Log price v. Lumber price

LuxPride

BAMF
That is one hell of a machine! Pretty cool to feed it logs and watch useable lumber come out the other end. All day all I'd be able to think about is "Bam, here's a new deck, bam here's a new bedroom, bam here's a new barn" :biggrin1a: That tool might give the most instant gratification of any other outside of a 50' sport fisher. Congrats on the new tool!

OP
Snail

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Actually, I need all I can mill this year for two, maybe three, shop builds, one shop remodel, a 100' greenouse, and enough 6x6 posts to fence a couple acres.

OP
Snail

Snail

Tree farm, i need another 10,000 douglas fir seedlings. They grow a year in the green house, then a year in the ground, then as two year olds they get planted on the logged off units.

The big timber companies control the nurseries and the only available stock is that which gets rejected by the big accounts.

OP
Snail

Snail

BiggerDano, depends on the application. Basically, lumber should be dried to the moisture content it will be exposed to when installed.

Furniture, cabinetry, structure framing, etc. Ranges from 20% down to 7 %.

Different species dry at different rates, and drying methods (kiln, air, shed,) determine how long it takes.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
BiggerDano, depends on the application. Basically, lumber should be dried to the moisture content it will be exposed to when installed.

Furniture, cabinetry, structure framing, etc. Ranges from 20% down to 7 %.

Different species dry at different rates, and drying methods (kiln, air, shed,) determine how long it takes.
So in your high-humidity area, you could use without drying for outdoor exposed lumber?

OP
Snail

Snail

I air/shed dry to 20% any lumber I use for ag. use structures. I treat or paint exposed wood.

OP
Snail

Snail

Heard third hand rumor that the big retailers, lowes, home depot. etc drove up the price by contract buying, and now have defaulted on those contracts leaving small cap retailers with overpriced inventory.

Watch for blood in the street deals while retailers try to sort things out. Prices may fluctuate randomly.

Here’s today’s haul from a local lumber yard, knotty pine tongue and groove, stair treads and closures and a couple two by’s, wonder how this compares to west coast prices.

F64FBDCB-5FB4-48E9-B46A-283F8B22A598.jpeg

OP
Snail

Snail

Thanks Vince, thats good data.

Top Bottom