Ls6.0 with boost reliability?

wormser77

BAMF+
Looking at an 04 gmc 2500hd today and it has a magnacharger kit on it.
It's a pretty conservative set up at 6 pounds boost from what I've read and it sounds like the lq4 can handle it pretty easily but my question is will it shorten the life of the motor?
Truck has 70k miles on it, guy had it put on 35k miles ago to pull a 8k pound boat a little better.
Other than that it's completely stock. He's also very consistent on services and oil changes.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Looking at an 04 gmc 2500hd today and it has a magnacharger kit on it.
It's a pretty conservative set up at 6 pounds boost from what I've read and it sounds like the lq4 can handle it pretty easily but my question is will it shorten the life of the motor?
Truck has 70k miles on it, guy had it put on 35k miles ago to pull a 8k pound boat a little better.
Other than that it's completely stock. He's also very consistent on services and oil changes.
More pressure will wear consumables more quickly that naturally aspirated.

BigGar

high on placebo
In the 90's I used to drive a client's Suburban 2500 that he'd put a Whipple charger on the 454. Towed his Ferrari cross country, hauled his V-bottom back and forth to Coeur d' Alene and back a bunch of times. No real problems at all other than gas mileage that rivaled that of a yacht.

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF+
near 200 steps to install that setup... I might look at the cooling system.
Has he been using 93 octane??
I haven't actually seen the truck yet, will ask him when I go today. I have seen detailed pictures and it looks super clean and he has all the records from the last 15 years.
Here's the kit.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Does it have a way of monitoring cyl head temps?

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF+
6.0 wont even sneeze at 6psi in terms of internals....its one of the most desirable motors out there for boosted LS swap applications. 2500hd should also have the much stronger 4l80 transmission from the factory as well.

prolly needs some bigger injectors is all, but id imagine thats been done with the swap.
The kit comes with bigger injectors and a liquid to air intercooler.
Not sure if it monitors cylinder head Temps, maybe off a factory sensor?

Rocco

BAMF
Ls6.0 with boost reliability?
I would be more concerned the transmission would be the weak link, humping it with the 8000 pound tow and all

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
6 psi, you should be ok. Unless it's had crap fuel run in it.

Like Rocco said above...the trans is the weak link now.
nothing weak about the 4l80e.... its likely more reliable than the motor.

should have a factory trans cooler on it as well as a factory temp gauge on the cluster. keep it below 210 or so and itll be just fine.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
The 2600 Maggi is a nice set up.. and can get you some impressive hp with a bunch of fueling and cooling mods.

While the Whipple likes to eat blow its internals when pushed up.. at least in the V world

NORTY

BAMF
nothing weak about the 4l80e.... its likely more reliable than the motor.

should have a factory trans cooler on it as well as a factory temp gauge on the cluster. keep it below 210 or so and itll be just fine.
The 4L80 can handle 440 ft.lbs.
Now, there's a 6L90 that can handle a bit moar. (531 ft.lbs.)

If this LS2 is at 6PSI, it should make WAYYY MOAR than 440 on the ground. I'm thinkin closer to 600ish. Even with those church port heads.

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF+
These 6.0' are rated at 300hp/360ft-lb.
Magnacharger is suppose to add 100hd/125ft-lb

Reactions: Ed
OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF+
I have an '04 2500 HD, been trying to decide to build a hotter motor, or go with a blower/turbo setup .. did you drive it? How did it feel?
I only drove it for about 10 miles but it seemed to pull pretty good. Not snap neck fast or anything but it had power right off the bottom.
My ram v10 is rated at 300hp/450ft-lb and you could tell the ls had more hp.

Possibly the best engine/trans combo for that setup. Certainly the most desirable in the (truck) junkyard LS swap world. Stupid power levels being made. The supercharger itself would be my only concern. With a conservative tune and good gas I wouldn’t worry about the engine or trans at all.

RZ350

BAMF+
Should cause no issues with a proper tune and a 4l80e is stronger than a 6L90 anyday...

The thing I like least about superchargers is you have to change a pulley to adjust boost pressure, with a turbocharger you can adjust boost on the fly...

RZ350

BAMF+
I wouldn't worry about cylinder head temp too much, unless you are towing 15,000 pounds up a mountain at WOT....

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF+
So he's run premium through it since he had the blower installed.
Not sure I'm real big on having to run premium all the time.

I've also been looking at chevy 1500hd's, they run the 6.0 with the 4l80, 8 lug set up, bigger 4 wheel disc brakes and a heavier frame than the standard 1500. Basically a light 2500.

Top Bottom