need a good metric tap&die set not made in CHINA

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
did a couple quick searches on Amazon, China's #1 crap outlet evidently. Don't want or need the SAE sizes (pinhead's farmer size) as I've ben a farmer long enough to have everything I need. Just want to upgrade to the basic between 5mm up to 12mm in a couple of thread pitches for the bigger ones.

recommendations?

Snap on warranties them, so if you like never paying for one again , or I would just go with grainger or some other industrial supply house. I've found the metric "sets" to be half useful on motorbikes, other times they use odd pitches that don't come in sets.

Funny I've never really bought a tap and die set. I've just accumulated bits and pieces over the years and have bins full of taps.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Snap on warranties them, so if you like never paying for one again , or I would just go with grainger or some other industrial supply house. I've found the metric "sets" to be half useful on motorbikes, other times they use odd pitches that don't come in sets.

Funny I've never really bought a tap and die set. I've just accumulated bits and pieces over the years and have bins full of taps.
I also have mostly a pieced together set. Finally bought a little plastic organizer box (CHINA) just to keep them a little bit easyer to search through.

Probably gonna just buy the odd one or two I need again but thought a set might be handy.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I've found the metric "sets" to be half useful on motorbikes, other times they use odd pitches that don't come in sets.
Amen to that.

One guy I worked with was so happy to finally find a tap to fit an oddball size/pitch on some carbs, that he celebrated by getting drunk that night. As if he needed an excuse.

I think it was for the mixture screws on some Mikunis, like what came on GSXRs and Katanas in the late '80s, but I'm not sure.

I have a Snap On set I bought 25 years ago. I don't think I have broken any of them.

Breaking taps is more technique than tool quality. Good technique comes from breaking taps and having to clean up your mess.

Last machine shop I worked at I did a hella lot of tapping with the CNC. Form taps, spiral and straight fluted conventional taps, helicoil taps. It gets confusing sometimes but taps are a lot stronger than they look. CNC has no feel, they just power right through.

GSXRN99

CAPSLOCK
I had a big problem back in the 80's with the influx of "made in China". A friend embraced it as his belief was throw away tools and the product he was selling / installing, he was making big bank. He had distributor connections and I bought a shit truck load of tools which half have already been tossed. I wont buy cheap crap anymore which makes shopping difficult as most of what you can find in made in china. This weekend I am going through all my tools and the ones not necessary to keep that are made in china are getting tossed. I already toss at least half my clothing and unnecessary bullshit around the house that isnt needed. I am creating a "made in china" mountain in my backyard and after I convince everyone else in the house to contribute it is all going up in smoke on you tube.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I have an old Craftsman metric/farmer set and a Matco metric set. Like Braindead said, lots in the kit you may never use. I have some big ass 18mm taps and dies. The mega fine thread ones for carb work too.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
This is a "Kustom" die I had to rig up to repair some fucking morons crankshaft threads with the engine together and in the frame. It had to be driven with a 17mm socket to get it to clear other parts on the engine. 18 x 1.0mm left hand thread. I gas welded it together and pressed the die into it. I was going to use a set screw, but didn't need to. It all had to be done pretty quick. The 37164

Top Bottom