Part 103 Ultralights

OP

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
This is where I did the shimming.
I added .016" of shim in one axis, .008 in the other.
The looseness was here at the control stick. Didn't have to do anything else.

OP

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Just tried the brakes today, they are not effective.
This system does not have a resivour for the fluid, so not sure how to fix the problem yet. I don't even know how to add fluid to it. A call to the brake manufacturer (Matco) might be in order.
I'll try bleeding first.

nomad

TRANSVAXXITE
A 'scene of death and horror':

"Hundreds of persons milled around in the beet field between Longmont and Platteville," reporter Jack Gaskie wrote for the next day's newspaper. "There were certain things to do – cover the bodies, make futile efforts to quell the flames of the fiercely burning wreckage. But for the most part, they stood around in quiet, stunned groups, waiting."

You are not ignoring me are you??? tsk tsk tsk

nomad

TRANSVAXXITE
Rutan arrived at Bede headquarters in Newton, Kansas, in March 1972. The second BD-5 prototype, N501BD, was then under construction. The new version was made of aluminum and had a conventional vertical tail, a swept horizontal stabilator and a 40-hp Kiekhaefer snowmobile engine. Rutan’s job: get the airplane ready to fly and conduct the flight-test program. One of his first moves was to hire a friend and fellow engineer from Edwards, Les Berven, as chief test pilot.
Rutan quickly discovered that 501 was hideously tail-heavy. (Solution: Fill up the nosecone with lead.) The flaps had to be redesigned. High-speed taxi-testing led to a complete redesign of the stabilator. After a deal to buy production engines from Kiekhaefer fell through, a German-made 40-hp Hirth snowmobile engine was substituted.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
You want good brakes. That's what makes a pusher so effective for short field landings. You can almost do a stoppie, without pranging a prop.

OP

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
By the strict definition of an ultralight, it is not.
Too heavy and not allowed to tow anything. This makes it an experimental aircraft.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
That's how we licensed our side by side trainer, experimental. It was nice, fully enclosed, 100 hp Rotax, variable pitch prop, we converted it from tricycle to tail dragger.

It was very very fun, except when it got windy...and where I live it's windy 367 days/year

Did I mention they don't like wind?

OP

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
It is windy here in the Spring. Has been blowing since first of March, will continue for a few more weeks. Too windy to fly, so it's a good time to be working on the plane.

Top Bottom