Oil Change related - OK or neglect?

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Sorry for the bike related question, and it's oil related, so extra fuckery is in the air!

Talking with a friend today about motorcycles and he mentions that the last time he changed the oil in of his bikes was 2 years ago, literally, May 2018. I called him out on that thinking that's just neglect, but he countered with the fact that he's only put 2,900 miles on that bike in the past 2 years and it's sitting with Mobil full synthetic 4T 10W-40 so it's fine.

So what's the deal, is that OK to do based on the bike not being ridden much at all or does the oil break down over time and he should get that out of there now?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I go 5+ years on the oil change on my truck. I send a sample in, they say it could have sat in there another 5 years. Mobil One.
Now if it is some old clapped out carbureted shit heap... well, it really doesn't matter.
It does need to get hot enough to boil the moisture out of the oil/engine.
I change my oil, mileage wise, way to soon. Oil is a whole lot cheaper than an engine.

I think your friend is right as long as he doesn't start his bike for the hell of it all the time and it's fuel injected. I'd be more worried about whatever fuel is sitting in the half full tank or whatever.

Some ppl are anal about oil for whatever reason, usually because that's the extent of their vehicular knowledge. I used to know this guy that would store his bike with unrun dino oil in it, and come spring he would change to synthetic for the riding season.

In my career I have dumped so much good oil in the recycle bin.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
Yeah, just tell us the circumstances which create this highly corrosive compound in the crankcase.
Ain't no body gots time to take chemistry classes an shit... :screama:
Lol! That made me smile.

KOH is an acid neutralizer that is part of the additive package of engine oil. It's also time sensitive but the industry is getting better at stabilizing the additives over the long term.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Lol! That made me smile.

KOH is an acid neutralizer that is part of the additive package of engine oil. It's also time sensitive but the industry is getting better at stabilizing the additives over the long term.
Hey, alkalines is highly corrosive too!

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
No matter the forum, bike, or brand.....a good oil thread will always seem to stir some shit🤣
Mobil 4T....2500 miles
No real winter to speak of in Tucson

Master-Cylinder

I think your friend is right as long as he doesn't start his bike for the hell of it all the time and it's fuel injected. I'd be more worried about whatever fuel is sitting in the half full tank or whatever.

Some ppl are anal about oil for whatever reason, usually because that's the extent of their vehicular knowledge. I used to know this guy that would store his bike with unrun dino oil in it, and come spring he would change to synthetic for the riding season.

In my career I have dumped so much good oil in the recycle bin.
I love the fucking idiots that "run" their motorcycle in the garage to keep it from gumming up. The olde "I haven't ridden it in three years, but I would start it every month". They'd eventually take it out and ride it, thing barely running, bring it in and I'd deal with it. After I cleaned the carbs and stuck them back on, I'd have to crank the idle speed screw out four turns. They had been cranking it in every quarter to get it to idle as it was slowly gummed up.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Never used a synthetic, that I know of. Never will.
I’ll repeat myself at the risk if being redundant ...have worked on my own shit for 50 years and owned a couple of repair shops...never have I heard of engine failure due to oil ( except when it wasn’t changed for 20,000 miles) many other things will fail causing someone to get rid of their car, internal engine failure is not one of them IMO

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
NORTHERN FL Home of the 2020 Pub Convention
I love the fucking idiots that "run" their motorcycle in the garage to keep it from gumming up. The olde "I haven't ridden it in three years, but I would start it every month". They'd eventually take it out and ride it, thing barely running, bring it in and I'd deal with it. After I cleaned the carbs and stuck them back on, I'd have to crank the idle speed screw out four turns. They had been cranking it in every quarter to get it to idle as it was slowly gummed up.
I dont know how you put up with that shit for 30+ years...lol. I had friend that was breaking my balls about my pickled bikes. Did not understand why they all shouldnt be ready to fire up...lol. I told him many times... they are fresh gas and a battery away from firing. And his incessant texts about tech advice. Then through the magic of modern smart phones... I blocked him. Best invention ever. :fu:

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
NORTHERN FL Home of the 2020 Pub Convention
I’ll repeat myself at the risk if being redundant ...have worked on my own shit for 50 years and owned a couple of repair shops...never have I heard of engine failure due to oil ( except when it wasn’t changed for 20,000 miles) many other things will fail causing someone to get rid of their car, internal engine failure is not one of them IMO
I have documented proof of 6 engine oil related failures in the Marble Falls area... :D

Master-Cylinder

Of course you must know by now, that I get my oil tested at each change. I get their news letter, they say don't bother using synthetic oil in your street junk, just change the shit when you should, or sooner. I still use synthetic oil. And change it too often.

OP
WarpSpeed

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
So I should advise him to add a pint of kerosene, fire it up and let it run for 9 minutes and then he'll be good for another 2 years. Got it!

My ZX-14 hasn't had the oil changed since before we went to the Black Hills in 2018. I normally take it to chuck356 every spring. Last year it rained every day I had a chance to get it there. This year my leg's been fucked up so I can't ride it. I haven't started it since last October. It sits in the garage with a battery tender on it.

Master-Cylinder

Ok that makes sense, Ida though getting oil back up and over things was a good idea. I do let mine run til the fan comes on. 🤷‍♂️
[/QUOTE

Gotta get some flow thru the jets or injectors, otherwise they pass just enough fuel to idle and stuff, but not take WFO and a load.
I will turn stuff I have in deep storage over by hand a few revolutions when ever I think aboot it. You can jump the solenoid and turn the engine over to pump some oil without starting it.

Vegas12

BAMF+

I agree with this 100%.......but I pulled a grumpaw and did my 1st oil change on my new diesel with Rotella T6 because it was on sale and only a few dollars more a gallon than the dino oil.

The auto parts store matched the Wally world on line price and knocked off over $10 a gallon!!

Ed

And you'd get the same great results with a dino oil...
Show me the dino oil that can stand up to sustained oil-boiler temps of 250°F+ in the pan :lol: ...I won't hold my breath.

I'd be running the green Brad Penn partial-synth for its' additive package, but it just doesn't last in our Summer heat.

Bandit Man

BAMF
I only ran Dino oil. 20-50 rotella unless the castrol motorcycle was cheaper on sale.

Changed every 4k on watercooled bikes and when shifting got shitty on the oil cooled bikes in the summer and every 3k in the winter.

Never used synthetic oil.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Show me the dino oil that can stand up to sustained oil-boiler temps of 250°F+ in the pan :lol: ...I won't hold my breath.

I'd be running the green Brad Penn partial-synth for its' additive package, but it just doesn't last in our Summer heat.

I guarantee you I have subjected dino oils to the absolute extreme operating parameters in the desert heat.

Talking 35' foot gas powered motorhomes towing a car to diesels towing up to 15k..
and, like Sail, have never had an oil related failure.

The correct rating and OCI is more important.

I do understand a synthetic will allow a longer OCI, but I'm too OCD to take advantage of that.

I did spend about $10 more for the synthetic oil change this time around......but if it's not on sale in 5000 miles, I'll have no problem going back to the Motorcraft 15w40 I used for nearly 100k on my last truck.

So I guess it comes down to what price we are willing to pay for the perceived advantages of syn vs dino.

Normally the T-6 would be about $30 more than the dino......I'll pass at that price.

Until this truck, I actually haven't done an oil change myself in a while since I have a hookup at the Valvoline lube joint....he charges me $20 for my cars.

I did the 1st change in my new truck myself at 500 miles.....installed the fumoto valve.

I think the lube joint charges me $10 for just labor....I may do that next time since I still haven't dumped the 13 quarts from this change...lol!!

I was using Rural King branded oil in my truck, until they dropped their Dexos approved 5w30 synthetic.

One day it just all disappeared from the shelves. Shit was like $2 a quart or something low outrageous.

Top Bottom