Not a Barn Find...

BilletMan

BAMF+
Tim, apparently you're lacking some knowledge, perhaps like the tuners...

Go on, tell me more about how diesel and gas cars that are "so fucking lean it's pathetic"! You're not versed in the nature of diesel combustion. Further, you're lacking in petrol engines, too...
Evan. You know better. A good true professional tuner will get better power just by getting a proper air/fuel Ratio. And a true pro will do it so that the longevity doesn’t change.
Fuckin emissions laws make diesels and gas cars run so fucking lean it’s pathetic.

Last edited:

BarryW

BAM
Evan. You know better. A good true professional tuner will get better power just by getting a proper air/fuel Ratio. And a true pro will do it so that the longevity doesn’t change.
Be careful to distinguish between gas and diesel engines here, air/fuel ratio is pretty exclusive to SI engines as a relevant tuning parameter. I've worked with the very top diesel tuners on some crazy Special Ops stuff, and I'll stand by my comments regarding their knowledge of impact on cylinder pressure and long term durability. Increasing power from a diesel is almost mindless in its simplicity, but it's always at the expense of durability based on the cylinder pressure increase. The "true pros" may provide a market-acceptable level of improvement for a market-acceptable level of durability sacrifice, but they aren't in the same league as the OEMs, who must push things into a sweet spot of power, emissions compliance and durability that is not possible outside of billion dollar R&D budgets.

BilletMan

BAMF+
BarryW is a reasonable motherfucker....unlike Tim, he understands how this stuff works. It's way complicated when you really start digging deeper....:up::up::up:

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Hey Evan. How fast did your Vw buggy run stock. Because the engineers know everything and have it all dialed in right. So there wouldn’t be any reason to alter it. Fuckin hypocrite

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Yes. Vehicles have to pass US emissions and are tuned Lean from the factory. Just like Motorcycles are. A469972B-0133-4430-90E0-BDE5500909CD.jpeg120C913A-A82E-436B-A49E-6900C916D95E.jpeg6909981E-8B79-4611-B0CF-1B3FE06D7745.jpegAnd before you go talking about how I know nothing. I figured I would post a couple pics of the Truck I crewed on. 9.8/140 at 6250lbs

BilletMan

BAMF+
Huh? Why would I do that? Look, I provided my input and you corrected me. It's gone downhill from there. Fuck off, I ain't sparring with you in internal combustion engines, it's really unfair...you started this shit...you don't know what you're talking about. Period. You expect me to believe that diesel engines REALLY are tuned lean from the factory?? Good grief...
:D :D :D

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Precedence, is that like hydroforming, forging or stamping?

These new techniques of forming metal sure are happening quickly.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Hmmm. So what happened with VW and their diesels Evan? Seems to me they were adjusting the tuning on them so they would pass emissions. But from what you say it can’t be done. As for why you would pm me. Well you have in the past.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Hmmm. So what happened with VW and their diesels Evan? Seems to me they were adjusting the tuning on them so they would pass emissions. But from what you say it can’t be done. As for why you would pm me and whine. Well you have in the past.

BilletMan

BAMF+
What the fuck are you going on about? And VW relates to me, HOW?? I've sent you PM's whining? I have ZERO recall of this....you have my permission to post up any and all of the PM's I've sent you....go for it...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Thread legs sprouting in 4, 3, 2, 1...
Yes I was happy in my own little world, documenting work on my Volvo here and chatting with the very few who were interested about it and all of a sudden LABusas happens and there's a fucking argument kicks off about who knows what about diesel engines.

Conclusive proof, if any was needed, that if you put 1000 monkeys in a room with 1000 typewriters sooner or later they would all learn to type coherently, slag each other off on paper and then beat each other to death with the fucking typewriters...😡

BilletMan

BAMF+
Monkeys with typewriters? Damn, did you dream this? In summary, Volvo designed, developed, and sold you a fine car. My opinion has you enjoying the car mostly as they've delivered it....keep up the great work! If you lived right around the corner, I'd work to persuade to work on my projects...:up::up:

Z

BAMF+
Soooo,,, did ya get rid a,, :confused2:

da,,, pregnant roller skate ??? :lol:

Errrr,,,,,,,,,, do ya still,,,,, own,,, :wink2:

one,,, n' a half,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cars? :ducmanic:

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Well, another update. After claybarring the shit out of her this evening (a euphemism if ever there was one, "Hey, you seen Hagrid?" "Yeah, he's down at the Blue Oyster Bar claybarring the god-living shit out of Schiavo.") I went to move her on the drive. No problem. Started and moved fine. I switch off and go to lock up and nothing. Remote fob not working at all. Key in the door and no central locking working either. No alarm turn signal flash. Jump in and start her up. Sometimes she is a little funny and I thought it was the fob getting 'out of synch' with the car. It always seems to settle itself down but tonight, nope. Now I know the fob is 'talking' to the car because when I hit the open button the cabin lights light up and when I hit lock the lights dim to off. But no door locking. Try the locking button from the driver's seat. Nothing. Electric windows for driver and front passenger work from the driver's seat but not for the back ones. Try the back switches for the windows. Nothing. No rear wash wipe either.

I lock all the doors manually (but I can't lock the boot) and leave it for tomorrow. And I was having such a great day too.

Ah well. Looks like tomorrow is a 'fuses and broken wires check' day. And I have found THREE separate fuse boxes on this bitch to date...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Three steps forward and two back are par for the course you're playing.

I'm certain you'll get it sussed and back in working order soon.

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Indeed I shall old friend. It'll be tedious no doubt. But I will also learn just a little more about the car. I had a SAAB in 2005-2008 (fucking god-awful unreliable piece of shit but rapid) and it chewed through the wires from the body into the trunk-lid where the reverse, fog and licence plate lights were. Common fault it turns out, the wiring harness was just a tad too short and they would break inside the plastic wiring trunking. I had to delve in there and splice in new wiring. I am thinking that perhaps this is something similar.

But maybe it isn't...

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Indeed I shall old friend. It'll be tedious no doubt. But I will also learn just a little more about the car. I had a SAAB in 2005-2008 (fucking god-awful unreliable piece of shit but rapid) and it chewed through the wires from the body into the trunk-lid where the reverse, fog and licence plate lights were. Common fault it turns out, the wiring harness was just a tad too short and they would break inside the plastic wiring trunking. I had to delve in there and splice in new wiring. I am thinking that perhaps this is something similar.
Some years of the Opel Astra had the same problem ...too short of a set of wires turn brittle, then break and relegate the rear window motors and locks to uselessness. What in the world is going on over there?

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Well today I had a crack at the CEM. Which meant climbing into rather compromising positions in the driver foot well and also pulling off the windscreen wiper mechanism to get at and undo the top bolts of the CEM mount.

Upon unearthing the CEM it was apparent 'wrench ape' had been there before me. The casing cracked in two places where it had been forced open and a wood screw holding the CEM into its housing.

Apart from a blown 10amp fuse do the two cabin cigarette lighters nothing else seemed amiss. No burned tracks or scorched electronic components. No corrosion of the pins or connectors. Bugger!

All back together. Car still doing its same 'fuck you for saving me from the scrap yard' party trick.

Yeah I can wait. I got time you hot Swedish fucker...

Last edited:
OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Today was an 'engine mounts' day. Very simple to change all of the ones that needed changing.

Tomorrow was going to be 'new double din touch screen stereo' but the rat's nest of wires in the dash is all a bit beyond me at the moment. So tomorrow can be be 'fit eggcrate grille' day instead.

The car seems smoother now on tickover...

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
At least the new mounts will never rust. And I see the frog-eaters cast one of the new mounts.

Austin_F

BAMF+
new double din touch screen stereo
make sure you google that for that car first.

You might find the stereo in the dash is nothing but a remote control for the guts, somewhere under a seat or in the back. Makes replacing a sound system quite a bit more difficult.

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
I did not... it's a tad overexposed there but I see it now. It's common to have shallow imperfections in castings, especially aluminum. No worries.
A good few parts like this have 'Volvo' and the Volvo part number ground off as they aren't allowed to sell them as the Volvo branded product outside of dealer network. It's reasonably common if you buy the better quality parts here from the known brands...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
make sure you google that for that car first.

You might find the stereo in the dash is nothing but a remote control for the guts, somewhere under a seat or in the back. Makes replacing a sound system quite a bit more difficult.
Waaaaaay ahead of ya! The amp is under the driver's seat. Further examination of my cheap shitty Chinese double din is a disappointment regarding its fit. It fell through the hole in the dashboard! I am going to have to make an insert for the dash panel so this damn thing can sit in it properly. Or alternatively wait until I have the money (never with this lockdown bullshit) and get a decent quality make...

BigGar

high on placebo
I just bought a new head unit for my 2004 Chevy pickup today. Ordered it from Crutchfield. You'll pay a little bit more than what you find on Amazon, but Crutchfield customer support is so fucking awesome that I just can't bring myself to go anywhere else. These head units have to interface with a lot of shit on cars nowdays, and these guys are good at making sure the shit you buy is going to work on the car you're putting it in. They have wiring kits, adapters, modules, and most anything else you might need so it's as seamless as can be, and they know how to walk you through it with really great instructions for the exact car you're putting it in. I'm not sure if they ship to you lot over there, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better outfit to buy from. www.crutchfield.com

Austin_F

BAMF+
my brother bought a cheap Kenwood double din touch screen for his burb thinking he would upgrade to something nicer later.

its worked so well hes given up the upgrade plans, very happy with it.

however i dont know if its cheap because its made in china now or what....

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
The annoying electrical fault persists. There is a clicking relay in the boot somewhere near the rear fusebox and I am sure that was responsible for the parasitic battery drain. Anyway new battery in now. New horns on too and they are as loud a fuck.
Polishing gear has arrived apart from one pad.
Just waiting for the local refuse centre to open so I can get rid of the old boot lid and bonnet. I need them out of the back of 'ma whip'...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Still to do:
Check rear suspension system for wear.
Sort the fucking annoying electrical fault/faults.
Replace both tie rods (found slight play in right hand side TR)
Scrape off old tint from quarter light and replace as well as tinting both rear doors and other quarterlight. (Leaving the boot one 'cause it's fine).
Drop-kick a hen.
Fit cheap Chinese shitty touch screen double din unit.
Machine polish paintwork.
Get windscreen replaced.
Source battery cover.
Revisit dodgy repair work to rear wheel arch and see if I can improve what the fucking 'flubber-monkey' did...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
And the story so far.

I dislike the look of the original chrome 'prison bars' grill and the egg-box grill from the S60 does not fit. As a compromise, I resprayed the centre sections of the grill satin black and left the chrome surround. I think it looks very good and I am very pleased with the result as it looks on the car. It was a quick 'lash job' and no doubt it will need doing again better when the paint starts to peel off but for the moment it has satisfied me regarding the look I was aiming for.

Replacement battery in and battery tray cleaned. Battery locking shoe cleaned and painted. The annoying parasitic electrical fault that was sending a relay, hidden somewhere in the rear of the car nuts when the keys were in or out of the ignition, has now been sorted. Turns out to be another wiring hack, where one of the 7 previous owners had left a live wire adrift they had joined into the harness, rattling around in the spare wheel well, where it was earthing out. FFS! I sorted that and instantly, no more solenoid noises and central locking working perfectly now.

The boot mat I had for it was fitted to stop the two idiot mongrels from fucking up their new playground and the genuine Volvo fold-down roof-mounted dog guard was fitted. It works well and is unobtrusive when in the 'Up' position, easy to see about the back when down (except when there is a fucking pencil-headed greyhound blocking the view).

Both tie-rods replaced two days ago. they cost me just under £20 from ebay. It took me 30 mins for the first and 20 for the second. An easy job. Then a drive to see how she, well, drove. Absolutely shocking. The steering would go from heavy in the centre and then when force was put in to turn it would resist and then go light. The car suspension crashed over every bump and the ride was horrific. I put this down to the alignment being out and I was to be proved right.

Booked in yesterday morning for laser alignment for all 4 wheels (£30) and once done it was a different car. With the wheels pointing where they should, steering was balanced and the crashing suspension had disappeared on all but the hardest bumps. The suspension is tired and will need replacing but this was a vast improvement over how the car was. At least the car is going where I point it and not just doing an approximation based on my steering input. The chaps at the garage said the tracking was so far out they nearly ran out of adjustment on the tie-rods. I will have it done again when I fit new suspension, of course.

Then yesterday as a birthday treat to me and the kids, we went on a 100 mile drive to road test the car. Everything was good. No issues reported on Volvo Vida when I connected it up after the run.

The kids adore it. Lots of fun and a very relaxing drive with an average MPG of 47 miles per imperial gallon. And that was with a full roofbox fitted too.

Yeah, there's a few things to sort, stereo, window tinting etc. The new windscreen gets fitted on Thursday so that's another thing crossed off the list.

We'll get there... :up:

Last edited:
Top Bottom