On the Road: Wicked '59 Finning Across America in Opulence and Excess

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
I love badass cars and motorcycles that stand head and shoulders above others. Rides that make people do double-takes or go, "What the..." I wish could own/drive them all. But it ain't happening on a teacher's salary. So I work 3 part time jobs on top of my full time teaching career so that I can have play money and have been lucky enough to play with some amazing cars over the last few years.

Last summer it was a Dajiban style hot-rod van build which I picked up in Tennessee and proceed to drive across America towards San Diego, only to have break down just a couple of hours away from Danno's get-together in New Mexico. Huge shout-out to Danno, BuellDozer and Jeff for the trailer rescue, trouble-shooting, repairs, good times, and getting the road trip back on track. Was a hell of an adventure that I don't regret taking that's for sure! Pic/Thread from that adventure:

The Wicked Slo-xpress Adventure (Van Life Sux)

The van is still going strong and has been further modified to spit fire on command. ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ˜Ž

ANYWAYS...

Thursday night 9 days ago, going through my usual bedtime routine of checking Craigslist and Facebook postings across the US to see what special cars or motorcycles might have popped up for sale that day, I stumbled upon a very fresh ordinary Marketplace posting for a 6-window '59 Cadillac. For $25k. :eek: A white hardtop has been on my bucket list since I saw my first one as a teenager because it was so outrageously overdone. To me, it's the iconic car of American opulence and excess.

It looked to be in decent shape and looked like it might actually be in driving condition. My eyes widened in surprise. Quickly I checked the listing. "Posting for friend call (number removed by Facebook)." No further information at all. It was listed as a DeVille model despite clearly not being a DeVille (window cranks, no center console in front seats, no DeVille script on exterior, so therefore base 62). Red flaps started going up but regardless I clicked on "Message Seller" and fired off a message asking for the seller's info before turning off the lights and going to sleep.

The next day on Friday after some issues with connecting with the seller due to the friend who posted the ad not sharing the correct contact info the first time around, and generally being frustrating and uncooperative to deal with I finally connected with Jim who supposedly was the owner.

"Yes, I still have it."

He said he was a 84-year-old widower and had owed the car for the last 12 years. He said it was in good driving shape.

I immediately told him I'd pay him his full 25K asking price and could he please give me dibs on it while I figured out what the hell to do next.

"Oh no. I'm not selling it for 25 thousand dollars," he said on the phone via sign language interpreting services (I'm deaf).

"#%@$" I said to myself.

"I'm selling it for 24 thousand dollars." He continued.

๐Ÿ˜…

"Oh, okay. That works for me as well."

We agreed I would buy it, I would send a check for a deposit, he said I could leave it in his garage until I came out to pick it up, etc, etc. I just needed to verify that everything was legit and figure out how to get the main purchasing money to him, and the title signed over to me.

I immediately grabbed my phone, and fired off a message to our BigGar (paraphrasing here) - "Hey! Who do we know and trust in Mississippi?!"

"You're crazy! Dameon's somewhere around there and a pretty good dude."

I immediately jumped on here and PM'ed Dameon.

Turns out he lives in Louisiana and the soonest he could go and look at the car would be Tuesday. It was Friday. I started to get worried. Sure enough, insanity was about to ensue.

That night while eating out at a upscale restaurant with the wife to celebrate, I got alerted to a new posting in the 1959 Cadillac Facebook group which I follow. It was a new posting for this car I had "bought". It was a post made by the same friend, Marvin. I immediately posted on the post (very first post) stating that the car had already been sold and messaged Marvin telling him this, and asked him to remove his post. He read my message, but didn't respond and didn't remove the post. The ad started to blow up.

By the time I woke up in the morning after a largely sleepless night, the ad was still up, and despite my first post saying the car was already sold, offers over double the asking price were rolling in from across, and even outside the country trying to buy the car out from under me. ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I asked Marvin again to remove the ad. A few hours later it was still up and somebody had also posted a screenshot showing that they bought this car just moments ago at a "buy it now" price of $26,500 on Ebay. The buyer was asking for the address to go pick it up right away. I looked on Ebay and it was indeed a real posting and not a doctored screenshot. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Needless to say, I was heartbroken. It had been a nice dream to "own" a white 59' hardtop virtually for just a day.

I wasn't quite ready to just roll over though and give up completely.

To be continued... Need to go to the bank today (related to this car) ๐Ÿ˜Ž

-Wicked

Bandit Man

BAMF
If you plan on road tripping a caddy get a spare water pump, generator and starter before the trip. The water pumps are rare as hens teeth. I had to replace one on a 58 a few months ago and a replacement could not be found so I had to get a place to rebuild hers.

There are ducts for the generator that needs to be in place if you are going to drive it long distances especially in the heat. If it's missing the generator will cook itself.

Axle bearings are always an issue for these big boats.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
If you plan on road tripping a caddy get a spare water pump, generator and starter before the trip. The water pumps are rare as hens teeth. I had to replace one on a 58 a few months ago and a replacement could not be found so I had to get a place to rebuild hers.

Axle bearings are always an issue for these big boats.
Thanks for chiming in Vince!

Motor and trans rebuilt were 12 years ago per owner. I still know nothing about the rebuild though so not sure how modern the rebuild is (have concerns about unleaded gas, and also the stock 10:5 compression running on 91 octane once in the western states and home in Hawaii). Ignition is still using the old points/distributor system, likely will update to electronic per Daemon's recommendation before I fly to it.

The car has been upgraded from a generator to an alternator so all good there.

Checking online, I'm able to find water pumps in stock in a few places for prices ranging from $257 to $334 on ebay, summitracing.com, etc - One place lists them as '59-'62 so the availability seems to be an issue with the '58 and not the '59.

Axle bearings... Hmm... Going to look into this. These are different from wheel bearings, yes?

One major concern about buying parts that are not necessary at this time is that I would have to throw them away once in California so I only want to buy parts that will actually be needed, or be installed before then. I'm not allowed to have any parts or items in the car when it gets dropped off to be shipped to Hawaii.

-Wicked

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Thanks for chiming in Vince!

Motor and trans rebuilt were 12 years ago per owner. I still know nothing about the rebuild though so not sure how modern the rebuild is (have concerns about unleaded gas, and also the stock 10:5 compression running on 91 octane once in the western states and home in Hawaii). Ignition is still using the old points/distributor system, likely will update to electronic per Daemon's recommendation before I fly to it.

The car has been upgraded from a generator to an alternator so all good there.

Checking online, I'm able to find water pumps in stock in a few places for prices ranging from $257 to $334 on ebay, summitracing.com, etc - One place lists them as '59-'62 so the availability seems to be an issue with the '58 and not the '59.

Axle bearings... Hmm... Going to look into this. These are different from wheel bearings, yes?

One major concern about buying parts that are not necessary at this time is that I would have to throw them away once in California so I only want to buy parts that will actually be needed, or be installed before then. I'm not allowed to have any parts or items in the car when it gets dropped off to be shipped to Hawaii.

-Wicked
Can you have someone send you the parts later?

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Can you have someone send you the parts later?
To Hawaii? Shipping overseas is murder. I'm trying to figure out what all I should have replaced/upgraded in the time being before I fly out to pick it up. Have lots of time. Not picking up til late June.

Master-Cylinder

To Hawaii? Shipping overseas is murder. I'm trying to figure out what all I should have replaced/upgraded in the time being before I fly out to pick it up. Have lots of time. Not picking up til late June.
Yeah, I'm looking for a starter motor that seems to only be available in Great Briton, $75.00 shipping! :fu:

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
I wasn't quite ready to just roll over though and give up completely.

To be continued...
So anyways... I get on the phone with Jim the owner. He says he's getting slammed with calls, had somebody show up unexpectedly trying to get the car, but not to worry, the car was still mine to buy and has been telling the other buyers that the car is not available anymore. He clamied that he told the party who had shown up that day, that even if they offered him $300,000 cash, he would still not sell the car to them because he considered it sold to me. :eek:

He asked about my paying a deposit via Walmart transfer instead of a check. Not familiar with this, and I believe that once the money has been wired I would have no way to get my money back if the whole thing turned out to be a scam. We went back and forth about this issue a few times and the deal nearly fell apart because of it. But he agreed to go back to the original plan of a cashiers check being sent. I told him I'd overnight the check. He also told me (and Daemon) to ignore/stop dealing with Marvin his friend.

Off to the bank I went to get a cashiers check made for a deposit, then to the post office to overnight the check. This was on Saturday. The post office informed me that Sunday "does not count" and that the envelope would arrive by 6 pm on Monday. Phone again with Jim and this was fine. Sent Jim pictures of the check and the envelope at the post office along with the tracking information.

Well, come Monday 6 PM the envelope still had not even made it to the mainland and I got an email from Jim (he can barely email) saying it was 8 pm, there was no sign of the check, and that the deal was off. He was angry. Daemon was scheduled to be on his way the next morning with the rest of the money to finalize the deal. I was busy at one of my part time jobs out in the field and unable to sit down in front of a video phone to call. Frantic, I messaged Daemon and asked him if he could give Jim a ring. Thankfully Daemon did and smoothed things over with Jim. Things were back on track for the next day. ๐Ÿ‘

Phew.

I was still worried that this was somehow a scam and that it would turn out that there was a gang camped out at the address robbing and murdering car collectors who showed up to buy... Daemon expressed the same concerns.

Regardless, Daemon and his wife bravely set out with a trailer and a few hours later lay eyes on Jim and the car. The car and Jim both indeed did exist. Was there paperwork? Yup! A picture was taken and sent to me. It indeed said it was a De Ville which this car was not based on what I know about these cars. Red flag. Maybe somebody screwed up somewhere

So did the VIN numbers on the car at least match the title, making the the car legit as a base 6200 at least? Sure didn't look that way Daemon informed me via text.

The door jamb VIN was gone.

Oh crap!

A frantic search around the car and in the engine bay didn't turn up another VIN tag. Over the phone Daemon and I figured out why. This is where the second VIN was supposed to be (firewall). Also gone. Daemon said it looked like it was forcefully removed at one point.

There is supposed to be a third place to find the VIN - somewhere on the frame but it could not be found. Over 30 more agonizing minutes I researched this problem online sending Daemon suggestions on where to look based on other people's posts from different forums and articles while Daemon kept looking around the car. Just when we were about to abort, he messaged me saying he found it and that we were good to go!

They drove the car to town, did their business at the bank, drove back, and the car was loaded up.

Hours later, Daemon and wifey made it back home to Louisiana with the car. :yahoo:

I owe Daemon big time . ๐Ÿ™Œ

I won't be able to fly out to it until June 27. I'm scheduled to pick up Atomic80 (Deaf Asian, lurker, my other best man at wedding, has been to Fox Hill with us, knows some of us in person, also drives a McLaren like Dano) in Houston on the 29th to help with the driving and road trip costs. He needs to be in San Diego by July 6 to catch a return flight home to Washington. Then I hope to sic Big Gar on the boat to work his magic. The paint isn't in great shape I was warned. It was repainted and rechromed about a decade ago and hasn't held up great. We shall see. I'll probably spend 5-7 days in southern CA visiting my kids, other oRg members, and getting any last minute things addressed with the car before dropping it off to be shipped home to Hawaii.

At least that's the plan.

In the meantime, the car is now insured via Hagerty's and I've asked Daemon to drive the car a bunch, mess with it as he sees fit and see what it needs addressing, updating, or replaced. He's also going to reach out to a mechanic or two in the area to see if they can tackle some of the larger things that should be addressed before the pick-up.

On top of the list are the brakes, fluid changes, and upgrading the ignition to electronic. Cooling system check/upgrades as needed and probably a stand-alone visual knock sensor added due to my inability to hear pinging or knocking. Looking into axle bearings as Banditman suggested. Wondering about the waterpump now as well.

Daemon has a big stack of recipts/paperwork that came with the car - Hope to find out soon more about what has already been done, and when. I know the wipers don't work. Seller said the motor doesn't work. Maybe it's that, maybe it's the wiring, maybe it's the switch. Also the dash backlight doesn't work but that one isn't pressing. Waiting to find out if the fan is still aux/belt driven or if it's already been upgraded to an electric one - if not, probably will have that done as well. It's also missing the passenger vent window crank handle - $70 plus shipping for a pair of remanf' ones online to be had.

If anybody else has any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, I'm all ears. Well, you know what I mean. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ–•

-Wicked

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Better take a close look at brake hoses and lines.
I agree. Daemon reported that the brakes are grabby and questionable. Jim also told me the brakes should be replaced when I first called him. Jim the previous owner already ordered new brake linings and a new master cylinder. Daemon has the linings. The master cylinder was out of stock and hopefully will arrive soon. I don't know if it's a reproduction/original single (which I would not trust) or a modern two. If it's a single I'll likely order a more modern and safer system. I briefly looked for a complete brake hose replacement kit but came up short. Waiting to hear how those lines are and if they've already been replaced recently before I start looking again. I also semi-wondered about just replacing the entire thing with disc brakes but suspect that this might be too much. The stock drums supposedly work pretty well.

-Wicked

Dragon 350

BAMF
Good for you!

I went with an aftermarket msd because my stock electronic ignition wasn't working right. On that car I would go with the original points. Points works just fine.

That car is a massive boat! Massive. Take it easy, take it slow.

BigGar

high on placebo
This is just an amazing place. Huge props to Dameon for picking this monster up. I'd recommend getting as much shaking down and repairs done as possible because this is a very long trip for a very old car and yes, I still think Wickedspeed is completely nuts but we all fucking know that.

Master-Cylinder

I agree. Daemon reported that the brakes are grabby and questionable. Jim also told me the brakes should be replaced when I first called him. Jim the previous owner already ordered new brake linings and a new master cylinder. Daemon has the linings. The master cylinder was out of stock and hopefully will arrive soon. I don't know if it's a reproduction/original single (which I would not trust) or a modern two. If it's a single I'll likely order a more modern and safer system. I briefly looked for a complete brake hose replacement kit but came up short. Waiting to hear how those lines are and if they've already been replaced recently before I start looking again. I also semi-wondered about just replacing the entire thing with disc brakes but suspect that this might be too much. The stock drums supposedly work pretty well.

-Wicked
Drove a '74 Nova with drum brakes on all four. When the front got a little damp, they grabbed. Got to the point where we dreaded slightly wet conditions when driving it.

Does the 59 still have ball bearings in the front wheels like a 57? That alone is a good reason for z disc upgrade.

Awesome car. I always thought I'd like to cruise the country in either a 59 Caddy or an Imperial.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
So anyways... I get on the phone with Jim the owner. He says he's getting slammed with calls, had somebody show up unexpectedly trying to get the car, but not to worry, the car was still mine to buy and has been telling the other buyers that the car is not available anymore. He clamied that he told the party who had shown up that day, that even if they offered him $300,000 cash, he would still not sell the car to them because he considered it sold to me. :eek:

He asked about my paying a deposit via Walmart transfer instead of a check. Not familiar with this, and I believe that once the money has been wired I would have no way to get my money back if the whole thing turned out to be a scam. We went back and forth about this issue a few times and the deal nearly fell apart because of it. But he agreed to go back to the original plan of a cashiers check being sent. I told him I'd overnight the check. He also told me (and Daemon) to ignore/stop dealing with Marvin his friend.

Off to the bank I went to get a cashiers check made for a deposit, then to the post office to overnight the check. This was on Saturday. The post office informed me that Sunday "does not count" and that the envelope would arrive by 6 pm on Monday. Phone again with Jim and this was fine. Sent Jim pictures of the check and the envelope at the post office along with the tracking information.

Well, come Monday 6 PM the envelope still had not even made it to the mainland and I got an email from Jim (he can barely email) saying it was 8 pm, there was no sign of the check, and that the deal was off. He was angry. Daemon was scheduled to be on his way the next morning with the rest of the money to finalize the deal. I was busy at one of my part time jobs out in the field and unable to sit down in front of a video phone to call. Frantic, I messaged Daemon and asked him if he could give Jim a ring. Thankfully Daemon did and smoothed things over with Jim. Things were back on track for the next day. ๐Ÿ‘

Phew.

I was still worried that this was somehow a scam and that it would turn out that there was a gang camped out at the address robbing and murdering car collectors who showed up to buy... Daemon expressed the same concerns.

Regardless, Daemon and his wife bravely set out with a trailer and a few hours later lay eyes on Jim and the car. The car and Jim both indeed did exist. Was there paperwork? Yup! A picture was taken and sent to me. It indeed said it was a De Ville which this car was not based on what I know about these cars. Red flag. Maybe somebody screwed up somewhere

So did the VIN numbers on the car at least match the title, making the the car legit as a base 6200 at least? Sure didn't look that way Daemon informed me via text.

The door jamb VIN was gone.

View attachment 98886

Oh crap!

A frantic search around the car and in the engine bay didn't turn up another VIN tag. Over the phone Daemon and I figured out why. This is where the second VIN was supposed to be (firewall). Also gone. Daemon said it looked like it was forcefully removed at one point.

View attachment 98887

There is supposed to be a third place to find the VIN - somewhere on the frame but it could not be found. Over 30 more agonizing minutes I researched this problem online sending Daemon suggestions on where to look based on other people's posts from different forums and articles while Daemon kept looking around the car. Just when we were about to abort, he messaged me saying he found it and that we were good to go!

They drove the car to town, did their business at the bank, drove back, and the car was loaded up.

View attachment 98889

Hours later, Daemon and wifey made it back home to Louisiana with the car. :yahoo:

View attachment 98885

I owe Daemon big time . ๐Ÿ™Œ

I won't be able to fly out to it until June 27. I'm scheduled to pick up Atomic80 (Deaf Asian, lurker, my other best man at wedding, has been to Fox Hill with us, knows some of us in person, also drives a McLaren like Dano) in Houston on the 29th to help with the driving and road trip costs. He needs to be in San Diego by July 6 to catch a return flight home to Washington. Then I hope to sic Big Gar on the boat to work his magic. The paint isn't in great shape I was warned. It was repainted and rechromed about a decade ago and hasn't held up great. We shall see. I'll probably spend 5-7 days in southern CA visiting my kids, other oRg members, and getting any last minute things addressed with the car before dropping it off to be shipped home to Hawaii.

At least that's the plan.

In the meantime, the car is now insured via Hagerty's and I've asked Daemon to drive the car a bunch, mess with it as he sees fit and see what it needs addressing, updating, or replaced. He's also going to reach out to a mechanic or two in the area to see if they can tackle some of the larger things that should be addressed before the pick-up.

On top of the list are the brakes, fluid changes, and upgrading the ignition to electronic. Cooling system check/upgrades as needed and probably a stand-alone visual knock sensor added due to my inability to hear pinging or knocking. Looking into axle bearings as Banditman suggested. Wondering about the waterpump now as well.

Daemon has a big stack of recipts/paperwork that came with the car - Hope to find out soon more about what has already been done, and when. I know the wipers don't work. Seller said the motor doesn't work. Maybe it's that, maybe it's the wiring, maybe it's the switch. Also the dash backlight doesn't work but that one isn't pressing. Waiting to find out if the fan is still aux/belt driven or if it's already been upgraded to an electric one - if not, probably will have that done as well. It's also missing the passenger vent window crank handle - $70 plus shipping for a pair of remanf' ones online to be had.

If anybody else has any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, I'm all ears. Well, you know what I mean. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ–•

-Wicked
This is fucking great. And if you need a place in Az. to stay, I have a room for you. That map of yours is clearly fucked, so once you out an actual route, please post it.

S.C.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
This is just an amazing place. Huge props to Dameon for picking this monster up. I'd recommend getting as much shaking down and repairs done as possible because this is a very long trip for a very old car and yes, I still think Wickedspeed is completely nuts but we all fucking know that.
It's shit like this event/story/whateverthefuck, that make me love this place, and also give me hope and ambition. I can now plan on a trip to New Mexico (right, Dano?), and maybe having Wicked at my place. With the past two years of fucking shit from COVID, I'm desperately wanting to get back in the groove of being with people, doing shit, and loving life.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
So, estimated time of departure of road trip is June 27th?
Better if it's July, for me

I may be able to work it out so I can do chase truck duty?

At the least, I'd like to meet up with you all in Louisiana.

Need to coordinate with Dameon to make sure it's okay for me to be seen on his property though...

...he was so disagreeable the last time I saw him.

:smile2:

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
The trip schedule and locations are loosely based on these logistics:

June 27 in Louisiana: Earliest I can get to the car.
Atomic80 my co-piliot can fly to wherever I am with the car on the 29th but wants to buy his tickets yesterday.

July 6 in San Diego: Atomic80 needs to catch his flight home. San Diego because I'd like to visit my kids there before they go off to horse camp on the 10th. I can travel again after, or drop the car off to be shipped home.

Locations extremely loosely marked out on map:
Louisiana start on 27th, 28th, or 29th.
Houston airport to pick up Atomic80 on the 29th? Short drive from Louisiana. Safe bet. Pick up location can still be changed.
29th and/or 30th: Galveston, Texas for foil surfing Oil Tanker wakes. Yes, this is a thing and I plan to bring a surfboard/foil system. Still waiting on confirmation from somebody with a boat there for this. Might be a no-go though.
Next day - scariest and longest leg planned. 925 mile drive across Texas to Dano's in New Mexico. 15 hours, 37 minutes. Smart to break this up in half and into two days I know. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm Wickedspeed and will likely be fueled by caffeine for the entire trip.
Day after - north to the Grand Canyon (just because I've never seen it) and/or Scott. Maybe continue to Moab (Atomic80 and I are interested in seeing it) or do that the next day?
Day after - southwest to Vegas?
Day after - Southwest some more to San Diego?

Some thoughts: There's a huge seat in the back if my surfboard and foil will fit in the trunk so probably room if somebody here wants to join for parts of the trip. Donkey shows in Mexico still on the table. Will Dano have died in his ultralight by then (dibs on the wicked plates off of the McLaren)? Moab is quite the detour. D: Hookers. Would love to see Qwik in Colorado but that's an even bigger detour. Can I get the Caddy to wheelie?

-Wicked

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The trip schedule and locations are loosely based on these logistics:

June 27 in Louisiana: Earliest I can get to the car.
Atomic80 my co-piliot can fly to wherever I am with the car on the 29th but wants to buy his tickets yesterday.

July 6 in San Diego: Atomic80 needs to catch his flight home. San Diego because I'd like to visit my kids there before they go off to horse camp on the 10th. I can travel again after, or drop the car off to be shipped home.

View attachment 98905

Locations extremely loosely marked out on map:
Louisiana start on 27th, 28th, or 29th.
Houston airport to pick up Atomic80 on the 29th? Short drive from Louisiana. Safe bet. Pick up location can still be changed.
29th and/or 30th: Galveston, Texas for foil surfing Oil Tanker wakes. Yes, this is a thing and I plan to bring a surfboard/foil system. Still waiting on confirmation from somebody with a boat there for this. Might be a no-go though.
Next day - scariest and longest leg planned. 925 mile drive across Texas to Dano's in New Mexico. 15 hours, 37 minutes. Smart to break this up in half and into two days I know. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm Wickedspeed and will likely be fueled by caffeine for the entire trip.
Day after - north to the Grand Canyon (just because I've never seen it) and/or Scott. Maybe continue to Moab (Atomic80 and I are interested in seeing it) or do that the next day?
Day after - southwest to Vegas?
Day after - Southwest some more to San Diego?

Some thoughts: There's a huge seat in the back if my surfboard and foil will fit in the trunk so probably room if somebody here wants to join for parts of the trip. Donkey shows in Mexico still on the table. Will Dano have died in his ultralight by then (dibs on the wicked plates off of the McLaren)? Moab is quite the detour. D: Hookers. Would love to see Qwik in Colorado but that's an even bigger detour. Can I get the Caddy to wheelie?

-Wicked

Just looking at this roughly, I know the meet up in Louisiana is doable and part of the legs could be worked out as well.

I would like to see Dano in NM and stop in AZ to see Scott and Try to catch up with Brandi, at the least I need to get a hug from her, then on to Las Vegas to see that prick there and give him his 56cc boat anchors.
California, just for the biscuits and gravy contest.

Texas is all over the place still, I'd like to visit my Jarhead sister and my nephews, where would be the question as it could be anywhere between DFW, College Station and just North of Houston.

Let me work on a plan and see where this could work.
At the very least I'll be out there on the road, in the general area, in case you do need assistance along the way.

I'll get my digits to you and Dameon, after I get the bug killer granual dust washed off my person.

This could turn out to be a time!

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
I'm sure you will be able to wheelie the Cad. Once.
:neo:

I have half a mind to see about having it LS swapped but assuming the motor is still good (rebuilt 12 or so years ago apparently) I am not sure how bad of an idea doing so would be in terms of resale value, budgeting and timing.

Some car pics that I downloaded from the original ad. It is my understanding that the car photographed well and the chrome/paint is in slightly worse shape than the pictures show. It was rechromed 10 ago to the tune of $5k but poorly and is peeling/pitting in some places.

It has the optional seat belts installed for the wheelie attempts (yes, they were a dealer added option back in the day).

Of great interest to me is this one. It's the only picture I have to date of the engine area. I'm trying to figure out which carburetor it has. Not that it matters, I wouldn't know what to do with that information. These cars came with two different systems and it was a roll of dice back then on which one a car ended up with. The R-something carburetor is the worse one overall, but idles better. I do obviously note the aftermarket air cleaner. Not sure if that's a bummer or a good thing.

Is that radiator original? If so, I probably should upgrade it to a more modern one. I see what looks like a second cooler in front of the radiator. The seller told me that this car has an aftermarket AC that blows cold. Is that what this cooler is for?

I just found out from Dameon (note the improved spelling of his name, Vicious Cycle) that the radiator fan is still belt driven. Is that also called a mechanical fan? Or is that a clutch fan? What's the difference? Some people posted that '59 owners should be moving away from the original fan set up due to parasitic loss of engine power and consequently more likelihood of overheating to an electric only fan. Some swear by a clutch fan despite these wearing out? Some say Mechanical is the safest bet. Somebody claimed a 12-18 HP increase by going to an electric fan alone. Thoughts?

Any other observations or things of interest noticed?

-Wicked

BigGar

high on placebo
Considering that the electric system has been upgraded to an alternator, I certainly think a electric fan setup would be a good choice to pull air through that old radiator or even a new three or four core radiator. If you're looking for a carburetor I would probably just go with an Edelbrock because they seem to work well on those big engines. My Imperial had an Edelbrock and I was always happy with how it ran and the fuel economy as well.
If it currently runs well and stays cool then I wouldn't fuck with any of it. I would definitely turn a trusted mechanic loose on it, yesterday, and have that person do a lot of shakedown work and road testing and fixing shit.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Cooler in front of the radiator is A/C condenser, part of the system that makes the A/C work.
Like a steam engine in reverse.

Probably a fixed fan, can't see if it has been modded with a clutch.
Electric fan mod is more efficient.

Carburetor, I have no idea.

I don't/won't mind taking a look over the machine when I get there.

Looks like a great deal of fun...
...and some suffering, as it is with all old cars/hot rods.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Considering that the electric system has been upgraded to an alternator, I certainly think a electric fan setup would be a good choice to pull air through that old radiator or even a new three or four core radiator. If you're looking for a carburetor I would probably just go with an Edelbrock because they seem to work well on those big engines. My Imperial had an Edelbrock and I was always happy with how it ran and the fuel economy as well. If it
currently runs well and stays cool then I wouldn't fuck with any of it. I would definitely turn a trusted mechanic loose on it, yesterday, and have that person do a lot of shakedown work and road testing and fixing shit.
Edelbrock/Carter design carburetors work just fine as replacements.

BigGar

high on placebo
Budget a LOT up front to fix things up. $5-10K. Tires, brakes, master cylinder, booster, brake lines, fuel lines, any and all worn suspension and steering parts, cooling system upgrades and repairs, belts, hoses, service ALL fluids, etc...
Anything you do now won't have to be done in Hawaii where it will cost far more in time and money and will also I sure a better road trip.
Document all the work and it will come back to you on resale too.
You need to err on the side of complete overkill.
Bring a big credit card for emergencies and make sure you have AAA or similar road service as no matter how prepared you are, you're likely going to need it.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Edelbrock/Carter design carburetors work just fine as replacements.
Carter is the name of the other carburetor that came on these cars. Hope mine has that. ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks Gar and Wretch. Tomorrow Dameon is going to call a mechanic nearby that was recommened by a guy who owns a couple of old Caddys to feel him out and see if he's up for going through the car/prepping it. Hope he's great.

-Wicked

I would guess it either has a Rochester 4 jet or maybe a Carter WCFB. Problem with both of them is that a later Eddy or Carter will not bolt on because of the small bolt pattern of the original carb. You can probably find an adapter plate, but a 4 jet isn't a bad carb, just small.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I would guess it either has a Rochester 4 jet or maybe a Carter WCFB. Problem with both of them is that a later Eddy or Carter will not bolt on because of the small bolt pattern of the original carb. You can probably find an adapter plate, but a 4 jet isn't a bad carb, just small.
The trick is getting either brand setup properly, seems to be a lost art to a great many out there anymore.

I had forgotten about the smaller bolt pattern but, like you mentioned, there are workable adapters available.

LE05BUSA

GFY
Edelbrock/Carter should have the narrow pattern and the wide pattern.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
You know it. Even have my route all mapped out already even though I haven't asked Dano yet. :biggrin:

View attachment 98884

-Wicked
Wicked road trip 2.0!!!! ๐Ÿ‘
You, Atomic80, Wretch, Scott, and anyone else that wants to tag along are welcome! One spare bedroom available.
I don't plan on being dead yet, but you never know!

I didn't see mention of it, but make sure the wiper blades are up to the task. That's monsoon time in South Texas.

If it were me, I'd put a big brake kit on it. Drums suck when they get hot, especially on a barge like that.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
I'm a purist who prefers completely stock and "original-as-can-be" when it comes to old cars. But considering the amount of driving you plan to do (in a 63-year-old car), limited schedule availability to make the trip, fuel costs, replacement part availability, etc. I'd be looking closely at the LS swap option right now, before you start throwing money at the old girl.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
The route you have mapped out goes around the Grand Canyon. You need to go further West on I40 to the South Rim to really see the canyon..
then to get to Utah you will need to either backtrack, or, go to Vegas and then to Utah.

Top Bottom