...obsolete hardware...

roadczar

BAMF
Hapo, with all due respect, it sounds like you have just enough computer knowledge to be dangerous. Take that laptop to someone that knows what they are doing.
Good advice.

Hapo Hapo unfortunately messing with partitions involves command line work: "Diskpart" command. Not a rocket science, but once done it, you will be stuck working through BIOS and command line. Things will get even more confusing. We can try it here, but it will be against my better judgement, we will encounter issues. Let me know.

I will be happy to try and resolve it, but you will have to send me your laptop.

Don't send your stuff back yet! rumble phish rumble phish will get your PC going in no time building one is not a big deal. Viruses can get more complicated.

Before we give up ... Try this. It will reset your windows to a generic MS image. After this you can try dell process again.

roadczar

BAMF
May I suggest a new route?

Replace the laptop's SSD with a new one and do a clean install of Win10. Basically start from scratch. Yes, you'll lose any data on the old drive, but at this point what's the difference? I would not trust the old infected drive anymore.
Most laptops have multiple drives. looking at his specs: "Interface SATA 6 Gbps Hard drive One 2.5-inch drive Solid state drive One M.2 drive" It may get more complicated than just pluging in a new M.2.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I should have pulled the M.2 drive out of your machine...LoL...

rumble phish

BAMF+
...methinks maybe it's time to bin it and fuk windows...
You can always run Linux. I prefer Ubuntu, as it is very user friendly as far as Linux goes. The only real problem is running Microsoft 365 and games o n it. Some games will work, but the ones I like to play will not. I suppose I could try running a virtual Win10 machine on Linux and try running MS 365 on it...

roadczar

BAMF
You can always run Linux. I prefer Ubuntu, as it is very user friendly as far as Linux goes. The only real problem is running Microsoft 365 and games o n it. Some games will work, but the ones I like to play will not. I suppose I could try running a virtual Win10 machine on Linux and try running MS 365 on it...
Yes, Linux will simplify things for Hapo. :biggrin1a:

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...trying recovery out of windows settings...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...the flash drive seems to get blocked so I doubt this won't...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I guess I should toss the flash drive now...LoL...

...RIP OUT all the drives...!!!...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...Windows was good enough to let me know that it had been unable to remove all my personal files so if I wanted to sell or recycle computer to run recovery again...

...I just changed all my passwords...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I am pretty sure it still has the trojan...I don't want to enter any passwords I just changed...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I am going to stop fuking with it before the virus escapes and infects more shit...

...did you miss the part where Malwarebytes and the Windows utility both reported files they did not remove...???...

...what do you suppose those are...???...

...I don't want to let Widows do all that stuff on this machine...

...not with unknown files Malwarebytes and the Windows recovery utility can't remove are lurking around in there...

...that machine is locked up IMHO...can't go forward, can't got back...I have another SSD on the way...

...the issue is the OEM SATA HDD...I don't know if that was even involved in any of this or recognized by the Virus or the Recovery utility...

...I don't remember if I can get that out...

...I still like that old computer even though it was never really very good...it has a great OLED 4K display and that's the part I look at...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that was my first inclination...:wink2:

...this is like the worst time to buy a computer ever...:confused2:

...the Unspeakable Irony of this situation does not escape me...or is it the other way around...?!?...(both)...!?!..:dash2:

...one thing that has not escaped us is that this $250 chrome book seems to......suffice... .!.:D.!.

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...another thing that has occurred to me is that I could have given the computer to my nephew...

...I forgot aboot him a pique of temper...he could have used a powerful graphic solution on one of his graphics projects...

...the memory would be useful as well...

...if you still feel like sending it back I will PM you his address...as long as it doesn't end up here...

...if it has you excited just keep it...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...nobody can help with that but I probably deserve it...

...like I told OMEGA once...if we got what we deserved, we'd be dead...

...not speaking for anyone but Hapo and OMEGA, but it this true for many here, IMHO...

rumble phish

BAMF+
An update for those following this train wreck...

Hapo shipped the PC out in two packages. Package #1 had the GPU and the boxes/manuals for the rest of the PC components. Package #2 has the actual PC in it.

Package #1 showed up on time. There is definitely an issue with one of the GPU's fans, as it is a bit wobbly and I can hear the bearing when I spin it by hand.

Here's where it's goes downhill 😥 Package #2 seems to be missing. It was supposed to be here on Monday, but it simply says that it had left the last depot (SFO) on route to the distribution depot in Sacramento. It is still "In Transit". Hapo thinks it's lost/stolen, but I'm holding out hope it'll still make it. I called the USPS and all they could tell me is that it's on it's way and will be late (well no shit Sherlock!).

This is turning out much like the Bronco thread, as Hapo likes to say :dash2:

The fucked part is that if Package #2 IS lost, Hapo will be out some serious cabbage. Not cool.

An update for those following this train wreck...

Hapo shipped the PC out in two packages. Package #1 had the GPU and the boxes/manuals for the rest of the PC components. Package #2 has the actual PC in it.

Package #1 showed up on time. There is definitely an issue with one of the GPU's fans, as it is a bit wobbly and I can hear the bearing when I spin it by hand.

Here's where it's goes downhill 😥 Package #2 seems to be missing. It was supposed to be here on Monday, but it simply says that it had left the last depot (SFO) on route to the distribution depot in Sacramento. It is still "In Transit". Hapo thinks it's lost/stolen, but I'm holding out hope it'll still make it. I called the USPS and all they could tell me is that it's on it's way and will be late (well no shit Sherlock!).

This is turning out much like the Bronco thread, as Hapo likes to say :dash2:

The fucked part is that if Package #2 IS lost, Hapo will be out some serious cabbage. Not cool.
Don't give up just yet. I bet it'll show up soon, albeit very late.

I had a USPS package that showed the same thing, showed up a few weeks later when I was all set to file a claim.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...how long do they pretend it is "still in transit to the next facility"...???...

...I am pretty sure it has reached the "next facility" aboot the same time it got sepperated from the other package after they arrived @ San Francisco...

Last edited:

Ed

Don't lose hope just yet- the USPS seems stuck in one of their cyclical "impossibly bad" modes.

I recently ordered a couple of power cords through Amazon, took USPS two full weeks to move them from Cleveland to Philly then four more weeks from Philly to Charlotte... all the while "in transit" was the only tracking detail available. In a USPS "Priority" mailer.

I'm sure that it's Trump's fault, somehow :fu:

Top Bottom