Now I wanna driveway camera. WIFI, what ya got.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Just a simple WIFI camera, no fucking hub system that need a talky box like Alexa or shit like that.

Just a camera... period.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Gonna give these a shot. Good reviews on Amazon. Can store 1080P video to an SD card or to the cloud, solar power means you can mount anywhere.

Don't know if it'll work with other cellular based services like Ring or SimpliSafe, but I just want video email alerts and the ability to view remotely. Since we have a Ring doorbell already, I'll probably go with the Ring security set up although I'm looking at Cove as well.

Amazon product

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Gonna give these a shot. Good reviews on Amazon. Can store 1080P video to an SD card or to the cloud, solar power means you can mount anywhere.

Don't know if it'll work with other cellular based services like Ring or SimpliSafe, but I just want video email alerts and the ability to view remotely. Since we have a Ring doorbell already, I'll probably go with the Ring security set up although I'm looking at Cove as well.

Amazon product

Oh poo.... (is there a fag emoji) I have a monitored alarm system. I guess I should get with them.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
alro is great, no wires either...all battery powered. although swapping out or recharging the batteries requires you to remove the camera and plug it in manually (once a month, or every other month depending on how often it records movement).

ring is probably the best out there, but requires paid subscription IIRC.

do you want it to record all the time? or just motion?

I use Samsung 1080p wifi camera around my house, only thing I need to do is to DIY my Netgear antenna system to get a greater range on my wifi signal.

I like my Samsung camera because I have a app that triggers or text or sends a alarm to my smart phone when ever someone gets too close to the house, car or back yard.

Samsung SmartCam HD SNH-E6411BN Full HD 1080p WiFi Camera Night V 4x Z SNH-E6411

Another thing you can do is get a couple of hunting trail cameras with memory and they are also good for surveillance use
Amazon product

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I wish I could get a dummy model...

Have it speak and rotate... I know I would run.
not only is it probably doable, but its probably marketable. Sure you're gonna get the local sheriff to visit, they'll be laying on thier stomach asking you if its clear...I think you need to get the robot voice over from the robocop movie. Motion detectors now days could do tracking, as soon as it detects something start spinning up the gun. A laser pointer for good measure, not one, three like the predator movies.

PLEASE PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON, YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY
YOU NOW HAVE 15 SECOND TO COMPLY

best scene in the movie

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
well, unfortunately no current motion sensing cameras are likely going to have a range of 150'

id say maybe 30-50' at most for actually detecting motion. most are in that range. might want to consider a hardwired one that will record all the time, and simply notify you when it detects motion. at least in this case if something happens outside its range or it misses something you can always go back to watch the full video.

rumble phish

BAMF+
There is a 150 foot blind spot from the street all the way up the second garage, so, no.
Driveway alarm goes off, you don't know if it's an animal or an asshole.
well, unfortunately no current motion sensing cameras are likely going to have a range of 150'

id say maybe 30-50' at most for actually detecting motion. most are in that range. might want to consider a hardwired one that will record all the time, and simply notify you when it detects motion. at least in this case if something happens outside its range or it misses something you can always go back to watch the full video.
A guy who reviewed the one I linked to on Amazon mounted one on a remote weather station. His review was very positive. Can't imagine your set up is much different. Set it up on a post or in tree along your driveway facing the area you want to view.

• Red
Reactions: Red

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
def like the idea of a solar charging unit! although mine are all under the eaves of the house to keep them out of the sun (glare) and out of the rain (although all are waterproof).

i think the max realistic range for the wifi signal is about 300'...and thats direct line of sight without going thru brick walls etc. Realistically 150' is probably pushing it to have a reliable signal. When I dont have a full strength connection between my camera and the base, I notice I miss some recordings.

now say you miss 10% of the alerts/recordings, chance still low that you miss a really important one...but still there. I actually wound up buying a second base station I could plug in much closer to the camera that faces the street/driveway to ensure it got a strong signal all the time. the arlo stuff shows up on craigslist enough to pick one up cheap.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Just bit the bullet on a SimpliSafe system. No contract, 60 days no-hassle return policy. Figured wtf. Think I'll still get a couple of those solar cameras through.

Website
www.bikeland.org
Any issues with Ring? We have the doorbell cam, but the delay is ridiculous sometimes. Damn near makes it useless for actual security.

Yes. Ring fucking SUCKS. I had the premium subscription. It records about 2 seconds AFTER shit has happened. Utterly useless. And you have to pay annually. Picture picture quality garbage.

Ring and their shitty service are the single main reason I own all these Amcrest cameras. Still have the 2 ring doorbells. They just sit there sucking shit. I have proper cameras installed above them know that record 24/7 and do it for free.

Fuck ring. It is just free surveillance for Amazon.

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I use Ubiquiti. No Internet required. Runs autonomously.

They used to use Linux for their first tier development code for the NVR, but they switched to Windows at some point. Other than that, the system works well. I run the Windows Server NVR under VMware and a 8 CPU, 16GB, Guest handles 12 cameras. They don't have the best algorithms for motion detection (false positives and missed motion), but lots of tweakable parameters can help minimize issues.

I don't want to fill Amazon's, Google's, or anyone else's coffers, with my home video. It's becoming harder and harder to find offline systems.

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
i really could care less if amazon/google/whatever wants to stare at my yard.
I do. I moved to a rural area so I don't have people snooping on my yard activities. None of their damn business. I'm sure not going to give Google analytical data for free that they turn around and make money from.

I also have security cameras inside near entry points.

Assumedly, you couldn't care less. :lol:

Top Bottom