...obsolete hardware...

roadczar

BAMF
You are not using sata, you are using Nvme m.2 so ignore that for now.
Usb is a separate issue.
Look for boot options in bios and select usb as first boot priority.
Try different usb ports.

Sometimes m 2 has to be configured in bios I'll check your manual later today.

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I tried every possible boot priority...I am thinking maybe I have bogus flash drive...

...my lap top does not recognize or acknowledge it...now I am trying to figger out how to follow the Rufus instructions...there are so many steps I can't follow it...

...I can see that I can download it right from Microsoft for $130 but even that is confusing...there does not seem to be a simple way to just get it onto a flash drive...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...FWIW this keyboard is nicer than anything in my limited experience and is solid as a brick...

...it would work well to smash the rest of the system with...

roadczar

BAMF
...I tried every possible boot priority...I am thinking maybe I have bogus flash drive...

...my lap top does not recognize or acknowledge it...now I am trying to figger out how to follow the Rufus instructions...there are so many steps I can't follow it...

...I can see that I can download it right from Microsoft for $130 but even that is confusing...there does not seem to be a simple way to just get it onto a flash drive...
Your flash drive should have windows activation code which you can use with downloaded version.

roadczar

BAMF
From your manual:

If you are using NVMe PCIe SSDs, go to BIOS > SETTINGS > Advanced > Integrated Peripherals > M2_x Pcie Storage Remapping and change setting to Enabled.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...this thread is totally Bronco now...LoL...

...I don't have a flash drive big enough for Windows that I am willing to format...I forgot got get one to make a boot drive for the new machine...

...I thought I was buying one...

...I have an activation code but no functional flash drive...I see why it was $20 off now...

...the M.2 drive is fine...it shows up as enabled...the computer runs but it won't boot off a corrupt flash drive...

...I still don't know why all the SATA are disabled and have not found any way to activate them yet...

...to add insult to injury it sounds like one of the bearings in the cooling fans on the over priced obsolete GPU that precipitated this build is going south...

...we are getting pretty close to Full Bronco here...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...methinks there is something wrong with it at the hardware level...

...my computer does not recognize it and it corrupts the display in the little Windows pop up control menu that would normally allow you to safely eject device...

...the Windows flash drive does not appear in the menu and the display flickers like there is a bad key pressed...

...as soon as the Windows flash drive is removed the menu display goes back to normal...

...the (laptop) computer recognizes and works normally with any other USB drive I have ...(2)...

...if nothing else 'phish will be pleased to hear I have quit drinking behind this latest tomfoolery...(drunken eBay bids)...it had seemed to be helping...(LoL)...

...I had considered trying the recovery boot drive for the Dell laptop but I don't know if that would be a good thing...

...but what's the worst that could happen...???...it won't boot...???...I probably have to reset the bios anyway...

...no matter what happens I have decided not to smash anything with the key board...

...I like the Key board...I'll use a proper hammer...

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

rumble phish

BAMF+
...methinks there is something wrong with it at the hardware level...

...my computer does not recognize it and it corrupts the display in the little Windows pop up control menu that would normally allow you to safely eject device...

...the Windows flash drive does not appear in the menu and the display flickers like there is a bad key pressed...

...as soon as the Windows flash drive is removed the menu display goes back to normal...

...the (laptop) computer recognizes and works normally with any other USB drive I have ...(2)...

...if nothing else 'phish will be pleased to hear I have quit drinking behind this latest tomfoolery...(drunken eBay bids)...it had seemed to be helping...(LoL)...

...I had considered trying the recovery boot drive for the Dell laptop but I don't know if that would be a good thing...

...but what's the worst that could happen...???...it won't boot...???...I probably have to reset the bios anyway...

...no matter what happens I have decided not to smash anything with the key board...

...I like the Key board...I'll use a proper hammer...

View attachment 61470
DO NOT SMASH ANYTHING!!! :lol:

Unfortunately, it's very likely that the USB drive you purchased was a scam that is chock full of viruses. I wouldn't plug it into ANY other computer, lest you risk infecting them.

PM your address and I will send you a proper USB drive with the Win10 iso on it, bootable and ready to install. I'll even ship it 2nd day priority with a tracking #.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...well, it is already too late for that...I tried to open it on my lap top...

...that is how I am sure the drive was no good...

...I have a product key...I called Microsoft but the guy wanted control of my PC to "check the usb ports" even though I told him there was nothing wrong with my computer and the usb ports worked normally...

rumble phish

BAMF+
...well, it is already too late for that...I tried to open it on my lap top...

...that is how I am sure the drive was no good...

...I have a product key...I called Microsoft but the guy wanted control of my PC to "check the usb ports" even though I told him there was nothing wrong with my computer and the usb ports worked normally...
Yeah, but you have no OS installed yet so he couldn't connect if he wanted to.

BTW, I recently had them connect and all was good. When you swap your motherboard you need to on a PC running Windows 10 you need to re-enter the product key. Since mine was digital, i had to connect with MS to take care of it. Easy p[easy. No muss, no fuss done in @ 10 minutes.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...uh...my laptop has an operating system on it...I have been operating it for years... (grin)

...I told the microsoft guy to forget it...I should have asked him to check the product key...

...now I am worried aboot the dithering effect the Microsoft drive had on the menu display...

...bitdefendender didn't pick up anything though...it's usually pretty good...running scan now FWIW...

rumble phish

BAMF+
...uh...my laptop has an operating system on it...I have been operating it for years... (grin)

...I told the microsoft guy to forget it...I should have asked him to check the product key...

...now I am worried aboot the dithering effect the Microsoft drive had on the menu display...

...bitdefendender didn't pick up anything though...it's usually pretty good...running scan now FWIW...
Ah, I assumed you were referring to your new build. :up:

Yeah, I'd call'em back and verify that product key.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I actually tried that and got asked a lot of questions again...I hung up...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...after my fourth attemt to deal with microsoft "support" I am aboot ready to start taking the computer apart and returning all the parts I can and just eating the restocking fees...

...if there was some alternative I would just use that...I don't want to support Microsoft...

...I can get my $$$ back from Amazon on the bogus OS...Microsoft has really put me off...

...I don't even want the computer at this point...it is exactly the can o' worms I feared it would be...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I am just disgusted now...you would think Microsoft would be more concerned aboot computes getting hacked on their front...

...in retrospect I deserve it for buying from third party...

...if I ship new computer to you you would just ship it back anyway...

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

roadczar

BAMF
I get the frustration, but actual issues are small.
Before tearing apart your build buy a $10 usb drive. Download OS and try out your activation code. Even if it doesn't work, you can still use windows without it for quite a while.

Why even bother with Microsoft support? Codes either work or they don't, you will find out.

Like rumble phish rumble phish said either one of us can create a drive and send it to you.

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I figger when I get that sorted the real troubles will begin...this has gooten to the point where it is distracting me from something important...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
Serious offer Hapo. Ship me the PC at your expense, I'll install the OS and ship it back to you on my dime.

Think it'll be cheaper than the restock fees you'll be stuck with.
...ok, tell me where to send it, but you have to promise not to send it back...

...should I pack stuff around the GPU...???...bubble packs or some such...???...

rumble phish

BAMF+
...ok, tell me where to send it, but you have to promise not to send it back...

...should I pack stuff around the GPU...???...bubble packs or some such...???...
Pack it in the box the case came in, using the Styrofoam inserts. Do not put anything inside the computer other than the hardware that is supposed to be there, but do make sure it is all screwed down snuggly. If you have some silica paks, throw them in the box. Tape the box very well. Include the manual and software that came with the motherboard.

I will PM you my address.

Stetson

BAMF+
...after my fourth attemt to deal with microsoft "support" I am aboot ready to start taking the computer apart and returning all the parts I can and just eating the restocking fees...

...if there was some alternative I would just use that...I don't want to support Microsoft...

...I can get my $$$ back from Amazon on the bogus OS...Microsoft has really put me off...

...I don't even want the computer at this point...it is exactly the can o' worms I feared it would be...
Your troubles demonstrate perfectly why I wanted to buy a turnkey computer instead of attempting to put one together myself. :frown2:

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...thanks for the (untimely) common sense advise...we wouldn't want to fuk up 'Phish's new box...

...of course I had it all packed up already...

...it has been seriously Monday today...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...it was just a bad idea in the first place...

...no comfort here...

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
You should have let your other personality Zippy flash the bios. He seems tech savvy as fuck

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
Sorry you had a shit time with it....but just be patient....it will be sorted soon.

You will be splashing bandits in no time👍

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
Is it done yet?
...it's gone already and this one may be infected with some shit behind trying to get that one booted...

...this is hampering the return of the peripheral equipment I bought for it...I don't want to enter any important passwords...

...I don't know what I was thinking but it was along the lines of getting comfortable and making the best of a situation...

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
...it's gone already and this one may be infected with some shit behind trying to get that one booted...

...this is hampering the return of the peripheral equipment I bought for it...I don't want to enter any important passwords...

...I don't know what I was thinking but it was along the lines of getting comfortable and making the best of a situation...
Is it giving you problems or are you ust concerned that it may?

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
..."just" concerned...I don't want some tracking bot uploading all my passwords...

Top Bottom