K9 Video - is this considered normal?

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I saw this in the news, and I'm sure the officer was attempting to discipline the dog for getting out of the cruiser? Are his actions normal? I wouldn't think so? The comments about "no witnesses" and the camera being off concern me as well.

• WTF
Reactions: Red

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I seen this making its rounds in the dog world... I would need to see the ENTIRE video.. AND know just what problems are they working on in the training..

Dogs that I do on Pop doors are ALWAYS trained to come out ready for war and on FIRE FOR HELL. Being the door was open and the officer was already engaging with the decoy I'm not sure what training is happening.

Also that handler said NO.. No is not a down. Making this very confusing to the dog and myself to determine just what is happening.

The dog was not on fire coming out of the truck which makes me question the dog being good or not.

Full helicopter ride is usually reserved for a very hard dog on a big fuck up. Or on handler agression..
I do not see either of those things on this video.

There is way more to the story before I pass judgment.

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
I don't give a fuck what the other side of the story is. That cop is a piece of shit as a human.
Can only imagine what his wife goes through when he doesn't get his way.
Fuck him and the mother fuckers filming.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

The dog didn't look aggressive when he came out, looked like a curious pup to me.

Website
www.bikeland.org
How cute......mine will too.....but she doesn't have to be beat.
Flexing an e peen to stand up for a piece of shit. Figures.....another thin blue dickhead?

I've known a lot of dogs - I'm certainly not a pro like Rhino, but a few members who are K9 officers have guided me through the years. Some dogs are assholes and bred and trained to enhance that assholeness. I have seen it first hand.

hedgehog

BAMF
Couple of years back, i’m taking berkley (he’s a black lab) for his last walk of the night.

A car pulls up along side us.....and out hopped one of the Guardia civil guys I know hops out in plain clothes. He’s working an unmarked car in the area. I hadn’t seen him for a while, so he stopped for a chat.

Problem - for berkley, cars = fun times, so as soon as the cop got out, berkley was in the car like a rat up a drainpipe, and sitting in the seat next to a surprised driver wearing that tongue out labotomised lab expression on his face!

Took a bit of persuasion to get him out as he wanted fun, and all 3 of us were pissing ourselves laughing.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

Is the hanging a dog from a leash an actual training technique? What about the wrestling move into the side of the cruiser. The officer seemed to instinctively do this, that's why I'm asking.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Also that handler said NO.. No is not a down. Making this very confusing to the dog and myself to determine just what is happening.

There is way more to the story before I pass judgment.
Sounded like STAY to me. As for the second part. Absolutely. Still looks very bad. And the comment (in a joking manner) of “No Witnesses” was just dumb. Even in a joking manner it was a stupid thing to say.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Sometimes, you have to totally dominate an "aggressive/work" dog or it will challenge you for the alpha position and win, becoming useless for the job.

Watch some interactions in wolf packs and what this guy did will seem tame in comparison.
Alpha takes no shit from underlings.

In that shot it looked like he may have gone a bit overboard and/or wasn't up to disciplining very well or properly.
80% of all people in every field, suck at their job and are just pretending to know what the fuck they are doing, from what I've seen.

There wasn't enough shown of the situation, like Rhino said, to make a for certain determination.
Had the dog snarled or shown aggression toward him when he approached?
I couldn't tell for sure but, the dog did go submissive, which is optimum.

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
"I couldn't tell for sure but, the dog did go submissive, which is optimum."

Most living things will when constantly beat and hung by their neck.

Bet that piece of shits wife is also very "submissive"

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Sounded like STAY to me. As for the second part. Absolutely. Still looks very bad. And the comment (in a joking manner) of “No Witnesses” was just dumb. Even in a joking manner it was a stupid thing to say.
I'm kinda thinking he is saying
das Stag.. down..

Actually he says Stag three times. Twice as he is walking from the Unit as reinforcement of the command. and one loud command when the dog breaks command. So to take a wild guess this dog has a confidence issue on the out of site stay. Harsh is yet to be determined as I don't know the history of the dog..or what his past issues may have caused.

to sit here and judge with out facts is pure personal opinion..

Drew and one or two here fully understands until you have a dog that your training or working with actually try and kill you. YES kill you no one can understand methods used for control. The working world is not filled with positive trainers walking around saying yesssss.

IMG_20200727_174314_225.jpg

Website
www.bikeland.org
Our previous shepherd husky rescue was a handful. He took 2 years to bring in line. Hours of staring contests. Dominance issues. Was with help from here from a former K9 officer that I finally "won". But always needed reinforcement. Had to lie on top of the dog with all my body weight, holding his jowls and staring straight into his eyes, but the final trick was to wear mirrored sunglasses. Nano pointed out that I would never win the staring contest with the dog without the glasses. His dog had to been dominated once a day.

Anyways. Our current dog is great in our pack but terrible in public around other people and dogs. She's getting old and I've resigned myself to living with her the way she is.

BigBusa

BAMF+
I ain't even gonna watch that video because it'll piss me off.

Instead, I'm gonna go watch this video a few more times. Humans deserve what they ask for sometimes.

call ryan moranski

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'm kinda thinking he is saying
das Stag.. down..

Actually he says Stag three times. Twice as he is walking from the Unit as reinforcement of the command. and one loud command when the dog breaks command. So to take a wild guess this dog has a confidence issue on the out of site stay. Harsh is yet to be determined as I don't know the history of the dog..or what his past issues may have caused.

to sit here and judge with out facts is pure personal opinion..

Drew and one or two here fully understands until you have a dog that your training or working with actually try and kill you. YES kill you no one can understand methods used for control. The working world is not filled with positive trainers walking around saying yesssss.

View attachment 57657
At one time, I took on the care of a 150lb Doberman Pinscher because the guy that owned him lived in a suburb;
where the dog attacked an angry asshole neighbor when he came into the yard running his mouth to the owner about something.
All was good with the dog until the asshole turned to leave and the dog removed his shirt with one bite/pull.
The cops got involved but since the guy was unhurt and in the dog's yard, they gave the dog a second chance but the owner knew he had to let RJ go.

I got to meet and spend some time with the dog for about an hour, who didn't seem to have any issue with me so, I drove him 120 miles home to my place.
Full sized regular cab Dodge 1/2 ton truck.
The dog got the passenger side, the middle of the bench seat and about a 1/4 of the drivers seat.
I was against the dog on one side and drivers door on the other; the whole way home with a stop at a roadside diner for some fresh home battered chicken breast strips.
The dog waited in my truck and I went in to order.
His head was at the drivers window and his ass was on the passenger window.
The fucking dog was huge, not fat, in case anyone has not understood that at this point.

Anyway, I got two orders of the chicken and wisely ate mine inside.
When I got out to the truck, JR knew what he wanted, showed it well and waited for me to offer the chicken to him.
There were six in the packet, at least two breasts per serving, until I moved them to his face...
...and then they were gone.
He was happy, I still had my hand so, I was happy too.

This was before my neck surgery and I knew if the fucker wanted to kill me he could have easily.
The most difficult thing to do is to not be afraid when facing such an animal because, if you show or even have any, the dog will not comply...
...the dog will own you, like so many dogs of all sizes do with their owners.

We worked out a morning and evening routine where I'd take him for a mild jog up and down my dirt/rock driveway;
which at the time that was about a 1/2 mile total down and back through the woods and National Forrest all around us.

I used a long lead and a positive, upbeat attitude every time when working with JR and he would still make dominance moves to test me and my usual response would be to ignore him.
Mostly it would happen when we got within 100 feet of the highway from the dirt driveway.

I would stop and he would want to keep going to the road so, we'd stand there and I'd look away from him and stand still, even when he would signal that he was ready to go back.
We would stay just a bit longer and then I'd make the move to get moving again.

He did other little challenges too, I wouldn't/didn't let him lean against me or stand on my feet but, didn't make a big deal about it.
He was good with his food, not protective at all with me.
JR was a good dog, that had a problem with assholes behaving like assholes.

My Uncle moved out close to me, his driveway just off the driveway to my place, past where JR and I usually stopped our walk/jog.
Uncle had/has a tendency to be animated, loud and obnoxious, just the kind of shit that JR didn't like plus, he had brought his kids, pre-teens out to live with him as well.
He met JR and I explained the situation but, he lost his shit saying that I was being irresponsible by having such dog out there, in the woods/country.
I knew he was fearful of the dog's potential and I'm pretty sure JR knew it too.
JR stayed at the house and would not run off usually but, I told my Uncle that if the dog ever showed up being aggressive or threatening his kids that he had my okay the shoot him.
Still unacceptable and I didn't need any extra shit at the time as I was in school working on a pre med path so, I found a business owner that I trusted and explained what he was getting and JR left my care.

I only ever had to use a loud harsh "NO!" command once, when another dog of mine and he got into a test for who would be alpha, a Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix about a 1/4 JR's size.
It was a viscous exchange that ended when I barked "No!" in my best Sergeant voice.
JR already had him on his back and was pushing him along with his face/mouth/head and instantly released him on command.
They never had a problem after that.

Respect goes a long way better than fear and intimidation with dogs...

...or acting like prey around them or try to challenge a new to you dog for dominance.

There are still some dogs I've come across that I would not hesitate to shoot because of their behavior/lack of proper upbringing/training.

...a little morning story.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I have had dogs that left bleeding pretty good... those dogs are only discussed face to face. Methods are sometimes harsh in the petco training world to bring some dogs to a working level.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Yeah, older already set with bad habits type dogs are a lot more work, even when they are healthy and without injury.
Not sure it's even worth trying to get them on track, especially if the owners don't understand or follow instructions given them.

I have had some very good already grown dogs that were trouble for their owners that I didn't have any real problems with.

Best to get them, pet dogs not work dogs, young so they learn what is expected with as little harshness as possible but, still a firm hand/sharp tone.
They read us very well, naturally.
I do believe they can actually feel our emotional state besides understanding our words, from the interactions I've had over my life.

Even as Todo got older and was having spine issues with shifting into an angry old man attitude at times; he would always obey when I issued the command to kennel.
I really miss that little guy.

I need to get me back to ambulating well before I take on a new pup though, to be fair and able to give enough attention to it.

Top Bottom