Log price v. Lumber price

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Log inventory at the mill has reached max level. Price of logs is lower than 3 years ago, and dropping.

My current p. o. expires 4/30., and I'm advised prices will drop for the next month's p.o.

We finished the setting we started this month and won't be renewing contract. Basically, once again, the mill pulls the rug.

Meanwhile they keep raising retail price for their finished priducts.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
People pay the prices, they will go up until they don t anymore.
Doubt it will ever come back down in price

The other day I checked prices online, then went to the store the next day to buy,
Overnight they had raised the price of boards I wanted from $5.29 - $7.99 for no reason besides greed. (they still had the same quantity in stock from last night)
I complained and they dropped the price to $5.99/piece without batting an eye. I still refused to purchase on principal.

People aren't paying, at least I'm not. I'd have a new shed, bigger deck, more fence, and a new roof by now if lumber hadn't doubled/tripled in price.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
I got A LOT of pine in my yard.
And a local sawmill guy who mills it cheap.

Other than pressure treated I don t need to go buy from anywhere, just that right now all i need IS pressure treated. Lol

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
The other day I checked prices online, then went to the store the next day to buy,
Overnight they had raised the price of boards I wanted from $5.29 - $7.99 for no reason besides greed. (they still had the same quantity in stock from last night)
I'm no defender of price gouging, and lumber is fucking outrageous. But if I had to come up with a theory other than 'greed' for the overnight price increase, it probably would be that their cost to replace the boards they sell went up overnight.

You see the same thing constantly with gas stations. The gas in the storage tank hasn't moved, but the price has.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Meanwhile they keep raising retail price for their finished priducts.
And from what I've seen, the quality of the finished product continues to fall. No two boards the same width, thickness, or finish.

At least, that's how it was the last time I bought lumber. I didn't buy any during the scamdemic, and this year I'm protesting the prices. I could use a bunch of lumber. But my shop is dried-in, and I can live without more lumber for now.

I noticed one local company building wooden privacy fences using metal posts. The kind for chain link fencing.
These are the sign of the times.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
its impressive, even the home builders today are altering contracts to auto include price increases to cover unexpected/additional lumber costs!

still building as fast as they can too.
And they're the ones driving the price increases. The sellers are making up for a lackluster year last year.

It's just like the price of diesel being higher than regular gasoline...the truckers need it, and the trucking companies just pay it and pass the cost on in the price of hauling the freight.

The real reason they're charging so much for lumber and diesel ?? Because they can !!

I'm no defender of price gouging, and lumber is fucking outrageous. But if I had to come up with a theory other than 'greed' for the overnight price increase, it probably would be that their cost to replace the boards they sell went up overnight.

You see the same thing constantly with gas stations. The gas in the storage tank hasn't moved, but the price has.
They figured out they are the only game in town. I'm contemplating driving an hour to save $90.

OP
Snail

Snail

The fault lies with those that supported the endangered species act, and the mismanagement of our Federal timber lands.

The competition for market was narrowed down fast when Federal timber was no longer available for independent mills.

The major timber companies with their own timber, and no independent mills to compete against, they control the harvest, the manufacture, the distribution, and the pricing.

The fault lies with those that supported the endangered species act, and the mismanagement of our Federal timber lands.

The competition for market was narrowed down fast when Federal timber was no longer available for independent mills.

The major timber companies with their own timber, and no independent mills to compete against, they control the harvest, the manufacture, the distribution, and the pricing.
That sounds amazingly close to a monopoly.

Well there is always fishing. :billyv:

OP
Snail

Snail

Commercial fishing is dead for me. The fisheries I did won't support the expense of operation, and, my boat is obsolete because of that. My boat is dry docked.

OP
Snail

Snail

Im investing $70K in a portable sawmill with the intention of sawing my timber instead of selling logs to the mill. Ill cut their price on framing lumber, and take the white wood to the pressure treater and market that as well.

Rocco

BAM
Im investing $70K in a portable sawmill with the intention of sawing my timber instead of selling logs to the mill. Ill cut their price on framing lumber, and take the white wood to the pressure treater and market that as well.

Our country is in the mess it is, because we have lost too many people like you, people that have the will to kick the money grabbers right in the face. :up:

-

RollieFree

BAMF
I bought a single sheet of 3/4” plywood with one good side last week at Home Depot. $77. I about shit myself. You cannot buy concrete here right now unless you are a developer. Fucking invasion going on here.
RF

OP
Snail

Snail

The mill (SOCM) log buyer and I met Wed., their yard is plugged with logs and they dont want to buy any more at this time.

I suggested they lower their price and sell more product.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Are you going to dry it too?

• Red
Reactions: Red

Billy V

BAMF
I thought you bought that machine a few months ago.. are they holding up delivery?
- local lumber prices around here are crazy, and most of the time the shelves are empty.

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
I'm thankful the rehab project I took on did not require much in the way of wood. Still, $500 for lumber doesn't go far at HD
HD is a retailer... if youre a contractor buying your materials from them well... its either for convenience or pure stupidity. Actual lumber suppliers are much cheaper if you buy bulk quantities.

RobBase

Flippin Swiss fan of Tay-Tay
The local Lowes has their 7/16" OSB at $43 a sheet. Nobody is buying it.
Outside in their loading area they also had over 50 hacks of 7/16" OSB stacked up all over the place.

Something is going on.

I scored some treated 4x4x8 at Menards on sale for under $15 before rebate which I thought was fair.
They didn't sell many, then they took them off sale ($16.69 now) and they really aren't selling many.
They have 1585 of them in stock according to their website.

OP
Snail

Snail

Billy V, i put a deposit down months ago. I checked with another brand and they were out past september.

I thought they had a contractor sales counter where you all get a discount plus no sales tax?
All u need is a tax ID number/business license.
HD/Lowe's charge sales tax unless you're a nonprofit. And those contractor desks only offer discounts on bulk products, I think anyone can sign up if you're buying high volume (not me! Phew) - I don't think it asked for my EIN on the sign up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom