My fridge story...

Website
www.bikeland.org
So my Dad downsized and sold his house and moved into an apartment so he gave us his old garage fridge. It's an old white Kenmore unit. Nothing exciting. Have a pretty nice fridgedair unit in the kitchen with an ice maker etc but welcomed an overflow fridge for beer or costco meat etc.

Since his fridge is pretty old and I didnt entirely trust it I ordered a bunch of chinese fridge thermometers off of Amazon. They arrive and I put them in my good stainless steel fridgedair kitchen fridge. The thermometers read all funky total BS readings. They dont even remotely match what the digital displays and all the computer controls read for the fridge temps. I put them in my dad's old fridge and they seem to read fine.

Fuck these shitty chinese thermometers I think so I return them to amazon, give them a 1 star review for being inaccurate pieces of shit and order 2 new brand name brand made in the usa fridge thermometers.

I put them in my kitchen fridge and the made in the USA fuckers also read all wrong. They claim my fridge is running way warm just like the chinese ones did.

I put the new thermometers in my Dad's old fridge and they read perfectly.

I finally realize that my fridge is a broken piece of shit and not the thermometers. Explains why my beer was never quite cold enough or why the costco sour cream always went mouldy.

New fridge arrives Saturday.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
yah... Ive always been a fan off "KISS" when it comes to appliances. I see $4400 fridges at the store and laugh my ass off at the suckers buying em. Then you look at the clearance isle... theres always some $3500 unit marked down $2,000 with an "issue". My limit is $1,000 for a fridge and I better get 15yrs out of that mother fucker! :fu:

Also the Chinks rate your Canadian complaints 25% less than comparable Amerikan ones! :D

Vegas12

BAMF+
Pretty tight with the appliance guy at Lowes, just show him the appliance I want from ABC Electric and he'll match the price in addition to my 10% military.

So the lifestyle fridge in the house...French door, counter depth, huuuge area for mugs in the ice/water dispenser etc.....absolutely sucks. It keeps things barely cold enough.

The new scratch and dent side by side in the garage that cost me $400 OTD will freeze bottled water if I set it too low.....go figure.

Did you try setting it colder before kicking it to the curb?
Also it is good to pull a fridge out once a year and clean off the cooling magical bits as they can get clogged up with crap, especially if you have pets.
Make sure you got a couple inches or air space to sides and back as well.
Oh ya and new appliances are generally crap for longevity and repairabiltiy compared to the older stuff.

Terry_Schiavo

its the circuit boards and other non essential items that fail

Austin_F

BAMF+
This is mine

Screenshot_20191128-070907_Opera.jpg

I bought it from a scratch and dent guy for $1000. All 4 handles with dents. Replaced for $50 each off Ebay.

It took a while to figure out the freezer wasn't going through a defrost cycle. New motherboard didnt fix it. Some testing found the heating element was already bad. In a new fridge.

Ordered a new heating element plus sensor and put it on myself, and it is way inside the freezer. Now it's been flawless.

That drawer in the middle is genius. Four settings. 29 or so degrees for fish, 33 degrees for beer and soda, and two warmer settings for other things. Its such a great idea.

I need an upright freezer though, half cows sell for $2 lbs and I don't have the room for one.

I also tried the cheap grocery store thermometers and they go bad quick. Got a certified food service thermometer and its rock solid.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Wait, you need refrigerators in Canada? Can't you just use the root cellar?

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
Did you try setting it colder before kicking it to the curb?
Also it is good to pull a fridge out once a year and clean off the cooling magical bits as they can get clogged up with crap, especially if you have pets.
Make sure you got a couple inches or air space to sides and back as well.
Oh ya and new appliances are generally crap for longevity and repairabiltiy compared to the older stuff.

Yes and yes. There is some logic circuit controlling airflow between freezer and fridge that is toast - but during the investigation upon super close inspection I also noticed hairline cracks everywhere in the doors and chassis. Stick a fork in it. It's done.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Nice timing.
My 8-10 y/o fridge developed a "drip, drip, drip" last night.
Coming from the water inlet I suspect. Can't see the water dripping though, so I'll have to remove the panels. :(
Your post reminds me that this would be a great time to do a deep clean of the fridge too. I'll have to watch some how-to videos and learn it soon.

My ice maker's plastic box busted a hole due to frozen ice getting behind it. New one is $500 on eBay. :eek:

Terry_Schiavo

meanwhile appliances are being blown out for holidays and new model year

Stetson

BAMF
My parents had a stainless, side by side fridge that shit the bed. My mother was looking for an excuse to get a new one anyway, because she wound up hating the skinny, tall freezer and wanted a bottom drawer one. I hauled their old one back to my warehouse and had an appliance repair guy from the place down the road come look at it. He replaced some circuit/control/electrical part for less than $125 and I've been using in in the break room for the last three years.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
New freezers don't get as cold as they use to...industry trying for low consumer cost.

Austin_F

BAMF+
im always impressed with the open top display freezers in grocery stores.

open to the nice warm air yet inches below the top the turkeys are as solid as granite. i know warm air rises but damn those things work beautifully.

Stetson

BAMF
New freezers don't get as cold as they use to...industry trying for low consumer cost.
I have a small, maybe 15 year old GE chest freezer that survived a flood in my basement. I flipped the light on, and was headed down the stairs to figure out why the internet stopped working, saw the freezer out of place and wondered why the wife had moved it. As the stupid, curly florescent light bulbs warmed up, I saw that the freezer had floated as far away from the wall as the power cord/mooring line would allow it, in two feet of water. :eek: It was full of food, too! After I busted a few snowbanks with the backhoe and fixed the flood problem, I let the freezer dry out and plugged it back in and it's been working fine for years now. I'm amazed.

Snail

I've got one like that too. About -6 f is all I can get out of my Kenmore, but the old one does -10 f. on medium setting.

Snail

I was responding to Stetson.

busa10

BAMF
My fridge stories... We had an OLD fridge in a basement when I was a kid. Tried to move the heavy thing up the stairs myself and got stuck half way up. Decided to take the compressor out to make the fridge lighter. I cut a coolant line and little did I know but ammonia was used as refrigerant. It sprayed out, I got a snoot full and ran to the other end of the basement, busted out a window and crawled out. One of many dumb things I've done.
As an adult (?)I drilled a 1" hole in the side of a fairly new fridge, put a bucket of tannerite in it, closed the door, and shot it with a 22-250 from maybe 100 yards away. Yep, that fixed it... much lighter.

Master-Cylinder

Many an old appliance succumbed to a 1/4 stick tossed in it. Just lighting the fuse on them made your hand shake.

Got rid of a perfectly functional old refrigerator that probably will never die. Bought an absurdly overpriced LG at a decent sale price. Fucker shit the bed within 3 months. Food spoiled, etc. Turns out the defrost cycle interval programmed into the brain was too long, which allowed ice build up on the fan between cycles, which fried the fan motor and the board. New board, new fan, replaced under warranty, and it has been a reliable piece. Stupid expensive, with more features than I ever needed, but it is what it is.

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
So my Dad downsized and sold his house and moved into an apartment so he gave us his old garage fridge. It's an old white Kenmore unit. Nothing exciting. Have a pretty nice fridgedair unit in the kitchen with an ice maker etc but welcomed an overflow fridge for beer or costco meat etc.

Since his fridge is pretty old and I didnt entirely trust it I ordered a bunch of chinese fridge thermometers off of Amazon. They arrive and I put them in my good stainless steel fridgedair kitchen fridge. The thermometers read all funky total BS readings. They dont even remotely match what the digital displays and all the computer controls read for the fridge temps. I put them in my dad's old fridge and they seem to read fine.

Fuck these shitty chinese thermometers I think so I return them to amazon, give them a 1 star review for being inaccurate pieces of shit and order 2 new brand name brand made in the usa fridge thermometers.

I put them in my kitchen fridge and the made in the USA fuckers also read all wrong. They claim my fridge is running way warm just like the chinese ones did.

I put the new thermometers in my Dad's old fridge and they read perfectly.

I finally realize that my fridge is a broken piece of shit and not the thermometers. Explains why my beer was never quite cold enough or why the costco sour cream always went mouldy.

New fridge arrives Saturday.
That's so interesting I'm just gonna listen...

Vegas12

BAMF+
Freezer seems fine ....it's the fridge that won't get as cold as I'd prefer. The energy bullshit was the song and dance I was getting.....yet the cheap garage fridge is colder in a much more hostile environment during summer.

BigGar

high on placebo
I picked up a used cabinet depth fridge on Craigslist a dozen or so years ago when I redid our kitchen. Yes, they're pretty useless in terms of space and we're always overflowing to the wine fridge, followed by the Gartel fridge, but I hate the idea of getting another fridge/freezer for the garage. If I go solar then I might reconsider, but our power bill is high enough without paying another $30+/month to keep a 12 pack of beer cold. The Maytag/JennAir, whatever fridge in the kitchen has always worked pretty well. I keep it at 34 / -2 for the most part. Icemaker did shit the bed a few years back. Replaced it with an aftermarket (Chinese) one off Amazon or Ebay or something for $37 to my door. Fucking thing makes ice so quick I have to turn it off half the time. One benefit to a cabinet depth fridge is that a lot less stuff gets "lost" in the back. Less mold filled smelly Tupperware mystery tubs to discover and easier to keep clean and organized.

BigGar

high on placebo
Here's the electric charges on my most current bill if you care to decipher.
SDG&E is the highest in the nation apparently but I can't confirm.
Pretty average number. Cheapest of the year might be $250 for gas & electric. Highest might be close to double that.
I do not have central air.
Zero usage of our little portable roll-around bedroom a/c unit on this bill.
It's probably about $5.00 to cool our bedroom every night we do use it on really warm summer nights.
I just turned the heat on (gas) yesterday for the first time this year, so that's not on it.
My pool filters pretty efficiently about five nights per week at the off peak and super off peak rates.
Don't run my hot tub (spa) more than once per week, if that.
Water is heated with gas.
Almost every light in my house is LED.
TV's are on a lot but all reasonably efficient LCD? LED? I don't know, but they're juice sucking plasma.
So I guess what I'm saying is please don't try to tell me that my fridge ain't $30 of that number. It's at least that. Likely double. I've got a little wine fridge too, and I'm sure that fucker is sucking as much as a regular fridge or close. Trailer is usually plugged in to the 30 amp hookup I installed for it but that mostly just runs the battery charger. The trailer fridge was not on at all during this billing period.

Detail of Current Charges - Continued Total Gas Service $55.13

Electric Service Rate: Time of Use Plus - TOU-DR-P-Residential Climate Zone: Coastal Baseline Allowance: 274 kWh Billing Period: 10/22/19 - 11/21/19

Total Days: 30 Meter Number: ****** (Next scheduled read date Dec 24, 2019)

Cycle: 17 Meter Constant: 1.000 Circuit: 0207 Your circuit is currently not subject to rotating outage. However, this is subject to change without notice.

Total Usage: 788 (Usage based on interval data)

ELECTRIC CHARGES Amount($) Electricity Delivery (Details below) 235 kWh SUMMER USAGE

On-Peak Off-Peak Super Off-Peak kWh used 47 106 82 Rate/kWh $.23658 $.23658 $.23658 9 Day Charge $11.12 + $25.08 + $19.40 = 55.60

Electricity Delivery (Details below) 553 kWh WINTER USAGE On-Peak Off-Peak Super Off-Peak kWh used 135 230 188 Rate/kWh $.27759 $.27759 $.27759 21 Day Charge $37.47 + $63.85 + $52.19 = 153.51

Rate Change This Billing Period: There was a rate change on day 22 of your Billing Period. Therefore, your charges for the first 21 days were at Rate 1, and the remaining 9 days were at Rate 2.

DWR Bond Charge 788 kWh x $.00503 3.96

Electricity Generation (Details below) 235 kWh SUMMER USAGE On-Peak Off-Peak Super Off-Peak kWh used 47 106 82 Rate/kWh $.17257 $.16518 $.07168

9 Day Charge $8.11 + $17.51 + $5.88 = 31.50

Electricity Generation (Details below) 553 kWh WINTER USAGE On-Peak Off-Peak Super Off-Peak kWh used 135 230 188 Rate/kWh $.07671 $.06809 $.05853

21 Day Charge $10.36 + $15.66 + $11.00 = 37.02

DWR Revenue Adjustment -.03 Baseline Adjustment Credit -34.86 (this bill was actually discounted!!!!)

Total Electric Charges $246.70

TAXES & FEES ON ELECTRIC CHARGES

Amount ($) Franchise Fees on Electric Energy Supplied by Others 3.93 x 1.10%

.04 State Surcharge Tax 788 kWh x $.000300 .24

State Regulatory Fee 788 kWh x $.000580 .46

Total Taxes & Fees on Electric Charges $.74

Total Electric Service $247.44

Total Current Charges $302.57

Austin_F

BAMF+
Go to amazon and get one of those watt meters you plug into the wall, then you plug the appliance into that.

You'll know exactly how much power something is using.

P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor

Stetson

BAMF
If you're too cheap, you can borrow those kill-a-watt meters. I think my little town library actually has one or two to loan out. I have one. I got it to see how much juice the radon fan in the attic burns, running 24/7. I can't even remember now, but it was less than I assumed.

Terry_Schiavo

killawatt... will give you power draw of appliances that plug into 120

BigGar

high on placebo
Yeah, I'll have to check one of those out, but would it really make any difference? It kind of is what it is. I'm not buying a new fridge anytime soon, and I'm not optimistic it would be a whole lot better than what I have efficiency wise.

Master-Cylinder

It gets into the low to mid 70's in the house now, I have a pile of blankets stacked on the bed 4 inches thick to stay warm.

And the Holiday lights I lit the place up with is going to rip the ass out on my bill next month!

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
Power here is:

$0.2090 per day delivery charge
$0.0043 per day crisis fund charge (no idea what this is)
$0.0624 per day transit levy (some stupid eco take the bus tax)
$20 / month - keep the Wifi radio on the meter turned off so they have to actually read your meter fee

Electricity:

First 1,376 kWh are charged at $0.0945/kWh which equals $130.03

Anything above 1376 kWh is charged at $0.1417/kWh

Then there is 5% federal tax on it all.

Total bill for 62 days billing taxes in is $501.26, $40 of which is the fee paid to keep the stupid RFID tracking radio shut off.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Have an old fridge ( 1940's or 50's ) that we got from a house i bought in 1997.

2 x 13 ( 60 eqiv ) watt bulbs on a timer and the fridge with constant power was $ 7 a month.

Nothing else was running while we worked on the house.

Still have the fridge running 000 Old fridge 1.jpg 000 Old fridge 2.jpg , now in The Bat Cave since then. Pics taken today.

Terry_Schiavo

Ill say this... I can plug my fully cooled fridge into my eu2000 and it wont change the engine speed.

OP
fish_antlers
Website
www.bikeland.org
New fridge arrived. Attached US Gov energyguide says this fringe uses 587 kwh annually total annual cost to run is $70. Barely been running and already colder than the old fridge. Fridge guys dropped my old fridge on the way out and it smashed to pieces and the doors fell off. Now we can finally get the remaining kitchen cabinets for that part of the kitchen.

20191130_161610.jpg 20191130_161602.jpg

Stetson

BAMF
I took two fridges out of a place I was caretaker for. Had to remove the doors to get them to fit through the door. Of course, I put the door back on outside. After I loaded them in the truck and drove to the dump, the guy said I couldn't throw them away with the doors on. Since I'd left my tools back at the house, he handed me a crow bar. :frown2:

Austin_F

BAMF+
Lol yep I had to take both doors and both drawers off to get in the house.

That was a learning experience.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I took two fridges out of a place I was caretaker for. Had to remove the doors to get them to fit through the door. Of course, I put the door back on outside. After I loaded them in the truck and drove to the dump, the guy said I couldn't throw them away with the doors on. Since I'd left my tools back at the house, he handed me a crow bar. :frown2:

Lol yep I had to take both doors and both drawers off to get in the house.

That was a learning experience.

Last house I built had hugely double doors.... never a problem bringing anything in.

Current house and I'm the smartest motherfucker ever.. ..even though it's a smallish upstairs living area, I framed it for a 42" wide door. Only problem is the fucking stairwell going up has a landing and everything is a fight getting it up the stairs. At least it goes right through the door once it's up.

Fridge/Appliances were no problem since it was free delivery....but my back did hurt watching.

Helping the little guys get the slabs of granite up was a whole 'nother story. Asshole puckered a few times.

Top Bottom