On the Road: Wicked '59 Finning Across America in Opulence and Excess

Dameon

BAMF+
I briefly read the shop manual for RnRing the wiper motor... seems rather excessive. Including steps to remove the distributer cap. I'm hoping to get some time this week to start the process, but it's not looking promising. I'm really burning the candle at both ends freeing up some time for Wicked on Monday through Wednesday. I think he's leaving on Tuesday, but I wanted an extra day in case he needs to stay to get something done.

I'm hoping the manual is designed for maximum shop rate hours and there are some shade tree shortcuts available.

We are in the midst of the monsoon. Rain everyday. Not sure how long it will keep going.

Working wipers (for Wicked) and rain gear (for Scott) would be a good idea.
Glad your part of the state is! Where we are SE of Carlsbad it is brutal. Been that way for 3 months.

The last week:
1.1"
Well, that is awesome. Last week while I was at the ranch it was 115, 40 mph winds and 6% humidity Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday was only 110. I did take this picture Monday afternoon to prove to my wife that it at least sprinkled enough for 2 wiper activations.

20220614_142139[1].jpg

• Red
Reactions: Red

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
My yard is now all green. Little weeds 1/2" apart that are going to be a bitch to eradicate.
I think I'll try towing a piece of chain link fence around behind the tractor to delete the weeds. I've got to do it in the next day or two before the roots get some grippage.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
My yard is now all green. Little weeds 1/2" apart that are going to be a bitch to eradicate.
I think I'll try towing a piece of chain link fence around behind the tractor to delete the weeds. I've got to do it in the next day or two before the roots get some grippage.
Agent Orange.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Packing up and getting ready to head to the airport this evening. Checked the weather forecast and it looks like rain, rain, rain for the first 4 days til I head to Dallas. Then possibly more rain when I head to New Mexico after Dallas.

Want those damn wipers working. Messaging you a couple of ideas, Dameon.

Failing that, I'm thinking about trying to source a mobile mechanic in or around Galveston who might be comfortable doing the wiper motor swap and figure out the how to best install the wiper arms with what few parts I was able to source.

-Wicked

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Packing up and getting ready to head to the airport this evening. Checked the weather forecast and it looks like rain, rain, rain for the first 4 days til I head to Dallas. Then possibly more rain when I head to New Mexico after Dallas.

Failing that, I'm thinking about trying to source a mobile mechanic in or around Galveston who might be comfortable doing the wiper motor swap and figure out the how to best install the wiper arms with what few parts I was able to source.

-Wicked
My bike is loaded up and ready to go. Off to Mexican Hat, Ut. in the morning. See you in a few days.

S.C.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Ekstensive Metal Works Ekstensive Metal Works - 🇺🇸 Made - Texas Metal is in Houston, they do a lot of custom work. If they are not what you want they might know who could do the work for you.you might some camera time too.

JESSE JAMES is in Austin and has a shop that may be able to point you in the right direction. I will PM you his number.
Thanks for the number, Vince!

I fear that a wiper motor/pump and arms install request to either Ekstensive or JESSE JAMES would be insulting and beneath them but those can be plans C and D. Talked with Dameon earlier - he's going to talk with Jay the old school mechanic tomorrow and possibly take another look at what's involved with the swap, or have possibly have Jay do it sometime tomorrow if planets and stuff align somehow. Alternatively I'm supposed to visit SLEEPERBUSA on my way out from Louisiana and he might spin mean enough of a wrench to be up for tackling that task as a drive in, drive out thing over lunch or something.

Worst case, I'm impressed with how well the Turtle Wax 53409 Ceramic Spray Coating is making rain roll right off of my Dajiban hotrod van windows...

-Wicked

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Thanks for the number, Vince!

I fear that a wiper motor/pump and arms install request to either Ekstensive or JESSE JAMES would be insulting and beneath them but those can be plans C and D. Talked with Dameon earlier - he's going to talk with Jay the old school mechanic tomorrow and possibly take another look at what's involved with the swap, or have possibly have Jay do it sometime tomorrow if planets and stuff align somehow. Alternatively I'm supposed to visit SLEEPERBUSA on my way out from Louisiana and he might spin mean enough of a wrench to be up for tackling that task as a drive in, drive out thing over lunch or something.

Worst case, I'm impressed with how well the Turtle Wax 53409 Ceramic Spray Coating is making rain roll right off of my Dajiban hotrod van windows...

-Wicked
I used to use just plain wax on my Corvette windshield, and it worked real well. I imagine the ceramic stuff is even better.

S.C.

BigBusa

BAMF+

-Wicked
rain-x and you dont even need wipers. Not kidding.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
I've always done water repellent coatings on my windows with products that work better than Rain-X.

However...
1. Not legal. I have to get the wipers including the squirters operational or I will not be allowed to register it and use the car legally in Hawaii.
2. Works when there's air flow and not too much pourage or tiny misting. When there's insufficient air flow, it works so-so, depending on angle of window. So it's not always the optimal solution.

So like previously discussed in this thread - I might as well get that thing working from the get-go or as close to the get-go as is reasonable. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't get squared away though. Worst case, I'll work on it in San Diego when I have a bunch of free time, or when it arrives in Hawaii.

-Wicked

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Rain for the last few days has been light. Here, not other places.
Forecast is for more rain in the coming days.
Averaging about 3/4" per day over the last 10 days.

Wnet out and had fun in the truck a few days ago. Roads were washed out with some pretty rough crossings. The road crew, which was working with a grader on the wash out, asked me if I was there for fun or to go someplace. I told them fun, of course! They told me there was an even better place about 1/2 mile up the road. I proceeded to cross where they were at and then went to their recommended fun spot and had a blast! Not a lot in the way of mud, but a lot of water and soft sand. Kinda hard to get stuck in.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Have a joyful ride! 👍
The "ride". The map is not 100% accurate, because Google Maps doesn't allow enough stops for me to factor in every step of the route I want. For example, I can't add that I want to take 14 all the way down to 40 when leaving Madrid. I need to add another destination, but I used them all up. So it has me getting on 25 ASAP.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
You can grab one of the round things on the blue route to force the route to do 14 instead. I just spent hours today trying to fix that on my map unsuccessfully. I accidentally added an odd route and because there's a u turn involved at the end I'm not able to delete or remove the accidental route. So annoying. So be careful screwing around with the rerouting.

-Wicked

scottcolbath

BAMF+
You can grab one of the round things on the blue route to force the route to do 14 instead. I just spent hours today trying to fix that on my map unsuccessfully. I accidentally added an odd route and because there's a u turn involved at the end I'm not able to delete or remove the accidental route. So annoying. So be careful screwing around with the rerouting.

-Wicked
I know my route. I have it written down. Fuck a GPS. I'll look at my notebook in my map pocket. I was just doing that for you guys.

S.C.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Scott, when you head south out of Madrid, stay on the backroad when you get to the 40 as shown below. (Assuming you are coming here at that point. Some really bitching riding on the 337. You can really turn the wick up once you get to the 60 and past Mountainair.

I am a Rain X fan, but it's not gonna do shit in the midst of a downpour, the likes of which they see in Louisiana and Texas. You need that wiper swipe to give you an occasional millisecond of clear vision!
Been using Rain X for many years and PIAA Wipers. Buy the concentrate and add it to my washer fluid tank. Trick with this stuff is that depending on the angle of your windshield, the wind speed blowing against you or with you, your vehicle speed sometimes it will not blow off fast enough. At 60mph on my truck for example that will allow me to not use the wipers much if at all. 45mph forget it they stay on but do work better......

Did that make f-ing sense?

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Working on getting the car started and running. 😳

Fished out a dead rat corpse our of the trunk too while Dameon messed w the battery. It's a 3 year old battery and we might have flooded it trying to get it to fire up while connected to a battery recharger.

On way back with a new battery. Most expensive battery ive ever bought in my life too. Fingers crossed.

No rain but clouds here are dark and heavy looking.

-Wicked

Top Bottom