Log price v. Lumber price

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Nothing another hundred billion dollars of subsidies can't fix.:up:
Gotta support that Way Of Life.

Bill Gates and soon to be ex Melinda are the largest private owners of farmland (family farmers) in the U.S. They know a great Way Of Life when they see it.

OP
Snail

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Next months log p.o. from the mill im currently selling to should be interesting. I also have a market pending for off species and chip logs with a differrnt mill. Should get the p.o. on that early this next week.

OP
Snail

Snail

Havent heard from the mill regarding July p.o. Any change in retail prices?

OP
Snail

Snail

Log price improved for doug fir logs. $50/thou. b.f. raise, other species same as last month.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
I don't know how they can claim new construction costs are only up 25% as it seems a lot more than that.
Nothing has went really went down in price, but the price of 7/16" x 4 x 8 OSB is $63 today.
$8.07 for a 2x4x8 warped stud, not a premium stud mind you, those are $8.60 and I'm betting they aren't so premium either.

OP
Snail

Snail

Have you seen any reduction in price for wood products?

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
I hear it's getting difficult to keep a catalytic converter on a car, these days, too.
Buddy of mine was here today. His brother drives a bread delivery truck.. Came in to work this morning to find that both catalytic converters were stolen off his delivery truck. and ditto for several (most?) others in the fleet. Second time in 6 months!

Later, I was told there is not a box van available for rental anywhere in Cleveland. Can't deliver bread...

No news on lumber, though. Anybody seeing worthwhile price drops?

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
How many white pines/norway spruces do i need to slice, in order to line the whole interior of my 3000 sq ft house in pine boards?

Average height is 50-60 ft + for each tree with average 18-22" diameter at the base.
I have a shit ton of them one taller and straighter than the other, so i plan on taking down a few in order to slice some boards up.

Is 3/4 thick enough? Or what would be a proper thickness for boards that would be used to line the interior with? How thin of a board can a sawmill cut?

Not sure what brand sawmill yet, but looking at one that would handle 30" or less, since most of what i see is smaller than that and would make no sense needing anything bigger

OP
Snail

Snail

CID, i need seveal thousnd feet for my own use, and my crew need lumber too. Even if we dont sell much we'll still be active cutting for ourselves.

We have two contractors lined up, and will add a few more when we have lumber.

I'm going to join the lumber grader bureau so I can grade and stamp as required.

WP, you can figure out what you need; get a scale book, or go online and download Scribner log volumn tables. Or, see what east coast bureaus

20210730_131625.jpg

20210730_131700.jpg

OP
Snail

Snail

Use this to determine how much lumber you can get from the logs, figure a band mill will typically cut 50% more thsn Scribner scale.

Mill it a strong 3/4" then plane it to 5/8 finish thickness. Be a good idea to have it milled into t&g or shiplap if you use it for paneling.

Vicious_Cycle

Think 19/32" ply will go much lower? I think I may go pick up a half dozen sheets.
That will almost guarantee it goes lower, but I can't imagine it dropping by more than $10, or so...

Vicious_Cycle

Was around 20 a sheet a few years ago when I was buying it. FYI.
Yeah, I was buying it then too. Didn't save the receipts, but I'm thinking it was $24-25 in 2019. I have half-finished projects everywhere I look, so I need to get back at it. I refused to pay $60 a sheet, or whatever it got up to this year, but I think current prices dictate I get off my ass tomorrow and go buy some plywood.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
I bought some 8 foot treated deck boards this week and 1 ten footer.
I don't think $5 something is bad for the 8 footers. The $7.99 for the 10 footer is kinda salty, but at least I get a rebate coming...In my town Lowe's and Menards are usually to the penny, Menards gives rebate...Home Depot is an hour and a half away but I can still make the local places price match them.

JustTom

BAM
I just had to buy a couple beams to set a wooden shed on.

4x6 treated, 14 feet long were $60 each.

I needed three.
I really only needed 12'6", but had to buy 14's.
I cut a foot and a half off each one, at $4.28 a foot.

OP
Snail

Snail

4x6= 2 b f./lineal ft.
4.28÷2=$2.14/b.f.

Pressure treating costs $500/1000 b.f. (.50/b.f.)
Milling costs .30/b.f.
Planing costs .30 b.f.
Grading and stamping costs .30
Log price for doug fir .775/ b.f.
Shipping and handling?

JustTom

BAM
I'm in Northern Michigan, not much Douglas fir........this is plantation pine.
There are barely any marketable trees over 100 years old left in Michigan, the old growth pines were gone by 1910.
Tourism and lumber carry Michigan, still a lot of cutting going on.
Arauco built one of the biggest particle board plants in the world a few miles from my house.(ARAUCO Grayling Particleboard Plant Houses Largest Press)

DSC03555.JPG

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Snail

Snail

Got home with mill late yesterday evening. Will post some pics later. Complicated mill, computer/elect/hydraulic operated. Fly by wire remote/movable control station.

Stand back.

OP
Snail

Snail

CID, I can save you 10% on dimensional lumber, but the cost of shipping will result in 90% loss overall. Sort of like me buying equity stock. I buy on the bounce and sell on the dip, and try to make up my losses through volume.

OP
Snail

Snail

Starting yo get the hang of it, I really like it. Hardest part for me has been learning to single task...compared to multi on the shovel.

On the shovel my hands cover several buttons, and work rotary and travel motor controls simultaneously. Swing, open grapple, orient grapple(rotate l or r) boom up, gib out, walking or turning the machine.

If you try that on the sawmill joy sticks big damage can occur. For instance if you accidenly hit the cycle trigger while the blade is cutting it does about $2k damage before emergency stop engages.

I haven't done that...but a few minor faux pas has me nervous as a whore in church.

Stand back.
20210814_200602.jpg20210814_200519.jpg

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
I'll try to get a picture. Right down the street one of those machines is sitting in front of a barn with a sign "rent this machine"
It's brand new.
Wonder if you have to do the four hours training to rent it?

OP
Snail

Snail

Mill I sell logs to buyer called me yesterday advising me of a major drop in log prices, 20-25% drop, depending on species.

CID

BAMF+
You had to know the issues with the supply line would resolve themselves at some point...... the good or bad now is this new covid ....will the busy body politic be correct when the entire world as they say becomes bogged down again from the delta ---

or

Will the delta pass and not disrupt the already recovering world's supply chains....

You've bet on the second and I concur. :D :up:

Top Bottom