My brother officially hates battery operated tools

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
Last Saturday, my younger brother did some yardwork and finished off by blowing the yard with his Eco or Ego battery operated
blower. Took the battery for the blower into his shed and plugged it in to charge up. Beautiful weather last Saturday, so he had the grill fired up and started cooking out. The grill is on the opposite side of the house as his shed.

Unbeknownst to him, his neighbor came over, started banging on the door and my sis-in-law answered and was told there's some
smoke coming out of his shed. Sis-in-law runs out to the grill and tells my bro, "I think the shed is on fire!"
My brother runs over to it, sees smoke now starting to billow out the gaps of the doors and is "oh shit, my bike is in there!" He grabs
the garden hose, starts spraying the outside of the shed while he tries to open the doors and get his bike out...........................too late.
By now, the added air from opening the door gets the whole thing ablaze. The firetruck arrived within minutes, not too mention all the
neighbors around him.

Fires out within 5 minutes and he goes back to grilling cause, what the hell else can you do?

1. Says he's going back to good ol' gas operated yard tools.
2. Needs someone to build him a new shed.
3. Needs the insurance adjuster(s) to give him the amount of money he'll get for the shed and motorcycle.
4. Needs a new motorcycle.
5. No one got hurt.
6. His son posted a meme picture on facebook of the top of his head with the burnt up shed in the background.

Official cause of the fire was the li-ion battery pack for his leaf blower.

TR3B

Old but forgotten
Last Saturday, my younger brother did some yardwork and finished off by blowing the yard with his Eco or Ego battery operated
blower. Took the battery for the blower into his shed and plugged it in to charge up. Beautiful weather last Saturday, so he had the grill fired up and started cooking out. The grill is on the opposite side of the house as his shed.

Unbeknownst to him, his neighbor came over, started banging on the door and my sis-in-law answered and was told there's some
smoke coming out of his shed. Sis-in-law runs out to the grill and tells my bro, "I think the shed is on fire!"
My brother runs over to it, sees smoke now starting to billow out the gaps of the doors and is "oh shit, my bike is in there!" He grabs
the garden hose, starts spraying the outside of the shed while he tries to open the doors and get his bike out...........................too late.
By now, the added air from opening the door gets the whole thing ablaze. The firetruck arrived within minutes, not too mention all the
neighbors around him.

Fires out within 5 minutes and he goes back to grilling cause, what the hell else can you do?

3. Needs the insurance adjuster(s) to give him the amount of money he'll get for the shed and motorcycle.
5. No one got hurt.
6. His son posted a meme picture on facebook of the top of his head with the burnt up shed in the background.

View attachment 102154

View attachment 102155

View attachment 102156

View attachment 102157

I have those Milwaukee things everywhere. This is my greatest fear.

Ninjaman12R

Joe Rogan, I smoke rocks....🖕
That would be the quintessential "don't lowball me, I know what I've got" marketplace/craigslist bike....😀

If Christine were a bike.....😳

Sucks for your brother, glad nobody got hurt. 👍

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor

neighbors around him.

5. No one got hurt.

View attachment 102154

View attachment 102155

View attachment 102156

View attachment 102157

Needs ATLEAST new fork seals...

OP
RobBase

RobBase

Yup, I was curious as to whether the homeowners or vehicle insurance was gonna cover the bike.
Turns out if anything has a VIN#, the vehicle insurance is responsible.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Seriously that is pretty fucked up... always have that idea in the back of my mind when i charge some shit like my ebike in the garage..

OP
RobBase

RobBase

That would be the quintessential "don't lowball me, I know what I've got" marketplace/craigslist bike....😀

If Christine were a bike.....😳

Sucks for your brother, glad nobody got hurt. 👍
Who knows, maybe he could get $100 on craigslist. Looks like the back tire is still ok!

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Yup, I was curious as to whether the homeowners or vehicle insurance was gonna cover the bike.
Turns out if anything has a VIN#, the vehicle insurance is responsible.
I rate this "mostly true". My insurance agent told me my Kubota tractor would be covered under my homeowner's insurance up to some declared maximum, provided I am not using it commercially. I would think the same would be true of your cherished Deere... although on second thought, maybe these have serial numbers rather than VINs, and that is the distinction.

Oh, crap!
I've gone from gas to electric. But I hate having batteries to charge and wear out, so all of mine are corded.
But I'm in the minority, and I'm sure there'll come a time when they no longer make corded tools for guys like me.

Last edited:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
My buddy lost an XR250 and a lawn tractor to a garage fire back in the '90s. Homeowners Insurance covered the lawn tractor, but not the XR250. They told him it should have been on his automotive policy with his car and street bike.

Yeah, he was pissed off....

Vegas12

BAMF+
My buddy lost an XR250 and a lawn tractor to a garage fire back in the '90s. Homeowners Insurance covered the lawn tractor, but not the XR250. They told him it should have been on his automotive policy with his car and street bike.

Yeah, he was pissed off....

I was told that....my basket case mustang has a suspended policy on it.... I think that's what they called it.... Liability is not in affect but comprehensive is.

Never leave any battery charges unattended because Lipo batteries have started more electrical fires than any other battery charging system.

Kids battery powered toys, electric scooters, skateboards, ebike, emotorcycles, escooters, drone batteries and so on. Always have a eye on your charging batteries and have it charging in a open space and Class C fire extinguisher near by and they are safety charging bags you can buy that helps store your lipo batteries inside of it.

My neighbor's house burnt down and killed one of the occupant that was in a wheel chair that could not get out of her house because a ebike was being over charging causing the batteries to burst and causing the fire.

When my 4 wheeler got stolen my insurance told me if it has wheels on it, it needs and auto policy. (Except for lawn mowers and such)

Glad no one was hurt, stuff can be replaced.

Buddy of mine had a Milwaukee battery ignite on the Charger in his garage. He got his bike out, but it burnt his wife's Trans Am (that she had since high school in 1984) to the ground. It also messed up his 69 383/4 speed GTS that he had since 1978 and just got done having it painted. His insurance made good on everything.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I probably should be more careful when charging batteries. I've let them charge overnight plenty of times. This shit scares me because I'm way underinsured on my shop and its contents.

My kid bought me a 4 station Dewalt charger.

I keep the charger in the tool box.....hope that would avert any disaster.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I leave lead acid batteries on charge allah tyme. But those lithium ion, nope.
Probably should have an outdoor charging station.

Was it Chevy that said don't park you bolt in your garage?

Those of you with battery powered cars, sleep well.

rsh

BAM
Hate them as well. They are never charged when you need them most or worse they are run down so low you can't do what you wanted to do with it to begin with and needs to be charged.

OP
RobBase

RobBase

He gave me some more info........the only losses were the GSXR, a miter saw, some smaller tools, leaf blower, etc. He also said the EGO blower battery was 10-11 years old.

Makes me think they should come up with a metal box for charging batteries indoors with the same principal as a metal safety gas can. Spring loaded door with no way for a fire to escape the inside.
Either that or charge them outside.

No one can sit there and "attend" a battery for 2-6 hours while it's charging.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I have a steel box that I store lipos in. Got a fireproof bag that I charge them in.

I never leave any appliance running when I'm not home except a/c.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
/----/
Makes me think they should come up with a metal box for charging batteries indoors with the same principal as a metal safety gas can. Spring loaded door with no way for a fire to escape the inside.

-----/
Great idea!

I have a large metal shell I saved from a microwave oven, a couple more sheets of steel and I would have a metal box to put my 3 tool battery chargers in. It will be about the size of a large bread box. Remember those?

Now, where to put the box...?

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
In my idea, the battery charger goes in the box...and the battery is clipped into it to charge. After it's charged, it can come out of the box and lay anywhere. But the charger is mounted in the box.

Makes sense for yours where the battery is mounted to the charger.
My chargers have leads that are 2-3 feet long that go to the batteries.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Makes sense for yours where the battery is mounted to the charger.
My chargers have leads that are 2-3 feet long that go to the batteries.
To Li-Po batteries? Are they in a bike or car?

I won't have those in any of my bikes because of the fire problem.

That reminds me, I need to go out and add some water to one of my bikes batteries.... 😅

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Well, darn. I just put a 200 ah lion battery in my toy hauler, inside the storage compartment, under my bed room. Should I put a Halon extinguisher in the compartment with the battery?

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
He gave me some more info........the only losses were the GSXR, a miter saw, some smaller tools, leaf blower, etc. He also said the EGO blower battery was 10-11 years old.

Either that or charge them outside.

rc guys almost always use "blankets" for this very reason to put around their li packs when charging at home...

Top Bottom