Monday, Monday...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
...so good to me...

...hopefully!

Anyway, Monday morning I'll be going under the knife to decompress and fuse two levels, with hardware, in my lower back; L2-4.

I'll be in good hands before, during and after, with my own personal Nurse PA and an RN watching over me.
The Surgeon is pretty highly rated as well but, we're not close friends or blood related.

If I get out soon enough, hopefully released on third day, I may go to Florida and lay around in the front yard of Master-Cylinder Master-Cylinder...

...but, more than likely I'll be on the beach, with the aforementioned RN to watch over me...

...depending on how I feel when I wake up in recovery.

If that doesn't happen, I'll stay near home with the Nurse PA, where at least the food will be really good.

I'm hoping to bounce back quickly enough to get the fuck out of the hospital sooner rather than later because,
that place full of sick and dying people...

...and who the Hell would want to be around all of that!?

Won't really be freaking out until they get me into the operating room but, that won't be for too long; with any help from the anesthesiologist.

Not going to lie though, it does make one stop and think but hey, I've been doing dangerous shit my whole life!

I'll just look at it like another high speed run down the back roads around here on a bike; in the evening when deer are most prone to crossing the highway...

...or sleeping with a crazy woman more than twice, or not getting vaccinated for certain viruses or refusing to wear a mask when out it public but,

I won't be asking; what is the worst that could happen? so, I suppose I'm not totally without concern or foolhardy.

There are some people and things I'd still like to see and do yet...

...in any case, it'll be whatever it's supposed to be.

I will try to post up here as soon as I can afterward, maybe Monday afternoon/evening but, probably not until early Tuesday morning.

I'm sure you'll all be on the edge of your seats, me being such an integral part of this place and all... :fu:

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The trick is getting the head spacing just right.

I'm good here or at least the adult in me is at a place of peace and acceptance.

The little kid in me however, is freaking the fuck out but,
I'm keeping him calm with promises of the fun we'll be able to engage in once we're through this challenge.

The getting recovered is going to be work but, I'm going to attack with all I have...

...so I can be ready for the next surgery, on my neck, so I can get some function back in my left arm/hand.

Change can be difficult but, it can also be liberating and even educational, if I remember to pay close attention in class.

This body has served my pretty well so far but, I'm not done with it just yet!

Kirk

BAMF
Praying for you, Wretch.

I've had C5/C6/C7 fused and plated.

If your surgery goes anything like mine did, I would suspect that your surgery will be cake, that you'll have massive pain relief from the moment you wake up from anesthesia...and that your recovery will take quite a while. I hope you have a good network of support at home, to get you through it.

Do they go in through the front, the back, or both? They went in through the front for mine.

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Praying for you, Wretch.

I've had C5/C6/C7 fused and plated.

If your surgery goes anything like mine did, I would suspect that your surgery will be cake, that you'll have massive pain relief from the moment you wake up from anesthesia...and that your recovery will take quite a while. I hope you have a good network of support at home, to get you through it.

Do they go in through the front, the back, or both? They went in through the front for mine.
Through the back on my lumbar.
Front or back on my cervical, when we get there.

Kirk

BAMF
FWIW, you may not lose any range of motion from either surgery. Our practical range of movement is often determined by how flexible our muscles and connective tissues are. I qualified for our SWAT teams after my surgery, at age 50.

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
FWIW, you may not lose any range of motion from either surgery. Our practical range of movement is often determined by how flexible our muscles and connective tissues are. I qualified for our SWAT teams after my surgery, at age 50.
There was some loss of range of motion on my first cervical surgery but, I manage just fine.
The real issue is that fusing creates a fulcrum effect and the discs that are still there get multiplied forces that they otherwise would not get.
That is a big part of my current cervical spine issues but, I was able to get a good 24 years of use after that first fusion so, it was well worth it.

I'll take it however it comes because each day is a gift, even the ones that suck!

Team222

BAMF
This
You will be amazed at how good you feel. Pain free. The hardest part is holding back on lifting and activities until you heal.
Snail nailed it, this was my experience and you will be just fine Wretch, will be thinking about you tomorrow!

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
heal up you have a lot more to do in this life.
I am planning on making the November outing, even though it'll probably just be hanging out, eating, drinking and being merry.
I can't think of a better time to be had, all things considered.

LE05BUSA

GFY
I had mine, a week ago last Monday. I overdid it a bit on Thursday, which caused my sutures to bleed a bit. On Friday, I was walking across a parking lot and stepped on a manhole cover, which proceeded to flip up like a coin (like something straight out of a cartoon) and I fell down it, tearing up my right leg, doing slightly less damage on the left, and of course, over exerting my back. I was leaking like crazy out of the dressing and down my buttcrack, so I managed to get it off, cleaned out, and a new dressing applied. It actually looks pretty good, all things considered.

Wednesday

20220723_230423.jpg

Thursday

20220728_203529.jpg

Friday, after falling down the manhole

20220729_102902.jpg

My back, as a result of the fall down the manhole and the resultant stretching of my back skin.

20220729_191347.jpg

After cleaning up the wound

20220730_133644.jpg

I have since decided that maybe it's best to just stay in bed where it's safe, for the rest of the weekend.

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I had mine, a week ago last Monday. I overdid it a bit on Thursday, which caused my sutures to bleed a bit. On Friday, I was walking across a parking lot and stepped on a manhole cover, which proceeded to flip up like a coin (like something straight out of a cartoon) and I fell down it, tearing up my right leg, doing slightly less damage on the left, and of course, over exerting my back. I was leaking like crazy out of the dressing and down my buttcrack, so I managed to get it off, cleaned out, and a new dressing applied. It actually looks pretty good, all things considered.

Wednesday

View attachment 106026

Thursday

View attachment 106027

View attachment 106028

My back, as a result of the fall down the manhole and the resultant stretching of my back skin.

View attachment 106029

View attachment 106030

I have since decided that maybe it's best to just stay in bed where it's safe, for the rest of the weekend.
Be more careful! Dammit!

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

Wednesday

View attachment 106026

Thursday

View attachment 106027

View attachment 106028

View attachment 106029

View attachment 106030

watching too much Bugs Bunny maybe?

nah.....never too much Bugs Bunny....anyway if you see and anvil falling from the sky the tiny umbrella never really helps.

Heal up my friend

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Fucking backs, shit design. And then I look at quadrupeds and wonder how their spines hold up.
Irony alert!
A bear's spine would be more suited to walking upright, much more robust, than the human spine is...

...but, they mostly walk on four legs and we walk on two.

Someone in the engineering department had a sick sense of humor.

I was going to wait for gene therapy or a spine swap with a donor bear but, I gots shit to do, now!

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
If you're like me, when having back issues, you fantasize about ripping that spine out, shaking it like an angry old man with a stick, and putting it back in without any of the "kinks". I'm convinced it would work in theory.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
If you're like me, when having back issues, you fantasize about ripping that spine out, shaking it like an angry old man with a stick, and putting it back in without any of the "kinks". I'm convinced it would work in theory.
Saw a cartoon like that once. The guy reached down the other guys throat and ripped his spinal cord out, then the guy collapsed on the floor. So, it can be done.

BigGar

high on placebo
Prayers for the most positive outcome Wretch. I'm sure it's going to go perfectly. Kimberly's been avoiding a far more simple ablation for years because it doesn't hurt all day all the time, but when it does, it's fucked.
I suppose if she waits around long enough, she'll need what you're facing now.

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Prayers for the most positive outcome Wretch. I'm sure it's going to go perfectly. Kimberly's been avoiding a far more simple ablation for years because it doesn't hurt all day all the time, but when it does, it's fucked.
I suppose if she waits around long enough, she'll need what you're facing now.
Ablation was an option that came up but, I've heard too many failures, to solve anything, to try it.
More just avoiding the inevitable to my mind or another delay tactic to drag this shit out even longer.

The VA took fucking around with wait and see to levels well beyond reasonable.

I've been doing conservative methods for about 13 years now and it hasn't gotten better, much worse in fact,
and over the past three years they decided they didn't want to give me narcotics, so I could function, anymore.
Maintenance levels, of Tramadol, not Hydrocodone or anything stronger and just gritting my teeth.
Time to make a move.
I've weighed everything out and at this point I'm saying; just fucking fix it or at least try to!

Intolerable is the keyword, when it gets to there, it's time to stop fucking around.

If dried dog turds were the cure, I'd eat them without blinking but, they aren't so...

Best of luck and prayers for Kimberly to get to a good or at least a better place with her back issues.

I don't question or doubt anyone who says it hurts anymore, bad pain sucks.

We do need a little bit of pain in life though, so that we know we're alive...

..good pain.

Thanks for the prayers and kindness shown!

Thanks to all you fuckers for just listening to me whine.
Writing it all out has helped me get to a better place with it all, like it most always does.

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
Wretch, just like Bowtie said, you deserve some much needed relief and here's hoping you get it.
The surgery should go fine......my mom was in a car accident in 1986 and had three vertebrae in her neck fused
together and here she is 36 years later aged 90 and still drives me as crazy now as she did then.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
You've been suffering for too long- hopefully this will offer the relief you deserve. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
You've been suffering for too long- hopefully this will offer the relief you deserve. Hoping for the best possible outcome.
Thanks Brian, it has been an impediment to living my life the way I'd like but, it has given me a different perspective to view from and appreciate.

I haven't had any narcotics, save for the Buprenorphine 7 day patch and Pregabilan, which have muted the my arm is on fire type pain.
The last couple of days the lower back/hips/legs have been letting me know that it's still unhappy and
the left arm/hand/thoracic/neck still has my attention mildly but, not like it has been the past two months.

Irony is that the approval for this same doctor to work on my neck came through in writing yesterday so,
once the lumbar is healed up there may well be some more cutting due...
...after we fuck around with a regiment of injections and PT.
Muscle is gone from the lower part of left forearm so,
I don't see how it's going to be anything but to go in and decompress the nerve root but, I'm not the doctor so...

Top Bottom