Mini-Excavator Buying Advice?

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
While you're polishing the outside, the inside is rusting away your engine mounts because you use dw40 instead of Corrosion Block; and one morning t your engine will fall out on the ground.

Why does dw40 smell nice? Because its evaporating.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Sounds like you get to dig some drainage trenches with it too eventually
That is on the list.
I'm going to clear the mess I have out front, see what's left, and figure out what trees to plant. I'd like to put in small swales out there to keep the trees up out of the standing water and give the water a path to run off without resorting to pipe and gravel. Other places, I plan to use pipe and gravel.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
For what? To spray on the underside of a car for corrosion protection?
Yeah, WD-40 costs 10x as much, smells better, and doesn't swell rubber seals and bushings.
Yes.

Don't spray the rubber bits.

There are some products to spray on the rubbers that extend the life of them too but, they are too expensive to spray on everything.

Don't be so lazy in just wanting to use one product to spray it all.

I thought you were frugal!?

:smile2:

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I buy WD-40 by the gallon at Home Depot. Can't remember if it's $20 or $30 a gallon, but it lasts me a couple years.

Since I do my own wrenching, it's rare that anyone other than me sees the underside of my cars. But when I get an alignment or something else I can't or don't feel like doing, I ALWAYS get comments about how clean my cars are.

I mentioned previously that I bought a gallon of Fluid Film to try out, but haven't gotten around to even opening the can yet. That shit is made for what I'm doing with WD-40, and I have heard good things about it.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
On equipment, I liked/used kerosene for years but, it's difficult to acquire and very expensive these days so, I go with farm diesel to wash parts with and it keeps very well and leaves a nice film that dust collects on.
When I need to work on something, I spray it down and the dirt in gone and no rust is present.

Preventive maintenance is your best friend when used...

...and will laugh at you from the corner, when you don't.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
On equipment, I liked/used kerosene for years but, it's difficult to acquire and very expensive these days so, I go with farm diesel to wash parts with and it keeps very well and leaves a nice film that dust collects on.
When I need to work on something, I spray it down and the dirt in gone and no rust is present.

Preventive maintenance is your best friend when used...

...and will laugh at you from the corner, when you don't.
I usually use mineral spirits for cleaning up around the garage. Works well for degreasing and light rust protection.

Snail

Hagrid, the puke bucket is plastic and protected with Armour All.

Snail

Want a lesson in corrosion control? Here you go: trolling for salmon we run deep lines 60-80 fathoms of 3/32 ss cable with a 60 lb. lead sinker (cannonball) up to the boat where the ss cable goes over a plastic troll block (pulley) down to a brass gurdy (winch) bolted to the deck (aluminum) with ss bolts.

This is the little gem that’s been devouring it’s way thru acre after acre of dense nasty shit all last week, very maintenance intensive, grease fittings all need to be hit every day as well as cutters sharpened sometimes twice a day, but man she will eat.

63FB9453-5893-4697-885A-FB7E474597EF.jpeg

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
Dude, you know I was kidding about the ceramic coating and Armor-All'ing the tracks, right? :biggrin:
The undercarriage is the first thing that's gonna be getting grinded up. Try to think of your machine as one
of these..............

Day one, a brand new beautiful, shiny hammer, looking almost like a new Lamborghini..
Day two and forever more, scratched, dinged, stained and bashed, but well used for the purpose it was intended.

All sarcasm aside, I forgot to ask which valve pattern you preferred?

Any before/after pics of some clearing, or is it still too wet and muddy?

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Dude, you know I was kidding about the ceramic coating and Armor-All'ing the tracks, right? :biggrin:
The undercarriage is the first thing that's gonna be getting grinded up.
This thing is only going to be clean once. I am laying some Bead Maker and other products on it while I can do so with out grinding rocks into the finish. This is a massive expenditure for a guy like me. I am all for protecting my investment. No Armor All on the tracks, though!
All sarcasm aside, I forgot to ask which valve pattern you preferred?

Any before/after pics of some clearing, or is it still too wet and muddy?
He unloaded it in SAE pattern. When I got in, it felt backwards, so I switched to ISO, which feels more consistent with my front-end loader. Since I haven't done any work with it yet, I can only assume I'll stick with ISO.
It has rained every day so far this week, and 4 of the next 5 have rain in the forecast as well. Since I don't have a timeline I have to live up to, I'm in no hurry to rip the shit out of my yard while it's under water. Can't even get the riding mower on my lawn right now.
I'm waiting until things dry out. There are a few small stumps I can reach from the driveway, so I may venture out and fuck with them if I start getting antsy.

RobBase

Cool, once you go ISO, you never go back!
Just for fun, once you're in it for a steady couple of hours, switch it to SAE, then try running it and you get to see what it feels like to be retarded.

Mud is the true enemy of your undercarriage, keep it dry as long as possible and only clean it off with a hose or pressure washer for maximum "bead maker longevity."

Snail

Take it mudbogging to see what she can do. Put more air in the rubbertracks for better flotation.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

switch it to SAE, then try running it and you get to see what it feels like to be retarded.
Wait, I thought SAE was for <edited>? too?!
Put more air in the rubbertracks for better flotation.
Won't that stretch the Armor All too much?

Last edited:

RobBase

Wait, I thought SAE was for fags? Retards too?!

Won't that stretch the Armor All too much?
What I meant by that was, there have been times when I'll run an excavator most of the day, then I'll have to jump in a backhoe for something and as soon as I start pulling levers I wind up smashing shit by accident because it's so hard to get that instinctual eye-hand coordination switched back and forth from one pattern to the other.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

What I meant by that was, there have been times when I'll run an excavator most of the day, then I'll have to jump in a backhoe for something and as soon as I start pulling levers I wind up smashing shit by accident because it's so hard to get that instinctual eye-hand coordination switched back and forth from one pattern to the other.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.
I understand what you mean. I'm just hoping I won't be permanently retarded in both modes!

Snail

Loading logs is stressfull enough, but when the mechanic switched the grapple open/close switches on the joysticks I had anxieties swinging and placing 40' 5 ton logs onto the trucks.

For instance, grappling 2 or 3 logs in one pick can cam open the grapples,a bit, allowing the logs to shift in the grapples, while swinging over the truck trailer; remedy of couse is to hit the close micro switch. Hit the open switch and you smash a truck and trailer.

I havent smashed one, yet.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I've watched several videos for excavator beginners, and one of the things that made sense to me pertained to positioning the excavator and the truck you're loading. Since the boom obstructs your view to the right, video said if possible you would position the truck to your left. And to avoid swinging over the cab, you would position the truck facing away from your boom swing, if possible.

Seems like common sense... is that what you guys do, Snail Snail and RobBase RobBase ?

Last edited:

Snail

No. I load from behind the truck and trailer.

RobBase

I've watched several videos for excavator beginners, and one of the things that made sense to me pertained to positioning the excavator and the truck you're loading. Since the boom obstructs your view to the right, video said if possible you would position the truck to your left. And to avoid swinging over the cab, you would position the truck facing away from your boom swing, if possible.

Seems like common sense... is that what you guys do, Snail Snail and RobBase RobBase ?
As Snail said, optimum place to load trucks is from behind and I might add, always build up a stockpile of dirt, if you have enough dirt, so you can sit up on top of the pile, like this . . .

Also correct, don't swing over the cab, especially if the truck driver has a truck like the one in the pic. And, don't make the first bucket in the truck a 4 ton lump of hard packed clay that falls 4' out of the bucket, smashes into the bed, which will in turn cause the pissed off driver who has now spilled his entire 16oz cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee all over himself, to get out of the cab and start screaming obscenities at you. Ask me how I know!

Loading a full size truck with a mini while sitting on the ground level with the truck, you will develop a good spidey-sense of how much dirt is in that truck and where you should dump more until the driver gets out of his cab, climbs the bed ladder and starts screaming obscenities at you about how you're putting too much weight up front......
Ask me how I know!

Snail

No. Its something you get used to, I've gotten pretty sensitive to the feel. The scary part is swinging logs on a slope, the weight of the log, and the boom/jib/grapple combined on the down hill swing over tracks can scramble your mental gyros.

Once an operator gets proficient on level ground and advances to logging steep slopes is like graduate school. It dont come easy, and most operators cant do it.

OP
Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Population of China > Population of "developed" nation's
1,444,xxx,xxx vs 1,120,xxx,xxx

per capita greenhouse gas emissions are far greater in the developed countries. The slant eyed gook toads have no right to challenge our supremacy.

RobBase

Snail Snail with that crazy terrain you operate on, do you have something like this in your cab? Or maybe it's for rookies?

View attachment 64628
Those inclinometers are usually only found on telescopic boom forklifts. They let the operator level the machine with his stabilizers first before he starts scoping out with the load so as not to flip the thing.

All the other dirt equipments level indicators, grading indicators are found in the ass of the operator. I always call it my "ass level."

RobBase

Population of China > Population of "developed" nation's
1,444,xxx,xxx vs 1,120,xxx,xxx

per capita greenhouse gas emissions are far greater in the developed countries. The slant eyed gook toads have no right to challenge our supremacy.
You mean our "white" supremacy?
Funny enough, I agree with you about those fucking slant eyed, gook, chinks. :biggar:

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
My buddy split the boom on his 1 yr old Kubota the other day. They re giving him a new machine since the fix would take more than 8 weeks. He s givin them 4000 bucks for the 400 hrs that are on it already to swap for a new unit. Not bad.

Can t figure out why the boom formed a split tho...

One like this.

• Red
Reactions: Red
Top Bottom