Lawn mowers. You know you got one!

BigGar

high on placebo
I grew up on a Case garden tractor. Mowed our lawn and all manner of neighbors lawns with that scalping motherfucker. Plowed driveways all winter. I think it was a 14 horsepower with the hydrostatic drive. We had a little Simplicity before we got the Case. This was back in the early to mid-seventies

RobBase

BAMF
I have to ask... why were some joints and corners not taped at all and others were finished and sanded? I was a drywall taper for 3 years. I notice that shit. ;)
I keep all my mud in the garage, so everytime my pan was running low and I needed more, I'd take the leftovers and keep hitting that outside corner until the whole corner was done, then of course I had to sand it to see if it was perfectly square.
As an ex-finisher, wouldn't you agree that the most enjoyable thing to mud up is a piece of corner bead?

VFR Rider

BAMF
Pretty much anything Honda makes is good quality.

When the wife and I moved into our house together I bought a Craftsman garden tractor at Sears for $2000. I figured it would last me around six or seven years. Ended up using it for sixteen years with no issues at all which surprised the heck out of me. It had a Kholer twin cylinder motor. Sold the damn thing for $400.

Bought a Cub Cadet zero turn with a Kawasaki V-twin three years ago and I hope it lasts just as long.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Pretty much anything Honda makes is good quality.

When the wife and I moved into our house together I bought a Craftsman garden tractor at Sears for $2000. I figured it would last me around six or seven years. Ended up using it for sixteen years with no issues at all which surprised the heck out of me. It had a Kholer twin cylinder motor. Sold the damn thing for $400.

Bought a Cub Cadet zero turn with a Kawasaki V-twin three years ago and I hope it lasts just as long.
The Garden Series are/were top quality.
$2800.00 or there about.
Kohler Twin with hydraulic liters.
I've had mine, 54" deck, 15 years and it still works just fine.
One battery replaced, one drive belt, several blades replaced after sharpening, one spindle after striking a hidden corner marker at my aunt's place.
I pull a 44" Swisher finish mower, off center with the Craftsman for a wider swath, about 80" wide.

Chipper Vac Pro-Series when needed.
It's a beast that fills up quickly with leaves, 2" branches not as quickly.

Take care of the fucking things and they'll last a long time.

The Swisher has had more issues than anything but, when I started using it I pulled it behind a Suzuki four wheeler so, it got some abuse early on.

JustTom

BAM
I've got a 12yo Toro Timecutter zero turn, bottom of the line homeowner model.
It's been trouble free, I love it.
Lawn tractors are so clumsy, zero turn is the shit!

I bought this last summer.
1973 Wheelhorse. 16 hp cast iron Kohler.

horse.jpg
I took the deck off, too many trees and shit around here. 54" deck with all the stuff is wider than the tractor is long.
I use it to pull various little trailers around the yard.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
2 acres, don't own one.
Love the trees too much !
Stihl chainsaw and weed whacker with blade attachment though !
So you're "that guy"?! :( That neighbor who doesn't upkeep his yard in the name of "I like nature as it is". We have a guy on our street like that. He has the worst looking yard on the street. He doesn't GAF. I'll post a pic next time I walk the dog. It's sad. I'd be pissed if he was my immediate neighbor.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
got more time for that than i do hauling 40 trash bags/cans to the curb!
When the leaves run through the mower blades they get chopped up so instead of 10 bags, I have 2-3. Bagging is just neater. It's like vacuuming your lawn. Mulching is lazy & looks messy... IMO.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Rob, a liquid cooled 14 HP? Seems a bit over kill, but it should last forever. All the paid Yard Monkey's here have air cooled ones.
I think you were talking about my mower with the 14hp liquid cooled twin cyl. Robs is bigger.
It's definitely overkill but maybe it'll outlast me?! It'd be nice if this was the last mower I ever had to buy. I'm 54... maybe got another 20 years to go!? I'd bet on the honda outliving me. :)

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I've overhauled the mower deck on Dad's Great Dane ZTR twice.

I can't make two passes with it due to having to have both hands on the controls, which overloads my lower back.

I'm sure they work great if it doesn't hurt you every time you mow.

RobBase

BAMF
Lawn tractors are so clumsy, zero turn is the shit!
If you lived on a hill, you'd never say that. I borrowed my neighbors BadBoyz? zero turn just to see how it worked.

On level ground, you're right, they're hard to beat.
Going up hills, they're fun cause they're easy to wheelie, but you won't cut much grass that way.
Going down hills, they're just plain dangerous. Going downhill either straight or angled, trying to slow down and turn is like stepping on the gas as the inside wheel spins backwards and turns your hill into a greasy sliding board of death.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
When I mow the ditch in front of my house, I have to hang off to the uphill side to get traction, and to keep from barrel rolling. A lawn monkey was doing the bitch next door ditch on his industrial ZTR and got it hopelessly stuck. It was way to heavy to push shove or list. I saw him down there trying to get it out, cussing up a storm. He was calling someone for help. I sauntered down and we pulled out. I think I used my come along, maybe my rider mower, maybe both, but got him out.

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
If you lived on a hill, you'd never say that. I borrowed my neighbors BadBoyz? zero turn just to see how it worked.

On level ground, you're right, they're hard to beat.
Going up hills, they're fun cause they're easy to wheelie, but you won't cut much grass that way.
Going down hills, they're just plain dangerous. Going downhill either straight or angled, trying to slow down and turn is like stepping on the gas as the inside wheel spins backwards and turns your hill into a greasy sliding board of death.
The man speaks the truth, hence why I have 2 mowers.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I don't think the blades need to be balanced on a mower where the things are driven by a belt. Now on a direct to the crankshaft mower, yes.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
I don't think the blades need to be balanced on a mower where the things are driven by a belt. Now on a direct to the crankshaft mower, yes.
Statements like this lend credence to my theory that you have issues visualizing transfers of force.

Unbalanced blades, over time, are the prime contributor to cracked mower decks.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
You should see what my blades look like after two years. The trailing edges are gone, just torn metal.
One season here, multiple fire ant mounds sand blast the hell out of blades, the spoiler on trailing edge gets worn away quick and fails, leaving that edge broken.

chuck356

BAMF
I've been using this Cub Cadet zero turn for 7-8 years now, it's works well for mowing the small portion of my 4 acres I mow. If you have relatively flat ground, zero turn is the only way to go. Last week was snow plow weather, in about 3 weeks the mower comes out to play. I quit sharpening my blades years ago as the mole hills kill any sharp edge on the blades. As long as it look nice when I am done, all I give a shit aboot.IMG_5961.JPGIMG_5961.JPGIMG_5962.JPGIMG_5963.JPG

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
bet its not as old Stites Stites unit still using the factory oil
Still have it, I think this year it turned 20 or 21 years old and yes it’s still on the original oil. Starts first or second pull every time and blows a little puff of smoke on start up and that’s it......runs like a champ. I think I added oil once......now it’s become a challenge to see how long it will last

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
Still have it, I think this year it turned 20 or 21 years old and yes it’s still on the original oil. Starts first or second pull every time and blows a little puff of smoke on start up and that’s it......runs like a champ. I think I added oil once......now it’s become a challenge to see how long it will last
My brother is doing the same thing with his Dixie Chopper! 🤣

XXFirefighter

With a Damn Big Hose
So you're "that guy"?! :( That neighbor who doesn't upkeep his yard in the name of "I like nature as it is". We have a guy on our street like that. He has the worst looking yard on the street. He doesn't GAF. I'll post a pic next time I walk the dog. It's sad. I'd be pissed if he was my immediate neighbor.
I don't even live on a paved road. I don't have mail delivery to my house. Lawns aren't a thing here. I barely have year round neighbors. They don't have grass. Moose are a hazard when you have a lawn.

I still have the same 2 junk mowers that were given to me years ago. A John Deere 38 inch and a MTD 42 inch that I prefer. They are both delicate and temperamental machines.

I'm on the "pay as u break" plan but sometimes I give them a little extra if they have been good.

Top Bottom