Not a Barn Find...

scottcolbath

BAMF+
And the story so far.

View attachment 36374

The kids adore it. Lots of fun and a very relaxing drive with an average MPG of 47 miles per imperial gallon. And that was with a full roofbox fitted too.

Yeah, there's a few things to sort, stereo, window tinting etc. The new windscreen gets fitted on Thursday so that's another thing crossed off the list.

We'll get there... :up:
Christ, that's actually a fine looking setup. How much are you in to it for now?

S.C.

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
New windscreen fitted yesterday. One of the jobs I cannot do so I farmed it out to the professionals. 45 minutes later job done. I now feel like I am driving a decent car and not staring out through the window of a hobo's summer residence.

Feels better to drive too for some reason, maybe just psychological but the car doesn't seem to 'flex' as much. Obviously it didn't flex but that is the best way I can describe the difference...

Austin_F

BAMF+
I once bought a car that had a replaced windshield in it.

It had a 'warp' right in front of my eyes. I got used to it but I would never have accepted it if I was the one who paid for it.

Had one replaced on my tbird and it was perfect except the installer forgot to silicone one of the screws and the first time it rained I got a puddle in the passenger foot area.

They really didn't want to come back out, tried over the phone to blame it on anything else but I insisted. They came out and got pretty quiet when they saw the dry screw.

After that it was fine.

It had a 'warp' right in front of my eyes. I got used to it but I would never have accepted it if I was the one who paid for it.
That would drive me nuts.

Same thing but on the back glass on my SUV that Safelite replaced. Can't see it looking through it, but very obvious when it catches the sunlight.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
Dealership near me sells them with a lift kit and BFGs. Can get it on the Legacy sedan and the Outback, too.

Nice... the geigh, limp-wrist smiley from the old board didnt make the transition, no pun intended.

Z

BAMF+
New windscreen fitted yesterday. One of the jobs I cannot do so I farmed it out to the professionals. 45 minutes later job done. I now feel like I am driving a decent car and not staring out through the window of a hobo's summer residence.

View attachment 36726

View attachment 36727

View attachment 36728

View attachment 36729

View attachment 36730

View attachment 36731

Feels better to drive too for some reason, maybe just psychological but the car doesn't seem to 'flex' as much. Obviously it didn't flex but that is the best way I can describe the difference...
Why,,,, is one plate white,,, n' one yellow,??? :neutral:

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
What's wrong with the passenger door?
It's been twonked. All that side has but not badly I think. Headlight was broken and budged (see previous pages of thread), front bumper has been badly resprayed on that side, rear view mirror had been replaced with a lower spec non-auto folding version with no puddle light (now remedied). Rear wheel arch has had Dean Jones and his Flubber Monkeys stop by and meddle with, and the front door skin is slightly rippled which is what I think you are referring to. Nothing that I shall be doing anything about in the near future with the exception of the rear arch which pisses me off...

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
No, because that costs money...
Some welding rods to frame it out with and then bang on some sheet metal to get the right shapes,
stitch them together, a little paint and your happy save for the narrow streets you have to pass along the way.

The rims and tires can be purchased from the insurance you collect after some muppet sideswipes your custom fenders.
Fashion some replacement skins because you have done it previously, only you're quicker about it this time.

It doesn't hurt to dream a little, does it?

Hey for what you have invested looks pretty darn good. If I were in your situation with this vehicle the focus would be on making sure the reliability issues were/are addressed and looks like you are doing that. Nothing worse than having children in the car with it disabled especially if you are not in the best of areas.

You cannot just wait for help or get out of the car, slip inside the waistband your holstered weapon and walk to get help with the kids in tow.

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Some welding rods to frame it out with and then bang on some sheet metal to get the right shapes,
stitch them together, a little paint and your happy save for the narrow streets you have to pass along the way.

The rims and tires can be purchased from the insurance you collect after some muppet sideswipes your custom fenders.
Fashion some replacement skins because you have done it previously, only you're quicker about it this time.

It doesn't hurt to dream a little, does it?
Still with the money thing...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
As I suspected I would, I had some issues with the electrics on the tow hitch. When connected to the van it knocked the brake lights off the car (excluding hi level light) and the caravan had no brake lights, not good.

I had bought some time ago, a second hand Volvo plug and play kit (made by Brink) from an S60 that goes straight onto the dedicated connector on the rear electronic module. A quick test on an old tail board I had in the garage showed it worked perfectly so all I had to do was chop out the horror-story electrics the previous owner had fitted and run the new one up from the tow hitch to the panel.

When all was done I had removed about 15 ft of electronic fuckuppery from the back of the car. I figured while I was there in would take out his fucking bullshit wiring for his reversing camera and rear parking sensors as well. Neither worked anyway.

So now the mess is tidied up and I feel a lot more confident about the car not doing an Apollo 13 while I'm towing the caravan.

I tested it on the van and it works perfectly but did show a reversing light bulb on the caravan had blown.

Happy days...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
I like the wagon but there is no way it's getting 30+ MPG.
The first mpg readings that are accurate are in, courtesy of the Fuelio app. Lower than I initially anticipated as they were dropped by the roof box and the caravan towing but still not bad. I'm looking to improve on them though. Time will tell...

tinhead

Has never named a pet
What the hell is an M, or a G?
How many liters does it take to go 100km, that's the number.
You could express it in some real medieval units such as flagons per hundred thousand cubits.

Top Bottom