Now I want an AR 15 ! Buy an AR for Whoopie !

rumble phish

BAMF+
Got my Dissipater parts from PSA in today :up:

Gotta say, the newer PSA stuff sure is prettier than their old stuff. Nice and clean :up: The A2 stock is still too gray. Need to figure out how to darken it up without painting it or making it all oily.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Tried it before, no go. Just ends up flaking off. Even the stuff "designed for plastic". The only stock I ever pained with a rattle can that actually turned out good (and durable) was the "faux granite" finish, and it took a bit of work. may try using the detailing stuff that's supposed to turn grayed out automotive trim black again. If push comes to shove, maybe some black shoe polish.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
S&W has upped their game...

That, and this FN, have my attention..

The FN would just need B5's stock and their Type 23 grip - less than $100.00.

Last edited:

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
What's with this flat trigger fad?

S.C.
For guns where the trigger rotates on a pivot pin, most designs with a curved trigger have it so the trigger actually "breaks" at a negative angle, say 75 - 80 degrees for this conversation. Most flat triggers are setup so the trigger breaks right at 90 degrees. This is advantageous for anyone with a larger hand and/or longer fingers. You're strong hand and trigger finger aren't as bunched up.

Trigger take-up and where it breaks, speaking as we are in degrees, assume they're setup identically. The flat or semi-flat trigger is just a bit further out for the pad on your finger to engage. That allows you to keep a bit more consistent grip on the gun since your index finger isn't as bound up. It's all about tactile feel, just like with switches on gun lights from Streamlight, Surefire, OLight and others.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
For guns where the trigger rotates on a pivot pin, most designs with a curved trigger have it so the trigger actually "breaks" at a negative angle, say 75 - 80 degrees for this conversation. Most flat triggers are setup so the trigger breaks right at 90 degrees. This is advantageous for anyone with a larger hand and/or longer fingers. You're strong hand and trigger finger aren't as bunched up.

Trigger take-up and where it breaks, speaking as we are in degrees, assume they're setup identically. The flat or semi-flat trigger is just a bit further out for the pad on your finger to engage. That allows you to keep a bit more consistent grip on the gun since your index finger isn't as bound up. It's all about tactile feel, just like with switches on gun lights from Streamlight, Surefire, OLight and others.
Well shit. Now I need to try one of these things, since I have massive fucking hands. I need a 2XL glove with XL fingers. A 3XL only works for fucking fat Harley riders and their fat, stubby cigar fingers.

And let's now see who I pissed off.

S.C.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well shit. Now I need to try one of these things, since I have massive fucking hands. I need a 2XL glove with XL fingers. A 3XL only works for fucking fat Harley riders and their fat, stubby cigar fingers.

And let's now see who I pissed off.

S.C.
You didn't piss me off. I'm in the same boat. Big hands, wide finger spread, and proportionate fingers (no sausage fingers here). Usually 2x gloves fit me perfectly, with a few still having fingers that are just slightly too short. If a glove's going to fail on me, it's usually the webbing between the the index and middle fingers.

rumble phish

BAMF+
S&W has upped their game...

View attachment 101985

View attachment 101986

That, and this FN, have my attention..

View attachment 101987

View attachment 101988

The FN would just need B5's stock and their Type 23 grip - less than $100.00.
And this Armalite is in the running, too..

View attachment 101990

View attachment 101991
If I was going to purchase one of those three rifles, it'd be the FN. Because it's an FN.

But truly, I couldn't see purchasing any of those for what they charge. I'm sure you could assemble something from PSA or several other sites for considerably less money that would perform just as well.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
If I was going to purchase one of those three rifles, it'd be the FN. Because it's an FN.

But truly, I couldn't see purchasing any of those for what they charge. I'm sure you could assemble something from PSA or several other sites for considerably less money that would perform just as well.
Not trying to stir shit up, but not a PSA fan, at all, based on what I've seen at the shop over the past 5 years.

Considering I can get anything I want at dealer cost, I'm sticking with established and proven manufacturers.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I'm up to three now...methinks that is enough to win the thread...:yahoo:

...two Areo uppers and one from PSA...two in 300 BLK and one 223/5.56 NATO...

...I decided to get a "pistol" after all...after some agonizing I chose 10" over 8"...

...of course, the "pistol" is in 300 BLK...the proper choice for an SBR...IMHO...

...I got it in FDE Cerakote...it was in stock and on sale...there was an actual 15% discount along with the "daily deal" price...

...made the price aboot the same as the anodized finish...this is the one most likely to be carried in the bush...

...I did buy a lower kit from PSA for it...went with a nitride bolt and a GI charging handle this tyme...

...I hope the colors match perfectly or I don't know what I'll do...:wacko3:

...the PSA shit saved enough money for 500 (more) rounds of good ammo and a little (more) dope... :razz:

Last edited:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
It doesn't have that thing to push the rounds into the chamber when they get stuck?

CZLoco

How important is it to use a torque wrench to tighten the castle nut for the lower?
Can I just use a regular old castle-nut wrench (that fits) and use elbow grease to tighten it down and then call it a day?
Maybe use some blue Loctite?

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
How important is it to use a torque wrench to tighten the castle nut for the lower?
Can I just use a regular old castle-nut wrench (that fits) and use elbow grease to tighten it down and then call it a day?
Maybe use some blue Loctite?
The purpose of a torque wrench is to keep you from over-tightening something.

So adding elbow Grease and loctite is not the right solution.

How much torque are they asking for?

10 pounds applied to the end of a one foot long wrench results in 10 lb/ft of torque to give you an idea of how much torque (by feel) to apply to a wrench.

CZLoco

About 40 ft.lbs. per Hapo's links.
I'm just talking about getting it tight, not trying to burst any blood vessels wrenching it down.
Like, 1/4 turn past resistance?

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
About 40 ft.lbs. per Hapo's links.
I'm just talking about getting it tight, not trying to burst any blood vessels wrenching it down.
Like, 1/4 turn past resistance?
Wrong, it is 40 in/lbs, not foot/lbs. Big difference. That equates to 3.3 ft/lbs.
They want it 40 +/- 2 in/lbs
I'd go buy a torque wrench.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...300 BO...that is practically a pistol cartridge anyway...I can take one that one to CT someday...but not a rifle...go figger...

...mine would not necessarily have those same accessories but the Areo upper and lower and Magpul stock would be the same...

...I eschewed the PSA uppers in .300 BO because they have a slower twist rate @ 1-8" vs 1-7"....

...I cancelled the 300BO carbine upper and bought more ammo...we'll have some spare parts...

...considering an optic now...

...I'll get FDE backup sights even if the color doesn't match...we should call it Hayabusa Brown...(not shit brown)....:wacko3:

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
...300 BO...that is practically a pistol cartridge anyway...I can take one that one to CT someday...but not a rifle...go figger...

...mine would not necessarily have those same accessories but the Areo upper and lower and Magpul stock would be the same...

...I eschewed the PSA uppers in .300 BO because they have a slower twist rate @ 1-8" vs 1-7"....

...I cancelled the 300BO carbine upper and bought more ammo...we'll have some spare parts...

...considering an optic now...

View attachment 102638View attachment 102639View attachment 102643

...I'll get FDE backup sights even if the color doesn't match...we should call it Hayabusa Brown...(not shit brown)....:wacko3:
If I may make a suggestion/give an opinion... steer clear of the plastic sights. There okay for range days, but not for practical use (hunting and what not)

Top Bottom