he wants to seriously wound the animals are assuming. With a Coyote if every time it goes to a area it gets a painful smack on the ass, it won’t go near that area any more. That’s what Scott is going for.

Last edited:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I'm lucky, I live 1/4 mile outside the city limits. And I get coyotes in the back yard occasionally. My .243 won't bother anyone.

I have 6 or 7 cats for the back yard, they keep the mice/moles/snakes in check. The 2 that go in and out of the house are almost useless.

I've lost around 80 or 90 cats to coyotes in the last 15 years. And 5 or 6 to the cars on the back road I live on.

If you think I wouldn't wound a coyote so he could slink off and die somewhere else, you've misjudged me.

Top Bottom