...obsolete hardware...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...it is an external GPU housing...you plug a weak ass computer and a kick ass monitor into it and have at it in modern games...

...it is not an SLI set up, the native GPU is disabled...this lets the host computer run a lot cooler, as well as enables modern desk top performance from a laptop, especially one with the right port...

...this particular obsolete box is pretty much proprietorial to certain Aleinware laptops...the newest GPU's don't fit in the box and tax the power supply...

...there are many other, better, boxes...

...I plan to put this in it...more obsolete hardware....the bleeding edge guys are selling them to get the latest hardware...

...there is a minor feeding frenzy going on as the new GPU's are coming in stock for the general public after an interminable delay...fukin miners are hogging them all...

Amazon.com: MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 TI GAMING X 11G: Computers & Accessories

...I got this monitor for it...it is not obsolete yet...

Samsung Odyssey G7 Review - RTINGS.com

The 7 Best Gaming Monitors - Winter 2021: Reviews - RTINGS.com

...the GTX1080Ti should run it...the version I have is faster that the one tested...there is no RTX software available, so...

UserBenchmark: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti vs RTX 2080

Last edited:
  • Barf
Reactions: Red
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...the 3080 is the sweet spot...$700 retail if you can find one...

rumble phish

BAMF+
The 1080Ti is a 6 year old card that can still keep pace. Although, it will loose it's luster fairly quickly once the GPU supply is stable again. But it's a strong card to be sure :up:

There are a lot of those external GPU boxes out there. Apple has had them for quite some time. The biggest issue is bottle necking. Running a GPU box like that with an older processor/memory set up will handicap the card's performance significantly.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Here's a great site that'll show you basic performance and bottleneck issues with different hardware combos.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I just want it to run IL2 at a decent setting on a 1440 monitor...

...IL2 is running ok but not great and I can't see shit...

...I should have just bought a desk top with a 3080ti in it...ended up spending enough...

...the bottle neck issue will not be signifigent with the computer I am using...

...I understand that the Alienware Graphics Amplifier (9R7XN) Dell Z01G001 Laptops External Graphic Box has signifigent limitations compared to some other devices but is very fast when hooked up to the right port on the specific laptops it was designed for...

"It’s designed with a single cord (6ft) that connects exclusively to the Alienware 13, 15, 17, m15, m17, and Area-51m notebooks, Alpha R2 and X51 R3."

...I had figgered an external box would be a huge bottleneck and though it was silly at first...then I looked at some benchmarks n' shit...

...IMHO, it is still silly, but not silly slo...LoL...

Last edited:
  • Red
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
The 1080Ti is a 6 year old card that can still keep pace. Although, it will loose it's luster fairly quickly once the GPU supply is stable again. But it's a strong card to be sure :up:

There are a lot of those external GPU boxes out there. Apple has had them for quite some time. The biggest issue is bottle necking. Running a GPU box like that with an older processor/memory set up will handicap the card's performance significantly.
...I just "discovered" them a few weeks ago...I see the good ones cost as much as a computer...then you need to ad a GPU of your choice...that can cost as much as a computer...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...should I cancel the 32" G7 and get it a 27" G7...???... 🤔

• WTF

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
I adore my Asus ROG Strix 1080ti. It kicks ass even now.

Stable as Hell. Super reliable.
Best graphics card I have had and I have no need nor intention of replacing it for anything newer for at least the next 2 years... :up:

rumble phish

BAMF+
The 1080Ti was quite possibly the best GPU released in the last 4 years. Only now, 4 years beyond its release date, are other GPU's finally catching up (which is unheard of in the realm of PC hardware). I agree that it will be more than viable for the next couple of years :up:

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I do not understand...???..wait for what...???...they are both available...I was thinking the 27" would be a better choice for my situation...

...for one the QHD resolution is just right for a 27" display...the pixel density with be greater...and the 32" will be just too large...the 27" will be a tight fit...

...the bitch is the 32" is on sale and the 27" isn't...they are normally $700 or $800 but there is a $100 discount on the 32" currently...I got a $9 discount on the 27" G7...:confused2:

...gamers are so pedestrian...LoL...this GPU costs more than two high end gaming computers would...

PNY Technologies RTX A6000 Graphics Card VCNRTXA6000-PB B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

Designed to handle professional workflows, the PNY Technologies RTX A6000 Graphics Card utilizes NVIDIA's Ampere architecture. This graphics card features 48GB of GDDR6 VRAM. The front panel of the card features four DisplayPort 1.4 outputs and can support up to four 5K displays natively. Computationally intensive programs can utilize the 10752 CUDA cores to accelerate tasks using CUDA or other APIs. The card features a blower style fan cooler.

Last edited:
  • Red
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
The 1800Ti was quite possibly the best GPU released in the last 4 years. Only now, 4 years beyond its release date, are other GPU's finally catching up (which is unheard of in the realm of PC hardware). I agree that it will be more than viable for the next couple of years :up:
...I won't be feeling too much buyers remorse here if the hardware is not burned out....but I should have just sent the lap top back and bought one of the many desktops currently available with RTX 30XX series GPU's for maybe less $$$...

rumble phish

BAMF+
...I do not understand...???..wait for what...???...they are both available...I was thinking the 27" would be a better choice for my situation...

...for one the QHD resolution is just right for a 27" display...the pixel density with be greater...and the 32" will be just too large...the 27" will be a tight fit...

...the bitch is the 32" is on sale and the 27" isn't...they are normally $700 or $800 but there is a $100 discount on the 32" currently...I got a $9 discount on the 27" G7...:confused2:

...gamers are so pedestrian...LoL...this GPU costs more than two high end gaming computers would...

PNY Technologies RTX A6000 Graphics Card VCNRTXA6000-PB B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

View attachment 59438

Designed to handle professional workflows, the PNY Technologies RTX A6000 Graphics Card utilizes NVIDIA's Ampere architecture. This graphics card features 48GB of GDDR6 VRAM. The front panel of the card features four DisplayPort 1.4 outputs and can support up to four 5K displays natively. Computationally intensive programs can utilize the 10752 CUDA cores to accelerate tasks using CUDA or other APIs. The card features a blower style fan cooler.
This card is not designed to run games. it would actually run them rather poorly, mostly due to the fact that the drivers are not optimized for GL's like Direct 3D or Vulcan. Also, I believe the memory architecture is completely different from "game" level GPU's.

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
NVM....thought the 32 was out of stock or some shit.....Fuck it...buy em both

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I just feel the value on that 32 bitch eh...

...for the same price wouldn't you pick the 32...???...so what if it's not as "good"...LoL...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
This card is not designed to run games. it would actually run them rather poorly, mostly due to the fact that the drivers are not optimized for GL's like Direct 3D or Vulcan. Also, I believe the memory architecture is completely different from "game" level GPU's.
...I undestand that...it's Architecture is all Quadro n shit...that was my point there...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...why do you think I don't want a 32" monitor...???...didn't just buy a desk top...???...

...was hoping to get by with this laptop but that was wishful thinking...it chokes on IL2...I had no eye deer...

...I would be in the tent right now if I could but I need to be indoors to keep an eye on shit...but I don't have any space to speak of in the house...

...no more than a domestic servant would normally have...all my shit fits in the Volvo...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...sticking with the Samson VA display but should I be considering a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor for flight sims...???...the ones I was looking at/buying are 16:1...

...I am thinking I do not need a refresh rate of 240htz for ILs on GTX 1080...I was thinking the wider aspect ratio would be worth stepping down to 165htz...

...I don't think I will ever see 240 fps in IL2...

...seeing as some people set up three monitors for flight sims it's seeming like an a good idea...

Last edited:

roadczar

BAMF
...sticking with the Samson VA display but should I be considering a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor for flight sims...???...the ones I was looking at/buying are 16:1...

...I am thinking I do not need a refresh rate of 240htz for ILs on GTX 1080...I was thinking the wider aspect ratio would be worth stepping down to 165htz...

...I don't think I will ever see 240 fps in IL2...

...seeing as some people set up three monitors for flight sims it's seeming like an a good idea...
I've been using 21:9 displays since they became available and will never go back. For sims refresh rate does not make too much difference, so unless you are also into fast action games even 60 hertz will be satisfactory and 100hz will be perfect. I do pretty well in COD and 144hz is more than enough for me.

Do yourself a favor keep your old monitor and get a VR headset for IL2, you will never go back, there is nothing better.

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
I've been using 21:9 displays since they became available and will never go back. For sims refresh rate does not make too much difference, so unless you are also into fast action games even 60 hertz will be satisfactory and 100hz will be perfect. I do pretty well in COD and 144hz is more than enough for me.

Do yourself a favor keep your old monitor and get a VR headset for IL2, you will never go back, there is nothing better.
That right there is some good advice. :up:

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...there is a lot I don't know aboot them...there are so many options...where is the sweet spot...!?!...

...on thing to consider is my sight...I wear tri focals...

roadczar

BAMF
...there is a lot I don't know aboot them...there are so many options...where is the sweet spot...!?!...

...on thing to consider is my sight...I wear tri focals...
Yeah, glasses can be a pain. I normally use readers and don't need them in VR. Many headsets can accommodate prescription lens inserts. My guess you'd only need a longer distance lenses since focal distance is to infinity. You'll have to try it out.

Best overall headset at the moment is Valve Index. Valve Index VR Kit on Steam

For sims exclusively I'd probably get HP G2 since it has better overall resolution and has inside out tracking (does not need lighthouses to track your movements), it's also cheaper.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...sent back all the shit in this thread to build something for the GTX1080ti in transit...

...maybe I will upgrade to the RTX 3090 when they are obsolete...currently they cost more than I have into the whole system...

...realistically I will keep an eye out for the RTX 3080...like 90% of the 3090's performance @ 50% of the $$$...

...if the GTX1080ti runs as well as is said I will be in no hurry...the thing was a drunken mistake but it may have turned out to be a good thing...

...the Alienware laptop was choking on IL2....I still do not know why I did not just send it back and bought that graphic amplifier bullshit...it's not like I was stuck with it...

...I won't be feeling too much buyers remorse here if the hardware is not burned out....but I should have just sent the lap top back and bought one of the many desktops currently available with RTX 30XX series GPU's for maybe less $$$...
...there are some systems around but they are not less $$$...they are aboot $4000...

...that link above is a scalper...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I got sensible here...for one thing I don't have room for much...

...I got interested in the VeiwSonic behind the native G Sync support but most users describe a satisfactory G Sync experience with this monitor....

ViewSonic Elite XG270QG vs Gigabyte M27Q Side-by-Side Comparison - RTINGS.com

LG 27GN850-B vs Gigabyte M27Q Side-by-Side Comparison - RTINGS.com

Samsung Odyssey G7 vs Gigabyte M27Q Side-by-Side Comparison - RTINGS.com

...I would have been likely to pick the Gigabyte M27Q even if it wasn't half the price of the others...

‎... they cut corners in stuff like ergonomic adjustments and not performance or image quality... even the build quality is ‎comparable if not equal to the others...

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
I still can't do without a dvd drive in my cases for some reason. I would like to build an old system to run xp on and keep a few of my older games alive...
...I am looking at DVD drives now...I feel like some old guy with cassettes taping LP's...

...check out this beast...!!!...

Pioneer BDR-212UBK 16x Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer with 4K UHD Blu-Ray & M-Disc BDR-212UBK (adorama.com)

EDIT:

...thing is, the case I selected does not have any bays for such a device...the front is all fans... :retard:

...that case is more modern than I had thought... :oldman1:

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
No need for any type of optical drive anymore. I still have a DVD burner in my son's system and a BD/DVD burner in mine. Haven't used either in years. Literally.

Waste of money and space.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...the metal working place I buy shit from sent me instructional DVD's....free...!!!...

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...this thing is fuking up my shit...

...it is supposed to replace this...it is complicating the installation because I do not know wft to do...this isn't covered in the instructions...!!!...LoL...

• Red
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...the issue I have is that the instructions/procedure calls for the cooler and other bits to be mounted prior to the instillation of the mother board...

...they are talking aboot the little heat sink/fan device that came with the CPU...

...I looks like I need to put the mother board in before I mount the radiator to the top panel or I won't be able to access the mounting screw holes...

...not to mention having the whole contraption attatched when trying to install the mother board, then the radiator...

...I am thinking I have to just not install the cooler until after the mother board is in place, and the radiator is mounted...but this is not standard procedure ...

...I don't see how else to proceed...and I still can't figger if the hose inlets are supposed to face the front or the back of the case, or does that even matter...???...

Last edited:

roadczar

BAMF
Not sure I follow what the issue is.

The order does not matter, whatever works based on fitting limitation or obstructions. Unless you have a huge case it usually takes couple trial fittings to get proper positioning.

Typically you need to mount the backplate prior to installing the MB, but many MBs have a large cutout to make things easier. In the picture above the radiator fans did not clear my RAM so I had to trim quite a bit of both radiator fans for clearance.

Top Bottom