Oldest cemetary in chatt...

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
So this is the brainerd mission cemetary...
Brainerd is where I happen to live and named after David Brainerd and the mission that was founded in his name.

Its now a Medium sized suburb of chattanooga..

The original
Chickamaugua Town was built on the edge of south Chickamaugua creek (a tributary that flows to the TN river) which is now a polluted piece of shit. But that doesn't stop the yuppies from kayaking it these days.... I remember doing this it at 15 with many beers and joint's in a john boat. The indians used this (then) pristine creek for fishing, drinking water, mills, irrigation and transportation.

The missionaries moved to this area to tame these heathens and to teach them god... Sigh
.. As well as reading and writing and basic math for integration purposes...

This is the cemetary that was founded in that mission..

Also if you travel from 24 east towards 75 south you will cross over missionary ridge named for those missionaries that traversed over the ridge
To the river to spread the word so to speak...
Missionary's ridge is full of historic civil war battles as well.. One day ill do a write up on the history of that as well.. Except on the bike... Lots of neat things to show around town on that.

Its a shame that all of the indian names have been lost on the headstone...
Tree must be close to 200 years... Lightning sucks..
A little info on the original founder of the area...

Neat story.. John Sevier can suck my dick... Seveirville is named for him and thats the area around gatlinburg...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevierville,_Tennessee
He came and attacked the indians when the warriors were away on a war part. Coward.
My favorite message inscribed by the daughters of the american revolution..

Proverbs 22:28
King James Version

28 Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.

This goes for land marks or statues you dont agree with or those that offend you.

Lots of old ones scattered around here. Tons of dead babies in them. Some criminals, lots of veterans too. You can tell who has/had means. This one i go to is right next to "empire" quarry and I'll give you 3 guesses of which building was built with some of the limestone from it.

OP
Squidwerd

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
What a shit hole. Don't any of you hillbillies own a fucking rake?
I said that as well... Its a shame.... I might go by and do some raking as apparently the locals here dont give a fuck... Too busy buying starbucks right next door... Ive never seen another soul enter the place besides me.

Sad shit.

rotts4u

BAMF
Thans for sharing. I live here and of course know where the cemetery is but I never stopped to look at it and I didn't know about David Brainerd !! Good info Squid!!

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Show some respect and put the zingers to rest
No "zinger", the New Woke World want all traces of 17th, 18th, and 19th century memorials of white people gone. Especially southern whites.
How long before all US Currency get redone with "diverse" peoples portraits on them. That butt ugly Harriet Tubman will probably be on the $20.00 by this tyme next year. MLK on the hunnert, George Washington...Carver on the $1.00, Al Sharpton on the five. WHo would they deface the $10.00 bill with?

My folks are buried in a tiny old cemetery out in the country. There are a lot of Civil War graves there, as well as some from the late 1700s. I have a relative there who passed in 1796.

My mother's grandparents are in one that's a little newer. It's a German church graveyard.20181202_102137.jpg

There are tons of old graveyards all over our area. It's interesting to explore them.

When I was younger some buddies and I used to get drunk and explore cemetaries at night. There was one grave in particular that stood out. It was known as the 'Grave with the Glass Top'. The man had been buried in the early 1920s and there was a clear cover on it so you could see the casket. I am guessing it either leaked like crazy or had been broken because it had been filled with concrete in the 1950s. The inscription on the stone read "As you are now I once was. As I am now you will be. So prepare for death my children and follow me.".

OP
Squidwerd

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
When I was younger some buddies and I used to get drunk and explore cemetaries at night. There was one grave in particular that stood out. It was known as the 'Grave with the Glass Top'. The man had been buried in the early 1920s and there was a clear cover on it so you could see the casket. I am guessing it either leaked like crazy or had been broken because it had been filled with concrete in the 1950s. The inscription on the stone read "As you are now I once was. As I am now you will be. So prepare for death my children and follow me.".
I plan on cremation and being scattered into the ocean...

But if the kids fuck up and bury me well my epitaph will be a motley crue chorus... Im undecided between girls girls girls or kickstart my heart...

Top Bottom