Model S Plaid

OP

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
My buddy told me two years or so ago that it was going to be a lot quicker than advertised. I never imagined 1.1 second. Back to the drawing board for every other exotic car manufacturer.
These are great days my friends.
I never thought they would go over 200 either!

• Red
Reactions: Red

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
And this is just the first "real" decade of development.
Imagine 20 years from now.

Heck, imagine when solar panel and battery technology gets so good that the roof of your electric car will capture enough energy to charge the amazing batteries in your car while riding to your destination.
So you can cross the USA non-stop without ever stopping at a charging station.
And it'll do 0-60MPH in 0.4 seconds with super-self-healing plastic tires that last forever and grip for days.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Heck, imagine when solar panel and battery technology gets so good that the roof of your electric car will capture enough energy to charge the amazing batteries in your car while riding to your destination.
They've been promising us that since the early '90s... :wink2:

CZLoco

They've been promising us that since the early '90s...
That's why I stipulated that "this is the first real decade of development".
Tweny+ years ago, very few engineers were interested in this.
Today it's a booming industry and people are suddenly making money with it.
Development is going to skyrocket at some point in the very near future.
And I mean skyrocket waaaaay more than the mini explosion we're experiencing now.

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
That's why I stipulated that "this is the first real decade of development".
Tweny+ years ago, very few engineers were interested in this.
Today it's a booming industry and people are suddenly making money with it.
Development is going to skyrocket at some point in the very near future.
And I mean skyrocket waaaaay more than the mini explosion we're experiencing now.
Booming how? Its still all gov't subsidized...
Do you have $50,000 to install panels, transfer switches, and the storage medium on your current residence?
Exactly how much solar power are you using? What programs have you enrolled in for solar energy?

CZLoco

Booming how? Its still all gov't subsidized...
Do you have $50,000 to install panels, transfer switches, and the storage medium on your current residence?
Exactly how much solar power are you using? What programs have you enrolled in for solar energy?
Not one damn thing until they come down in price and make it worth my while :up:

OP

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
My buddy told me two years or so ago that it was going to be a lot quicker than advertised. I never imagined 1.1 second. Back to the drawing board for every other exotic car manufacturer.
These are great days my friends.
The exotics will be going full electric soon. Right now they are trying to see what they can get from ICE. McLaren just made their last ICE in the 765 LT. Future will be hybrid and then full EV.
All of the manufacturers are making hybrids now with a few EVs. McLaren said EV only by 2025. šŸ˜¢

Terry_Schiavo

Not one damn thing until they come down in price and make it worth my while :up:
well that is how we got to $90,000 MRSP 1/4 ton pickup trucks...lol

There are still incentives out there where they install the panels for $0 and you let the companies generate power into the grid...
Usually requires about 5-8 years for a return on their investment. About $3,000/yr actually

CZLoco

well that is how we got to $90,000 MRSP 1/4 ton pickup trucks...lol

There are still incentives out there where they install the panels for $0 and you let the companies generate power into the grid...
Usually requires about 5-8 years for a return on their investment. About $3,000/yr actually
When it comes to solar panels for roofing, I'm hoping for solar panel tiles.
So instead of putting panels on top of your roof tiles, the roof tiles themselves are solar panels.
And they would be hot-swappable like a hard drive. So if one fails or gets busted by hail, you just unplug the bad solar tile and then plug the new one in its place.

Terry_Schiavo

When it comes to solar panels for roofing, I'm hoping for solar panel tiles.
So instead of putting panels on top of your roof tiles, the roof tiles themselves are solar panels.
And they would be hot-swappable like a hard drive. So if one fails or gets busted by hail, you just unplug the bad solar tile and then plug the new one in its place.
except the decking is part of the structure that needs to be waterproofed... if you think $45/sheet plywood is expensive.
The typical 300w panels available now take no more than 15 mins to swap out... as they are fastened to an aluminum frame.
So your idea has no practical use

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org

And it'll do 0-60MPH in 0.4 seconds with super-self-healing plastic tires that last forever and grip for days.
Not sure if that will ever be possible

There is only so much 'sunlight' per sq ft and even at 100% efficiency I doubt there is enough energy in it to propel a car (including all amenities like A/C, power steering, passengers etc)

That's one of the many downsides of solar power. There's no 'knob' you can turn to get the sun to pump out more power per unit area so you compensate with square footage as the primary variable to get more power

wormser77

BAMF+

That's when you see a heavy duty mileage tax come into play. You think the feds are gonna miss out on 18.5 cents every gallon pumped and state, which in washington is almost 50 cents a gallon, slip through their fingers?

Terry_Schiavo

That's when you see a heavy duty mileage tax come into play. You think the feds are gonna miss out on 18.5 cents every gallon pumped and state, which in washington is almost 50 cents a gallon, slip through their fingers?
of course not... your EV will submit your daily, weekly, or monthly usage to your State... and they will probably use the GPS data to divy up your Federal, State, & Local road usage...
just so none of the Gov'ts coffers get missed...lol. Just wait til these EVs pull up to "free" charging stations and you get a bill a few weeks later for the fill up or top off.

CZLoco

*yet*

That's one of the many downsides of solar power. There's no 'knob' you can turn to get the sun to pump out more power per unit area so you compensate with square footage as the primary variable to get more power
If there isn't enough energy then you make more efficient motors. :up:

doh

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
If there isn't enough energy then you make more efficient motors. :up:
Uh, no...let me explain...

A mass M moving at velocity V has kinetic energy .5 * M * V^2

So a 5 kg mass moving at 10 m/s (pardon the SI units, but that's what science uses) has energy 250 joules

So at 100% efficiency (no friction, wind resistance, perfect conversion of sunlight energy to forward motion energy with no loss in the drivetrain), there must be at least 250 joules in the sunlight (talking energy here not power (watts)) and I don't think there is that much in, let's a 4 by 8 sq ft area of sunlight that could be captured on some panels mounted on a car

What I'm saying here is you can pour a cup of water into a sponge, but you'll never squeeze out more than a cup of water...

If I could be arsed to I'd look up the flux of a square foot of sunlight, but I'm not that motivated

Another hint is the inefficiency of solar in terms of land use. Even at 100% efficiency there is only so much sunlight a panel can capture and that's why solar farms need massive land area

CZLoco

You're using "today physics" but should be using "tomorrow physics". :fu:

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Another thing, sunlight energy peaks at noon (obviously because that's the shortest travel through the atmosphere so it doesn't get bounced the fuck off of shit in the air as much as when coming in at at an angle)

Look at it another way...

There are only so many dicks that will fit into Schiavo's mouth at a time, and that won't change even if using 'tomorrow physics'

Hapo

Dog Boy
except the decking is part of the structure that needs to be waterproofed... if you think $45/sheet plywood is expensive.
The typical 300w panels available now take no more than 15 mins to swap out... as they are fastened to an aluminum frame.
...negative creep...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I am putting you on ignore for a while, as in ignoring your vapid shit...

...we did learn a lot aboot you from Harry...glad we never got to know you better, TBPH...

...he was a PITA, but not full of shit...

Hapo

Dog Boy
You're using "today physics" but should be using "tomorrow physics". :fu:
...you have some really Good Ideas...

...you may be nearly as big a mess as me but that does not change the fact that you have Good Ideas all the tyme...

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench

Well if you're driving east to west you can get a few more hours of driving, but once the. sun goes down, so does the solar. West to east would be bad.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that is when you might fire an up an onboard propane powered generator...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I would just run a generator into the same feeds as the solar panels...

...there should still be a plug in pigtail connection as well...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I see a cash for clunkers program coming under one of the Democratic presidential terms where they will be a big buy out.. but they first have to switch their investments from oil to electrical power investments.

Top Bottom