New toy

zxfan

BAM
With a handle of Zxfan I'm a little embarrassed to ask this next question.

What is it?

OP
OP
GrkGrrl

GrkGrrl

soul-destroying, feminazi, castrating Dyke Bitch
With a handle of Zxfan I'm a little embarrassed to ask this next question.

What is it?
So yes I suggest that you be embarrassed for a very long time....it is a baby ninja 250r

Hapo

Dog Boy
...just sayin', me 2ed hardest crash was on one of those...Joey Dunlop died on a 250...respect the baby Ninja...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I thought I was getting fast on a 600 at Louden and then got passed buy a fat guy on a 250...

...he probably weighted as much as his bike...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...no, this was in 88...I was there with flash @ superbike school...

...the fat guy was one of the instructors...

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
off the top of my head heat retention on primaries for small engines is unnecessary. Also header length is a huge consideration for small displacement engines to develop critical torks. See moto3 bikes for example.
Hopefully riders legs are not between front tire and primary.
I dont like cloth wrap on metal for any reason. If trying to retain heat...a coating works better.

rumble phish

BAMF+
one of the absolute best track days I had was up @ Thunderhill here in Cali. It was with a track day group called "Zoom Zoom", which was great. I'm not sure if they're still around. Anywho, there was this little guy there in an old school Kawi Ninja 500, the one with the old parallel twin. He had it set up to race and he was pretty fucking quick on it. Turns out he was an instructor who was "tuning" his bike. During one of the early sessions we got into a tit for tat "race", swapping positions on track many times. He'd catch me in the tight corners and I'd blow past him on the straights. Bear in mind that this was early in my track day experience when I was in th e lowly "C" class. I quickly moved up to A class thanks to the likes of this guy, who helped show me how to be quick in the corners.

The moral of the story is never to take a bike for granted. The rider makes all the difference int he world.

Last edited:

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that is basically how I learned to ride...chasing a fast guy...

...his name was John Chaison...so we called it Chaison Racing...

...he would go to classes and then instruct me...he was also a MSF instructor so he was good as it...

...those were my glory days...

Terry_Schiavo

...that is basically how I learned to ride...chasing a fast guy
i promise you did not learn how to ride fast chasing someone. Maybe you saw a different line or maybe you were able to build momentum alot easier than the 250 rider

Dameon

BAMF
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Hopefully riders legs are not between front tire and primary.
True... but your legs are right on the outlet for air passing over the headers and out the sides.

I dont like cloth wrap on metal for any reason. If trying to retain heat...a coating works better.
No doubt, but there is a cost and time factor to have it done. I would make that investment for a track bike.

What are your thoughts on wrapping a turbo exhaust on a street bike? I did, primarily because the heat soak up through the body work and out the side vents made summer riding uncomfortable. The quote to JetCoat my turbo-back exhaust was $2000+. I passed. I didn't ride in the rain, so I wasn't worried about wet wrap rotting my pipe.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...because it isn't true...chasing flash is exactly what transformed me from a common squid into a species that few can hang with...

...you need to step up to Stuman/Dino level to walk on me....

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I am thnking Rhino might disagree with you on that as well...

...we are not just talking aboot following some random rider for a few laps...

...although leaning new lines in a few laps from faster guys has certainly made me faster around Loudon so you are fuked there too... .!.:D.!.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...it might be worth noting that I clocked both the fastest and the slowest lap time of the class...I beat flash's best lap by .01 seconds...I was faster than flash...!!!...wooohooo…!!!...

...he had pretty much all good laps, though, and posted the most consistent times of the class...

...Code offered neither of us contracts at the end of the class, however...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...the reason flash wasn't faster at Loudon that day is that he wasn't really hosing the gas on the straights...

...he wasn't all that interested in going really fast on the straights...they just connected the curves in his mind...

Terry_Schiavo

...because it isn't true...chasing flash is exactly what transformed me from a common squid into a species that few can hang with...
...you need to step up to Stuman/Dino level to walk on me....
interesting... Ive run 18s at Jennings in a couple races (when we raced there) and comparable pace at Roebling was in the 13s. Then 35s at Barber.
Now these aint the pointy spear end of the expert race pack times but solid front mid pack. All on transponder results mother effer. :fu: Just last week I was turning 21s/22s at a leisurely track day pace at Jennings not rowing the gear box. Spoiler alert thats my home track so I go pretty good there and Roebling. I will say that Im just now getting comfortable on a 1000 to turn the bike with the rear.
Me thinks you can run your mouth all you want but you will be sadly mistaken that "chasing" guys around is a key to speed.

You can go buy a 100 or 125... we can settle it in a manner you wont become permanently disabled...lol Or suit up and qualify for an expert club race grid... we can settle it that way if you like. I promise you this... even if you started on pole... I would suck the paint of your ride with my holeshots that Id be 10-12 bike lengths in front of you by Turn 1. Yeah I got a clutch hand that can make street bike go 1.5s at a dragstrip. :fu:

Terry_Schiavo

Maybe you outta change your name to Clutch.
And we could be facebook friends!! Hey look...its MasterCylinder & Clutch We could race drift trikes...
Hapo will blow smoke about how fast he is... til the transponder gets stuck on his fork leg. :D

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
And we could be facebook friends!! Hey look...its MasterCylinder & Clutch We could race drift trikes...
Hapo will blow smoke about how fast he is... til the transponder gets stuck on his fork leg. :D
With a handle like that, we could be a crime fight duo on TV. Or maybe crime causing duo.

Terry_Schiavo

True... but your legs are right on the outlet for air passing over the headers and out the sides.
No doubt, but there is a cost and time factor to have it done. I would make that investment for a track bike.
What are your thoughts on wrapping a turbo exhaust on a street bike? I did, primarily because the heat soak up through the body work and out the side vents made summer riding uncomfortable. The quote to JetCoat my turbo-back exhaust was $2000+. I passed. I didn't ride in the rain, so I wasn't worried about wet wrap rotting my pipe.
it has its place... like in a crowded engine bay or the like.
I doubt a riders legs are restricting airflow from the primary/radiator area.
On my gsxr I put the bubble wrap foil to keep the fuel tank from boiling. If it wasnt a street bike Id make a 2 gallon fuel cell
for the subframe.

Hapo

Dog Boy
interesting... Ive run 18s at Jennings in a couple races (when we raced there) and comparable pace at Roebling was in the 13s. Then 35s at Barber.
Now these aint the pointy spear end of the expert race pack times but solid front mid pack. All on transponder results mother effer. :fu: Just last week I was turning 21s/22s at a leisurely track day pace at Jennings not rowing the gear box. Spoiler alert thats my home track so I go pretty good there and Roebling. I will say that Im just now getting comfortable on a 1000 to turn the bike with the rear.
Me thinks you can run your mouth all you want but you will be sadly mistaken that "chasing" guys around is a key to speed.

You can go buy a 100 or 125... we can settle it in a manner you wont become permanently disabled...lol Or suit up and qualify for an expert club race grid... we can settle it that way if you like. I promise you this... even if you started on pole... I would suck the paint of your ride with my holeshots that Id be 10-12 bike lengths in front of you by Turn 1. Yeah I got a clutch hand that can make street bike go 1.5s at a dragstrip. :fu:
...I'm sure you are much faster than I...I simply never had the financial capacity nor the commitment to achieve what you have on a track...

...like I said...you have to step up to a truly expert level...

...if I had a chance to ride with you to any extent I would likely improve to the point I could hang or die...

...it would depend upon how willing you are to work with me and what level of trust we developed...

...I used to ride close enough to flash to touch...after almost getting picked off by a car in high traffic road crime one day it seemed safer to occupy one space, as it were...

...aslo it made it possible to closely mirror his movements...we would frequently stop for debriefing on my riding...

...I had to trust him implicitly...if he went over a cliff I would have too...I just figgered if he made it I could too, if I kept my shit tight and did what he did...

...we would be GTG so long as you don't change your mind aboot stopping for a traffic light we committed to running at the last second...

...most guys who are really faster than me won't ride as fast as I will on the street though...there is that... .!.:D.!.

Top Bottom