Let’s talk about gun safes...

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Getting ready to upgrade,

gun guys, what do y’all like/have? I’m guessing if you have a gun safe (that takes rifles) there are other items in the safe as well. I’m not a fan of the digital combo stuff I’d just as soon have a rotary dial. Give your opinions....

this is a touchy subject on a public forum and I don’t expect too much detailed info on what you have.

kawachan

BAMF
I have a few Liberty. All of mine have a dial. The new ones have slotted engagement surface area instead of the round rods most of the older ones have. Look at fire rating and how many minutes at what degrees. You can buy a cheap one 30 mins @ 1000 degrees or one that will be 90 mins @ 1200 degrees. Some of the Bass Pro and Cabelas ones are Liberty.

I have a few Fat Boy Jr's. My buddy has a Fat Boy. I also have a 24 sq ft, a 60 sq ft, and one of the Cabela's ones.

rumble phish

BAMF+
^^^ I'm a Liberty guy too :up:

After the break in at my mother-in-law's house where they tried to break open a Liberty Centurion 16 gun unsuccessfully, I'm even more sold on'em.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
keep an eye on academy website for gun safes, they occasionally blow out some of their larger ones off the floor for stupid low prices. I got a huge sports afield 60gun safe for half off one time.

RobBase

BAMF
Here's more research.
The long black prybar is the same one we've used for years for stripping concrete forms and other construction purposes. I have even more badass prybars so you know others do also.

• Red
Reactions: Red

RobBase

BAMF
Once you get even the tiniest gap in the door / jamb gap, it's done......you can start driving wedges in if you want until the big bar gets in.
If you ask me the door and front face jamb should be minimum 1/4" AR 500 steel with no more than a 1/16" gap.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
As far as brand, I've always had Fort Knox and wouldn't hesitate to go that direction again.

I always custom ordered mine with the most fireproofing available (over 1.5 hours), stainless cut liners, etc, etc. If your home or garage burns down with the safe inside, the heat will soak through crappier safes and destroy any guns within. And get the biggest one any company makes. Besides firearms, store your important docs inside, coins, precious metals (including some brass and copper), etc.

BigGar

high on placebo
I’m a fan of American Security.
Talked to a guy at a locksmith / key store today. "Mr. Keyman". The place had safes all over inside. BIG ones. I asked if they sold new as well as used safes. He replied, "we don't sell safes at all here". He then said something about insurance and such being so expensive that it's necessary to keep things very secure. That's when I asked him, "no offense, but what is so valuable in a key store?" He simply replied, "I can't say".

So what the fuck does a little key store need with fifteen large to XXL sized, some two door, 6-7 foot tall fucking safes inside?
He did say that as far as gun safes go, the only ones he approved of were AmSec, which is I think what you have.

He was an odd guy. greasy nerd hair and didn't look a day over 25.

Husqy

BAM
When I was looking at them in person, the Amsec felt more solid than others I compared against. I’m under no illusions that though time and proper tools someone will be inside of it but hope it will pose enough of a challenge to make them pass it up for something easier. That’s one of the biggest ones they make , 71x50.

No idea what a store would need safes like that for but certainly is interesting to think about.

Stetson

BAMF+
So what the fuck does a little key store need with fifteen large to XXL sized, some two door, 6-7 foot tall fucking safes inside?
That's where they put the people that ask too many fucking questions about why they need safes.

Or he could be making two copies of every key he cuts, palming one to come rob your house later, and then he'll keep all your best shit in one of them.

WVMadMax

BAMF
I bought a Superior Safe Co. Master 50, 1500°F for 90 minutes, weighs about 1250# empty, installed in a closet. Maybe not the best, but I think it's probably pretty good.

LE05BUSA

GFY
Seriously, though, watch the government auction sites as well as eBay and Craigslist because there are quite often freestanding fire rated bank vaults from small banks that are in the 72-84"H and 48-60"W and 30-42"D size range for very good prices...$300-$1500. The caveat here is moving them.

You could always acquire this home away from home, too. 😆

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
dang, now why'd you go and show me that....I want it for $18,000 bucks :lol:

Seriously, though, watch the government auction sites as well as eBay and Craigslist because there are quite often freestanding fire rated bank vaults from small banks that are in the 72-84"H and 48-60"W and 30-42"D size range for very good prices...$300-$1500. The caveat here is moving them.

RobBase

BAMF
Last time I built a bank vault, it went in first then the building went up around it. It was 12' x 12' x 8' tall w/ 12" thick concrete walls that had 3 alternating layers of #4 rebar @ 4" o.c. horizontally and vertically. You could barely see through the rebar mats.
Oh yeah, the vault door guys put the door on it with a crane, again, before the rest of the building went up around it.

WVMadMax

BAMF
Back in the 90's I was going to rent an office in an older, but nice bldg. The suite I looked at had a very nice walk in vault with about a 6 ft wide by 8 ft tall door that felt like it weighed a 1000#. It was formerly a rail road company office. Unfortunately, the owners decided not to rent it out.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
is a place here that used to be an old bank in downtown st aug, company bought it and turned it into a venue type event...converted the vault area into a bar and kept the huge door intact etc. its pretty cool! went to a wedding there last year.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Get the biggest heaviest safe you can afford. Pros can still get in, but it stops the amateurs from stealing your shit.

Here's a post about a guy that turned a former bank (with vault) into a butcher shop. Pretty neat story.

XXFirefighter

With a Damn Big Hose
Talked to a guy at a locksmith / key store today. "Mr. Keyman". The place had safes all over inside. BIG ones. I asked if they sold new as well as used safes. He replied, "we don't sell safes at all here". He then said something about insurance and such being so expensive that it's necessary to keep things very secure. That's when I asked him, "no offense, but what is so valuable in a key store?" He simply replied, "I can't say".

He did say that as far as gun safes go, the only ones he approved of were AmSec, which is I think what you have.

He was an odd guy. greasy nerd hair and didn't look a day over 25.
Man... makes you wonder now... Some underground shit going on.

Austin_F

BAMF+
That's a great story.

But the line about the wife's birthday is so out of place lol

Top Bottom