Mini-Excavator Buying Advice?

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Either or,
1. Equipment failure.
2. Equipment abuse.

2. Equipment abuse would likely be abnormal stress, for example with the boom and jib fully extended in a ditch and the machine falls off a berm exerting max side thrust.

There's lots of ways to fuck up.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
I mean, the operator has been doin this type of work on a daily basis for 25 yrs or more.
He cares less about it cracking and more about Kubotas willingness to do the right thing.

He swears that nobody in the industry has better customer service.
Of course the tiny fact that he buys hundreds of thousands of products from them every few years might have to do a little with that...grear customer service

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Hundreds of thousands of products every few years?

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
What the actual fuck?

Y'all can keep talking all the trash you want about this liberal run shithole I live in, but 72 and sunny 300+ days per year has got to be worth something :fu:
Snowed hard for 6+ hours today.
Police scanner was non-stop with crashes and downed power lines. Power flaked out here a few times, but not for real long.
However...
Gavin was not our governor for 18 hours and counting! So it all works out. :up::up:

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Pulled it out of the shop last night to swap buckets because I planned on working it today.
Rolled it back in and decided to clean the undercarriage on the right side like I did the left (never got around to it until last night).

First I notice there's a spot near the top roller that's a little fucked up, with the paint scraped off... looks like someone was prying on it. As I clean, the wax stuff is dripping onto the track, so I am wiping that up as I go. Then I notice the inner pads on the track look like they are coming apart / delaminating.

I stared at it for a while, and came up with this hypothesis:
For whatever reason, one of the rollers wasn't rolling as the machine was moved. That roller was tearing up the inside of the track. Somebody realized this and repaired it in some way, right or wrong. In order to repair it, they had to remove the track. When they put the track back on, they had to pry it up over the top roller, and they scratched up the paint, in the process. This might explain why it had 1.9 hours on it when they delivered to me.

Please advise if this looks like normal wear for a track on a machine that hasn't been used at all... literally has not stuck a bucket into the dirt yet.

1210.jpg

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I don't know shit about tracks or heavy equipment, but that doesn't look normal to me.
Same.
I called the dealership. Twice. The salesman is off today, so I talked to whoever answered the phone. Started to explain this deal, and he interrupted and said he will have the manager call me. An hour and a half later, no call from the manager, so I called again. Was told they are "short-staffed" today.

Left my name and number for the manager again. I assume they will deny everything, or say there's nothing wrong with the track, or say that the tracks have a 1-year warranty, so I should just keep an eye on them and make a warranty claim if they get real bad.

I am not a happy fucking camper today. Annd, I am not using the machine until after this conversation happens.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
What's the warranty on consumables like rubber tracks?

Run the piss out of them until they fly apart or just fall off?

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

The manager called me back. He says it's a wear area, and within 10 hours there won't be any rubber left at all.

I don't think this is normal wear from a roller rolling across the surface, but I don't think I have any choice at this point other than to run the machine and hope for the best.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

When I was wrapping up with the manager, I asked for his thoughts on supply chain and future price increases in the industry.
He said they're having a difficult time getting new inventory, and he thinks not just Kubota but industry-wide it probably is going to take a couple years to recover / return to normal.

As for price increases, he said they had one in January, "...and if things keep going the way they are, I don't see how we could continue without more price increases..."

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I'd find out from the manager if there is another similar machine in the area that has been used that you could look at so that you can see what they really look like after being used for a while.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I'd find out from the manager if there is another similar machine in the area that has been used that you could look at so that you can see what they really look like after being used for a while.
I've never met the guy, but I am fairly impressed. He went out to the lot while we were on the phone and texted me pictures of a machine with10 hours on it. My tracks look different... to me the surface looks torn from extreme friction... but whatever, I see where this is going and decided I'm not going to stress about it. 🤷‍♂️

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

VC, yes, a 12" bucket can clog up but usually only when you're digging wet, mucky dirt or clay, but even a 18" or 24" bucket would start to get clogged up under the same conditions.
This 12" bucket clogged like a motherfucker today. All I have is wet, mucky dirt, and clay! 🤷‍♂️
The second time it clogged, I just left it that way while I fought with roots.

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
See VC?......all that rain made it easy for stump pulling! I see you're working it from the driveway,....wait until you take it out in the wilderness, all your track worries will disappear under a layer of mud.

But seriously, your tracks are fine, run the shit outta them and if any plates pop out, warranty it. I doubt that'll happen though, I've never seen a plate come out of a rubber track until you get to the point that the only thing holding the tracks together are the cables embedded in the rubber. Then they tend to come out!

As far as the mud clogged 12" bucket, I've had 60" buckets clogged up, it's normal. Just don't make it a habit to slam the bucket teeth on the ground trying to knock the mud out......really hard on the machine. The solution is to just keep digging until you,.... one day, hit dry dirt.....eventually it'll push the mud outta there. But the inside of a bucket would be an ideal place to try out the bead maker!

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
Tip:. Leave a few 4-6" diameter tree stumps sticking out of the ground cut at an angle, about 3-5' long and you can use them as a "scratching post" to scrape the mud out of the bucket from time to time.

I take it your pressure washer is gonna get a workout.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I see you're working it from the driveway,....

Just don't make it a habit to slam the bucket teeth on the ground trying to knock the mud out......really hard on the machine. ... But the inside of a bucket would be an ideal place to try out the bead maker!

Tip:. Leave a few 4-6" diameter tree stumps sticking out of the ground cut at an angle, about 3-5' long and you can use them as a "scratching post" to scrape the mud out of the bucket from time to time.

I take it your pressure washer is gonna get a workout.
A wise man once told me to work my way into the mess, rather than just plow into the middle of it. :up:
I promise not to slam my bucket into the ground to unclog the bucket! That is my baby, and it needs to last a long time.

It just so happened, I had a few scratching posts, not by design.. just lucky. I did try to use them but I think I made the clog worse. And I basically fucked up the scratching posts in the process... as in, bent them over to the point I would have had to reposition the machine to get them back up straight.
Going to try not to get the pressure washer involved at this point. I don't want splash shit all over the machine and / or force mud and grit into places I don't want them to be.

I had the electric company install 3 light poles along my driveway last week, they showed up with that exact same kubota mini x and were really touting how good it was, had a little scraper blade on the back to fill in the trench as they went along, that to me was key to getting things as clean as they could be after the lines were buried. They all said if they were buying their own it would have to be kubota, pretty good endorsement from a crew like them, they run that thing like it aint theirs, cause it aint.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
A wise man once told me to work my way into the mess, rather than just plow into the middle of it. :up:
I promise not to slam my bucket into the ground to unclog the bucket! That is my baby, and it needs to last a long time.

It just so happened, I had a few scratching posts, not by design.. just lucky. I did try to use them but I think I made the clog worse. And I basically fucked up the scratching posts in the process... as in, bent them over to the point I would have had to reposition the machine to get them back up straight.
Going to try not to get the pressure washer involved at this point. I don't want splash shit all over the machine and / or force mud and grit into places I don't want them to be.
When my bucket gets mudded up, I fill the bucket with water when I'm done for the day. Let is soak for a few hours then dump it. 80% comes out, hit it with hose and it's clean.

Top Bottom