Now I want an AR 15 ! Buy an AR for Whoopie !

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...can you tell us what it says...???... :razz:

...I am trying to learn the ($93.09) difference between an M4 profile and a Pistol Caliber profile in a 16" 300 BO AR 15 barreled upper... :confused2:

Jacob Grey Custom .300 Blackout Complete Upper Assembly | Up to 19% Off 5 Star Rating w/ Free Shipping (opticsplanet.com)

Jacob Grey Custom Ultralight 300 BO Complete Upper Assembly | Up to 19% Off w/ Free Shipping (opticsplanet.com)

...can't find the answer per se in there but I am thinking Pistol Caliber profile is like a pencile barrel...???...

...might still just go with Wilson' and cut rifling SS 416 barrel...not anticipating any mag dumps...don't want chrome if this can be avoided...

...I mostly think of auto loaders as single shots you don't need to reload...

Last edited:

Rocco

BAMF
Buffers and buffer springs will influence reliability during cycle and they are not all created equal. Different weights and rates in some AR applications.

-

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...yeah that is a science I am ignorant of...I don't know if I have the right parts per se...

Rocco

BAMF
Been awhile since I built one and my info gets rusty fairly quick as I get older. Buffers are basically either the larger buffer for rifle or shorter for carbine, with weight differences in each. Match springs in both length and tension against travel distance. Several things can be fine tuned for reliability by changing tension ~ things like the matching the amount of gas flow driving the reversing direction.

-

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...

scottcolbath

BAMF+
FYI.... Palmetto State Armory apparently has refused to post my somewhat negative review in their feedback page.
I see now that another review that is newer than mine has been posted.

Between that and the fact that they simply refused to stop responding to my correspondence with them, I cannot recommend PSA to anyone and will not be buying from them in the future.
Did you share that review with us? I don't recall seeing it. What were the issues?

S.C.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...post the review here...!!!... :screama:

...I wonder if I can send all my stuff back...LoL... :confused2:

rumble phish

BAMF+
FYI.... Palmetto State Armory apparently has refused to post my somewhat negative review in their feedback page.
I see now that another review that is newer than mine has been posted.

Between that and the fact that they simply refused to stop responding to my correspondence with them, I cannot recommend PSA to anyone and will not be buying from them in the future.
Too many posts in this thread to go back and read about what issues you're having. Can you give a quick Cliff's Notes version?

I've probably purchased 4 rifle kits from PSA over the years. Only ever had an issue with the gas timing on one upper (1/7, Wylde 18"). Thought maybe it was because I was using the wrong size buffer. Tried several and could never get it to run properly (it would FTE every other round). Anyway, long story short, after a few emails back and forth with PSA they gave me an RMA number and refunded me 100%. It was probably the easiest return issue I ever dealt with from a manufacturer. The bummer was that it was an insanely accurate upper, shooting under 1/2 MOA consistently with 75 grain match ammo. Really wanted it to work 😕

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...well fuk me twice that is just what I ordered...LoL...

...I read in that link I posted that Kirk liked that the rifle length gas port on an 18" barrel does that kind of shit...supposed to be smooth shooting if it works...

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Lately, the shop's been receiving a lot of PSA stuff for transfers and some of the crazy combo deals they are buying seem too good to be true. A few have been bitten in the ass with stuff that just doesn't want to work correctly, and they've come to us to help diagnose the issues.

AR's have had the majority of the issues (the complete AK's seem to work fine). Some have been customers not assembling the lower correctly, or fucking up little springs and still trying to use them instead of replacing them (aka, these guys have zero mechanical/tool knowledge). But some kits have had "off" tolerances stacking up very poorly. Sometimes even the charging handle doesn't fit/slide smoothly in the upper receiver. Some chambers have been tight to the point extraction fails with good, standard brass cased ammo. Just dumb shit.

"Can I trade this in and buy one of your AR's?" That would be a "Thank you, NO..."

Last edited:
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...it's not like you didn't tell us this before (sort of)...they must be really cranking stuff out...

...the Wilson Combat rifle is looking better...LoL...

...I know some good rifles have come out of PSA and managed to survive training classes/courses where other cheap AR's did not...that was a selling point...

...good to know returns are easy...LoLoL... .!.:D.!.

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
...well fuk me twice that is just what I ordered...LoL...

...I read in that link I posted that Kirk liked that the rifle length gas port on an 18" barrel does that kind of shit...supposed to be smooth shooting if it works...
Don't sweat it. I have another Stag 18" 'DMR' (Designated Marksman Rifle). It, too, is very accurate and insanely smooth shooting. Turns out the PSA upper I sent back suffered from a gas issue. I learned a lot about gas issues in ARs from the article below.

AR-15 Gas System Issues – School of the American Rifle - (arbuildjunkie.com)

scottcolbath

BAMF+
...it's not like you didn't tell us this before (sort of)...they must be really cranking stuff out...

...the Wilson Combat rifle is looking better...LoL...
I don't think anyone needs to spend Wilson Combat money to get a good AR. You can spend $1,000 and get a Colt or Springfield and know it's a solid gun.

BTW, this pisses me off. I'd grab one in a second if it were $1,000. They are making money on the retro fanboys like myself. But I wouldn't put down $2,500 for that.

S.C.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
I don't think anyone needs to spend Wilson Combat money to get a good AR. You can spend $1,000 and get a Colt or Springfield and know it's a solid gun.

BTW, this pisses me off. I'd grab one in a second if it were $1,000. They are making money on the retro fanboys like myself. But I wouldn't put down $2,500 for that.

S.C.
...everyone would grab one in a second if they were $1000, eh... :wink2:

...ow aboot $1850...LoL... :confused2:

The Wilson Combat machined, hand polished, match grade stainless barrel is the core of these accurate and reliable upper units that will turn your lower into a custom AR rifle well equipped for hunting, duty or tactical competition.

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful

S.C.
I passed on that one too and I really wanted it, the nostalgia is strong with that but, went with the Ruger instead.
Pedestrian I know but, it's solid and functions properly with only one FTF issue that I place at my feet in loading magazine,
without smacking the back of the mag on my steel pot before slapping it into the well...

...I had forgotten my steel pot that day but, I wear it every time I go to the range now.

It's odd, I don't understand why people don't talk with me as much when I go there now though.

Rocco

BAMF
refused to post my somewhat negative review in their feedback page.

to stop responding to my correspondence with them
Having been screwed multiple times, I have developed a caution with Internet sales of gun parts. I now look for the sellers with a good word of mouth on gun talk sites and generally pass on others. The small sellers are sometimes the worst, only posting 5-star reviews of their choosing and sometimes with made-up reviews. Some of them don't even answer you to return defective parts. I have a parts box with new junk, ranging from useless charging handles to garbage lower parts kits that I'm stuck with. Fuckin bastards don't give a shit about you when you can't do much about it _ :fu:

-

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I'm just thinking of all the fun we can have reinventing the wheel here...

...this is mind wheel...there are many like it but this one is mind...

Last edited:

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I passed on that one too and I really wanted it, the nostalgia is strong with that but, went with the Ruger instead.
Pedestrian I know but, it's solid and functions properly with only one FTF issue that I place at my feet in loading magazine,
without smacking the back of the mag on my steel pot before slapping it into the well...

...I had forgotten my steel pot that day but, I wear it every time I go to the range now.

It's odd, I don't understand why people don't talk with me as much when I go there now though.
I have this guy I slapped together a few years ago. Original Colt upper on an Anderson lower. But I'd still like a completely original Colt AR. Maybe some day.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I have this guy I slapped together a few years ago. Original Colt upper on an Anderson lower. But I'd still like a completely original Colt AR. Maybe some day.

S.C.

I bet they'd start talking to me again at the range if I brought that out, along with my steel pot!

It's a very nice rendition and makes me kind of homesick.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I bet they'd start talking to me again at the range if I brought that out, along with my steel pot!

It's a very nice rendition and makes me kind of homesick.
I regret putting the laser etched flag on the lower. I may buy another plain black lower to keep it more authentic. When I bought the lower, I didn't have a direction I was going to go with the rifle. Then my buddy offered up an original A1 upper, so I grabbed it and the config was decided.

S.C.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I regret putting the laser etched flag on the lower. I may buy another plain black lower to keep it more authentic. When I bought the lower, I didn't have a direction I was going to go with the rifle. Then my buddy offered up an original A1 upper, so I grabbed it and the config was decided.

S.C.
A little Sharpie action could tone the flag work down a notch of two and make all the difference.

I don't mind the flag being on it but, it does distract from an otherwise very clean build, to me.

I still love it. 👍

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
So we've talked about optics a bit, and how LPVO's (Low Power Variable Optics) are currently a very desirable setup, even over the venerable 4x ACOG's. These scopes generally are 1-6x but some are made with 1-8x or even 10x magnification. Here's a decent video on LPVO's for beginners that I just found. Check it out..

CZLoco

Did you share that review with us? I don't recall seeing it. What were the issues?

S.C.
I wish I had thought to save the review.
Basically, they screwed up an issue I had with them.
It took me asking to speak with a Manager before they finally did the right thing.

Then, I ordered stuff from them.
I did not order a "Blem" but I received a Blem.
The rail was marked up and one of the pivot pins was a really off/weird color.
Like it had been left out in the sun for a thousand years.
This didn't really bother me too much and I never complained to them about it.

But then I had an issue where I had placed an order and then immediately cancelled so I could buy something nicer.
They only refunded part of my order.
Two weeks goes by and still no resolution, so I started emailing them.

SEVEN FUCKING EMAILS went unanswered.
But they eventually did complete the refund

But still. I emailed their regular customer service who stopped responding to me.
I complained about it on the PSA forum and a PSE employee suggested I use the web form.
Which I did ( you don't see it below) and that went unanswered as well.

Below is a copy/paste of my email thread. Six of the seven unanswered emails. :roll:
Nobody here has the time to read it but I'm putting it out there anyways.

Start from the bottom and read upward.

------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 3:32 PM
To: xxxxxx >
Subject: Fw: Thank you for your inquiry Ed [ ref:_00D1HNYw7._5005a29ArnZ:ref ]

<<me emailing an individual PSA rep who helped me on my original issue after I asked for a manager -- she never responded either>>

Hi Loribeth, I hope you are doing well.

My issues are 100% resolved right now.

I only need help with one thing.
Do you know why nobody has been responding to this email thread?
I mentioned it on the Palmetto user forum and someone said I might be doing the email wrong?

See below. Last response from Palmetto was " xxxxxx " at the very bottom.
No further responses were received?!?

Thank ya,
-Ed xxxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 10:22 AM
To: Customer Service <customer.service@palmettostatearmory.com>
Subject: Re: Thank you for your inquiry Ed [ ref:_00D1HNYw7._5005a29ArnZ:ref ]

Well, I checked my online card account see that you [finally] refunded the remainder of the balance.
I'm not impressed with Palmetto customer service.

I will not feel comfortable recommending Palmetto to friends.

Have a good day.

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 9:35 AM

Hello, is anybody reading my emails??
If you don't understand why you still owe me a $74.51 refund, then please ask for more information or forward this email to a Manager.

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 8:38 AM

Hello, do I need to request a Manager in order to get some resolution here?

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 10:44 AM

Please advise.

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: Thank you for your inquiry Ed [ ref:_ xxxxxx]

That does not address the fact that you charged me $74.51 and I am still waiting for the refund.

-Ed

From: Customer Service <customer.service@palmettostatearmory.com>
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 11:56 AM
To: xxxxxx
Subject: Thank you for your inquiry Ed [ ref:_ xxxxxx]

Hello Ed,

It looks like you tried to place an order over the weekend (memorial weekend) and it did not go through so there are notes on the account that states "CUSTOMER WAS VERY UNHAPPY BECAUSE HE TRIED TO PLACE ORDER OVER WEEKEND AND IT DID NOT WORK, BUNDLED- REFUNDED $10 PREV TO HONOR THAT." and along with the $10 credited you also received a discount code of 10% off your next order.

As far as this order XXXXXXXX that was placed on 06/02/2022 it does take up to 5 business days for processing. It is still pending for processing and hasn't been shipped yet.

Best Regards,

XXXX
Palmetto State Armory Customer Service
(803) 724-6950

<my original email to PSA was not included in their intial reply to me>

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...we still want your review...we can make sure it gets around, eh... :mrlucky:

rumble phish

BAMF+
...we still want your review...we can make sure it gets around, eh... :mrlucky:
Sounds like his review had more to do with his dissatisfaction with their lack of response/slow response time and not with anything about the performance of the products he purchased. I get his frustration, but I've learned to have more patience with online ordering, especially when it comes to returns, and especially in today's crazy business environments. I'm not saying he doesn't have reason to be perturbed, but maybe he could try to see the bigger picture. It was a $75 refund, not a $750 one.

BTW, I've also learned that online retailers really don't like it when you get your credit card company involved by disputing a charge. They seem to work pretty quickly to resolve those issues.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...they do have a lot of one star reviews behind that very sort of thing...

CZLoco

Oh, I also mentioned needing to oil the BCG before it would work 100%.
The gun issues were only one star off because they weren't a huge deal.
The customer service was another two stars off.
I left them a two star rating.

Would have been one-star but I took into consideration they're slammed with business.
And are staffing state-side customer service reps.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Oh, I also mentioned needing to oil the BCG before it would work 100%.
The gun issues were one star off because they weren't a big deal.
The customer service was another one or two stars off.
I left them 2 or 3 stars, I don't remember which.
Probably two.
I'd never fire any new gun without first pulling it apart, inspecting and hitting it with lube.

S.C.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Right, YOU wouldn't because you're not a new buyer and you know better.
But THEY tell you (me, the new buyer) that it's not necessary.
If you bought a car, and the salesman said you don't need a license or instruction to drive it, who's fault would it be if you had any sort of incident?

CZLoco

If you bought a car, and the salesman said you don't need a license or instruction to drive it, who's fault would it be if you had any sort of incident?
wtf :lol:

People pretty much understand you need a license to drive a car by the time they're like... six years old.

CZLoco

You miss the point entirely. Guns are dangerous to the uninformed. You knew that at like... six years old. Take some responsibility.
I did you dumbass, by asking questions and taking classes.
As it happens, I received the wrong answer to my questions from the people selling the product.

OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...oh, the irony...Thomas is being a dik again...WTF did CZ' do...?!?... :eek: :confused2: :lol:

Top Bottom