Knee replacement thread

gsteve

BAMF+
Im fucking near needing new ones. Im trying everything i can to not get the op. My latest attempt was stem cells , so far a total waste of a lot of money. The dr told me give it 8 mons. Im at 6 and nothing. The shit part is they want you to not work out hard while the cells are working... So ive lost strength and size. At the 8 month mark ill get back to lifting and see where i get. If its not enough to make my knees stable at least ill have some size for when i get replacements. Sucks , im the lightest and fittest ive been in 25 years. Lost 40 lbs. But my knees are shit and i cant walk 3 miles. My plan is to get both done at once and face the hell that will be recovery but be done with it and look forward to moving well again.
Anyone have experience ?
Ive read about minimally invasive surgery , no quad cutting.

Last edited:

Austin_F

BAMF+
i was just talking to a guy at work about this. he had a knee done, off work for 3 months. Shortly after returning, his knee swelled up. they hadn't 'shaved' something down and it was causing fluid build up. Back in they went, 3 more months off work.

other knee also 3 months.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Dino had both at the same time. Walked outa the hospital on day 3 and said that was it.

I don't really think that's the rule though.

Standard questions, How old are you, you know theses things don't last for more the 20 years by any estimates Ive seen

what exactly is wrong? Bone on Bone, Cartilage fuckered, Grease fitting out of the question?

Most docs say its the last option. Put up with the pain until you cant then go a little longer.

Are you a candidate for a partial replacement?

OP
OP

gsteve

BAMF+
Dino had both at the same time. Walked outa the hospital on day 3 and said that was it. THATS AWESOME

Standard questions, How old are you, you know theses things don't last for more the 20 years by any estimates Ive seen 59

what exactly is wrong? Bone on Bone, Cartilage fuckered, Grease fitting out of the question? CARTILAGE REPAIRED/CLEANED UP 3X , BONE CONTACT ON ONE , IVE HAD THE SYNVIS INJECTIONS DONE 6 X.

Most docs say its the last option. Put up with the pain until you cant then go a little longer. IM DONE WITH LIMPING , ITS FUCKING UP MY LIFE. ILL LIMP WHEN IM 79 IF I HAVE TO

LAST MRI SAID THATS A POSSIBLITY BUT THEY DONT KNOW TIL THEY GO IN.

whipit1K

BAMF
I wish I had the ability to go have my knee (s) looked at. need me some obamacare frees knees!

I had ACL reconstructions on both a year apart, over twenty years ago. One knee was not damaged too badly, the other was said to be the worst the surgeon had seen, so bad it was basically held together by surrounding muscle tissue- all ligaments fucked, cartilage badly damaged. I can still see my lower leg folding over 90 degrees in the wrong direction...in agonizing slow motion. that really hurt.

My right knee is severely crimping my style now. I last was able to run about 13 yrs ago- had to give it up due to pain. i now cant even mountain bike much, cant go on a long hike....right knee is fucked and my fitness and mental state are suffering for it

OP
OP

gsteve

BAMF+
Thats a pretty good price , I've been paying insane taxes my whole life. Ill be clawing some back thru our "free" health care. Your post was prob for whipit , i just realized.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Just throwing it out there for anyone who might be interested- medical tourism is huge in Thailand, and the hospitals are some of the most modern in the world. Also, the hospital in the link I posted (Bumrungrad) is only a couple minutes walk from the biggest red-light district in Bangkok (and if you're off your feet, many places offer delivery)...

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I went to the ortho doc a few months ago about my right knee. I have pretty bad arthritis and there isn't much they can do other than a replacement. The doc told me to wait until I couldn't stand it and the get a replacement. I think I can wait a while. I can still bicycle and hike (like 12 miles is my limit), but it bothers me quite a lot riding a superbike at the track.

whipit1K

BAMF
I went to the ortho doc a few months ago about my right knee. I have pretty bad arthritis and there isn't much they can do other than a replacement. The doc told me to wait until I couldn't stand it and the get a replacement. I think I can wait a while. I can still bicycle and hike (like 12 miles is my limit), but it bothers me quite a lot riding a superbike at the track.
The knee issue is why I stopped riding sportbikes a good ten years ago, too, gravitating toward standards and ADV bikes with generous leg room

I've had 2 friends get knee replacement. Biggest thing I gathered from them was if you want it to go well, follow the doctor's instructions. One did and one didn't and recovery was miserable for the one that didn't.

Vegas12

BAMF+
The diagnosis is there for me....after multiple clean ups, both knees are bone on bone.

No experience to share on the surgery, only to say I'm putting it off as long as possible....and it's getting harder every week.

I did qualify for some fucked up study that involved injections...made a little bit of money but the shots didn't help at all. (since it was bilateral, there was no placebo)

When the time comes, I hope I have half the huevos as Dino and do both knees at the same time.

Z

BAMF+
Had both hips dun. :up:

7 years apart at da V A. (COST ME 1200 BUCKS APIECE)

Dey say,,, knees,,, are a tougher recovery... :neutral:

N ya prolly shouldn't,,,,,, do em both,,,, at da same time ?? :ducmanic:

But it wuz totally worth doin,,,, fer me. :D

Team222

BAMF
Pretty much all the clean outs, meniscus repair, blah, blah, blah are delaying the inevitable, if you knee is wore out nothing is going to give you complete relief other than a replacement. I'm going on my third year post surgery and wish I would have had it done years ago. I have the active model, it has replaceable pucks made of Delrin, when they wear past their limit the next surgery replaces them instead of the complete piece of hardware.

I have had a knee replacement, hip replacement (a breeze compared to to knee) and a spine fusion all within the last 3 1/2 years, should have all been done years earlier, so please reconsider ever waiting on fixing any bone on bone condition, it's just stupid and a waste of quality life!

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Im fucking near needing new ones. Im trying everything i can to not get the op. My latest attempt was stem cells , so far a total waste of a lot of money. The dr told me give it 8 mons. Im at 6 and nothing. The shit part is they want you to not work out hard while the cells are working... So ive lost strength and size. At the 8 month mark ill get back to lifting and see where i get. If its not enough to make my knees stable at least ill have some size for when i get replacements. Sucks , im the lightest and fittest ive been in 25 years. Lost 40 lbs. But my knees are shit and i cant walk 3 miles. My plan is to get both done at once and face the hell that will be recovery but be done with it and look forward to moving well again.
Anyone have experience ?
Ive read about minimally invasive surgery , no quad cutting.
No knees here. Just a hip. My only advice is to do it now. Time flies. Why wait? Waiting was my biggest regret.

S.C.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Pretty much all the clean outs, meniscus repair, blah, blah, blah are delaying the inevitable, if you knee is wore out nothing is going to give you complete relief other than a replacement. I'm going on my third year post surgery and wish I would have had it done years ago. I have the active model, it has replaceable pucks made of Delrin, when they wear past their limit the next surgery replaces them instead of the complete piece of hardware.

I have had a knee replacement, hip replacement (a breeze compared to to knee) and a spine fusion all within the last 3 1/2 years, should have all been done years earlier, so please reconsider ever waiting on fixing any bone on bone condition, it's just stupid and a waste of quality life!
is this a new method? Does this mean the whole 20 year life span is not true any more?

Team222

BAMF
is this a new method? Does this mean the whole 20 year life span is not true any more?
Can't say how new the procedure is, I do have the paper work on it somewhere and can give you the manufacture's name, it's the sport model, for younger, more active recipients.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
one of my concerns is range of motion. I know someone here who had one knee done and he said he doesn't get full range.

BilletMan

BAMF+
It would be cool to have a zipper for puck replacement procedure! Climb up on the work bench and swap 'em out right quick!

Team222

BAMF
one of my concerns is range of motion. I know someone here who had one knee done and he said he doesn't get full range.
Can't say for sure but that would be the fault of the patient/physical therapist, no range of motion should be lost, quite the opposite in my case.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Talk to Trevor at smashwerx.com before you do anything else, he is a visionary. Call him.
that guy has a pretty good "knee" work out video on his page. I'm supposed to be in rest and heal mode for the next 4 weeks but after that I might give some of those a try

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
After numerous shoulder surgeries that limited use of both shoulders. And the complication of hand surgery I'm going through right now I am holding off on the bi lateral knee replacements for a bit.. even though the surgeon cant understand how I can walk.. Yet I do. I'm a freaking freak of the medical orthopedic department.

gsteve At the end of the day surgery is always the worst case scenario, the last resort, ultimately it depends how much degeneration and cartilage loss you have in the joints, after that it's all soft tissue that determines everything, tendons, ligaments and the muscular structure that was designed to operate it all. Trevor has brought so many people back from immobility it's impossible to count, with a procedure as severe and invasive as total knee replacement I would exhaust every other possible avenue before resigning yourself to it. Cycling even stationary could be a life changer for you.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
I ride with quite a few guys that have had both knees replaced.
A couple of 60yr old guys send their bikes 4' in the air over logs with no ramp... makes the 20 & 30yr old riders look like chumps!

OP
OP

gsteve

BAMF+
gsteve At the end of the day surgery is always the worst case scenario, the last resort, ultimately it depends how much degeneration and cartilage loss you have in the joints, after that it's all soft tissue that determines everything, tendons, ligaments and the muscular structure that was designed to operate it all. Trevor has brought so many people back from immobility it's impossible to count, with a procedure as severe and invasive as total knee replacement I would exhaust every other possible avenue before resigning yourself to it. Cycling even stationary could be a life changer for you.
I’m going to give the stem cells the time they asked for. They wanted me to keep my wo low impact , low weight , low everything to let it heal. Then I’m going to say fukit and try to build the kegs back up. Right now if I walk 2 miles , bike light for 15 mins etc. I can’t move my one keg much. Standing fir 15 mins is about max. The right knee tightens to the point the knee won’t bend much. I’ll look this guy up. I’ll try anything. But I’m at my witts end here. Life is passing me by. I believe my knees are part to blame for the break up of the best relationship I’ve had. She won’t say so but I don’t think she saw herself with a guy that couldn’t go for a hike or a decent walk. I was getting fat and that added to my misery. I don’t blame her really

If your not willing to fight like a trapped Wolverine for your own health then what are you willing to fight for?

Check back after you’ve spoken to Trevor, he was diagnosed with cancer and given 90 days to live at one point, also used to live in his car, he understands grave physical circumstances, also understands adversity and struggle.

NTRYDR

Been There. Done That.
Dino had both at the same time. Walked outa the hospital on day 3 and said that was it.

Standard questions, How old are you, you know theses things don't last for more the 20 years by any estimates Ive seen

what exactly is wrong? Bone on Bone, Cartilage fuckered, Grease fitting out of the question?

Most docs say its the last option. Put up with the pain until you cant then go a little longer.

I had my left done I 92..The right in 2011..Still gimpin around..Can’t walk for shit though because my feet are toast..

OP
OP

gsteve

BAMF+
Check back after you’ve spoken to Trevor, he was diagnosed with cancer and given 90 days to live at one point, also used to live in his car, he understands grave physical circumstances, also understands adversity and struggle.
How do you actually talk to Trevor ? I’ve joined his website and started doing the work he shows 👍

Z

BAMF+
:dash2: Jus got out of da hospital,,,, myself. :mad2:

4 days,,,,,,,,,,, n' 3 blissfull nights.

Wuz on da table fer 4 1/2 hours gettin kidney stones cut outta both kidneys, :eek:

Docs even took pics of em,,, fer me.. :lol:

Hospital stay,,, n' pain involved,, as well as amount of pain drugs given me,,:ducmanic:

wuz wayyyyy,,, ova n' above, either,,, hip raplacement surgery.. :(

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
:dash2: Jus got out of da hospital,,,, myself. :mad2:

4 days,,,,,,,,,,, n' 3 blissfull nights.

Wuz on da table fer 4 1/2 hours gettin kidney stones cut outta both kidneys, :eek:

Docs even took pics of em,,, fer me.. :lol:

Hospital stay,,, n' pain involved,, as well as amount of pain drugs given me,,:ducmanic:

wuz wayyyyy,,, ova n' above, either,,, hip raplacement surgery.. :(
So what are you going to do to stop the gravel pit in your kidneys from returning?

Z

BAMF+
So what are you going to do to stop the gravel pit in your kidneys from returning?
Wel,,,,,,,,, how did you,,,,,,,,, know ? :eek:

Dem's da words,, used by da doc for most of what,,,, wuz in da right kidney..

Said dere wuz well ova 50 lookin like da bottom of dried river bed gravel....

Plus a few bigguns.:confused2:

Left had mostly bigguns,,, total sizes in da left, added up ta bout 80 mm....:mad2:

Dey're gonna send em out to a lab,,

in commiefornia,,,,,,,, :roll: ta learn dere makeup

Dey will restrict my diet accordingly..

Also learned how,, dis stuff,,,,,,, ain't toooo shabby,,, ova da weekend

Dilaudid,,,,,,,,,:yahoo:

LuxPride

BAM
My pop's had one of two done (he needs the other done as well). Recovery seems to be the big-ticket issue. Don't fuck around with rehab and stick to the schedule. He felt so much better he got too active too quickly, causing issues. Had to go back to rehab to get things sorted.

Pat830

BAMF
My ex wife had both knees done at the same time three or four years ago. She is no picture of fitness or tough in any way and said she should have had it done years ago because of bone on bone pain. 1 day in the hospital, 2 days in rehab(therapy) and home. Walking the day after the surgery if I remember correctly.

If you are in pain and can afford to have it done, do it.

Top Bottom