KTM Dealer part 2.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
So here I sit in service waiting for them to work on making things right on the two front disk or rim...

This is my third visit for this issue.

First one they looked at it and confirmed both disks where warped..

Second visit two of the three "techs" did not show up for work and they said bring it back.. rode it to and from the dealer in thevran for that one.

Here we are third visit they THE DEALER called me a week ago to bring it in and one of the techs didnt show up so he said can I leave it.

I said sure you give me a ride home and pick me up when it's ready or deliver the bike when it's done. Service guy then says I'll get to it after one of the bikes is done that is on the lift..

The waiting are in the service area has no AC and is pretty shitty... you would think selling BMWs, Ducati, and KTM they at least have AC
.. I sit in the showroom and see if I bother enough people to get them to work on the bike. .

Which will not be fixed because a rim and Disks would have to be ordered..

Service manager said KTM never sent him directions of rim and disks specs ... so he has to call them.. meanwhile KTM corporate over a month ago when this all started that they sent the specs to the service manager... what a cluster fuck

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
In America, with a bike from an Austrian company, that had to be bailed out by an Indian company before it went busto broko, what could go wrong?

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Harley had AMF, KTM has Bajaj, Pit Beirer was forced into a deal with the devil. Now the devil wants his due, Americans all have a lot of money, right?

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Total waste of my time..

1...the service manager is over his head..A. he trying to tell me that I am responsible for the diagnosis..
B. he telling me the disks are floating and will take up any slight warpage.
C. He doesn't think the seating surface of the rim is the issue because the rims are CNC machined when made...
D he has one tech out and doesn't want to charge me to find there is nothing wrong.

2. The dealership plainly does not want to battle KTM over this issue nor has the talent to find the issue and submit it to KTM. Nor did he take the bike for a test drive to see the issue.. the breaks have a rub spot on stopping that is very pronounced

3 well there is no 3.. I told the service manager I'll diagnose exactly what is wrong.. I'll use my own money and equipment and farm out any thing I do not have in the garage..

He agreed to that and said if I find something.. and I make a clear video of it he will "make some noise with ktm.. my reply was I'm the one making the noise.. you are the one sucking ktm dick..

I think my relationship with this dealer is over. And KTM as a Hole.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Yury met a guy with that big BMW touring bike.. 6 times back to the dealer and is getting similar treatment.. he stormed out..

It's easy how thrybstay in business they have the only game in Long Island.

I'm ready to ship you the rim and let your dealer check it all out.
Problem is even the big NJ dealer is a prick when it comes to service.. but maybe I should try them

The carbon rims still havent shown up..but that will fix this issue...

Oh just to show you the caliber of people I'm dealing with.I told him that I'm replacing the rims with carbon fiber and went with Gaffer disks and pads ...he said then sell thos off and be done with it.. I said I would sell some one fucked upped parts.. his reply... dont tell them about any issues... YEP CLASS ACT THEY ARE.

LURCH

You rang?
Yury met a guy with that big BMW touring bike.. 6 times back to the dealer and is getting similar treatment.. he stormed out..

It's easy how thrybstay in business they have the only game in Long Island.

I'm ready to ship you the rim and let your dealer check it all out.
Problem is even the big NJ dealer is a prick when it comes to service.. but maybe I should try them

The carbon rims still havent shown up..but that will fix this issue...

Oh just to show you the caliber of people I'm dealing with.I told him that I'm replacing the rims with carbon fiber and went with Gaffer disks and pads ...he said then sell thos off and be done with it.. I said I would sell some one fucked upped parts.. his reply... dont tell them about any issues... YEP CLASS ACT THEY ARE.
What is this dealership’s name?

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Why dont you go to a different dealership

I found when you don't buy the vehicle from the place of service you get treated like shit. Which would be hard to get any more shitty then this KTM dealer has already did but now I totally understand why people hate KTM.. they have a product that is passable but the dealer net eorl along with the company will not honor their warranty nor stand behind their product.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
In cases like your's, I isolate each brake to see if both are the problem or just one.
Both..

That why I leaning toward the seating surfaces of the disks on the rim.. I'm thinking it was not machined perfect leading to a high spot.

My had is still a bit fucked upped for this project so I'll wait another two weeks.. then I'll take the rim off and take it to a machine shop to measure out all the seating surfaces..

RobBase

BAMF
Paul, I'd wager 95%of your problem is with the dealer. Down here I know of 3 other guys with KTM street bikes ( there are literally dozens of people in my area with KTM dirt bikes). None of them hate KTM, as the local dealer (JT Motorsports) is top notch and pretty conscientious also. They called me on the phone to schedule my master cylinder recall before I even got the letter from KTM. Dropped off the bike when scheduled, had lunch at the Mexican place next door, and it was done when they said it would be.
Your dealer sounds like a scumbag.

Are you saying that because of the warped rotors, the rest of the bikes good points are now irrelevant?

Website
www.snoopdogg.com
Listen I understand your frustration.. Your product should work right from factory...

However at this point you already have plans to change wheels and rotors...

Why not demand the dealership buy back the factory wheels and rotors at a fair price once you have replaced your original.

Why keep pissing yourself off.

busa10

BAMF
From the Gold Coast Motorsports web page...

Service Department

The credibility of our Service Department is absolutely astounding. Specializing in stock and high performance Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Husqvarna, KTM, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, Piaggio, Polaris, Royal Enfield, Triumph, Vectrix and Vespa, we are equipped to make your bike suitable for you and your taste. We have top factory-trained technicians on duty during all business hours.

Absolutely astounding!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Paul, I'd wager 95%of your problem is with the dealer. Down here I know of 3 other guys with KTM street bikes ( there are literally dozens of people in my area with KTM dirt bikes). None of them hate KTM, as the local dealer (JT Motorsports) is top notch and pretty conscientious also. They called me on the phone to schedule my master cylinder recall before I even got the letter from KTM. Dropped off the bike when scheduled, had lunch at the Mexican place next door, and it was done when they said it would be.
Your dealer sounds like a scumbag.

Are you saying that because of the warped rotors, the rest of the bikes good points are now irrelevant?

I have spent a few grand into this bike. If I weren't in that deep I certainly would bail.. just on principle alone. Dealing with KTM not only on the dealer level but at the corporate level has caused me great anger towards the Brand and company.. over what a condition that they will not stand behind.. so why will I continue to pour maintence money and have to have future dealing with these assholes.. the front forks need upgrading ... If I set the suspension up with the components and a medium to good set up this build will be over the cost of the BMW 1100 RR M piped and tuned which I have been lusting over..

I do like the bike but the bile taste in my mouth on 20k+ is not going to go away any time soon..

Website
www.snoopdogg.com
Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Husqvarna, KTM, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, Piaggio, Polaris, Royal Enfield, Triumph, Vectrix and Vespa,

Lol for real you know every brand that you sell down to an art form?

I'm no expert in any brand... I promise you if I was the best mechanic at that dealership, it would take 50 years of selling each brand and each model, before a mechanic could claim competency in that many brands.

Terry_Schiavo

HOLYBAMF
I'm no expert in any brand... I promise you if I was the best mechanic at that dealership, it would take 50 years of selling each brand and each model, before a mechanic could claim competency in that many brands.
There are certain brands..(cough cough Aprilia) that are cult type and its pretty easy to distill who the best dealer is. Same with Piaggio. I wouldnt trust my locals for ANYTHING...including recalls.. This site was a primo resource for the best mods and fixes. Eventually split to other more focused tech resources. Me...Id drive 20hrs just to cut a dealers nuts like I did in 2000 for my 12

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
There are certain brands..(cough cough Aprilia) that are cult type and its pretty easy to distill who the best dealer is. Same with Piaggio. I wouldnt trust my locals for ANYTHING...including recalls.. This site was a primo resource for the best mods and fixes. Eventually split to other more focused tech resources. Me...Id drive 20hrs just to cut a dealers nuts like I did in 2000 for my 12

Exactly this.. first thing I bought as soon as I bought this bike was a factory service model...then studied it to get familure with everything... I'm very lucky to still be in the loop of dragracers and independent shops to feild a good bit of knowledge if I get over my head and get taught what I dont know... but I also come from the stubborn world of there is nothing I can't fix myself..

Most dealerships cant hold real talent in the repair side.. leading to loss of prime riding time as the bike sits waiting for a reginal factory tech to come inspect and finish the job.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Exactly this.. first thing I bought as soon as I bought this bike was a factory service model...then studied it to get familure with everything... I'm very lucky to still be in the loop of dragracers and independent shops to feild a good bit of knowledge if I get over my head and get taught what I dont know... but I also come from the stubborn world of there is nothing I can't fix myself..

Most dealerships cant hold real talent in the repair side.. leading to loss of prime riding time as the bike sits waiting for a reginal factory tech to come inspect and finish the job.
A lot of the blame also belongs to management, or lack there of. Some no nothing mouthy JAP is running our local Honda dealership out of business. Doesn't know shit aboot motorcycles or what it takes to repair them, but thinks her shit don't stink.
If you have someone up front that doesn't have a clue, the rest of the service department is fucked.
And what's with the "tech" not showing up for work? They don't need the pay? Or they don't show up because there is nothing to do?

And those fucking idiots from MMI Jesus H Christ. We have one aboot a year and a half out of the Motorcycle Moron Institute, he doesn't no shit, and doesn't care. I'll suggest how to do something and he'll say "That's not how we did it in school". Idiot. They don't teach them how to think, and this particular moron doesn't care if he does it right. But can't fire him because he's in the National Guard and plays weekend warrior. Although, he did go to Afghanistan and shot at some brown people. I tell him allah tyme he should go back full tyme military so they can tell him what to do, when to do it and how, no thinking involved.

And, I actually have forgotten more than they will know. I don't even remember what I did today. Who am I talking to? What's this all aboot?

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
Tire pressure monitors. :D
Will the carbon wheels have tire pressure monitors? Hell, even MotoGP has them these days on those Marzocci magnesium rims. Will it fukup the advanced Austrian electronic suite if the TPMs are absent?

fr0st

Couldnt a reputable machine shop install the wheels on something and make it measure sudeways at it spins? That wouldnt cost much to do and try.. while filming it of course.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I'm hoping that you move closer to Indy, so we can visit more often. :biggar:

I remember Tim saying to me the big Victorian was no bige deal .. out in Illinois and Indiana they where a dime a dozen.. so I've been looking and he is correct.. and they go CHEAP.. weather is good with pretty much the same as I have in NY.. Tony's set up on a smaller scale would make for good living in and around the state.

When I started at the Honda shop they had 3 people working back in the service department, or so they claimed. Turned out one was retired, the other one works full time at Lowe's , and the 3rd one was 15. They all tucked tail and left, saw their chance.

Then they hired this 20s kid in the fall that didn't last until the following spring. He'd call in one day a week at least and they tolerated it. He had a medical condition, but also tried to act like kids in their 20s do, so not sure where his priorities laid. So he quit and moved outta state, close to family.

Busy season comes back around I ask them who they have on the hook now... they didn't know they said, "you know anybody?"

pimpslayer

BAMF+
When I started at the Honda shop they had 3 people working back in the service department, or so they claimed. Turned out one was retired, the other one works full time at Lowe's , and the 3rd one was 15. /--------------------/
Busy season comes back around I ask them who they have on the hook now... they didn't know they said, "you know anybody?"
The shop I worked at used to lose good techs to the auto dealerships...2 to 3 times the pay for good techs.

pimpslayer

BAMF+
Bet they end up taking 400k for it. Been for sale forever. The only thing that bothers me is the property taxes. Would be about $2000 a year in my county and I'm closer to civilization. Maybe the previous owner doesn't have a homestead exemption.
So you're saying it would save Rhino about $23,000 a year in property taxes?

For a 3000 sq ft house, and a 5600 sq ft shop...

So you're saying it would save Rhino about $23,000 a year in property taxes?

For a 3000 sq ft house, and a 5600 sq ft shop...
Homestead exemption is around 40% in Indiana. Maybe not quite 23k a year but the county only values the property at $318k.
If he was interested I can find the resources to dig a little deeper and find out the present owner's tax situation/status, as well as the neighbors. I usually look at these things to assess if they are being taxed fairly. Never pursued it beyond that, if they taxes don't seem right I'd just move on, doubt you could fight it.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Thanks but that barn conversion is not my style. I like George F Barber designed victorians.. 1900 to 1909 seem to be the best years for them.. I'm also Cheap.. I know I'm going in and gutting and redoing what ever I buy...so I'm looking for deals with good bones.

Top Bottom