Kel-Tec P32 6.6 oz .32 caliber...who has one or who has an opinion?

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
For a woman, a light small conceal carry piece. Please don’t say a .32 caliber is not enough stopping power, tell that to someone else.

673370B2-B355-4C65-AF68-1897DB9ED6DD.png

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Why not a 9mm? Is the trigger pull your standard Kel Tec 20lbs? I have a Kel Tec 9mm and .380, takes forever for the trigger to do something.

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
6.6 ounces, the lightest pistol I know of, light is the main objective.

made in USA for the last 25 years

Last edited:

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I owned 2 of the early models....just horrible little piles of shit. Have you looked at the Ruger LCP II? Much better trigger and overall feel..and it's a .380. About 3 ounces heavier..

Ditto LCP.

Have her go in and shoot both, base the decision on that. If a gun is too big/heavy/uncomfortable to shoot, it's just going to be left in the drawer more often than not.

For a woman, a light small conceal carry piece. Please don’t say a .32 caliber is not enough stopping power, tell that to someone else.

View attachment 26991
I second the LCP II in 380 ACP. I have the LCP custom and Gamdor Outdoors was closing the local store. I got the LCP II for $210 or so OTD. Better trigger than the Custom and better grip at least to me. Light pocket pistol (in a pocket holster) the sights need to be painted as they are all black from the factory. Mags from the custom work. Extended mag is 7+1. Great little pocket carry pistol.
I had a keltec 20 years ago and I will be kind and say it had a feed issue. Might be better quality now, I do not know.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I don't like the "micro-compacts". My sub-compact carry is a Ruger LC9S. Small enough to slip into the front pocket of my jeans or the pocket of a coat/jacket, enough punch to make it count, fantastic trigger.

I'd also vote for the Ruger LCP II. Very similar to the 9S, but in .380.

ive heard great things about the sig 365... seems to be in the size range for what you are looking for..and apparently has an amazing trigger.
I have one of those as well. It is much larger than the LCP II, much better sights, good shooter, can get 12 and 15 round mags for it. 10 is the factory capacity. I definitely prefer it as a EDC...but the LCP II is more of a real pocket carry gun and much easier to conceal. The SIG is also twice as expensive but 9mm ammo is cheaper to shoot than .380. Springfield has a similar sized gun in the Hellcat. A little more capacity. As so.eone stated the LCP II is about half the weight of the SIG.

busa10

BAMF
Kel-Tec's are unreliable. LCP's work although I'm not a big fan of Rugers

This is my carry, an air-weight +P Double Action/Single Action . I think YCIS has similar. With a little practice, they are truly a fast handling hide away.

Model 638 | Smith & Wesson
yessir...my shrouded hammer jframe is in my pocket everywhere i go. its even in the patdown/checklist routine for walking out the door. wallet...keys...phone...knife...pistol...

even in winter months when its much easier to carry a g19 or similar iwb with layers of clothing, i always find the most comfort and convenience in the little jframe.

I suppose there is an argument where id need the additional 10 rounds of ammo in my glock magazine vs just the 5 in the pistol....but given the long odds that youd even need to fire a single shot in self defense...i cant even imagine the odds of a situation where you need 15-17...and i suppose if that happens im fooked (or am being even more assertive in finding a way out of the situation that requires zero rounds)

rumble phish

BAMF+
yessir...my shrouded hammer jframe is in my pocket everywhere i go. its even in the patdown/checklist routine for walking out the door. wallet...keys...phone...knife...pistol...

even in winter months when its much easier to carry a g19 or similar iwb with layers of clothing, i always find the most comfort and convenience in the little jframe.

I suppose there is an argument where id need the additional 10 rounds of ammo in my glock magazine vs just the 5 in the pistol....but given the long odds that youd even need to fire a single shot in self defense...i cant even imagine the odds of a situation where you need 15-17...and i suppose if that happens im fooked (or am being even more assertive in finding a way out of the situation that requires zero rounds)
The J-frame is not a "pistol", it is a "revolver".

The Glock would be considered a "pistol".

Sorry for the correction, but my OCD wouldn't let me let it go.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Just like one I carry:

EDIT: This grip but blued.

Last edited:

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...I just kleaned all the pocket lint out of mind...it is a good thing I dropped it into the dog water as it had gooten pretty clogged up behind my negligence...

...I never had any reliability issues with mind so long as I remembered to put both recoil springs back in when kleaning it...

...I never acutally hit anything with it but I really scared some things with it...

…one thing was a beer can at aboot 30 feet...I had it dancing at very shot, but when we checked it out......no holes...!?!...LoL…

...then I shot at a mark on a tree...got close but no cigar...the tree was clearly intimidated, however...

…another thing was a 300 pound negro male with ill intent, but he changed his mine when Hapo pointed the .32 at his eye...

...it does not always work so well, but most intelligent people would prefer not to get shot...little guns work ok for them...

...the trigger is not good, but it is very comfortable to shoot...it is so small I carry it everywhere all the time, except court...

...mind feed this load w/o issue...

1575216999376.png

Last edited:
Bad idea, 380 should be bare minimum, but with the micro 9mms out now they are just as tiny, of course a J frame airweight Smith is always a winner, just bigger. Glock 43, Sig P365 and Springfield Armory Hellcat are the segment leaders.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Glock 43x PERIOD.

Im lookin for a good deal on one now that i rented and shot one

I have 3 configurations I can use with 2 pistols, the G48 and G43, 72F03D1C-FDAF-44FF-8D03-580E95EF48EF.jpeg this is the smallest of the 3 with 7+1 capacity fits anywhere, ankle, appendix, even under the balls if need be, and I can stoke it with the good shit.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Bad idea, 380 should be bare minimum, but with the micro 9mms out now they are just as tiny, of course a J frame airweight Smith is always a winner, just bigger. Glock 43, Sig P365 and Springfield Armory Hellcat are the segment leaders.
My gunsmith praises the J frame as a carry gun. I'm not a revolver guy.

I'm picking up one of these from a friend for a good deal.

P238 Spartan II Micro-Compact

It may just end up in the tank bag of the Busa. Not exactly sure yet.

S.C.

busa10

BAMF
Ballistics aside, realize that the .380 can be an unreliable round to feed and eject. Apparently because its such a short round that the angles required to feed and eject are pretty steep. That and some of the "defense" rounds have edges that may cause feed problems.
Consider throating the barrel and polishing the feed ramp and make sure you practice with plenty of your chosen defense rounds.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Ballistics aside, realize that the .380 can be an unreliable round to feed and eject. Apparently because its such a short round that the angles required to feed and eject are pretty steep. That and some of the "defense" rounds have edges that may cause feed problems.
Consider throating the barrel and polishing the feed ramp and make sure you practice with plenty of your chosen defense rounds.
It's things like that that make my gunsmith highly praise the J frame. You'll never have a FTF or FTE issue with a revolver. S&W revolvers and 1911s are his bread and butter. I've used this guy since 1999. Not only is he an excellent gunsmith, but he's a fucking hoot to hang with.

S.C.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
You "revolver fans" should really put some rounds thru those safe queens... And you'd experience things like "crimp jump", quite common in lighter weight snub revolvers shooting hotter carry ammo.

You'd experience shells not wanting to eject, which makes for impossible reloads...

In fact, read along your typical revolver forums and you will find a slew of problems associated with revolvers, even w brand new revolvers.
So when i hear "get a revolver man, you don t have to worry about ftf and fte"...i chuckle.

ive actually taken the little jframe to shoot at various IDPA competitions using a speed loader or two (got permission ahead of time to do it, as something of this nature usually violates the rules as it only carries 5 rounds).

ive never encountered a failure to extract, but I was also taught a handy little tip by one of the ROs in my first time using the gun at an event where you hold the open cylinder in your hand (two fingers sticking thru the frame closing around the cylinder) and a good wack with your other palm on the extractor rod pops out even the most stubborn of shells.

also again as mentioned above, its fairly rare i carry moon clips or a spare reloader with this gun...and id expect it to be much more difficult to reload a revolver in an actual real life situation where I just expended my original 5 rounds and still need more....but the old adage goes. 15 is probably better than 5...but 5 is better than zero.

also if you want to be humbled....next time you are at the range pretend your main shooting hand is immobilized and try shooting with your off hand.

I recall this being a challenge at one of the idpa events i shot the jframe at...its pretty incredible how bad a shot the average person is even at 5 yards with their off hand (me included)

busa10

BAMF
You "revolver fans" should really put some rounds thru those safe queens... And you'd experience things like "crimp jump", quite common in lighter weight snub revolvers shooting hotter carry ammo.

You'd experience shells not wanting to eject, which makes for impossible reloads...

In fact, read along your typical revolver forums and you will find a slew of problems associated with revolvers, even w brand new revolvers.
So when i hear "get a revolver man, you don t have to worry about ftf and fte"...i chuckle.
Yep, I've got a S&W model 29-S .44mag that failed to fire a number of times due to a weak main spring. Easy fix, but failures none the less.

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...I have both and the Ruger LCPII is not uncomfortable to shoot and has sights...also it requires a firm grip or it will short stroke and fail to feed...

...I was able to qualify with one as an armed guard, just barely...I qualified with the G30 as well...

...in CT one needs to qualify with the actual unit to be carried...

...the only time you will find me without the 1st gen, early run .32 Keltec is when I am in the shower...there is nothing smaller and lighter and I trust this one...

...some times the smallest and lightest is not the way to go if the gun is uncomfortable to shoot...

...the Kel Tec PF9 is an example of this...it seems more reliable than the Ruger LCPII but is extremely uncomfortable to shoot, tending to slap the trigger finger...

...one would think/hope in an emergency a person's grip will naturally be firm but it is a consideration...

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
Have a number of the P32’s. One got held up in limbo when they grounded all aircraft for 9/11.
Had one spontaneously disassemble itself. Literally fell apart. At the time kel-Tex would ship replacement parts; I fixed it and sold it.

like others have said- it was a good idea 20 years ago if you just hadda have SOMETHING.

Glock 43 does everything it does and more. Stoke with Hornady Critical Defense 9mm specifically designed for short barrels and light guns.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
ive actually taken the little jframe to shoot at various IDPA competitions using a speed loader or two (got permission ahead of time to do it, as something of this nature usually violates the rules as it only carries 5 rounds).

ive never encountered a failure to extract, but I was also taught a handy little tip by one of the ROs in my first time using the gun at an event where you hold the open cylinder in your hand (two fingers sticking thru the frame closing around the cylinder) and a good wack with your other palm on the extractor rod pops out even the most stubborn of shells.

also again as mentioned above, its fairly rare i carry moon clips or a spare reloader with this gun...and id expect it to be much more difficult to reload a revolver in an actual real life situation where I just expended my original 5 rounds and still need more....but the old adage goes. 15 is probably better than 5...but 5 is better than zero.
Shoot Hot carry ammo in that J frame and u will eventually bulge a tube hard enough requiring a hammer to the extractor, a hand or palm won t do it.
A J frame might also have SMOOTHER cyl bores which helps in cases not getting super stuck. Ruger, Taurus, etc don t have very smooth cylinder bores and unless u smooth the shit yourself you will eventually get stuck shells shooting (Hot ammo).

A much more common failure is crimp jump, again shooting lightweight revolvers, which is what most seem to go for these days...
The gun being light, snaps back hard upon firing, causing the bullet inside the cylinder to uncrimp itself off the case and get the cylinder stuck in the process.

So, stick a few hot loads in that J frame and shoot it enough snd you guys won t be so "sold" on revolvers
For some reason ppl don t shoot revolvers enough. They ll shoot thousands thru a glock but 50 lightly loaded target wadcutters thru a revolver and that s enough.
Also, people don t seem to shoot enough of the ammo they carry or intend to carry.
You put a hot round thru that keltec 380 and it ll bark and snap much differently than it does with that Walmart winchester white box stuff.

But lets not get sidetracked here, bottom line is, revolvers are in NO WAY more reliable than a Glock.
You say "get a revolver and it goes Bang everytime"... You're wrong. Maybe it went bang on those 50 light target 38s you put through it, but shoot 500 rounds and throw in some hot carry ammo and lets see if it'll go bang every time.

The cheaper the revolver is, the more it's open to issues related to the above problems w revolvers.
Cheaper revolvers will have shit go loose inside the mechanism, it'll have rough surface inside the cyl bores... again, all one has to do is surf the Ruger or Taurus revolver forums and see just how many are experiencing serious reliability issues with their revolvers.

A Glock will shoot circles around pretty much anything you got. We re talking about a gun going Bang.
Ain t no revolver made that comes close.
Ever seen any 20,000 round torture tests done w revolvers? No... Course not.

Let me add something CRUCIAL here...

To carry a speed loader for another 5 or 6 rounds in order to reload your cowboy gun is a lot harder than carrying a full glock mag. And a lot sllower to reload.

Imagine this scenario...
You own a full service gas station, early on a snowy morning you get a guy drive thru, asks for a fill up, although he looks like a $5 guy at most, but you give him the benefit of the doubt...
You walk towards another car that just pulled up and wants a fillup and as you walk past the 1st fillup, you throw a look inside, and you see the guy's hand gripping a wooden handle barely peeking out the folded blanket sitting on the passenger seat.

You walk by a second time to confirm what you just saw and sure enough, that wooden grip identifies a lot with a cut shotgun stock that is hidden under the folded blanket.
You then exchange looks with the driver, who is now smirking at you, blood shot eyes popping out his head...
You pull your snubby revolver out your jacket pocket to let him know he's in for a gun fight and as you do this, he decides to bail, in order to find an easier hit.

He throws it in drive while gas is still pumping in his car, proceeds to spin his tires on the snow covered roads, yanks the handle and hose out of the pump and attempts to drive off down the road.

You say fuck you crackhead as you run into the road after his car which is barely going anywhere due to the snow and you carefully put 5 rounds thru his back window as he is driving away towards his next target.

He ducks down into the seat as your rounds smash thru his back window, side swipes 3 or 4 cars parked on the street, pulls himself up and then drives off with a now ventilated back window.

Dilema...
What if he decides to whip it around and come back? Your speedloader is sitting comfortably inside your office desk, some 50 yards away because it was too bulky to carry in your pocket.

Lucky for you, mr crackhead decided it s better to keep going...

This is the scenario i was faced with and stopped carrying revolvers since (for defense)

Revolvers are harder to aim, harder to fire, harder to reload and don t carry enough ammo in them for the "initial gun battle"

If you think 5 rounds is enough, you ve never been in a scenario to know, it isn't enough.
So you guys keep carrying them things and think they go Bang all the time, cause "they're revolvers"

Shoot Hot carry ammo in that J frame and u will eventually bulge a tube hard enough requiring a hammer to the extractor, a hand or palm won t do it.
A J frame might also have SMOOTHER cyl bores which helps in cases not getting super stuck. Ruger, Taurus, etc don t have very smooth cylinder bores and unless u smooth the shit yourself you will eventually get stuck shells shooting (Hot ammo).

A much more common failure is crimp jump, again shooting lightweight revolvers, which is what most seem to go for these days...
The gun being light, snaps back hard upon firing, causing the bullet inside the cylinder to uncrimp itself off the case and get the cylinder stuck in the process.

So, stick a few hot loads in that J frame and shoot it enough snd you guys won t be so "sold" on revolvers
For some reason ppl don t shoot revolvers enough. They ll shoot thousands thru a glock but 50 lightly loaded target wadcutters thru a revolver and that s enough.
Also, people don t seem to shoot enough of the ammo they carry or intend to carry.
You put a hot round thru that keltec 380 and it ll bark and snap much differently than it does with that Walmart winchester white box stuff.

But lets not get sidetracked here, bottom line is, revolvers are in NO WAY more reliable than a Glock.
You say "get a revolver and it goes Bang everytime"... You're wrong. Maybe it went bang on those 50 light target 38s you put through it, but shoot 500 rounds and throw in some hot carry ammo and lets see if it'll go bang every time.

The cheaper the revolver is, the more it's open to issues related to the above problems w revolvers.
Cheaper revolvers will have shit go loose inside the mechanism, it'll have rough surface inside the cyl bores... again, all one has to do is surf the Ruger or Taurus revolver forums and see just how many are experiencing serious reliability issues with their revolvers.

A Glock will shoot circles around pretty much anything you got. We re talking about a gun going Bang.

To carry a speed loader for another 5 or 6 rounds in order to reload your cowboy gun is a lot harder than carrying a full glock mag. And a lot sllower to reload.

Imagine this scenario...
You own a full service gas station, early on a snowy morning you get a guy drive thru, asks for a fill up, although he looks like a $5 guy at most, but you give him the benefit of the doubt...
You walk towards another car that just pulled up and wants a fillup and as you walk past the 1st fillup, you throw a look inside, and you see the guy's hand gripping a wooden handle barely peeking out the folded blanket sitting on the passenger seat.

You walk by a second time to confirm what you just saw and sure enough, that wooden grip identifies a lot with a cut shotgun stock that is hidden under the folded blanket.
You then exchange looks with the driver, who is now smirking at you, blood shot eyes popping out his head...
You pull your snubby revolver out your jacket pocket to let him know he's in for a gun fight and as you do this, he decides to bail, in order to find an easier hit.

He throws it in drive while gas is still pumping in his car, proceeds to spin his tires on the snow covered roads, yanks the handle and hose out of the pump and attempts to drive off down the road.

You say fuck you crackhead as you run into the road after his car which is barely going anywhere due to the snow and you carefully put 5 rounds thru his back window as he is driving away towards his next target.

He ducks down into the seat as your rounds smash thru his back window, side swipes 3 or 4 cars parked on the street, pulls himself up and then drives off with a now ventilated back window.

Dilema...
What if he decides to whip it around and come back? Your speedloader is sitting comfortably inside your office desk, some 50 yards away because it was too bulky to carry in your pocket.

This is the scenario i was faced with and stopped carrying revolvers since (for defense)

Revolvers are harder to aim, harder to fire, harder to reload and don t carry enough ammo in them for the "initial gun battle"

If you think 5 rounds is enough, you ve never been in a scenario to know, it isn't enough.
So you guys keep carrying them things and think they go Bang all the time, cause "they're revolvers"
You don't have an ammo issue.

You have a strategy issue.

Imagine this scenario...

Dilema...

opinions vary...ive had WAY more ftf issues with all of my glocks and never a 1 with my jframe.

how is it semi auto ftfs seem to get ignored "its fine, its just the ammo"...but your argument for the revolver being unreliable also appears to be the ammo?

heck I bet if I search enough forums I can find a bunch of people that claim their AKs are unreliable too...when someone makes a gun that never has an issue...ill buy it.

Top Bottom