leave it to the Eyetalions to clean up NYC's rat problem...

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Take that, rat! New York turns to alcohol in rodent fight

New York (AFP) - New York unveiled its latest weapon Thursday in the city's long-running war against rats -- alcohol.
Rodents are one of the more unappealing aspects of life in America's largest metropolis, often seen scurrying between subway tracks and sniffing around garbage bags.
City officials have spent millions of dollars trying to cull the rat population over the years, deploying everything from rodent birth control to vermin-proof trash cans.
Now they say they have finally found a solution: a machine that attracts rats with bait and then triggers a trap door that drops them into a pool of alcohol-based liquid.
"It knocks them out and they drown eventually," Anthony Giaquinto, the president of Rat Trap Inc., which imports the devices from Italy, told reporters.
The machine -- called Ekomille -- is battery operated and resembles a cabinet around two-feet high.
Rats climb a ladder to eat the bait. A sensor deploys a trip lever which plunges them into a tray that can hold 80 rat carcasses.
A total of 107 furry rodents met their end this way during a month-long trial around the grounds of the borough hall in Brooklyn, officials said.
During a rather macabre demonstration for journalists outside the building Thursday, sanitation workers opened the container to reveal several dead rats floating in a green liquid.
"It's humane and environmentally friendly," said Borough President Eric Adams.
He declared the trial a success and said it would be rolled out in some of Brooklyn's most rat-infected districts.
New York's rats are notorious and legend has it that there are as many rats as humans -- more than eight million -- although that figure has been debunked as a myth by a local statistician.
Thousands of New Yorkers ring a health department help line every year with rat-complaints. Adams said New York was gripped by a rat "crisis," adding that families were being "traumatized" by the vermin.
In July 2017, the city announced a $32 million program to cull thousands of rodents by installing rat-resistant trash cans tightening garbage rules. It also trialed a liquid bait that made rats infertile.
English novelist Charles Dickens complained about rodents when he visited in 1842. A rat shot to internet stardom in 2015 when it was filmed walking down the stairs of a subway station with a slice of pizza in its mouth.

Z

BAMF+
If,,, :roll: da quality,, is anything like,,,,, Fiat.. :neutral:

Dey won't,,,,, last,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a week........ :smashtard:

Drakhen

BAMF
how is drowning humanE exactly?
FIFY, and I was wondering the same thing. If you had extra kittens or puppies and drowned them, people would be freaking the fuck out. If we suggested drowning as a form of capital punishment, people would freak.

Sewer rats though? Drown 'em! It's cool.

Not that I care how they die, but yeah, the word "humane" shouldn't apply.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I watched a guy drown an oppossum a long time ago. Caught it in a cage then placed the cage with the poor bastid into a pond and let him drown. I am not a big oppossum fan, but i deeply regret not doing anything about it. I have a family of oppossums at my parents house in CT, they live in the wooded part of the back yard somewhere. They are the fattest oppossums around because i feed them feta on a regular basis...trying to make up for the one i let die.

I've killed a lot of animals, consumed most of what i've killed, but i think if killing needs done, it should be done quickly and in the most humane way possible, regardless of the animal

Stetson

BAMF
At FOB Marez, the fobbits caught feral cats in those hav-a-hart traps, and then dropped it in a drum full of water, so I guess the Army was at least tacitly OK with it.

Drakhen

BAMF
It says the traps are filled with alcohol so I would assume they are pretty drunk before they drown, therefore they don't feel it.
The only problem is the human drunks ransacking the traps for a drink.
Is it actually ethanol, or is it one of the strictly poisonous alcohols?

Vegas12

BAMF+
I have a gaggle (herd?? school?? pod??....ok, shitload) of the cutest little ground squirrels running around the yard.

They ate a LOT of my nectarines....still had plenty left to make smoothies, so I didn't care too much.

But I'm reading they breed like cockroaches and I don't want them nesting under car hoods or getting into the conex and screwing up other stuff.

So I bought 2 humane traps and figured I'd pick 'em off 2 at a time and then release them into vacant areas a few miles away.

So every morning for 3-4 days the trap is sprung but empty and the fruit is 1/2 eaten.

Guessing the rabbits are getting in and the door won't close and they back on out. Don't want to use a bigger trap because I really don't want to catch any rabbits.

I hate to do it, but I'm thinking about that bucket death trap....I just don't want to kill them.

I suppose one chewed up wiring harness or my other fruit trees start getting wiped out may change my mine.

nomad

BAMF
> if killing needs done, it should be done quickly and in the most humane way possible, regardless of the animal
All creatures are capable of experiencing suffering. Why is it we only empathize with the ones we like?
being forced to swim in a bucket for hours until exhaustion and then slowly drowning is a shameful torture to any animal
Animals only exist if they serve a purpose in the bio chain. From Elephants to bacteria. If they no longer serve a purpose, their population dwindles naturally.
Arguably, it is the human infestation in New York that needs addressing. The rats are just a consequence of that

RobBase

BAMF
After further reading it turns out, they fall into a solution of alcohol and vinegar which is supposed to make them unconscious almost instantly, thus the "humane" description.

If you want to start culling or sterilizing the human population, I'd suggest starting with the extreme left first, so as to not make hypocrites outta them. After all, climate change and shit.......

Wretch

amazingly graceful
They shock the chickens as they drown them and then cut their throats for humane dispatching before processing.

The Movie "Cloud Atlas" had a similar method but used a knocking bolt, kind of like the one used in "No Country for Old Men" to put the meat down.

There are lots of ways to do it as long as you have some sort of assembly line to process the meat...

...wait, we do want to save/use the meat, right?

Mr Lucky

toboggan oiler
I watched a guy drown an oppossum a long time ago. Caught it in a cage then placed the cage with the poor bastid into a pond and let him drown. I am not a big oppossum fan, but i deeply regret not doing anything about it. I have a family of oppossums at my parents house in CT, they live in the wooded part of the back yard somewhere. They are the fattest oppossums around because i feed them feta on a regular basis...trying to make up for the one i let die.

I've killed a lot of animals, consumed most of what i've killed, but i think if killing needs done, it should be done quickly and in the most humane way possible, regardless of the animal
Apparently they are very good at keeping tick populations down...

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
Yeah. Mixed feelings on this. Living at parent's house for now while the Evil One squats in my home that I owned prior to marriage that I stupidly placed her on title a few years into marriage.

Now you have to understand. I've moved from what has been claimed is the SAFEST NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE USA (so probably the world), Aliso Viejo, CA to my ancestral home where I grew up in Santa Ana. Santa Ana, famous for a huge homeless population that infested the Santa Ana River Trail about a mile from the house. I suppose they finally were allowed to evict the scumbags after judges forced the evicters to offer a month's stay at a quality hotel not just a fleabag motel plus healthcare and other gib me dats (gibs). As expected, after a month, they were back to their old habits, were evicted, and now we have thousands of zombies wandering the streets or weaving around on rickety bikes.

End result- a veritable swarm of backpack wearing vagrants casing the neighborhood, endlessly trying car door handles, ransacking mailboxes, and lord have mercy if you have the stupidity to have UPS deliver a package to your doorstep instead of a drop box. My RING neighborhood app is my social media of choice and it's full of videos saying, "Did you see this man who stole my package?" or "look out for her, she shot up on my porch and shit in my flowerbed."

I grew up here in the Barrio and had no idea there were actually places in the USA that had only white people living there (I assumed everywhere had whites as a minority since that was the status quo growing up). Not to say that places with only white folks in them can't be shitholes, but it's somewhat of a prerequisite I've found.

So, going from the SAFEST NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE WORLD back to the 'hood- bit of an adjustment. I have to say, though, the people in my neighborhood are lovely. They have to be- it's a great example of going from a "high-trust" environment in Aliso Viejo where law enforcement is efficient; can be trusted (i.e isn't corrupt or too busy to deal with you), and general law and order is the norm. Anything deviating from that will result in law enforcement involvement so crime is unusually low and schools are great, etc.

Now living in a "low-trust" environment. A lot of it stems from my Mexican/Central American neighbors growing up NOT being able to trust the government or local LE to have their best interests in mind. Corruption is rife. lots of property crimes and assaults. They don't trust the cops. A lot of em are illegals and don't wanna call THE MAN anyway. As a result, people with common interests band together and communicate to stay safe. Not unlike a band of meerkats. It's unusual for me to go outside the house and not have a conversation with a neighbor about something. My left neighbor will go into my side yard, grab my trash cans, and set them out for me if I forget. He will then put them away. He also narks on me to my mother all the time, which is a pain in the ass. Like last night- mom calls. "What the fuck are you bringing into my house?" I'd finally found a walking foot sewing machine... unfortunately it's an industrial one and massive and 300# and while I didn't bring it in via front door (avoiding the Ring doorbell that she has remote access to and therefore would have seen me doing it), my neighbors certainly saw me putting it in the garage and the human equivalent of the Ring doorbell was ultimately much more efficient in securing my mother's home against me stashing industrial machinery in it.

So, the first night there I'm a bit freaked out. Alone, pissed off my attorney didn't file an appeal, and worn out after rushing to grab my shit to beat a midnight deadline. I get a knock on the door at 9PM. "Oh fuck. Here we go." I've never had a knock on a door at 9 PM. And knowing horror movies, they aren't ever good. Usually a serial killer stating they've had an accident and need to use my phone and once in the house they tie me up, drop me in a subterranean cavern and have me put lotion on my skin. Yeah, fuck that.

So I'm like- WTF. Do I open the door? Oh yeah, I'm in my tightie whities, too. No time to run to the bedroom and put on shorts. Fuck. Shotgun is in bedroom, too. But if I answer door with shotgun or machete in hand, might not look good for me. So I take a chance and crack the door.

It's Manuel down the street. "Hola, Amigo. Jew lef you garaj door abierto and the raccoons are in there." WTF? first off, leaving the garage door open could have been catastrophic since the zombies would have cleaned me out. Thank God he said something cos I would have gone to bed with it wide open. Then I'm like, uh, wut? Raccoons?

Yeah. Apparently there is a family of 5-6 raccoons living in the storm drain at the foot of my driveway. They are pretty famous in the neighborhood since they are sighted to the delight of most on the street. They ascend from the drain at dusk, climb up my tree in the front yard to gain access to my roof, and travel along the roofs and fence tops to eat from open trashcans and cat food dishes left out. And if the garage door is open, they ransack it, pissing and shitting as they go. Apparently this has happened in the past (maybe to Manuel but certainly the historical lore has it that my house has been invaded before) and he is keen to make sure I'm not victimized again.

Ok, so I check them out. Big fucker about 30 pounds is facing me, fearless, at the edge of the roof. His squeeze is next to him and one juvenile too. I hear a mild hiss and an even bigger one is 5 feet away from me on the ground, advancing. Shit, thinks me. Do I blow my cover, grab the suppressed .22 or better yet, .25 caliber hunting air rifles and end this? Fucking things REEKED of piss. I had to back away and let them scamper away.

I discuss with Manuel, who doesn't appreciate how close he had come to being "Bidened" a few minutes ago (you know, 2 shots through the front door with a shotgun). He lets me know that they are famous and loved and no, it would not be appreciated if they were to just disappear one day.

So, very long story short, I have the equivalent of massive rats living in/near my home. After having met the whole family, with the cutest little kits you've ever seen, I couldn't hurt them. If someone drowned them, I'd fucking kill them. Assholes who drown mammals should be killed. that's just fucked up in my opinion. I'd much rather see the homeless population thrown into giant vats of alcohol and allowed to become intoxicated and drowned. There would be huge utility in that. And their suffering would be easy to dismiss having been the victim of multiple property crimes.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
You did the same thing whitepower does when his parents have to shelter him. YOUR house has a not quite ex in it. Your parents house has a family of raccoons. You're likelier to remain in the will if you remember that. :timeout:

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Yeah. Mixed feelings on this. Living at parent's house for now while the Evil One squats in my home that I owned prior to marriage that I stupidly placed her on title a few years into marriage.

Now you have to understand. I've moved from what has been claimed is the SAFEST NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE USA (so probably the world), Aliso Viejo, CA to my ancestral home where I grew up in Santa Ana. Santa Ana, famous for a huge homeless population that infested the Santa Ana River Trail about a mile from the house. I suppose they finally were allowed to evict the scumbags after judges forced the evicters to offer a month's stay at a quality hotel not just a fleabag motel plus healthcare and other gib me dats (gibs). As expected, after a month, they were back to their old habits, were evicted, and now we have thousands of zombies wandering the streets or weaving around on rickety bikes.

End result- a veritable swarm of backpack wearing vagrants casing the neighborhood, endlessly trying car door handles, ransacking mailboxes, and lord have mercy if you have the stupidity to have UPS deliver a package to your doorstep instead of a drop box. My RING neighborhood app is my social media of choice and it's full of videos saying, "Did you see this man who stole my package?" or "look out for her, she shot up on my porch and shit in my flowerbed."

I grew up here in the Barrio and had no idea there were actually places in the USA that had only white people living there (I assumed everywhere had whites as a minority since that was the status quo growing up). Not to say that places with only white folks in them can't be shitholes, but it's somewhat of a prerequisite I've found.

So, going from the SAFEST NEIGHBORHOOD IN THE WORLD back to the 'hood- bit of an adjustment. I have to say, though, the people in my neighborhood are lovely. They have to be- it's a great example of going from a "high-trust" environment in Aliso Viejo where law enforcement is efficient; can be trusted (i.e isn't corrupt or too busy to deal with you), and general law and order is the norm. Anything deviating from that will result in law enforcement involvement so crime is unusually low and schools are great, etc.

Now living in a "low-trust" environment. A lot of it stems from my Mexican/Central American neighbors growing up NOT being able to trust the government or local LE to have their best interests in mind. Corruption is rife. lots of property crimes and assaults. They don't trust the cops. A lot of em are illegals and don't wanna call THE MAN anyway. As a result, people with common interests band together and communicate to stay safe. Not unlike a band of meerkats. It's unusual for me to go outside the house and not have a conversation with a neighbor about something. My left neighbor will go into my side yard, grab my trash cans, and set them out for me if I forget. He will then put them away. He also narks on me to my mother all the time, which is a pain in the ass. Like last night- mom calls. "What the fuck are you bringing into my house?" I'd finally found a walking foot sewing machine... unfortunately it's an industrial one and massive and 300# and while I didn't bring it in via front door (avoiding the Ring doorbell that she has remote access to and therefore would have seen me doing it), my neighbors certainly saw me putting it in the garage and the human equivalent of the Ring doorbell was ultimately much more efficient in securing my mother's home against me stashing industrial machinery in it.

So, the first night there I'm a bit freaked out. Alone, pissed off my attorney didn't file an appeal, and worn out after rushing to grab my shit to beat a midnight deadline. I get a knock on the door at 9PM. "Oh fuck. Here we go." I've never had a knock on a door at 9 PM. And knowing horror movies, they aren't ever good. Usually a serial killer stating they've had an accident and need to use my phone and once in the house they tie me up, drop me in a subterranean cavern and have me put lotion on my skin. Yeah, fuck that.

So I'm like- WTF. Do I open the door? Oh yeah, I'm in my tightie whities, too. No time to run to the bedroom and put on shorts. Fuck. Shotgun is in bedroom, too. But if I answer door with shotgun or machete in hand, might not look good for me. So I take a chance and crack the door.

It's Manuel down the street. "Hola, Amigo. Jew lef you garaj door abierto and the raccoons are in there." WTF? first off, leaving the garage door open could have been catastrophic since the zombies would have cleaned me out. Thank God he said something cos I would have gone to bed with it wide open. Then I'm like, uh, wut? Raccoons?

Yeah. Apparently there is a family of 5-6 raccoons living in the storm drain at the foot of my driveway. They are pretty famous in the neighborhood since they are sighted to the delight of most on the street. They ascend from the drain at dusk, climb up my tree in the front yard to gain access to my roof, and travel along the roofs and fence tops to eat from open trashcans and cat food dishes left out. And if the garage door is open, they ransack it, pissing and shitting as they go. Apparently this has happened in the past (maybe to Manuel but certainly the historical lore has it that my house has been invaded before) and he is keen to make sure I'm not victimized again.

Ok, so I check them out. Big fucker about 30 pounds is facing me, fearless, at the edge of the roof. His squeeze is next to him and one juvenile too. I hear a mild hiss and an even bigger one is 5 feet away from me on the ground, advancing. Shit, thinks me. Do I blow my cover, grab the suppressed .22 or better yet, .25 caliber hunting air rifles and end this? Fucking things REEKED of piss. I had to back away and let them scamper away.

I discuss with Manuel, who doesn't appreciate how close he had come to being "Bidened" a few minutes ago (you know, 2 shots through the front door with a shotgun). He lets me know that they are famous and loved and no, it would not be appreciated if they were to just disappear one day.

So, very long story short, I have the equivalent of massive rats living in/near my home. After having met the whole family, with the cutest little kits you've ever seen, I couldn't hurt them. If someone drowned them, I'd fucking kill them. Assholes who drown mammals should be killed. that's just fucked up in my opinion. I'd much rather see the homeless population thrown into giant vats of alcohol and allowed to become intoxicated and drowned. There would be huge utility in that. And their suffering would be easy to dismiss having been the victim of multiple property crimes.
You could just put up a couple dishes with some good dry food and they won t need to damage anything or get in, if there s food left out for them.

Not like you re gonna outsmart them...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I have 7 raccoons that live in the yard. The dog doesn't appreciate them much but for the last five years they have avoided each other pretty well. I built them a shelter and in the winter months will leave some food to keep them fat and healthy.. my neighbor has a big grape vine that they feast on these last few weeks. The fights that go on every know and then are fierce sounding but I never seen blood anywhere. As long as they dont try to get in the house or fuck with me or the dog they can stay...

Top Bottom