Laguna Seca

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
Going to the s1000rr with all the electronics actually reduced the crash rate if I remember correctly.
There were about 5 get offs. One guy had 2!
Said hello to Mr. Code for you. Surprised he was a smoker!

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
Trip recap:

The trip up started late (Vicki!). We only got 3.5 hours in and since we went coast only, ended up in SB.
The next day was a slog up the coast (6 hours) to the Monterey Plaza. We were about 100 feet from the hotel when Vicki had a very slow get off on her z650. No damage other than a snapped peg feeler.

Day 1 at LS was a day spent working the rust off after not being on a track since 2003. That was at the short track at Vegas with Spencer's group. Riding LS was a major bucket list for me. I had ridden to the track for many years for mainly Superbike races. The last time was for the return of GP in 1988. I never thought I would actually ride the track. When Vicki suggested I do a track day for my 61st, I never imagined it would be LS.

Day three was, again, a time of rediscovery. How much I enjoyed the speed, competition and commodore of being with people who enjoy this sport we are all bothers in.
I was a little fatigued after the ride up, but quickly got into the rhythm. The curriculum was aggressive, but perfect. Class, track, review with your instructor, repeat.

I have to state that the instructors for CSS are the best. They never berate you, nor critique you in front of the other students.

Day 4 I started to get faster and more confident. Unfortunately, I also started to get tired. By the end of the forth session (you have 7 per day on the track) I was dragging ass. Weirdly, I did my fast lap on the 4 lap of the second session.

Day 5 we left Monterey at about 9. We decided to do mainly highway/freeway to get home at a reasonable hour on Saturday. Left Monterrey at 9 and got to Carpinteria at about 4. Both of us, at our age, were pretty hurting near the end of that leg. My hips and knees were killing me.

We spent the night in Carpinteria. Left about 9 again and rolled into Fallbrook at 1:30.

All in all, one of the best bike trips I have done in 45 years of riding.

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
Aleve does wonders and ample water. Track riding is very physical...mental as well
About consumed a bottle of Aleve on the way back. Other than the age related pain, I can't state how much I loved this trip. Having my wife, who is 63 and has never gone this far, with me is indescribable.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
How badass is this. I'm super jealous of your Code school training and now you're going to an labusas trackday.
Awesome, I wish I could go too. :up:

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
How badass is this. I'm super jealous of your Code school training and now you're going to an labusas trackday.
Awesome, I wish I could go too. :up:
We are old and don't any better. Just come. How hard would it be?

BigGar

high on placebo
Tim, I'm super stoked that you guys are coming up. I'm not sure I'll be riding at all but I'll be there for the Thunderhill festivities regardless. I'm not sure where I'm staying. burly can't go. I'll probably be riding up in a pickup with Shiavo who'll be at my house this Thursday night.
Do you feel you got a lot out of the Keith Code school?

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
Were to stay, what track rules and what we have to sign, etc.
We all try and stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Willows, Ca. It’s about an hour and a half north of Sacramento.

Most of will be riding on the 31st and 1st. Most info can be found at the website Qwik posted. Plus Carters is one of the best run track days outfits around. They are very good at the daily meetings going over the rules. In addition all the staff and control riders are all business when they need to be and very helpful and informative off the track.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
willows hotel where most of us are staying (every body?)

track day provider

we often go to black bear in willows for breakfast and they always take great care of us.

the track is 10 minutes away.

if you want a nice laid back and really fun pace the b- group has plenty of room and we can make it work out for you. B+ is sold out for Saturday but still has a likelyhood of getting into. the A group is also open. What ever you decide everyone there has your back. You'll get tire warmers and stands, theres fuel at the track everybody just kinda jams it and it works.

I know a couple of the rider coaches and can get you or vicki some first class laps and sessions. Carters is just great about all that stuff anyway.

we will be having a event saturday evening as well. I pm'd you some details. For food shopping we usually make a run into walmart grocery section which is closer to the track then the hotel.

switch over to the track day thread for more details.

Last edited:
OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
Tim, I'm super stoked that you guys are coming up. I'm not sure I'll be riding at all but I'll be there for the Thunderhill festivities regardless. I'm not sure where I'm staying. burly can't go. I'll probably be riding up in a pickup with Shiavo who'll be at my house this Thursday night.
Do you feel you got a lot out of the Keith Code school?
Hi Gregg. We are going to trailer up. Our out last trip was too much for us. We plan n riding the 31st. What can we bring for the group?

Top Bottom