Michelin Pilot S 4S

Team222

BAMF
Has anyone else had trouble with sidewall checking and the beads sealing on their rims? I just can’t justify buying another set of these tires, I don’t track my Mustang and these 4S’s are just too temperamental.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

What else are you guy’s running on the street for a 520 HP, 3400 lb car?

OP
Team222

Team222

BAMF
I'd run the cheapest ones I could find, because I'd be roasting them at every single stop sign and traffic light I came across. I'm still 17 years old about some things. :ducmanic:
That’s what I’m going to do to these, which in a way is a shame because they only have 5k on them but are so checked I don’t trust them anymore.

Stetson

BAMF+
Seriously though, I don't do track days either, and I'm at a spot in my life where I can't afford to lose my driver's license, so I wouldn't spend money on top notch performance tires knowing I'm not going to really need them driving back and forth to work. Plus cheaper ones will break loose easier when you want to get sideways a bit. Of course, there's probably not much cheap in the size you'll need.

OP
Team222

Team222

BAMF
20’s, 285/35, $422 a pop! I don’t mind spending money on good tires but damn, 5k and useless. Some of that is my fault for not demounting the tires and storing them per the manufacture!

Stetson

BAMF+
My mustang weighs more and makes less HP but I run Firestone Firehawks in the summer with good results. 265/40-19 on all corners. They are relatively cheap and work pretty well for me.
And Firehawks, at least some of them, are made in Akron, Ohio. I always look for American tires. Really try to, anyway.

OP
Team222

Team222

BAMF
And Firehawks, at least some of them, are made in Akron, Ohio. I always look for American tires. Really try to, anyway.
I didn’t know anyone made tires in Akron anymore other that Goodyear at theTech Center, that’s were all the tires for NASCAR and F1 were made, couldn’t trust the toothless southern folk to do it right. Firestone/Bridgestone are a jap company didn’t know they still had a manufacturing plant in Akron.

Stetson

BAMF+
I didn’t know anyone made tires in Akron anymore other that Goodyear at theTech Center, that’s were all the tires for NASCAR and F1 were made, couldn’t trust the toothless southern folk to do it right. Firestone/Bridgestone are a jap company didn’t know they still had a manufacturing plant in Akron.
You likely know better than I. The announcement I read was from 2019, it said race and specialty tires. At least they have an American factory of some sort.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The name of a company is no longer an indication of where the tire is built.
Regulations are our friends here.
Theres a code on the tires sold in AmeRica informing consumers of the factory of origin's location.

Firestone labelled tires seem to have a good number of plants in AmeRica.:up:

OP
Team222

Team222

BAMF
You likely know better than I. The announcement I read was from 2019, it said race and specialty tires. At least they have an American factory of some sort.

Heard that awhile back too, something similar to what Goodyear does, research, development and the more technical type of tires. Curious on the state of completion, I’ll check it out.

Even though I grew up in Akron I don’t spend much time there, pass through mostly, it’s been hit hard by the economy and urban flight, most my friends, like me, have moved south to get away or north for employment.

OP
Team222

Team222

BAMF
When Bridgestone bought Firestone, they did make an attempt to phase things from Akron in a friendly way, moving jobs and people to the new facilities down south. They also kept the Firestone Pro Golf tournament that provided millions of dollars to the area for the week and the charities funding. But the tournament was dropped from the schedule a couple yrs ago and replaced with a pro senior tour event, still good for the local economy.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I run those on my McLaren (it came with them), but, I bought a set of winter tires and put them on new wheels after reading about the 4s in the cold. You're not even supposed to have the weight of the car on them when cold, much less drive on them.
I'm swapping the two sets between winter and summer.

Dameon

BAMF+
I don’t track my Mustang and these S4’s are just too temperamental. What else are you guy’s running on the street for a 520 HP, 3400 lb car?
I run 21" Pilot Sport 4S's on my car. 1020hp at 4700 pounds. They hold fairly well under full acceleration. On an unprepped surface I have felt a little slip. They have never seen anything below freezing (hopefully never will, although this morning was close!). I have about 5K on them now. I'm hoping/expecting 10-12K on a set. About the norm for the 21" Model S tires. They are the XL Load Range.

Not sure if I'm going back with OEM when I change them. I'll have to see what's offered when I get there.

Dameon

BAMF+
In doing further research, I learned a few things...

Summer tires set high standards for dry and wet grip, but are not designed for cold, wintry weather. They are suitable for many coupes, sedans, and sports cars. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4s is one of the rare few with a tread wear warranty of 30,000 miles.
This is interesting. I'm going to have to research what this means. If the tires are bald at 20K, do I get 10K worth of credit? Do I get a discount off a replacement set?

The Pilot Sport 4S ZP is Michelin's Max Performance Summer run-flat tire developed in conjunction with some of the most demanding vehicle manufacturers. MICHELIN® Zero Pressure (ZP) tires provide run-flat technology that allows you to drive up to 50 miles at 50 mph with a flat tire.
I had wondered if these tires were run flat, but didn't find any markings. Apparently they are "masking" them using vendor codes... ZP is what Michelin uses.

OP
Team222

Team222

BAMF
In doing further research, I learned a few things...

This is interesting. I'm going to have to research what this means. If the tires are bald at 20K, do I get 10K worth of credit? Do I get a discount off a replacement set?

I had wondered if these tires were run flat, but didn't find any markings. Apparently they are "masking" them using vendor codes... ZP is what Michelin uses.
Ya they run flat alrighty, two of them would lose enough air after a week l would have to check the SOBs before leaving the shop, a couple pounds difference in a rear tire would make a hard launch pull to the left or rt depending on the offending tire which always makes it fun when they grab that second time.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Many years ago, Firestone had a 15,000 mile Treadwear warranty. I got about 20 new tires from them for free after wearing them out in less than 2000 miles with a lot of trips to the dragstrip.
They changed their warranty a short time after that due to people like me.
I'm surprised that any manufacturer would again offer such a warranty!!!!!!

Let's go drifting!!

Top Bottom