Next project covert my generator to run on Natural gas-propane

Got my next project going, need to covert my new inverter generator to run on natural gas or propane. I'm going to run it for about 5 hours straight to break in the motor. I'm ordering the conversion kit online. I want to be prepared for when we have a emergency or lose power around our neighborhood. Don't want my food in my refrigerator to spoil.

Thanks to this youtube video I'm doing this

OP
Cisco San Jose
Also if I have time I was thinking of building one of these, but I need a spot welder first.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
propane typically produces less power all things being equal unless the engine is reconfigured i.e. higher compression. As I recall there's like a 20% drop in output.

would that not affect the generators ability to run at the proper operating rpm if its got a full load on it?

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Yeah, I wouldn't bother converting. But that's because I have 1000 other projects that are more important.

You do lose power. You have limited options for refilling propane over gasoline. Even if you have LP plumbed to your trailer, it's still a PITA to manage. About the only advantage of LP is if you have super extended outages (seems unlikely), and your gas line doesn't get disrupted in whatever caused the power outage, you can run indefinitely.

The solar "generator" would be a more fruitful project.

OP
Cisco San Jose
Yeah, I wouldn't bother converting. But that's because I have 1000 other projects that are more important.

You do lose power. You have limited options for refilling propane over gasoline. Even if you have LP plumbed to your trailer, it's still a PITA to manage. About the only advantage of LP is if you have super extended outages (seems unlikely), and your gas line doesn't get disrupted in whatever caused the power outage, you can run indefinitely.

The solar "generator" would be a more fruitful project.
Solar generator needs sun light unless you get the new solar panels that work even on a cloudy day

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Solar generator needs sun light unless you get the new solar panels that work even on a cloudy day
Admittedly, I didn't watch the video, but I assume it is a battery pack. Charge it and/or use it during the day and run from batteries at night. Any decent fridge will stay safely cold inside for 4 hours if you don't open it.

FORGET Nat Gas. About 60% less energy content than Propane but if your house has a gas stub out outside it would be easier than keeping propane bottles. Already pointed out about energy loss over gasoline above.

busa10

BAMF
That generator is a good one and a good deal as well, especially if you get it on sale.
As far as running on LP, that's pretty nice if you're setting it up for an RV.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Running the natural gas or propane means you need to change the oil twice as often beside the 20% power loss.

The volatile components of the oil cook off as it runs and the oil loses it's ability to flow as well and if left long enough, will turn into pudding.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
That generator is a good one and a good deal as well, especially if you get it on sale.
As far as running on LP, that's pretty nice if you're setting it up for an RV.
um huh...just like HF 6 ton jackstands are a good deal. You know the saying about cheap goods and what not. I would take 2 2200 Honders for $1900 over that garbage.

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I've actually heard good things about the Predator generators.

Harbor Freight gets it right sometimes... Badland Winches are one. Highly rated for the $$$.

Using a large propane tank or a permanent supply of natural gas means:

1) When you need your generator, you know it won't have a thoroughly fucked carburetor full of old shitty gasoline, plugged jets, etc. and you won't be rebuilding the carburetor in the cold and dark.
2) The fuel supply is as close to endless as it can be. No waking up at 3 am to re-fuel. If you have an earthquake that takes out your power and your natural gas, there's a good chance that keeping your Netflix running is the least of your worries.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
i always unhook the fuel line and let the carb run dry on any small engine before its going into storage etc.... tends to eliminate that whole gumming up the works issues for the most part!

and yea, the predator gens are essentially honda clones...they are outstanding for the money. I bought mom a 2kw one to run her fridge for power outages...whisper quiet and sips gas.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I've actually heard good things about the Predator generators.
Harbor Freight gets it right sometimes... Badland Winches are one. Highly rated for the $$$.
Id forgive someone racing on shoestring or trying to break into trackdays... but when money is no object??? Busted out EUs sell for $300-400. Half decent condition ones fetch $700ish.
Dont believe me?? Put an EU on craigslist and see how many inquiries you get...lol.
Been thru enough camping & no power situations that Id rather pay more for Honda or Yamaha than less for chinky knock off.
For awhile Kipor was a decent substitute but once parts dried up...
And the Hondas are easy to modify for tri gas... if you wanted to be cool. The ONLY problem I ever had with my honda was from a stupid gas station selling regular as "eth free". It still ran just surged and thankfully my unit was under a recall anyways... so the shop put another carb on it at no cost. And the best part of the EUs... you can parallel the fuck out of them as well as remote fuel. Let me know how the "imitator"... I mean predator does with that...lol

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
i always unhook the fuel line and let the carb run dry on any small engine before its going into storage etc.... tends to eliminate that whole gumming up the works issues for the most part!
and yea, the predator gens are essentially honda clones...they are outstanding for the money. I bought mom a 2kw one to run her fridge for power outages...whisper quiet and sips gas.
tis where the Honder shines... you can shut the gas off if you seperate the petcock switch and run them dry. No draining needed.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I'm looking for a Hells Kitchen "it just fell off da truck" deal.
Well when Oct Biketoberfest rolls around for the running of the 200... get you a $60 hot pit pass and go shopping!! :D
Thats too much power for an old Grump to have! 7000 watts?? Who do you think you are??

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned

BilletMan

BAMF+
YOU would get really excited about the carb mod I performed on my EU's....different fuels can get you a surge....I modded the tamper-proof carb with a righteous modification....I can adjust the A/F ratio of my EU-2000's..... :fu: :fu: :D:D
The ONLY problem I ever had with my honda was from a stupid gas station selling regular as "eth free". It still ran just surged and thankfully my unit was under a recall anyways... so the shop put another carb on it at no cost. And the best part of the EUs... you can parallel the fuck out of them as well as remote fuel. Let me know how the "imitator"... I mean predator does with that...lol

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
YOU would get really excited about the carb mod I performed on my EU's....different fuels can get you a surge....I modded the tamper-proof carb with a righteous modification....I can adjust the A/F ratio of my EU-2000's..... :fu: :fu: :D:D
thats 2 secret modifications you never shared!! I only use eth free from a trusted retailer. Im at sea level so not much adj is necessary

rotts4u

BAMF
I have a Generac GP15000 that I converted to natural gas because I have a line running to my house. It just saved me 4 days of not having power after the April 11 2020 tornados that hit about a mile from me. I rolled out the manly Genny, plugged it in and ran pretty much anything I wanted in the house. Hot Water, microwave, 3 fridges, TVs,but I only had OTA TV as cables were all snapped around me, no fiber optics, no wire cable no internet and no cell phones because the cell towers near me were also damaged and down for about a week. I had ham radio only at home for a week and AM-FM radio and OTA TV. For sure get a decent sized generator. Mine is 998cc and originally made 30 or 32 HP its less on Natural gas but I dont know how much.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I have a Generac I drag to the track with me. I run it on the same gas that goes in the race car. I shut the fuel off and let it run out when I put it away. Haven't started it for a year and I bet it will start first pull.
Yep, turn the fuel off and let it run the bowl dry (mostly). I do the same with my motorcycles that have manual petcocks. I turn the tap off just before I turn on my street and they run dry when I get up to the garage.

I do that too, but if I leave something over the winter (or longer), it's just about guaranteed to be an ass ache the next time I try to start it. I don't know why it is. Shut-off valve not sealing up? Engine dies before the last few drops get drawn into the cylinder, residual gas on the walls of the fuel line eventually settles in the bowl? Whatever it is, it doesn't happen with natural gas.

RobBase

BAMF
I do that too, but if I leave something over the winter (or longer), it's just about guaranteed to be an ass ache the next time I try to start it. I don't know why it is. Shut-off valve not sealing up? Engine dies before the last few drops get drawn into the cylinder, residual gas on the walls of the fuel line eventually settles in the bowl? Whatever it is, it doesn't happen with natural gas.
If you're talking about a Honda motor powered anything that has the standard black fuel shutoff paddle under the gray choke paddle,.....the problem is in the fuel shutoff valve itself. If you take one apart you'll find a short passage, about 1/4" - 1/2" long in the cast body of the valve that does not drain into the bowl. Even after you run the engine dry or drain the bowl, that short passage retains fuel which evaporated over time leaving it filled with fuel goo that has to be dug out with wire to clear it out.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking the only way to clear it for storage is to some how fill the fuel tank with air pressure so it can blow all the fuel passages clean.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Running the natural gas or propane means you need to change the oil twice as often beside the 20% power loss.

The volatile components of the oil cook off as it runs and the oil loses it's ability to flow as well and if left long enough, will turn into pudding.
Funny... i have heard the opposite for a lp gas generator...

lp is a much cleaner burning fuel...

so far... the oil coming out looks as good as the oil going in...

Generc recommends once a year for earl changes......

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+

that was my understanding as well, for propane at least. I would imagine NG or CNG would be the same.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
VP makes some stuff for small engines in a quart can called "fix it fuel"
I'm wondering if you would be better off if you ran the tank dry of gasoline, put an oz or less of the VP product then ran it dry again.

Wretch

amazingly graceful

Well, do what you like but, my information comes from experience.
Yes, LP/Natural/propane do burn cleaner.

If you read what I wrote again, you'll see I wasn't talking about changing it because it got dirty.
The lighter/volatile components of the oil burn off/evaporate with use.
The lubrication properties go away and the oil turns into a honey like consistency.
This will cause wear issues just as bad as the carbon bits left in the oil from gasoline usage.

I've seen it happen with tractors that were propane fueled.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
i was just mentioning my findings...

i have a 4 year old Generac 22k twin lp rig...

every year when i change the oil... i feel it... i swear it is hard to tell the new from old... even when i taste it... :frEEk:

oh ya... it runs for about 8 minutes every other week to keep the battery charged... and it has been used very little in 4 years... it seems once you drop coin on a full house power system, you stop needing it... lol

Wretch

amazingly graceful
i was just mentioning my findings...

i have a 4 year old Generac 22k twin lp rig...

every year when i change the oil... i feel it... i swear it is hard to tell the new from old... even when i taste it... :frEEk:

oh ya... it runs for about 8 minutes every other week to keep the battery charged... and it has been used very little in 4 years... it seems once you drop coin on a full house power system, you stop needing it... lol
The answer is in your reply.

It doesn't get used enough to cook the oil components off.
If you were to use it for any great length, you'd find it would need changing.
Most Gensets I've used/worked on get heavy workouts on boats/RV's construction.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
Well, do what you like but, my information comes from experience.
Yes, LP/Natural/propane do burn cleaner.

If you read what I wrote again, you'll see I wasn't talking about changing it because it got dirty.
The lighter/volatile components of the oil burn off/evaporate with use.
The lubrication properties go away and the oil turns into a honey like consistency.
This will cause wear issues just as bad as the carbon bits left in the oil from gasoline usage.

I've seen it happen with tractors that were propane fueled.
Fork trucks are a prolific consumer of LPG. I dont maintain ours so I've no idea how the oil fares long term.

Top Bottom