MOST IMPORTANT MOTORCYCLE OF ALL TIME

OP
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...fuk the site...how aboot the Honda...???...

...I was stunned by it when it first came out...

...I was riding a stolen 500 Tiger...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
It spurred Kawasaki to come up/out with the Z-1 and it all went "downhill" from there.

luckystrike

Craves the dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
I clicked through all the bullshit to see the list. Fuck slideshows. Any "most important motorcycle" list that doesn't include the Honda super cub series is complete shit.
+1 on the slideshow sites

Contrived content arranged for high ad impressions

Refuse to browse such sites

BilletMan

BAMF+
The Honda 750-four forever changed the world of motorcycling, no doubt! :biggar::turboblew:

Austin_F

BAMF+
I used to have a page bookmarked that you could put the slideshow through. It would strip the ads and present the entire story and pics in one slightly misaligned plain page. I'll have to find it again.

OP
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that probably would have never happened w/o the CB750 setting the bar...most of what happened after that was in response to the OG superbike...

...the Hayabusa was/is the Vincent of it's day but it didn't really create the class it ruled...

BilletMan

BAMF+
Hapo is ON POINT:

...that probably would have never happened w/o the CB750 setting the bar...most of what happened after that was in response to the OG superbike...

...the Hayabusa was/is the Vincent of it's day but it didn't really create the class it ruled...

BilletMan

BAMF+
Without clicking on that, I'll say that the Suzuki Katana has to be on the list....it ushered in the hyper bike....cool bike!

OP
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
…..nope....it is a deficient list fill of click bait shit...

...no phishing though...

OP
OP
Hapo

Hapo

Dog Boy
The massive impact of the CB750 forever banished Japan’s former reputation as a copycat nation, capable of little more than mass-producing others’ designs for a fraction of the cost. The CB750 forged a new reputation for the island nation as an indisputable source of the best engineering, design and technology in the world. More important to motorcycle enthusiasts, the CB750 acted as the archetypal Japanese superbike, kicking off an epic high-performance arms race that continues to this day. There would be no Honda CBR1000RR—nor Kawasaki ZX-10R, or Suzuki GSX-R1000, or Yamaha YZF-R1—if the CB750 hadn’t come first.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Honda built some real shit back in the old days and still! Age has fogged the memories of people who thing those old CB750's were grate. Take it from someone who still has to work on them, junk! Just the fucking junk carbs on them are enough to condemn them. Rube Goldberg himself must have designed them! And the fuckers were made of what looks like pot metal. The Mikuni carbs of the same era were made so much better.
And before some asshole spouts off aboot them, I still work on these thing allah tyme so I fucking know!
Sure it was a bit better than the Harley's, and some Italian and British motorcycles of the time, but that isn't saying much.
I'd much rather work on a '69 Triumph/Norton/BSA than that Honda!
I suppose if you put a set of modern carbs, electronic ignition and brakes on that thing, it would be OK to ride.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Most important motorcycle is the one that comes home from the dealer... times change... so do the motorcycles that are important at the time.

BilletMan

BAMF+
I've owned tons of old Hondas, loved them all! Great bikes, great quality! I can't imagine what MC is bitching about....I'm probably owned 25 of them...they were way higher quality than the Suz and Kaws, as those were pretty scarce, Yamaha has always been highly rated, albeit they're no Honda.....HONDA ROCKS!! :biggar::biggar::biggar::biggar:

BilletMan

BAMF+
Fuckin aye!

I mentored this kid...I sold him this XR-in-a-box and worked hard to do a frame-off restoration. He TOTALLY took to this and steered his interests, education, and profession as a result. SADLY, Chris was killed in a head-on collision in Boerne, Tx a couple of years ago, He was driving down the road with his dog...BAM, dead....I made this dude's future...his MOM was pretty imposing when she suggested that he should ride my bikes and learn my stuff....GREAT MOM!! Mine did the same thing, went out of her way to introduce me to stuff that I needed to see.....RIP Chris....

DSCN0754.JPG

Attachments

Of course working in shops you rarely see examples as nice as billetman's.....you get crap, owned by people who are cheap asses, that was never kept clean and has tons of problems. The things commonly end up with more problems while in your possession.

Master-Cylinder

Some of those old Hondas were good, but those old inline fours with the junk carbs... no thanks. And then the original Goldwings, they had contact breaker ignitions driven off the camshaft that was driven by a belt, the fucking timing jumped around faster than Billetman being accosted by a rooster. And lets not forget the shit bag V-4's they came out with. No support for the ends of the cams, shitbag giant stamped steel cam chain tensioners that would bend when ever they felt like it. They GIANT FWS1000 heap. CX500 with five speed gearboxes so you were running at redline on the highway. And on and on and on.

Master-Cylinder

I think it was the second generation Junkwing that had to have a 2.2kg weight bolted to the forks to slow the wobbling down on it.

Master-Cylinder

The only CB750 worth a nickel is the one with the sand cast crankcases. I'd sell that thing faster than it could ever go!

BilletMan

BAMF+
You're a cranky guy...I'd love to have any early four-cylinder 750, 550, 500, 400, or 350! Very cool bikes!! :mastercylinder::mastercylinder::mastercylinder:

pimpslayer

BAMF+
CB750 was the most important street bike of the last 75 years. They found a way to put a pretty solid copy of an MV Agusta out to the general public.

But the bike that I'll always remember for showing that a fast bike didn't have to be a wallowy pig was the Sport and Supersport bikes from Ducati in the '70s.

They always looked like a Greyhound among the Rottweilers.

Team222

BAMF
The only CB750 worth a nickel is the one with the sand cast crankcases. I'd sell that thing faster than it could ever go!
Here's a little tidbit for prosperity, those cases weren't sandcasted, they were cast in steel the conventional way but the castings were rough and crudely finished, thus the sandcast like surface to the cases. Honda retooled soon after and that finish went away.

P.S. When I say the conventional way, the cases were GDC, gravity cast, not HPDC, high pressure die cast, this was an outdated process by then but it's what they had and all they had until the money came in for retooling.

Last edited:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
This imotorcycle mportant to Lucky ... it fuels his rage. 20190517_091201.jpg

Master-Cylinder

Here's a little tidbit for prosperity, those cases weren't sandcasted, they were cast in steel the conventional way but the castings were rough and crudely finished, thus the sandcast like surface to the cases. Honda retooled soon after and that finish went away.

P.S. When I say the conventional way, the cases were GDC, gravity cast, not HPDC, high pressure die cast, this was an outdated process by then but it's what they had and all they had until the money came in for retooling.
Now we know.

And what was the purpose of that alternator drive on the CBX?

RZ350

BAMF+
I hated those CBX engines, although they did make me a bunch of money... cbx.jpg cbx_engine.jpg

Team222

BAMF
Now we know.

And what was the purpose of that alternator drive on the CBX?
To keep the width of the motor down as far as possible they used a jack shaft to drive the alt on one side and the ignition on the other, the same reason for the V shaped rack of your favorite carbs to work on.

I'm bringing my CBX down to your place, you'll work on it and like it.

Top Bottom