Michael Cohen to Testify Publicly Before Congress on February 7th

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
This will be his last shot to get some time cut off his three-year prison sentence (which is set to begin in March)- it will be a public hearing, and the first big investigatory event to be held by the House since the Dems took control of it.

At a minimum, this will generate some pretty good tweets...

Cohen to testify

Cohen’s planned Feb. 7 appearance in an open session of the committee is voluntary.

He said it will give him the opportunity “to give a full and credible account of the events that have transpired.”

Trump said, “I’m not worried about it at all,” when asked about Cohen’s planned testimony, during an appearance in Texas.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I'm sure he is (at this point) as well- Mueller has pretty much proven that lying to him is futile (Cohen, Manafort, Flynn, etc), and he'll certainly be watching Cohen's testimony (though this isn't part of his investigation)- I think Cohen would rather tell the truth and possibly have his sentence cut than lie and have it extended.:wink2:

He also lied previously to protect Trump (along with himself)- now he's going to jail, and no longer cares about helping Trump- the truth is way more valuable to him at this point.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Yes, he's a known liar who will say whatever he can, at this point, to save his own ass, whether it's the truth or not.
Yes, he can say whatever he wants, and- if he lies again- he's going to be in jail for a longer period. He tried lying before, and it didn't work- now the truth (while it won't 'set him free') is the only thing that can do him any good. The answers are already known to the questions he'll be asked.

What's his advantage to lying during congressional hearings he voluntarily agreed to appear at at this point? Any information that he provides that Mueller is using in his report obviously has already been vetted- no one is going strictly by Cohen's word. There's likely no new info he's going to provide- all that might happen is some things will become public that weren't previously known, which is what the Dems want. This is a publicity stunt, but it will be an interesting one.

At any rate, you're under no obligation to believe anything he says if you don't want to.:wink2:

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
That's a cute theory.
That he's been caught lying, is going to jail for it, and the real info has since been discovered through investigatory methods (and he'll likely be asked questions to which answers are already known)? That might be 'cute' but it ain't a 'theory'.:lol:

He'll also be questioned by people on both sides of the aisle, so any issues of credibility will certainly be brought up.

Again, feel free to call BS on it- up to you- the fact you're stating he'll 'say whatever he can' at this point (even if it's a lie even though that would more likely hurt him than help him, when provable truth is the only thing that can reduce his sentence) is also a 'cute theory'.:ducmanic:

Yes, every detail is cut and dried, black and white. No gray area, absolutely no chance the liar will lie. Absolutely no chance that he could be swayed to say what the jackboots want him to say, even if they offer to cut his jail sentence, even if it's only a little white lie. You are right, as always. Your record is astounding! Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I think you need to take your meds... You've been pretty fucking crabby this week, and the above comment wasn't warranted.

My point is that his word in itself means nothing- he has to back up anything he says with actual evidence in order to have his sentence reduced- lying is pointless at this stage.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Yes, I know- I disagree due to the current circumstances (a shitload more info known now than when he first testified, meaning if he lies they'll know it and bang him with more prison time).

As I noted, Reps will question him as well- it's not like he won't get challenged.

We each think we're right- I'm not going to go after you personally (first) over a disagreement.

I already know the end game - Trump could be caught red handed colluding, he could serve jail time, and for all the Trump tards out there, they'll simply say that 1) he was good for America and 2) he was better than Hillary.

Republicans have 0 sense of accountability.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Here's my rationale for why Cohen won't lie- lying can't possibly help him at this point, but can hurt only him badly.

He's looking for leniency and a reduction in his sentence- any information he provides that might help in that regard will have to be corroborated with solid evidence, which can't be provided to support a lie- neither the Dems, Reps, or Mueller will rely solely on his word at this point.

The possible consequences of lying are either:

1. Nothing- if he tells a lie that can't be proven false (obviously it can't be corroborated as true), there will be no negative or positive consequences.
2. His lie will be proven false, which will violate his plea deal, add time to his current sentence, and bring him up on new charges.

The possible benefits of telling the truth:

1. Nothing- if he tells the truth and it can't be corroborated or isn't deemed valuable enough to make a difference, nothing changes with his current status.
2. If what he says is corroborated with evidence and judged as adding value, his sentence could possibly be reduced.

What is his best course of action during the hearing?

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
unless of course the Judge has extreme prejudice against Officers of the Court being liars! :D
There won't be a 'judge'- he's going to testify before the House Oversight Committee (and he's not under subpoena- he's testifying voluntarily, so it's unlikely he'll 'take the 5th').

im betting lots of:

"not to my recollection"
"i do not recall that"
"not to my knowledge"

and other useful tidbits repeated by most folks in this sort of situation.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I'm sure there'll be some of that, but he wants to talk.

He's not being legally compelled to testify, and he must have a pretty good idea of what he's going to be asked (and he's already been sentenced, so no 'double jeopardy' charges related to his dealings with Trump- he likely has some immunity deal against further prosecution at this point).

He's there to help himself and toss as much shit on Trump as possible without committing perjury.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
He could manufacture an elaborate lie in favor of Turnip and hope for a pardon.

Austin_F

BAMF+
What's his advantage to lying during congressional hearings he voluntarily agreed to appear at at this point?
What was hillarys advantage lying before congress about the email server and number of devices?

Liars lie.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Meanwhile I just discovered another benefit to xenforo. On android anyway. If I want to reply to just one sentence of someone's post, I don't have to quote the whole thing then spend 10 minutes deleting everything else.

Now if I just highlight the sentence, as soon as I lift my finger a [quote/reply] option pops up and it just puts the highlighted section into the reply box.

Shweet.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
What was hillarys advantage lying before congress about the email server and number of devices?

Liars lie.
And both got caught.

What happens to Cohen if he's caught lying during the next hearing? It will absolutely cost him more years in prison. His previous situation was different (lying about information that was unknown at the time, and he would have been OK if it had never been discovered- now it's all out- he's unlikely to be asked questions to which the answers aren't already known, and Mueller has approved his testimony). I'm not saying he wouldn't lie if it would help him- I'm saying he won't lie because it can't help him.

Can you dispute what I wrote in post #17? Doubt it...

Austin_F

BAMF+
And both got caught.

What happens to Cohen if he's caught lying during the next hearing? It will absolutely cost him more years in prison. His previous situation was different (lying about information that was unknown at the time, and he would have been OK if it had never been discovered- now it's all out- he's unlikely to be asked questions to which the answers aren't already known, and Mueller has approved his testimony). I'm not saying he wouldn't lie if it would help him- I'm saying he won't lie because it can't help him.

Can you dispute what I wrote in post #17? Doubt it...
i disagree. Gowdy points it out when questioning Comey, but it seems to have gone over most people's heads. No charges for lying, nothing.

Austin_F

BAMF+
im not disputing your 'post 17' but you are assuming everyone thinks logically. People lie to authorities every day. People with weed in the car let cops search. People make dumb decisions.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
i disagree. Gowdy points it out when questioning Comey, but it seems to have gone over most people's heads. No charges for lying, nothing.
That situation is entirely different.

Cohen has already been charged, has plead guilty, and is going to jail- if he violates his plea bargain by lying, he's going to be even more screwed.

Again, lying can't help Cohen at this point, but can only hurt him. Previously, yes, lying might have saved his ass, but now it won't. Also, Mueller has already approved Cohen's testimony.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
What do you think will happen to Cohen if he gets caught lying again? Will he be treated like Clinton or Comey? Obviously not. Mueller already knows what he's going to say, and certainly isn't going to let him lie at this point.

The dummy with weed in his car doesn't have a team of lawyers standing right next to him whispering in his ear, and can hope the cops don't find it- Cohen's metaphorical weed has already been discovered.

I agree that it's possible he might lie during his testimony- I don't think he will for the reasons I outlined. If he does, either Mueller, someone on the House Oversight Committee, or one of Trump's lawyers will make sure he spends extra years in jail.

I know some people don't want to believe what he's going to say, but whatever it is has already been vetted as backed up by evidence (or Mueller wouldn't have let it be disclosed in an open courtroom).

If he gets conbicted of perjury for his testimony in February, let's come back to this thread and I'll eat my words.:lol:

What do you think will happen to Cohen if he gets caught lying again?
...If he gets conbicted of perjury for his testimony in February, let's come back to this thread and I'll eat my words.:lol:
No conviction yet for his latest perjury, but it appears this guy struggles with the truth, regardless of the consequences. Who the hell could have seen THAT coming?!

Would you like some condiments?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/politics/house-criminal-referral-michael-cohen/index.html

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Was he convicted (or, as I wrote, 'conbicted') of perjury? I'm shocked he was accused...

Like I said, if he is, get back to me.:lol:

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Each one was regarding a separate story, otherwise I'd have kept it in one thread.

I'll try to post more, 'Boy, it's HOT here!' threads to keep you interested.

why do people believe that a high priced attorney with unlimited support is unable to compose a statement and respond to questions in a way that would prevent him from making his situation worse "legally"

Top Bottom