Mesh WiFi

rumble phish

BAMF+
Upgraded my antiquated WiFi set up and bought a "Mesh" WiFi system. Gotta say, so far this thing is pretty sweet.

There are many mesh set ups these days... Orbi by Netgear, Velop by Linksys, Eero by Amazon, M-Series by Meshforce and of course Google's Nest. There are others but these are some of the most widely available. Anywho... a good friend of mine suggested Netgear's Orbi set up. He's an independent networking consultant and swears by the Orbi for home use. However, at $300+ I wasn't chomping at the bit. Not that I can't afford it, but like YSR I just can't stomach paying a premium for a name brand product. So I was off to Amazon to find a deal, ala CZ!

I come across a couple of brands that I'm not familiar with... TP-Link and Meshforce. Both have multiple products that are getting 4.5+ star reviews by the hundreds, even thousands in some cases. Couple that with Amazon's generous return policy and i said "Fuck it" and picked up the Meshforce M3s Mesh WiFi system. For those of you who are wondering wtf "mesh WiFi" is, it's basically a WiFi system with matched extenders that uses one SSID for us with dual band WiFi signal (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). I'm "dumbing it down" quite a bit, well okay, a lot, but i'm sure there are a few of you who can get into the details about this type of system if y'all really wanna know how it works. In layman's terms it just gives you better interwebs.

So I get the kit in. It's three little pods. One connects directly to your broadband modem, in my case a cable modem, and the other two are placed strategically around the house to give complete signal coverage. This is crucial in larger homes, especially in two or three story units where signal degradation is common. Our place is two story and about 2300 square feet (I was much happier in a 1600 sq ft house with one floor!). About 15 minutes to set up and then another 15 minutes to get all devices connected. BAM! Smooth sailing so far, with excellent signal strength through out the house. Pulling @ 400 mbps at the modem, and each link can do 150 mbps. So far I am VERY happy with this set up. One network, no multiple SSID's, no switching, stable and fast connection. What's not to like?! If any of you are interested in a set up like this, this is the one I got off of Amazon. There's a $20 off coupon, so $159 + tax was the total.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Not a fan of tp-link.. had issues with a few access points from them.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Tp link Archer c7 here. Had it for years, no issues, lots of customization.

A23

BAMF+
I have a small house...so it might be overkill for me.

I'm getting 950mps wireless near the modem and 450mps outside on my front patio.

I do need a new Chromebook...can't decide which one to get.

Top Bottom