...obsolete hardware...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
Don't you worry! You will get it back soon enough right after rumble phish rumble phish finishes his jeep. :biggrin1a:
Time to reload OS on the laptop? :D
...is that all it takes...???...

...there is no return address on the stuff I sent 'phish...I did send tracking #'s...he can do as he likes with it, but if he sells it I want 50%...

Last edited:

roadczar

BAMF
That sucks. :cry: Change all important passwords using a clean device.

Run Malwarebytes couple of times (rebooting between each run) to see if it re-infects itself.
See if your laptop manufacturer has windows reinstall package, most do.
If it does, go through it and repeat Malwarebytes again.
Would be best to reformat the drive, but that would be more involved.

What is your laptop model?

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...don't remember I will figger it out...

...the computer does not seem to be re infecting itself...now when I run it it finds no threats...

...FWIW the report listed 721 of the items as PUPs and 28 as threats...

...what are PUPs...???...

...the report had listed some of the files as reinstalled instead of quarantined...???...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I have a recovery drive I made when the computer was new...should I use that...???...

roadczar

BAMF
...I have a recovery drive I made when the computer was new...should I use that...???...
I believe recovery drive (vs win 10 recovery image) is not a full reinstall of win 10.
Go through the process. When prompted if you want to keep your existing files select NO. You will lose everything on your drive, but it will be less of a chance of reinfection.

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
My favorite power amp (SAE Mark IV) started making crackling noises today. Going to have to go through it, recap, etc. I have a backup modern power amp I'll use temporarily. But I love that old SAE - 1970's.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...what model...???...what were the OG specs...???..."obsolete" can be a very relative term in audiophilia...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
After windows is reinstalled and updated to the latest service pack.

Go to Support for Inspiron 15 7559 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US
enter your service tag and download Dell's driver update tool (Let Dell automatically find driver updates for you) and update with the latest Dell specific drivers.
...is there any way to save any files or do I need to burn them all...???...even the photo files...???...

...it looks like the 128GB flash drive I just bought will come in handy after all... :confused2:

Last edited:

roadczar

BAMF
...is there any way to save any files or do I need to burn them all...???...
Pictures and documents "should be pretty safe", but almost anything can be infected. Copy them to a cloud drive after scanning. Scan them again after reloading.
Google Drive gives you 15gb free. If 15gb is not enough... I use Microsoft OneDrive. For $99/yr you get 1tb plus office 365.

Compare All Microsoft 365 Plans (Formerly Office 365) - Microsoft Store

I've never used it, but Amazon also has a cloud photo service.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Don't you worry! You will get it back soon enough right after rumble phish rumble phish finishes his jeep. :biggrin1a:
Time to reload OS on the laptop? :D
Ouch! That hurt :lol:

The Jeep is loooong gone. Went with the Ex-Wife (it was her Dad's anyway, so no biggie).

...is that all it takes...???...

...there is no return address on the stuff I sent 'phish...he can do as he likes with it, but if he sells it I want 50%...
You didn't send me a box with 30 lbs. of dog shit in it, did you?

roadczar

BAMF
...it looks like the 128GB flash drive I just bought will come in handy after all... :confused2:
Hm... 128GB flash drive may be an issue. In the past I've ran into problems with drives over 32gb. It's been a while, If I remember ...installer had an issue during the format step, I've been using 16gb drives since.
Most likely resolved by now so no reason not to try it.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...fuk...!!!...I can't get nuthin' right...!!!...:confused2::retard::screama:

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...there is room here for that...I might just lose some data...

...I am definitely drying out for a good spell...

...'phish deserves it...he was really stepping up from the start and there at the finish...

...it didn't seem worth tearing apart and trying to unload parts...can't return the GPU and would be pretty much stuck with the CPU as well...

...all the other parts are fukin used now...

...a lot of thought went into it...not much of it mine...LoL...

...it was goona be sweet...

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
...there is room here for that...I might just lose some data...

...I am definitely drying out for a good spell...

...'phish deserves it...he was really stepping up from the start and there at the finish...

...it didn't seem worth tearing apart and trying to unload parts...can't return the GPU and would be pretty much stuck with the CPU as well...

...all the other parts are fukin used now...

...a lot of thought went into it...not much of it mine...LoL...

...it was goona be sweet...
Hapo, I'm gonna get that rig of yours purring like a kitten and I'm shipping it back to you. You'll be dominating the skies over Virtual Russia soon enough my friend. :up:

This place is like a second family to me and just because we've never met IRL, and we've often disagreed, doesn't mean I don't have your back my brother :up:

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that's why I thought 'phish should have it...I was gonna leave it out for the trash pickers...that seemed more mature than smashing/trashing...

...it would be interesting to hear what needed sorting...I am thinking it just needed bios drivers installed...I just never got that far...

...if it comes back here at best it will just end up in a box stored out of harpy sight in a wet basement...

...that's the issue that shut this down, not bogus software...this is as explicit as I care to get...

...I still have a strong interest in obsolete hardware...just not right now...

...what can I say...???...reality suks...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
If that USB drive infected your laptop, then it is also probably the culprit keeping you from getting the new build going.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I figgered something was wrong with the flash drive when the new unit would not boot from it...pretty smart, eh...

...but I wasn't smart enough to NOT put it in my lap top to see what was wrong with it...LoL...

...Bitdefender is apparently quite useless...don't know that Malwarebits has defeated it but at least it saw it...

...see above aboot core issue...I need to go make sure her meds are sorted...

roadczar

BAMF
Not sure what you mean it "reinstalled some", unless you mean the virus re-instantiated itself
Couple of things to try:

Under security make sure "Scan for rootkits" option is enabled, enable and rescan.
Also, check to make sure there is nothing under "Allow List"

At this point you don't have much to lose, so after checking the above, go ahead and try to reinstall regardless. There is a chance it will not spread to the new build.

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...what I mean is that when I checked the report Malwarebyts had reinstalled some of the files...

...then it ignored them...I assumed that was the trojen worm defeating Malwarebits...

...right now the full trial version of Malwarebyts is running...

...can I use this computer to download the windows recovery image onto the flash drive...???...

...can I do it on a Chromebook...???...

...now I can't log onto Amazon Prime anymore because I changed all my passwords except this one...I don't care aboot this one...they can hack this account... .!. :D .!.

Last edited:

roadczar

BAMF
...what I mean is that when I checked the report Malwarebyts had reinstalled some of the files...

...then it ignored them...I assumed that was the trojen worm defeating Malwarebits...

...right now the full trial version of Malwarebyts is running...

...can I use this computer to download the windows recovery image onto the flash drive...???...

...can I do it on a Chromebook...???...

...I changed all my passwords except this one...I don't care aboot this one...they can hack this account... .!. :D .!.
You have to download and install it, it has to be a windows box. Does not sound like you have a choice, but to try it?
The worst will happen is you'll waste some more time.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...you mean just try it on this infected machine...???...can I do it now...?!?...it is the only windows machine I have...

...the last run of malwarebytes reported two new threats that it proceeded to ignore...

...at least it reports...Bitdefender didn't see shit...

...I figger the worst that could happen is that I will think I have a clean install when I am in reality still infected and get my accounts compromised...

roadczar

BAMF
I would just try it on the infected machine.
Like I said the best case scenario is it will work, the worst case is the install will fail, temporarily resulting in a non-functioning laptop and you will have to do deal with it some other way (or most likely you will still have an infected machine).

If it does not work we can try some other things.
You can send it to me (ala Phish) or find someone locally.

I can try creating a clean flash drive send it to you.
You will then need to reformat your laptop drive which will wipe everything and use my flash drive to install the OS. This could get somewhat tricky as you cannot format your boot drive from within windows. If the virus is smart enough it will try to propagate so we'll probably need to use two usb drives one to format that will be assumed to be infected then another one to install OS.

We can also try using DVD drive instead of USB to prevent the spread.

At this point it is what it is. You won a prize for the number of viruses. :D

🏆

roadczar

BAMF
Did you try this?

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I thought that what I was doing here...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...after downloading the recovery files to the flash drive the computer said there are no files on it...

...when I press F12 and follow the instructions it just boots up...

...maybe it's time to bin this...from two PC's to no PC's in 24 hrs...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...yes...I prepared the flash drive and got a green light...

...when I press F12 it was already set for EUFI so I pressed enter...then the computer booted up like it usually does and that was it...

...I never had any options...

...I tried it again and now it seems stuck on "verifying image"...ok, now it's "extracting"...

Last edited:

roadczar

BAMF
It will take a while to download windows to the recovery drive. Did you see this screen while creating a recovery drive?

When installing windows 10 did you select the USB recovery drive before pressing enter?

When you navigate to the USB drive in file explorer it is empty?

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...it was the first time I ran it...the second time it "excecated"...

...but when I got to the end it would not install on the two partitions that could install windows...it said they were not available...

...I tried all the partitions...most could not install windows...

...it ended up just rebooting the computer gain...

roadczar

BAMF
This does not sound encouraging.

Try temporarily uninstalling Malwarebytes, disabling defender and try installation again.
If above does not work, you disk partitions may be fuckered by the virus or by something else. From this point it gets more involved, I would not risk trying to step you through the repartitioning process here. It will guarantee you will lose (dead laptop) everything on your laptop with the only option being reloading of OS.

Do you want to send it to me to try it? You may still wind up with a dead laptop.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I thought that what we were trying to do...reload windows...destroy all data...

...then I can try the old recovery drive...???...

roadczar

BAMF
...I thought that what we were trying to do...reload windows...destroy all data...

...then I can try the old recovery drive...???...
I meant once go through the partition step you laptop will be effectively dead without OS.

You can give it a go, worst that can happen your recovery drive will get infected as well.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I uninstalled Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and did everything over and it still can't create or detect a partition...something is obviously blocking it...

...I meant try the old recovery drive AFTER I wiped the slate...

...I thought that is what we were doing, resetting this computer to factory default setting...is that what "reloading OS" is...???...

...I think that's what we need now...???...

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Hapo, with all due respect, it sounds like you have just enough computer knowledge to be dangerous. Take that laptop to someone that knows what they are doing.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
20210408_125555.jpg

...here are the peripherals waiting for Amazon to recover them...

...I will be painting that poor old porch within days now that the weather is breaking here...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
Hapo, with all due respect, it sounds like you have just enough computer knowledge to be dangerous. Take that laptop to someone that knows what they are doing.
...there is no one to take it to...I am just trying to reformat at this point...

rumble phish

BAMF+
May I suggest a new route?

Replace the laptop's SSD with a new one and do a clean install of Win10. Basically start from scratch. Yes, you'll lose any data on the old drive, but at this point what's the difference? I would not trust the old infected drive anymore.

Top Bottom