Mass shooting at Christchurch, New Zealand mosque

Austin_F

BAMF+
Apparently it's pretty easy to legally own a gun in NZ- even non-citizens can be licensed in some cases:

New Zealand's Ardern says gun laws will change- But what are they currently?

Firearm licenses

All gun-owners must obtain a license but most individual weapons don't have to be registered, making New Zealand one of the few countries in the world to allow this.

The minimum legal age to own firearm is 16 or 18 for military-style semi-automatic weapons (MSSA). Anyone over those ages who is considered by New Zealand Police to be "fit and proper" can, in turn, own a gun without registering it specifically.

An applicant for a firearm licence still must pass a background check which considers criminal, mental health, medical, addiction and domestic violence records.

Once approved, the license is issued for 10 years, but can be revoked at any time if police believe the person is a threat to be in possession of a firearm. Visitors to New Zealand can apply from overseas for a 1-year visitor's licence based on their existing licence in their country of residence.

It remains more likely than not that an applicant will be approved for the license. In 2017 43,509 people applied for firearms licences, and 43,321 were granted.
It sounds like their laws are similar to more relaxed states here. And since the shooter was a foreigner,. it makes you wonder why the country as a whole has very little gun crime yet has easy access to guns?

And why would Ardern think that gun laws will stop the next one? Murder is already illegal.....

If you haven't read his statement, you should take a look. He actually spelled out everything quite clearly, and what he was hoping to accomplish. Seems like by the reaction he's getting his goals are well on their way to being realized.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Here's my manifesto:

I like shotguns. I like the Lobsterfest. I don't like liberals.

Sincerely, ysr_racer

Ed

BAMF+
lol "I'm pretty much tired of everybody, and they're clearly okay with that"

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Yeah, it's sad they got killed and shit, but fuck the Muslims and all the other stupid religions, especially the Muslims.
The local Muslim leaders are calling for people to denounce acts of hate. That's rich, coming from Muslims. If they weren't such dickheads, no one would even be paying attention to them. Look at how they kill each other, let alone infidels. Millions of Muslims are leaving their shithole countries because of the fighting and killing and bringing their shit head traditions to civilized (mostly) countries.

Anal Disco

BAMF
Yeah, it's sad they got killed and shit, but fuck the Muslims and all the other stupid religions, especially the Muslims.
The local Muslim leaders are calling for people to denounce acts of hate. That's rich, coming from Muslims. If they weren't such dickheads, no one would even be paying attention to them. Look at how they kill each other, let alone infidels. Millions of Muslims are leaving their shithole countries because of the fighting and killing and bringing their shit head traditions to civilized (mostly) countries.
So....kill more Muzzys?

“Dog bites man, no story. Man bites dog, global outcry.”

Most brilliant quote I’ve seen since this thing went down, where was the global outcry when those 20 year old blond haired blue eyed Norwegian girls were getting their heads cut off on video in Morocco a few months back? Oh that’s right.

Or what about don’t blame Islam for the acts of a tiny percentage of extremists, but now white nationalism is global and Trump’s fault?

Wretch

amazingly graceful
It's a doctrine of conquest that is sold as a religion.

It's not a religion.

It is the proverbial Trojan Horse.

It is War.

That said, I truly feel sad for any innocents who have been slaughtered anywhere, regardless of political leanings or beliefs.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...and look at the gentle heart that said this shit...it is chilling...

...it is not the ravings of some right winged homophobic bigot (like Z)...

Austin_F

BAMF+
If Islam is the religion of peace, then wouldnt a Muslim extremist be extremely peaceful?

Except the shooter isn't a Republican, hell he's not even a "conservative" (a movement he claims is dead, which he maybe right about). He's not a Democrat/liberal either. By his own claims he's an "eco-facist" and aligns with a model of government like China's.

The bottom line here is that, eventually, we're all going to have to line up on one side or the other. Both ideologies simply cannot coexist in these times. The internet has all but vaporized that notion.

Drakhen

BAMF
Thanks. Ya all my googling just nets stories about how they have removed the video and "what should you do if you have seen the video". Definitely one determined fucker. Surprised he had no resistance of any sort. No police. No security.
Funny thing: I was thinking that with all the attempted scrubbing of the internet and the talk I'm seeing about "sharing the video may be an offense," or "what should you do if you have seen the video," more people may try to watch than might have normally. Telling people NOT to do something may entice some to do it. Let's be real: the people who would have been watching this before the scrubbing began have already seen it, or know how to find it.

Drakhen

BAMF
I've seen the video (at least a 16 minute version--no idea if that's the entirety of the livestream) and it wasn't particularly bad. The quality wasn't good enough to really see destruction.

The REALLY bad ones, with closeup 1080p footage, and slow motions of people being destroyed with knives or gunfire were almost entirely made by Muslims. Those are the ones I've seen enough of to leave me jaded to these videos. They just don't bug me anymore.

Would that qualify as "attendant irony?"

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
"America was built on immigrants"
Those were different times though...
I think there needs to be a serious reform on muslim immigrants...and religion "discrimination"
Those who flee from persecution need to meet certain criteria, such as practice your fucking religion at home. Mosques should be banned until they learn to pray without plotting jihad in the process.
They will have to tighten the belt on muslim immigrants for this shit to get better.
Unfortunate for them but it obviously needs to be addressed

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
You see what this little shit head did in Australia? Egged a senator, and of course had his phone at the ready.

And for some reason the link I tried to post doesn't work.

Anal Disco

BAMF
Except the shooter isn't a Republican, hell he's not even a "conservative" (a movement he claims is dead, which he maybe right about). He's not a Democrat/liberal either. By his own claims he's an "eco-facist" and aligns with a model of government like China's.
The meme isn't saying he's a Republican, but that the Republican party trying to disavow any link between the shooter's ideology and their own despite many similarities - Muslim's are violent people by nature, Muslims are invading our country, etc. He holds right-wing conservative views.

He also stated in his diary there that he's "not an Islamophobe" but then he proceeded to shoot up a mosque, so I'm going to say the reality of his views are a bit skewed.

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
The video was extremely hard to watch. Turned it off. Was just sickening.
Killing innocent folks is bullshit. Those folks didn’t deserve that no matter what- and any fuckwad saying differently is a cunt. Poor fuckers probably escaped Afghanistan or other war zones and I’m sure some witnessed similar shit with their villages getting shot up and thought they hit the fucking life lottery getting passage to NZ and a new life. Fuck me.

On another note- shows The absolute fallacy of a bump stock being deadly. This guy used aimed semiautomatic fire effectively. If he had a bump stock a lot of people would have survived. Saw at least one gun malfunction. If it was bumped up he would’ve run out of ammo and a lot of people would’ve lived. I’m just pointing something out that I suppose will be extremely unpopular and I’ll get trampled for it but just pointing out what’s obvious to me.

And ONE armed civilian could have made a difference. Try that shit in Idaho with >50% concealed carry.

But I’m sure the answer will be ban the guns.

I guess in 1000 years if the hooman race survives we will be sufficiently interbred to all be “people of shades” and maybe can get along. I just think we’re wired from natural selection to hate folks different from us and we’re generally fucked in the long run.

Anal Disco

BAMF
Everything about this incident is hilarious.

Getting slapped with an egg just as he was saying "People are getting attacked in their own..."

The palpable rage of the politician.

The return slap + punch combo.

The steady hand on the iPhone.

The 5 bros that subdued this guy.

The 1 bro that softly kicked the kid on the ground.

This remix.

2019-03-16_17h08_57.png

RollieFree

BAMF
It's a doctrine of conquest that is sold as a religion.

It's not a religion.

It is the proverbial Trojan Horse.

It is War.

That said, I truly feel sad for any innocents who have been slaughtered anywhere, regardless of political leanings or beliefs.
They ALL are. Same shit different people. If all religious people were gone, the rest of us could live more peacefully and at the very least the killing would be limited to normal human behavior like greed and jealousy.

RF

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
They ALL are. Same shit different people. If all religious people were gone, the rest of us could live more peacefully and at the very least the killing would be limited to normal human behavior like greed and jealousy.

RF
Bullshit

Most religions have moved on but Islam is stuck in the dark ages and you're naïve to think for a second that all would be well if religions just vanished

You could replace 'religion' with 'oil' in your statement and it would be a worthy substitute for your naïve argument

Anal Disco

BAMF
Bullshit

Most religions have moved on but Islam is stuck in the dark ages and you're naïve to think for a second that all would be well if religions just vanished

You could replace 'religion' with 'oil' in your statement and it would be a worthy substitute for your naïve argument
So if you replaced Islam with Christianity the middle east would suddenly be an oasis of peace and love? Catholics wouldn't be fighting Protestants? No more turf wars over the 1 true God?

You could make Teletubbies the official religion of the ME and it'd still be a colossal shit show due to extreme poverty and ignorance and lack of infrastructure.

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
So if you replaced Islam with Christianity the middle east would suddenly be an oasis of peace and love? Catholics wouldn't be fighting Protestants? No more turf wars over the 1 true God?
Most likely

You could make Teletubbies the official religion of the ME and it'd still be a colossal shit show due to extreme poverty and ignorance and lack of infrastructure.
Replacing the indigenous middle east populations with Norwegians would sure as fuck make the joint an oasis of peace and love

Of that, I have no doubt

Anal Disco

BAMF
Replacing the indigenous middle east populations with Norwegians would sure as fuck make the joint an oasis of peace and love

Of that, I have no doubt
You mean well educated citizens from a prosperous nation with low crime, excellent infrastructure and egalitarian social values would do good things elsewhere in the world?

Brilliant deduction.

Top Bottom