Lawn mowers. You know you got one!

BigBusa

BAMF+
I love a Honda. Anything Honda seems to last forever. My pressure washer, rototiller, push mower, riding mower, generator are all hondas. Super reliable.

This fall, I picked up this 1990's honda 4514 Honda w/38" deck at an estate sale for $500. The twin cylinder, liquid cooled 14 hp engine ran on starting fluid at the sale so I knew it would be fine.

4 new tires, tune up, new carb, catch bags, battery, belts, LED headlight bulbs and all that.... and she's like new again. Garaged all it's life. Fucking thing looks brand new after a wash and wax. Yea, I do wax my mower sometimes. ;) I want/ed a john deere zero turn but they're about $4k+. i don't need one that bad. :O

My last mower was a honda 2113 rider. I used it for 4 years and sold it for more than I paid for it, when I found this one.

Whatchu got?

Last edited:

HG

I’m here for the entertainment
That’s a deal! 👍🏼👍🏼

I have the Honda HRX self propelled mower and Honda string trimmer.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Nice score Don.. I had a 27 hp craftsman yard master with three bag set up.. fucker was pretty fast for a lawn mower. Sold it for half what I paid when I sold that big Victorian I redid.

RobBase

BAMF
To quote Crocodile Dundee, ".........that's not a mower...........THIS is a mower!"

John Deere X758, 60" deck, 4wd, Kubota 3cyl diesel.
My neighbors bought a used X738(gas) about 10 years ago and uses the shit out of it. So do his kids. So have I when my old Craftsman broke down and to date he's fixed absolutely nothing except when he ran over a boulder and dented the deck. They're build like a piece of construction equipment compared to my Craftsman which is built like a stamped metal toy.
I consider it a lifetime investment.
The cost reflects it.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
robase that's a $15k beast (+ accessories)! :greedy: I wouldn't need 4wd since no snow here. But, if we have a bigger property I'd need something like that (but 2wd) or like zxfan's zero turn. We're on 3/4 of an acre and only about 1/3 of that is lawn.

I love a bagger. Mulching is fine until you need to get rid of leaves each fall. I don't rake anymore. I bag em!

RobBase

BAMF
I plan on ceramic waxing the mfer on a weekly basis.
My Craftsman, I've been fixing something on it 3-4 times a year for the last 6-7 years. I think that sent me over the edge!
We have 6.5 acres with very little level ground so the 4wd is a godsend. Cutting the 6.5 acres took me 8 hrs on the Craftsman, with my neighbors JD, takes about 5 hours.
Bought it last August and it's hasn't touched a blade of grass yet.
If it was up to me I'd set up 4 brass poles and velvet ropes around it and just stare at it.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
BB,.you're right on the $. But I'm 56 now and entering the "what good is money if you don't spend it" phase of life.
I have to ask... why were some joints and corners not taped at all and others were finished and sanded? I was a drywall taper for 3 years. I notice that shit. ;)

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Yeah, I got a couple of'em. One is named Manuel an the other is Mr. Nguyen. Jesus and Ricardo do the heavy stuff, like sprinkler/drip systems and tree trimming. :fu: :up:
I get that! It's an age, money vs time thing. Mowing the lawn is something I hope I'll never NOT want to do. It's fairly easy and gives a sense of accomplishment!

Brokenfly

HOLYBAMF
Yep,quiet too.doubles as an off the concrete mobility scooter since tires better suited for the yard.

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Rob, a liquid cooled 14 HP? Seems a bit over kill, but it should last forever. All the paid Yard Monkey's here have air cooled ones. I always let mind warm up before I start cutting, then when I'm done, I let it idle for a few minutes to cool down before I shut it off.

I have a 42 inch Crapsman, built by Yard Products, with a 27 HP engine. It's a bit scratched up from running near the bougainvillea's, not to mention my arms, neck, legs and back. Blades are dull. Otherwise, it has been reliable. I did have to rebuild the blade spindles after aboot six or seven years. They HAD sealed bearings with no grease zerk. Now they have shielded bearings with grease zerks. Still on the original belt. Just put a new $55.00 battery in it. It is parked way out back with a solar battery charger connected to it.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I get that! It's an age, money vs time thing. Mowing the lawn is something I hope I'll never NOT want to do. It's fairly easy and gives a sense of accomplishment!
Between my residence and 5 rentals, I'm done with mowing fucking lawns and landscape maintenance.

Stetson

BAMF+
thats one of them golf course mowers...

Busted :red: That one is now out on a course on an island in Penobscot (Indian name!!!) Bay

I currently have two mowers, both I bought used from my Dad. Got this one last summer, but set up for winter duty in this pic. Ironically, I don't have the room to store it with the snowblower on, so I'm still using my walk behind Ariens this year at home. Next winter, I'll have this at my warehouse, and use it for blowing snow there.

This 1999 LT166 I've had since he bought that X300 above. I really love this mower, but she's tired. Front end is all wore out, round holes are now worn oval, so there's steering slop, and the hydrostatic drive barely moves it in reverse, but it runs like a champ. She's been my rough duty mower since I upgraded the rear rubber. :lol: Here, she's getting her annual "tune up in a box" from the Deere place, next town over. Other than slowly wearing out, it has never had a mechanical problem.

I do mulching decks.

Note my Dad's are & deed hitch ball bracket, so you can move real trailers. Those tires fixed my spinning on the steep parts problem.

Vicious_Cycle

HOLYBAMF
I always let mind warm up before I start cutting, then when I'm done, I let it idle for a few minutes to cool down before I shut it off.
Learned that the hard way when I bought my first used Cub.
Fucking shitpiles backfire if you turn 'em off hot. The backfire blows the muffler apart because it's 2 pieces crimped together without a weld. After it backfires and blows the seam apart, the exhaust blows on the frame rail. After the frame rail heats up, the piece of shit vapor locks and dies because the fuel line runs inside the frame rail.

Took me a while to figure that one out. :fu::screama::fu:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Learned that the hard way when I bought my first used Cub.
Fucking shitpiles backfire if you turn 'em off hot. The backfire blows the muffler apart because it's 2 pieces crimped together without a weld. After it backfires and blows the seam apart, the exhaust blows on the frame rail. After the frame rail heats up, the piece of shit vapor locks and dies because the fuel line runs inside the frame rail.

Took me a while to figure that one out. :fu::screama::fu:
:lol:

Stetson

BAMF+
I got all this for free from a woman who wanted it out of the garage of the house she bought. Actually it was better than free, because she paid me to remove it. I was going to keep the mower, and turn it into a mud buggy or something fun, but I spent the weekend cleaning the carb and getting it running and decided it was too good to chop up. It ran and cut grass good. One of my employees was interested, so he wound up with it. I sold the other stuff.

Stetson

BAMF+
A friend of mine told her son to mow the lawn while she was at work. He did, then drove the lawn mower back into the detached two car garage, only, in a little too far. He parked the nose (and muffler) right up against a pile of hay bales, went inside to watch TV, and burnt the garage flat. 🤣 🤣

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Simplicity here. It's what my dad used, so I do too. When I bought the new place in '05, I brought my old Crapsman over with me, but realized I needed a better mower for the almost acre I have to mow. Found a 5 year old Simplicity Broadmoor that leaves the lawn looking like a billiard table after each job. And my wife likes it because the rear anti-scalping roller leaves a nice stripe on the lawn. The 16hp B&S and the body have almost 800 hours on them now, I'm on the 3rd set of blades. It pulls a vacuum yard cart in the Fall to suck up all the leaves on this place. As long as I can get parts for it, I may never buy another rider. Just gotta keep fresh oil in it...make it last. Even has all 3 of the original spindles in the dek.

Looks pretty much like this one:

Stetson

BAMF+
This old girl has seen some times. This one, Dad just gave me when he bought the LT166 above. He and his next door neighbor bought it brand new. They went in ZX style, each paying half, with the agreement that whomever moved first would forfeit their share in the mower. Mom and Dad have been in the same house since 1967, and are still there. They've had 3 different neighbors now, since they bought the mower, so Dad won that one. :ducmanic: I used the shit out of it for years, and it never gave me a bit of trouble. I don't even remember changing a belt, though it seems like I must have.

I took this as the "for sale" on CL pic. It still ran and moved, but the deck was pretty rusted up. Believe it or not, some retired old timer from way up in Aroostook (Indian name!!!) County made a nearly 500 mile round trip to buy it for (I think) $50.
I was out of state when he could make the trip, so my Dad made a 30 mile round trip to my house, to chat him up and collect his money.🤣 The guy told Dad he buys an old mower every fall, and spends the winter restoring it, just for something to keep him busy. He was supposed to email some pics when he was done, but I never got any. I let Dad keep the cash for his trouble, cuz that's how I roll...:lol::lol:

Stetson

BAMF+
I love a Honda. Anything Honda seems to last forever. My pressure washer, rototiller, push mower, riding mower, generator are all hondas. Super reliable.

This fall, I picked up this 1990's honda 4514 Honda w/38" deck at an estate sale for $500.
I got so excited by a lawnmower thread, I forgot to add, nice score! Probably last forever.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
I always wanted a 4514. That's one of the best mowers ever made.
I didn't know this until I got one but I gotta agree with you. I doubt that any mid sized, mid hp w/38" deck riding mowers could claim to be better. It runs and rides like a car. It is so smooth and quiet... and well put together. The hydrostatic tranny is easy and effortless to use. No gears or clutch.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
I actually sold the 27 year old original ohtsu rear tires from it for $30 each to a guy on a honda mower forum! He drove an hour to pick them up. Evidently, the odd 20.5" tire size is impossible to find. Some owners are purists and won't put on a 20" tire for fear of an imperfect cut?!

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Daymn ! :eek: Need one or 2 of those for the ranch . 👍
One of these would do you well! Honda H6522. With a big finish mower on the back. It's the holy grail of honda tractors/mowers. This one's FS nearby me. $6500 - 4wd and all wheel steering. 3 cyl diesel w/22hp.

91358050_226449892094682_4411093419158405120_n.jpg

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I prepped out a big Honda like that back ^ in '91 or so. It was a gasser though. Big 4WD with 4WS, and every implement Honda made for it. Took all day!

Buyer had lost all of his equipment in a barn fire and got a big insurance check !!

(I just remembered why it took so long to build everything, I had fallen over in the parking lot a month earlier and broke my collarbone, and had my left arm in a sling. :biggrin1a: )

Top Bottom