Knoxville TN, what do you know about it?

LuxPride

BAMF
So I feel like my time in the "A" is coming to an end. Local politics, crime, and a Dem run "big city" life are grinding on me. I think I'm ready for a change of pace and Tennesee seems like a better fit (I'm not happy about them potentially changing their constitution to prohibit the legalization of weed, but fuck it, it's illegal here in Atlanta also).

I spent some time in Maryville this weekend and enjoyed the slower pace (but not the bullshit 45mph speed limits). I found some land a little north of Knox that I could deal with, but I don't know much about the area. is the Knoxville area full of crime? Marauding BLM types coming to hunt white people? Is there a job scene that shows any real prosperity or is it just a grind to stay alive kind of thing? Decent food or healthcare?

I'm sure once I dive into the statistics I'll learn more, I figured some of you might have real-world experience that might help me cut through the bullshit and either consider it or move on to greener pastures. I consider you all to be the kind of people I'd value as neighbors so your experience means something to me.

Thaks y'all!

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
For me there is a shit ton to do outdoor activity wise. All the good roads. Some busier than others. Wind rock downhill bike park and ORV riding. Good food. UofT coeds to eyeball lol. I would look at the Oak Ridge area if I was moving. My views are only from me being a tourist over many years of enjoying the Knoxville area

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
Foodwise it wont come close to Atlanta. Outdoorwise much better.
Kind of touristy though...
My only experience with healthcare there is UT medical center... no thanks. Id carry a DNR on my neck before letting them revive or treat me.

Website
www.bobbywarns.com
I interviewed for a Counter-Intelligence officer position at Oak Ridge national labs a few years ago and toured the local housing market for a day while I was there. It seems to be the ideal mix of city and country with a decent cost of living...plus the scenery is pretty awesome.

My brother lives in that area and I visit as often as I can. I love that area. Great roads. The devil's triangle is just north of Oakridge. Plenty of good restaurant's as well. I would move there if I could get the wife on board.

OP
LuxPride

LuxPride

BAMF
Thanks for the input everyone. On the surface, it seemed pretty chill as far as kinda-small towns go. The people were friendly, I'm not racist I don't care if my neighborhood is full of black people or any people of color for that matter, but I've come to dislike niggers so I'm trying to avoid Memphis or Nashville.

So far Knoxville hasn't washed out, I have to admit I'm kinda shocked as I thought one of you would've had a big "gotcha" I clearly missed from my brief time there. The property taxes are a solid plus as well.

Pat830

BAMF
Knoxville, Tennessee Crime Rate & Safety

The metropolitan area's violent crime rate was higher than the national rate in 2018. Its rate of property crime was higher than the national rate.

Brentwood ranked as Tennessee's safest city; Knoxville, Memphis among the worst. The safest cities in Tennessee tend to be in suburbia, especially suburban Nashville, while Tennessee's largest cities are among the least safe, according to a report issued Tuesday by the National Council for Home Safety and Security.Feb 20, 2018

I remember reading about this one when it happened.

Last edited:
Knoxville, Tennessee Crime Rate & Safety

The metropolitan area's violent crime rate was higher than the national rate in 2018. Its rate of property crime was higher than the national rate.

Brentwood ranked as Tennessee's safest city; Knoxville, Memphis among the worst. The safest cities in Tennessee tend to be in suburbia, especially suburban Nashville, while Tennessee's largest cities are among the least safe, according to a report issued Tuesday by the National Council for Home Safety and Security.Feb 20, 2018
Not sure how "average" the average. I was curious about the city of Hartford, which is Connecticut's capital and the place where I bought a house in a chill neighborhood, to see what kind of crime rate they had and...

*looks it up*

Double the national violent crime rate :eek:

Can't run away from shit bag political stuff it will follow you where ever, you just have to change the voting mentality of the dumb voting public

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Looks like Knoxville has a Democrat bullshit artist for a mayor.
Knoxville is a little liberal compared to the county I live in now, but I'd move there in a heartbeat if the only other alternative was Memphis.

The Univ of Tn is in Knoxville, so you have to figure it would be a little more liberal than the rest of TN. But the areas north, east and west
of Knoxville are a nice place to live. Going to the SE of Knoxville gets you into Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and while they're nice places to visit, i wouldn't want to live there because of the tourists and the resultant traffic problems.

rotts4u

BAMF
I live in Chattanooga for the last 24 years and here are my comments in general about here.
Tennessee has ZERO earned income tax.
A car tag is 24$ a year.
Property tax is average for the south maybe a little lower.
State government is conservative republicans.
Chattanooga and likely Knoxville to has EXCELLENT hospitals and medical care. Nashville Has Vandy which is world class hospital care.
Typically inner city will be crime ridden like any other big city. Pick the right suburb and you will love it. Oak Ridge has an incredible 1000 yd rifle range that is chartered into the city and they have skeet etc everything basically.
Sales tax is high I think 9.25% on most items. Cars are lower to match Georgia I believe
Hamilton county where I live has good local government offices good support there to help you fast and efficient car tags etc

Overall I like Tennessee after growing up in Georgia and it will be hard for me to move out of the state after retirement.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Tennessee has ZERO earned income tax.
A car tag is 24$ a year.
The basic charge for a car tag might be $24, but each county puts tax on top of that. My tags are somewhere around $68 for a car, and $58 for a bike due to a tax and a temporary surcharge to raise money for a new High School.
The county below me has a long term extra tax on plates to build a 1000 acre recreational lake. They built it over 10 years ago, but I don't see the tax coming off in my lifetime.... 😂

OP
LuxPride

LuxPride

BAMF
I dig the mountains, and my honkey white ass has had too much beach sun to last a lifetime to really enjoy all that Florida has to offer. I tend to stay in the shade as much as I can nowadays. That was the reason I chose Atlanta over Austin when I was looking to get out of Venice CA, the trees.

I can't really knock Atlanta, it has been good to me as far as cities go, and I really like the state of Georgia. But once my neighbors got woke, it was a wrap. A few days ago and a couple of miles away a pregnant woman got stabbed 7 times while she was walking on one of our greenway paths next to a creek. They had to emergency C-section the baby out to save its life. Now that the shitbag mayor KLB isn't running for re-election, a host of other grifters are coming out of the woodwork to run, including the former shitbag mayor who I could've sworn was under indictment for fraud along with the majority of his administration. I can't see it getting any better here in the short term. The only thing holding the state together is Kemp and his time is coming. Vernon Jones is going to run for governor, but I don't have strong feelings about a former Dem who jumped ship in such a corrupt system. The election really fucked up my views on the state of affairs in Georgia.

After looking up the majority of elected officials in TN, their past, who, and what they voted on. I have no doubt the "good 'ol boy" network is in full swing there as well. Some no-bid Covid contracts were issued to some of these fucks for items at double the rate as their competitors. I'm sure it's just as corrupt as GA. Their views are laughable when compared to today's societal values. They seem to be stuck in the 1880s, I guess I'd rather have that than the bullshit outright "office for sale" system that is so apparent here.

OP
LuxPride

LuxPride

BAMF
Vernon Jones will be a good governor. Stacey Abrams, not so much.
Vernon is in the trenches and taking grenades on behalf of conservatives here. But his absolute reversal of political convictions is suspect unless he was a wolf in sheep's clothing as being black and a dem is the ticket into politics in GA (if you're white and a Rep you gotta go through Athens GA-UGA Rep system. If you're black and a Dem you go through the Atlanta-Dem system). If he used the system to get a foot in the door only to change his stance once he was rooted in, I guess that's a possibility. Patrica Moore has been in the fight as well, she's grounded in reality and would be good for what Atlanta needs as a Mayor. Color is a big deal here, a white republican mayor will never happen, ever, Sherman can come back from the dead and burn it down again and it would still never happen. These two might be the best hope Atlians have to turn the city around cause they pass the first and only test 80% of the population cares about.

If Atlanta folds to Kaseem Reed and his cronies AND goes blue in the governor's race, it'll be over for a great state. Being open during covid fucked Georgia big time. All the bored crooks and criminals in other neighboring states figured out Georgia was an easy mark once they got here. A weak mayor, soft DA's, cops leaving in droves after the jogger got smoked, easy looting opportunities after BLM broke into Gucci for reparations and nothing happened. Lots of money being made in the strip clubs while the rest of the country was getting tickets for going to the park. It was the right thing to do, but it's going to cost the city socially for years to come. The gangsters never left and with Stacey Abrams around they're protected with signature bonds and constant liberal police pressure. It's why I feel the city will never actualize its true potential, it will choose a loser on a couple of very basic principles over what in its best interest, every time. Doesn't matter if the color of the candidate is correct.

OP
LuxPride

LuxPride

BAMF
This was the stabbing that sent the woman in for an emergency c-section. This is a pic of my neighborhood, I live a short dog walk from the lake. It's not the kind of place pregnant women with kids get stabbed in the back multiple times while going for a walk. Shit's outta control

• Red
Reactions: Red

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
I like Knoxville quite a bit, so much so that last year we drove out there to look at a very nice piece of property about 30 minutes from town. My timing was off or we would have bought it

Last edited:

rotts4u

BAMF
The basic charge for a car tag might be $24, but each county puts tax on top of that. My tags are somewhere around $68 for a car, and $58 for a bike due to a tax and a temporary surcharge to raise money for a new High School.
The county below me has a long term extra tax on plates to build a 1000 acre recreational lake. They built it over 10 years ago, but I don't see the tax coming off in my lifetime.... 😂
I live in Hamilton which is likely one of the larger counties and even here on a Diesel pusher motorhome the tag is $24 same as my Cars, trucks etc

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
I might have worded it differently, but I do think we have problems that we are forbidden from discussing and therefore they have little to no chance of ever getting resolved.

Last edited:

chandler

BAMF
Tennessee doesn't have an earned income tax but they do have an investment income tax that is around 6%.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I live in Hamilton which is likely one of the larger counties and even here on a Diesel pusher motorhome the tag is $24 same as my Cars, trucks etc
Then you are very lucky not to have a County Wheel Tax. Basic State fee is $21.50

Williamson Co., south of Nashville is a total of $65.00 for a new registration, $55 for a renewal.
Knox Co. is at least $57.00
Shelby Co. is $65.00
Blount Co. is $84.00
They're all different....

Top Bottom