Not a Barn Find...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Pads are down on the front. Discs have a big old lip on them so new discs and pads for the front I guess.

Too much vibration in the cabin on tickover points to a knackered lower engine mount.
Yup, it's fucked.
Fortunately it is soaked in power steering fluid so it shouldn't be hard to remove. No bolts should be seized!

You can see the rubber block has dropped into the chassis arm.

I need to replace the front lower mount too. I can see daylight through what should be a solid rubber mount. They're cheap enough.

I cleaned the undertray while it was off. It was thick with old oil and road filth. I'll take it off after running the car for a hundred or so miles and check for fresh residue...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Why are most of your engine mounts destroyed?
Just age I guess. Its a 15 year old car with 172000 miles on it. The natural rubber doesn't last forever and these all look like the original Volvo items. They are all Volvo part numbered and logo'd. I could replace with polybush but I don't want the harshness that comes with those so I'll just go for stock rubber. The aftermarket mounts have a 2 year warranty so I'll be happy if they outlive their warranty by a month. They are all a piece of piss to change...

BilletMan

BAMF+
I sense that hagrid might treat Lucky with respect one of these days....his comments aren't a full-on slam of Lucky's laborious toils.... :fu: :up::up:

BilletMan

BAMF+
Your diesel engine has way higher ICAV values than wimpy, low-pressure petrols engines....so assuredly, the diesel engine is way harder on all of the mounts, exacerbated at tick-over to be certain....

BilletMan

BAMF+
ICAV is instantaneous crankshaft angular velocity....picture a single cylinder engine. With little flywheel mass, the crankshaft will slow down (decellerate) on the compression stroke. After combustion occurs, the cylinder's pressure increases dramatically. This now accelerates the piston/crankshaft swiftly. So the rotational velocity (rpm) varies a good deal for a small single cylinder engine. Added cylinders dampen this effect. This is why you have "cush drive" in your rear sprocket hubs....

A diesel engine has rather high comression ratio. This results in higher ratios of compression and expansion. The pressures of these processes are a good deal higher than the petro counterpart....torsionally, this is harsh...as the engine compresses then fires, it imparts cyclicle torsional impulses the engine structure due to the ICAV...the diesel combustion sees much higher ICAV...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
I was thinking of getting it remapped. They respond very well to remapping. The thing that is stopping me is the damned chocolate auto box. Apparently Volvo limited torque going through it in the first few gears on the stock map so I don't have much faith for it holding together on a remap...

BigGar

high on placebo
Looking snappy indeed Lucky. Very handsome. Are wagons still called a shooting brake over there or does that only apply when they're over $100,000?

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Now it's slow, ugly, and has a box on the roof.

I'd take Hapo's any day, that car has character. Yours has had the soul ripped out of it.

Stetson

BAMF
Did the roof top box cost more than the car?

I was looking at a Thule one, and was quite surprised at the costs. :eek:

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
Did the roof top box cost more than the car?

I was looking at a Thule one, and was quite surprised at the costs. :eek:
Yes, it did. The roof box I bought a few years ago second hand for £120. The roofbar system I had to buy to fit it to my i10 cost about £150. the roof bar system for this is an 'aerobar type but isn't a Thule. Wasn't Thule price either...

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
nice... but the mileage will now take a hit... tit for tat... if you need the extra space...

looks great!
This isn't so important being as it is a diesel. I don't believe you chaps got the V70 diesel in the USA. It is pretty good on the old 'stink oil'. Easy high 50's on open highways and mid 40's around town (these are UK gallons btw). Hagrid's suppository will knock a little off but not so much as I am worried...

BarryW

BAM
I was thinking of getting it remapped. They respond very well to remapping. The thing that is stopping me is the damned chocolate auto box. Apparently Volvo limited torque going through it in the first few gears on the stock map so I don't have much faith for it holding together on a remap...
I'd advise against it if you want maximum durability out of it. The problem with remapped diesels is that even the best tuners almost never develop them with cylinder pressure data available, and therefore have no idea of the additional structural loads they're placing on the engine. Unlike a spark-ignited engine, you can "turn the screw up" on any diesel engine with improving performance right up to the point of catastrophic structural failure. SI engines don't allow the same type of abandon as they are self-limited by knock. Since diesels rely on "knock" as the fundamental ignition source, there is no such performance limit on cylinder pressure. Anyhow, lots of words to say "don't fuck with it" if you want it to last forever.

OP

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
I'd advise against it if you want maximum durability out of it. The problem with remapped diesels is that even the best tuners almost never develop them with cylinder pressure data available, and therefore have no idea of the additional structural loads they're placing on the engine. Unlike a spark-ignited engine, you can "turn the screw up" on any diesel engine with improving performance right up to the point of catastrophic structural failure. SI engines don't allow the same type of abandon as they are self-limited by knock. Since diesels rely on "knock" as the fundamental ignition source, there is no such performance limit on cylinder pressure. Anyhow, lots of words to say "don't fuck with it" if you want it to last forever.
Yeah, I think I had talked myself out of it before you posted but after reading what you wrote I'm damned if I am going to do it now!

BilletMan

BAMF+
I've had friends buy new trucks and say, "I'm gonna put a tuner on it".....I lecture them that the OEM has spent a billion fucking dollars developing the engine. They know every possible detail of the engine. Conversely, some hick tuner thinks he knows more than the manufacturer and throws shit out there with nearly zero knowledge how this shit really works.....my advice is, "just drive the damn thing"....

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Evan. You know better. A good true professional tuner will get better power just by getting a proper air/fuel Ratio. And a true pro will do it so that the longevity doesn’t change.

Top Bottom